Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Riceboys - Do you have this problem in th UK?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I hate it when they come up alongside you or tailgate you, it frightens me. Ive got a fucking baby in the car, and they think we want to race? They just dont give a shit. I couldnt give two hoots how fast their car goes. I dont see a problem with going over the speed limit on motorways if conditions allow, but racing other drivers is not on, A car is a lethal weapon , not a toy.
  • Options
    Lots of people can get confused into the stereotype of 'boy racer' just because people have a love of cars & modify them.

The way I see it is that the typical 'boy racer' owns a beat up car which they don't give a crap about & does dangerous things like hand-brake turns, burn outs, donuts & J-turns in your local retail park car park. Also, the whole drag off the traffic lights is just crap aswell. Like Kev in his 2.0l converted Nova saying that he beat an evo VIII just because he was in front that is classed as a win & they don't think that the evo drivers has got better things to do than race beat up Nova's because the evo driver knows that they could easily whip the Nova's arse if he wanted to.

I suppose I could be classed as a 'boy racer' but i'm the opposite of that which is a car enthusiast where there car is their baby & they treat it good & they modify it as a hobby so that their car is individual to themselves & doesn't look like all the other cars of the same model.

.:Crispy:.
  • Options
    Im going to come across as being really immature here, and blah blah blah... but i love going out with my mates in their modded and treasured little corsas, astras and civics ~ having a few races and going for hacks in the countryside in Kent with our mates, had a few crashes which didnt put me off jsut encouraged me to wear a seatbelt... its a bit of fun, which fair enough could end in misery. But thats me, im irrisponsible. its a giggle.
  • Options
    I think most people between 17 & 23 that have nice cars are classed a boy racers because... they have nice cars. I don't think I was classed as one... But then again, I don't know any boy racers who has/had a car like my old one.
  • Options
    Originally posted by JoolzUK
    I think most people between 17 & 23 that have nice cars are classed a boy racers because... they have nice cars. .

completly agree... my mate loves his car, spends most of his pay modding it, making it look gorgeous and different to to others of the same model and is constantly stopped, when driving sensibly but perhaps like 10mph over the speed limit because he looks like a boy racer, hes got a nice car. thats all.
  • Options
    Whats the average boy racer car then?

Thb i think if i could drive (i swaer they will never give me a license!!!), there is no way id be racing my astra i love it too much. Sit and look at it out of my bedroom window :D

I know it was novas a few years ago, people then decided corasa were the way to go :rolleyes: seems to be astras and civics round my area now.

Whats it in everyone elses areas?
  • Options
    one thing that really gets to me is when they think its alright to speed over a zebra crossing when there's people stood waiting to cross. i nearly got my foot taken off once. people are so impatiant, thats anyone that is. The majority dont seem to be able to wait for any pedestrians, let alone those who it may take longer to cross, ie. and elderly person, or someone with kids. they think that if the pedestrian isnt on the middle of the crossing - they dont have to wait. i cant stand that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    its probably got nothing to do with him having a "nice" car.. 10mph over the speed limit is still over.. it doesn't matter what car your driving

true, but, tbh round his area the police are lucky if anybody is driving under 70 mph... trying to corss outside his house is a nightmare, hes a good boy in comparison! maybe his is just the only car that they can be arsed to pull beause he aint speeding by too much and doesnt invlove a chase :chin:
  • Options
    Originally posted by lil_minx
    maybe his is just the only car that they can be arsed to pull beause he aint speeding by too much and doesnt invlove a chase

or maybe it's that he's speeding and it's illegal.

i doubt very much that cars will be doing 70 in a residential area... unless he lives on a dual carriageway.
  • Options
    I cant believe some of the people here are making excuses for these tossers. Just because you have a nice car, or just because 'everyone else' does it, does NOT make it ok. Its wrong, and it kills - get that in your heads
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    *applauds* well said

seconded
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin

i doubt very much that cars will be doing 70 in a residential area... unless he lives on a dual carriageway.

doubt it all you like.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Speeding is not necessarily always dangerous driving - it certainly it doesn't help the anyones chances in a crash but there are many, many more form of dangerous driving that I expect many of you do every day without realising. It just happens to be easiest for the autorities to regulate.

I know many people who stick to the speed limit and yet are an accident waiting to happen because of their concentration (i.e lack of it). I know a few people who drive fast but are also much more thoughtful and are often better drivers.

At the end of the day driving safely is a combination of many things. What speeders must realise is that they can be the safest drivers in the world but all it takes is some other fuckwit to be at fault and the consequences are horrendous.

As for modyfing cars - surley that just a way to personalise your own motor - it means nothing else. Just because you have a fast car doesn't mean you have to drive it fast. I've spent quite a lot of time and money on my Alpha and am proud of what I've done. Not only has it incresed my mechanical knowledge, I've enjoyed it - it doesn't mean I drive too fast or behave badly towards other road users. Some of the people here can stick their fucking stereotypes up their arse. :rolleyes:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    or maybe it's that he's speeding and it's illegal.

:yes:

Some of them seem to be topping 70 in this area, which is kind-of residential. Well, it seems that fast...like walking along next to a race track.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive
    Just because you have a fast car doesn't mean you have to drive it fast.

There's apparently an insurance company for people who modify their cars, and it's a lot cheaper, as they're more likely to take care of their cars, as they've spent so much money on modifying.

However, I do agree that there are quite a few who drive like twats at stupid speeds...but it isn't all of them.
  • Options
    Speeding is not necessarily always dangerous driving - it certainly it doesn't help the anyones chances in a crash but there are many, many more form of dangerous driving that I expect many of you do every day without realising. It just happens to be easiest for the autorities to regulate.

I know many people who stick to the speed limit and yet are an accident waiting to happen because of their concentration (i.e lack of it). I know a few people who drive fast but are also much more thoughtful and are often better drivers.

At the end of the day driving safely is a combination of many things. What speeders must realise is that they can be the safest drivers in the world but all it takes is some other fuckwit to be at fault and the consequences are horrendous.

As for modyfing cars - surley that just a way to personalise your own motor - it means nothing else. Just because you have a fast car doesn't mean you have to drive it fast. I've spent quite a lot of time and money on my Alpha and am proud of what I've done. Not only has it incresed my mechanical knowledge, I've enjoyed it - it doesn't mean I drive too fast or behave badly towards other road users. Some of the people here can stick their fucking stereotypes up their arse. :rolleyes:

i like that post

i agree... :yes:

im guilty of sterotrying, to some extent, but then at the same time ive got many firends with modded cars who arent boy racers and never will be... meeting them helped me see that a modded car doesnt make you a boy racer.

and Kaffrin, if police are driving along the road theyre hardly going to pull a bloke going 35-40mph instead of 30, when theres others doing much faster (ive been in a car when this has happened) unless they have other reasons for doing so. and an extra 5-10 mph really inst that noticable. i think.
  • Options

This is very true. In fact, it is not speed in itself that is dangerous, it is inappropriate speed. For instance, driving down an empty motorway on a clear summer's at 100mph (assuming your car is good enough to handle it) is safer than driving past a school at home time sticking ridgidly to the speed limit of 30mph.

Also, I'm gonna stick my neck out. In the right hands, a fast car is actually safer than a slower one. A fast car doesn't HAVE to be driven fast. But in a tight spot, it can give you another route out of trouble, by a quick burst of acceleration. Also, faster cars generally have wider tyres (more grip), better handling, more powerful brakes (inc ABS) etc... Had to make a very quick stop the other day in my 206 GTi... I'm sure had I been in a 'normal' car I would have hit that kid. And before you ask, no I wasn't speeding..

Let the flaming commence... :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by moomog

Let the flaming commence... :)

You wont get flamed by me... i agree :yes:
  • Options
    an extra 5-10 mph really inst that noticable. i think.

an extra 5-10 mph could quite easily be the difference between the person you hit living and dying.

i know what you're saying, but it's the same as saying 'i only killed one person, why are you arresting me? there's a guy over there who's killed twenty'.

it's still illegal.
  • Options
    an extra 5-10 mph could quite easily be the difference between the person you hit living and dying.

i know what you're saying, but it's the same as saying 'i only killed one person, why are you arresting me? there's a guy over there who's killed twenty'.

it's still illegal.

thats not what i meant at all, what i meant was its not noticable if you are watching a car drive along and telling the speed its easy to be 5-10 miles out in your estimate. Seeing a car drive 30 and a car drive 35 theres not too much difference in the speed if you are judging it yourself.

Not that there isnt a difference between 30 and 40mph, because, obviously - there is.

I dont see why so maay people are screwin about speed ive been run over by a car going faster than was sensible, if it wasnt for my friend being there and pulling me i would have died instead of just ending up in hospital. Dont see me moaning like speeding is a sin!
  • Options
    Just because you have a fast car doesn't mean you have to drive it fast.
    "Just because you have a gun, doesn't mean you have to use it"?

Why else would you have a gun?
  • Options
    I dont see why so maay people are screwin about speed

Because they think people that drive too fast in residential areas are ****s, most probably.

I don't agree with all speed limits, some of them are put there as a knee-jerk reaction to some twat crashing, more often than not caused by their own stupidity.
    And, of course, the 70 limit on motorways that was introduced due to Jaguar taking the piss whilst testing (not to mention people blowing up their Anglias by hammering the fuck out of them).

Others, however, like the 30 limit in residential/other urban areas and the 40 limit in the New Forest are there for a bloody good reason.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skateside
    was a large dog stand - I mean - sub woofer -

Lol dunno why that one made me chuckle.

My dad's a boy racer, but he says he does it properly. He has a G-reg Volvo Estate with a turbo-charger built in.

Yes! There's hope for my Volvo 440 yet, watch out notts here comes the next Girl Racer *flicks fingers* Innit. :cool:

*the above is extreme sarcasm by the way :)

Boy Racers are on a whole tossers who are trying to show that they can handle powered cars and are therefore macho. Usually find that the only people they impress are immature little twats, immature females and others of their own ilk. Subaru Impreza's are cak. They're trashy and they look like shite, especially blue ones with gold alloys.
  • Options

What about if you were a gun collector - you just liked the look of them, or the way they feel in your hand?

You like your bikes don't you? Why woudl you ever need to get anything above a 125? Why would there ever be a reason to get anything that went over 70?

I want something good, and something to be proud of. I want something to impress - powerful, fast, good looking cars that are going to do that.

Generally the nicest cars are also the fastest. Doesn't mean you have to use the speed?
    Subaru Impreza's are cak

Certainly prefer one to a Volvo 440? :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

I have a porsche 911, its meant to go fast, its meant to be flashy. but i dont drive it fast - i have never intentially gone over the speed limit (and if i have actually gone over it its only by 1 or 2 miles p/h before i realise). its just a rule i live by; i dont want to kill anyone, especially not myself - and i dont want my car damaged, no fucking way. speed limits are there for a reason; yes some of them seem ridiculous - but id rather abide and live than rebel and die, or pay a fine and get points on my liscence, putting my god damn insurance up higher than it is already (if thats humanly possible). i dont see what the big problem with that is to be honest.
  • Options
    and Kaffrin, if police are driving along the road theyre hardly going to pull a bloke going 35-40mph instead of 30, when theres others doing much faster (ive been in a car when this has happened) unless they have other reasons for doing so. and an extra 5-10 mph really inst that noticable. i think.

dont agree.

my mum recently got fined and had to go on a road safety course (rather than take the points on her liscence) because she was caught doing 36mp/h in a 30 zone. that's only 6mp/h, but she could still have killed someone rather than just knocked them in a coma for a while. and my partner failed his test first time round for doing 38 in a 30 zone.

they do care, and they will catch you. hopefully before you've done any damage, but more often than not after.
  • Options
    You like your bikes don't you? Why woudl you ever need to get anything above a 125? Why would there ever be a reason to get anything that went over 70?
    Well, my little 125 can do 62 if I red-line all 5 gears, so I think a bigger bike will be needed at some point :)

Another thing is the sheer accelleration you can get from larger bikes. It will allow me to pull away faster, get into a gap that I can't on my current bike.

I can see what you're getting at, but my bike won't be done up like that, it won't look like a racer, I won't want to race it. The accessories I will add to my bike will make a ride more comfortable, or let me carry more luggage, or give me better handling, but really won't be that noticable.

Besides, I only ever ride tourers :angel:
  • Options

Come now - we all know any bike over a 125 will go like shit off a stick! Tourer or not, the power is there ...it's just a case of what you whether your going to abuse it or not.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

Certainly prefer one to a Volvo 440? :D

Nope, i'd rather look like an old fogey than a rudie :) That's how much i hate impreza's. I think this hate also stems from the fact that we used to have a customer come in the pub who owned one and all he did was talk about his fucking impreza, how much it cost and how fast it was. Try listening to that for 3 hours on a sunday night :)
  • Options
    Well, my little 125 can do 62 if I red-line all 5 gears, so I think a bigger bike will be needed at some point :)

Another thing is the sheer accelleration you can get from larger bikes. It will allow me to pull away faster, get into a gap that I can't on my current bike.

I can see what you're getting at, but my bike won't be done up like that, it won't look like a racer, I won't want to race it. The accessories I will add to my bike will make a ride more comfortable, or let me carry more luggage, or give me better handling, but really won't be that noticable.

Exactly, the same as a fast car will let you accelerate faster and get into 'that gap'.

At the end of the day, hopefully myfiesta mk6 will be first to featured in fast car/max power,that doesnt make me evil.

I enjoy the look/feel of the car. Plus, if you had a house, would you leave it standard? Or decorate it and even do some DIY?

Well I don't have a house, so I'm doing up my car.. and to be honest, the more of you that shake your head and frown when I was drive past doing the speed limit, the more I want to do it.