Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

40% Don't want black neighbours

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This article from todays guardian makes interesting reading. The small minded ness of people never ceases to amaze me. I guess "newspapers" such as the Scum and the Hate Mail are one of the catalysts for this:rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    I guess "newspapers" such as the Scum and the Hate Mail are one of the catalysts for this

I wouldn't think so myself, unless you've a concrete example in mind
  • Options
    Sadly that is what racist manipulation and lies by sectors of the media, perpetuated by idiotic comments from TV personalities, can do to a nation: it can turn 4 out of 10 people into deeply misguided bigots at best or plain racists at worst.

Well that's freedom of expression for you I guess.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    I wouldn't think so myself, unless you've a concrete example in mind

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2004030688,00.html
  • Options
    But you know, BlackArab, I'm inclined to believe that Sun story, why would you say it's inflammatory?
  • Options
    But you know, BlackArab, I'm inclined to believe that Sun story, why would you say it's inflammatory?

Oh. My. God. People *believe* this xenophobic, murdoch empire trash.:eek2:
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind people thinking this if they could justify it. For instance, if I was a stereotypical, xenophobic English builder ( well, most builders read the Sun) and my house lost its value because asylum seekers were living in the council flats round the corner, I wouldn't want any foreigner living next door.

My neighbours didn't weren't happy about our house being built where it was because everyone else on the street was white, and because it is a private road, they had real community spirit that they thought we might ruin.

Ten odd years down the line and they love us. :)

It's all about exposing the ignorance, and breaking down the boundaries.
  • Options
    The Guardian article says its about Britons though. I dont personally see how having black Bitish neighbours would be any different to anything else.
  • Options

Because I remember reading the similair stories about the Hong Kong Chinese who would be flooding to Britain after the reunification with China, still haven't met one yet.

Because they quote 'leader' as saying all 50000 Roma in Poland are coming - really? has he spoken to them all? carried out a MORI poll or is this just speculation?

Because of their track record on issues dealing with immigration, asylum-seekers and gypsies
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonShiner
    The Guardian article says its about Britons though. I dont personally see how having black Bitish neighbours would be any different to anything else.

I wish more people thought like you but unfortunately ignorance combined with inflammatory press articles and politicians are the reasons for the surveys results.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonShiner

Well it refers to immigrants, and however many generations some black people are, many people still see them as immigrants.
  • Options

Oh dear. :( The Sun and the rest of the tabloid media have consistently told lies around immigration asylum.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Oh dear. :( The Sun and the rest of the tabloid media have consistently told lies around immigration asylum.

Damn that freedom of speech ay?:p
  • Options
    aye
  • Options
    but unfortunately ignorance combined with inflammatory press articles and politicians are the reasons for the surveys results.

or personal experience. i wouldn't necessarily object to having black/asian neighbours but i wouldn't want to live in very black/asian areas, black areas have a lot of crime and i doubt asians in their own areas would be interested in white people that much
  • Options
    OK. Whatever. Yeh.

:banghead:
  • Options
    or personal experience. i wouldn't necessarily object to having black/asian neighbours but i wouldn't want to live in very black/asian areas, black areas have a lot of crime and i doubt asians in their own areas would be interested in white people that much

Oh dear. :(

What an appropriate name you have. :rolleyes:

Maybe you should try living in a black or asian area. You might well be suprised.
  • Options
    black areas have a lot of crime

Sorry,

all areas have crime. you could live in the most poshest white estate and still have crime.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Maybe you should try living in a black or asian area. You might well be suprised.

Where you live is it mostly black/asian and if so are you treat any differently from the black community ? if you were black would you fit in that area better or are you accepted as you are ?
    Also be honest but do you get much verbal from the black/asian community ?

I just wanted to get an insight from a white person in a mainly coloured area.
  • Options
    Where I live it isn't mostly anything, its a fairly equal mix of black, white (not many asian though) and Spanish, French, Portugese etc etc.

I'm accepted pretty much as I am I think. There are pubs that are mainly white, pubs that are mainly black and pubs that are well mixed. If I go to a pub that is mainly black I have no problems.
  • Options
    Found this
    http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001/profiles/00AY-A.asp
    2001 census results for London borough of Lambeth.
    Black Caribbean (12.1%)
    Black African (11.6%)
    Other Black (2.1%)

So Lambeth is about 25% black.
  • Options
    Is black, just an immigrant, or really of african/caribean origin?

I wouldn't mind a colored neighbor moving in next to where I am currently.
    But I wouldn't move into a neighborhood (willingly) which is dominated by a specific kind immigrants (mixtures are okay). Frankly, I don't feel safe (and yes, I am the daughter of immigrants myself, and they neither would willingly move to such a neighborhood).
  • Options
    In this country Black is African/Caribbean, can be originally an immigrant but most of us were born and raised here.

Frankly I would say its natural to feel wary of unfamiliar surroundings if your not used to it but its psychological once your used to it you wonder what all the fuss was about.

The area I grew up in was split pretty even between Blacks, Whites and Asians. I lived in Portsmouth for six months a few years ago, this is a town with virtually no ethnic minorities and I did often feel a bit nervous when I first got there but after a while that disappeared.
  • Options
    How many people actually took this survey? 1000
    I wouldn't say that this is necessarily the view of the whole country. For every Sun article, there is another one from the other side stirring up the race issue which I think does more harm than good, as far as I'm concerned, more people than ever are tolerant to other races these days.
  • Options
  • Options
    It's not all the 'Evil Asian Gangs Terrorising Whites Hell' we've been told about either.

Yes there are areas with tension. But the great majority of places with mixed raced populations are perfectly safe and friendly, and all sections of the community interact with each other just fine.

I'm sure most of the white people of Bradford are not to blame for the tension. Just as most of Asians aren't either. But every action provokes a reaction, and violent Asian youths are only the result of decades of prejudice, abuse and attacks the Asian community has been at the receiving end of.
  • Options
    I would most like to live in a mixed area. I wouldn't like to live in a predominantly Asian area. I did that for a year and I didn't feel happy or welcome there, I got harrassed and it was annoying, I only lived there cos it was cheap. There's lots of "Asian" areas in Birmingham, I wouldn't want to live there, I wouldn't want to be a minority, but I think mixed areas are the best, where there are no minorities but people from everywhere.
  • Options
    Is it just me or is virtualy every thread in this section about race now.

Cant we all just say our views once and then move on?
  • Options
    Yes, nothing seems to rise passions nowadays around here like race and immigration.

Long gone are the days when the evil Americans were the subject of all debate. Obviously Dubya is not what he used to be ;)
  • Options
    It just seems to me that we're going round in circles, the usual round of.

"The hate mail makes everything up and their stiring up trouble"

"But there really are floods of immigrants"

"No there isnt, look at the facts"

"But they're diluting our culture"

Bla Bla....
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    In that case, ask David what it's like as a white person living in Bratfud. It's not all the peaches and cream that Blagsta seems to think comes naturally to racially mixed areas. I wish that he'd just acknowledge that there are areas with significant tension and it is not All The White Peoples Fault.

By the way Vanessa - the cd came :D

My experience is of no significant problems living in racially mixed areas. Of course you get the odd arsehole, be they white, black, asian or whatever. But generally everyone gets on. Thats been my experience of living in 4 different cities in the UK.

Feel free to write about your own experiences.