Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

40% Don't want black neighbours

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There is a difference between racially mixed areas, and racially segregated areas.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dantheman
    How many people actually took this survey? 1000
    I wouldn't say that this is necessarily the view of the whole country. For every Sun article, there is another one from the other side stirring up the race issue which I think does more harm than good, as far as I'm concerned, more people than ever are tolerance to other races these days.

Statisitcally 1000 is a big enough sample to say quite confidently that the result sreflect the public mood.

Very few surveys will have samples larger than this because the extra accuracy gained is relatively small but the time and cost quite large........
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Statisitcally 1000 is a big enough sample to say quite confidently that the result sreflect the public mood.

Only when the people are random, of a random social class, random area, random gender, random age, etc.
    If this was a vote made by the Sun, then you get a specific type of person responding which might not display the public opinion as accurate as it ca be done in such votes (which isn't always that accurate, really).

Btw Toad, totally different question, when studying economics what level of maths do you think is required?
  • Options
    The survey in question was a MORI survey so I would imagine that there sampling techniques were appropriate.

I know the Guardian always makes a point of mentioning how the survey was conducted, not sure about other papers, I would be a bit doubtful if the results were given with no indication of how they got them......

I would say that A-level (age 17-18) standard is definately useful but certainly not vital.

As far as I know every undergraduate degree has a Maths course in the first year that will teach you what you need to know for future courses, if you were to pay attention in that then you will be fine.

My mate didn't do A-level Maths (I did) and he gets higher marks than me normally, including the more Maths heavy courses so it doesn't need to be a problem...........
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    There is a difference between racially mixed areas, and racially segregated areas.

Well yes. They mean the opposite thing.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    this is a town with virtually no ethnic minorities and I did often feel a bit nervous when I first got there but after a while that disappeared.

Did you feel that people watched your every move ? Did you find that people didnt speak to you or were afraid to approach you ?
  • Options
    if i had not lived in moss side my cullinary skills would not be what they are. moss side ...black area ...rusholme ...same area ...arab.
    lonsight ...asian irish white english.
    what has changed since 9/11 is the arab area ...they are very nervous of big white skinheads like me being in town and with good reason. where there was once a very cheery welcome and lots of banter there is now serious tension.
    that's not the fault of the people on the streets ...in the shops and restuarants. the fault lies firmly with the politicians and the press. we were doing fine until we were told to be afraid.
    here in north wales it is very strange. the welsh are extremely racist toward the english. they are fine with asians and orientals but blacks ...oh no way!
    two black guys came to visit me. i wasn't home and they weren't sure of exactly where i lived. they went and had a couple of pints in the local and asked about me. no one would tell them anything. when i did arrive home the police were waiting outside my house ..."do you know any black people"? err yeah quite a lot why? "two of them have been in the area looking for you" ...and how mr plod would you know ...has somthing happened? "nothings happened but the people in the area kept an eye on them till they were seen leaving town ...we couldn't get any officers here unfortunately ...do you want to check your property before we leave"?
    i told them to piss off. made a phone call and sure enough it's two good freinds i haven't seen in a while ...one being a postman ...is that fear and ignorance or what? i just wouldn't want a copper living next door to me ...whatever fucking colour he was.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Found this
    http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001/profiles/00AY-A.asp
    2001 census results for London borough of Lambeth.

So Lambeth is about 25% black.

And 75% are white.
    What's your point?

At present the total ethnic minority population in the UK is about 5.5%. Less than 6 million in a population of over 60 million.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    And 75% are white.
    What's your point?

At present the total ethnic minority population in the UK is about 5.5%. Less than 6 million in a population of over 60 million.

My point? Answering Becky's question.

Whats your point? :confused:
  • Options
    And 75% are white.
    What's your point?

Woudn't they be about 3-4 million then? :confused:
  • Options
    http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=297

now this is a statistic

*is one of the 390,000*

There are many ways to f*ck the system, my young padawan...
  • Options
    How the hell is that representative of white British people??? I never took part, in fact I never even heard it was taking place and if I didn't I'm sure a lot of people didn't hear about this. Thus it ain't representative.

Also, questionnaires are hardly accurate on measuring attitudes, can be rigged and lack validity.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    How the hell is that representative of white British people??? I never took part, in fact I never even heard it was taking place and if I didn't I'm sure a lot of people didn't hear about this. Thus it ain't representative.

Also, questionnaires are hardly accurate on measuring attitudes, can be rigged and lack validity.
    ...and the trouble with this survey is that it asked a thousand people from all walks of life across the nation ...making it anything but representative.
    it would have given a truer picture if it had done a number of different surveys ...of different groups of people ...pensioners ...country folk ...inner city teenagers ...people with experience etc. that way the figures would paint a truer picture of the nations feelings and who exactly is feeling what.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Did you feel that people watched your every move ? Did you find that people didnt speak to you or were afraid to approach you ?

I get that in Bristol. Can't say it was any different in Portsmouth.
  • Options
    Bristol's got quite a black population hasn't it?
  • Options
    About 5,600 out of 380,000. Can't say I get stared at too often in Bristol either but Somerset, now theres a different ball game. Just think 'The Slaughtered Lamb' effect ;)
  • Options
    http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001/profiles/00bb.asp

my area, i am technically a minority as in white/nonwhite goes...
  • Options
    About 5,600 out of 380,000. Can't say I get stared at too often in Bristol either but Somerset, now theres a different ball game. Just think 'The Slaughtered Lamb' effect ;)

but do yu think they are just afraid to approach you like they would any other race ?
    see cos its like me when I walk down the street im in a world of my own an i dont notice anyone.
    Do you not think its more a thing of they dont know you so they dont speak ?
    Its hard for me to stike up conversation with just anyone in the street :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    but do yu think they are just afraid to approach you like they would any other race ?
    see cos its like me when I walk down the street im in a world of my own an i dont notice anyone.
    Do you not think its more a thing of they dont know you so they dont speak ?
    Its hard for me to stike up conversation with just anyone in the street :)

To be honest Becks the looks I get when in somewhere like Somerset is usually because they don't really see a lot of Black people and I imagine it would be the same if I was White and had green hair. Its not something I take offence at, in fact I feel like a celeb when I walk into a country pub and conversation stops.

:cool:
  • Options
    in fact I feel like a celeb when I walk into a country pub and conversation stops.

lol, its as bad as that :D

I love it if someone stares at me and im in a bit of a funny mood and I start waving to them and say "hi", then they look away in disgust :lol:
  • Options
    But every action provokes a reaction, and violent Asian youths are only the result of decades of prejudice, abuse and attacks the Asian community has been at the receiving end of.

So when I'm a victim of racism (like I am in Bratfud sometimes) if I went and burned down half of Manningham it'd be excusable?

Err, no.

About that Sun article though: so what if it is true? The telling line was "they want to come here to work"- if they want to work they're welcome here with open arms, IMHO.
  • Options
    i was mugged 5 times as a young teenager in south london, every single time by blacks. i dont think it was because i was white, just that i was there, and a lot smaller than them. however, if a black youth is beaten up by whites, its racism, every single time.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Major Tom
    i was mugged 5 times as a young teenager in south london, every single time by blacks. i dont think it was because i was white, just that i was there, and a lot smaller than them. however, if a black youth is beaten up by whites, its racism, every single time.

Rubbish. Got any evidence?
  • Options
    I lived for a while in N. london, a fairly black area (Tottenham) and while they couldn't have been a majority, every crime against the person I knew of (and there were many) was down to them, from persistent muggings to the occasional murder (never reported beyond the local press). I moved to a poor mainly white area, Ponders End and had no trouble.

For safety's sake, i would never live in a black area
  • Options
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    I lived for a while in N. london, a fairly black area (Tottenham) and while they couldn't have been a majority, every crime against the person I knew of (and there were many) was down to them, from persistent muggings to the occasional murder (never reported beyond the local press). I moved to a poor mainly white area, Ponders End and had no trouble.

"Them", "Us"...
  • Options
    Originally posted by ladymuck

No, but I bet you wouldn't live in the worst white council estates either.

It's not black, it's not white, it's not greeen, it's POVERTY that causes crime. Nothing else.

So take your racist filth elsewhere.
  • Options
    poverty does not cause crime, that's crap. my parents were both born in the aftermath of ww2, when there was abject poverty, rationing was still in place and neither of them have a criminal record. crime is a result of personal weakness and lack of respect for the consequences of your actions. some crime is petty, some crime is heinous, but it all involves breaking the law somehow.
  • Options
    Kermit:
    No, but I bet you wouldn't live in the worst white council estates either.

I wasn't describing living on a council estate but a mostly owner-occupied, not 'poor' in any obvious sense inner-city area, where a disproportionate amount of crime was being committed by some black people.

So take your poor analogies elsewhere.
  • Options
    Well I lived in the equivalent area in Bristol but 99% white with the criminals being the same. Would you suggest that white areas are best avoided or only the ones in Bristol? :rolleyes: