Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

General chit chat

Comments

• Options
    Past UserPast User Recovering🥀 LondonPosts: 0 Just got here
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Ava16Ava16 Posts: 43 Boards Initiate
    @zaynab_5
    Your welcome xx
  • Options
  • Options
    @zaynab_5

Psychology, maths, english literature
  • Options
    GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    edited July 2021
    Hi
  • Options
  • Options
    @zaynab_5

I like it here already! Everyone is nice, it's a safe space here

Oh don't you worry I'll smash my subjects :joy: thank you!
  • Options
    @zaynab_5
    Another thing:
    zaynab_5 wrote: »
    Hi there!
    Feeling paranoid is quite normal when you are going through schizophrenia/psychosis. Getting a diagnosis of schizophrenia can be devastating. You may be struggling to think clearly, manage your emotions, relate to other people, or even function normally. But having schizophrenia doesn’t mean you can’t live a full and meaningful life. Despite the widespread misconception that people with schizophrenia have no chance of recovery or improvement, the reality is much more hopeful. Although currently there is no cure for schizophrenia, you can treat and manage it with psychiatric medication, self-help strategies, and supportive therapies (as you have said that you are having therapies). Since schizophrenia is often episodic, periods of remission from the severest symptoms often provide a good opportunity to start employing self-help strategies that may help to limit the length and frequency of future episodes. A diagnosis of schizophrenia is not a life-sentence of ever-worsening symptoms and hospitalisations. In fact, you have more control over your recovery than you probably realise. The majority of people with schizophrenia get better over time, not worse.
    Coping with schizophrenia is a lifelong process. Recovery doesn’t mean you won’t experience any more challenges from the illness or that you’ll always be symptom-free. What it does mean is that you are learning to manage your symptoms, developing the support you need, and creating a satisfying, purpose-driven life. A treatment plan that combines medication with schizophrenia self-help, supportive services, and therapy is the most effective approach.

The earlier you catch schizophrenia and begin treatment with an experienced mental health professional, the better your chances of getting and staying well. Successful schizophrenia treatment depends on a combination of factors. Medication alone is not enough. It’s important to also educate yourself about the illness, communicate with your doctors and therapists, build a strong support system, take self-help measures, and stick to your treatment plan. Pursuing self-help strategies such as changing your diet, relieving stress, and seeking social support may not seem like effective tools to manage such a challenging disorder as schizophrenia, but they can have a profound effect on the frequency and severity of symptoms, improve the way you feel, and increase your self-esteem. And the more you help yourself, the less hopeless and helpless you’ll feel, and the more likely your doctor will be able to reduce your dose of medication. While schizophrenia treatment should be individualised to your specific needs, you should always have a voice in the treatment process and your needs and concerns should be respected. Treatment works best when you, your family, and your medical team all work together.

Your attitude towards schizophrenia treatment matters, here are some tips of how my attitude was when I was going through psychosis:
    -Accept your diagnosis. As upsetting as a diagnosis of schizophrenia can be, resolving to take a proactive role in treatment and self-help is crucial to your recovery. That means making healthy lifestyle changes, taking prescribed medications, and attending medical and therapy appointments.
    -Don’t buy into the stigma of schizophrenia. Many fears about schizophrenia are not based on reality. Take your illness seriously but don’t buy into the myth that you can’t improve. Associate with people who see beyond your diagnosis, to the person you really are.
    -Communicate with your doctor. Help your doctor ensure you’re getting the right type and dose of medication. Be honest and upfront about side effects, concerns, and other treatment issues.
    -Pursue self-help and therapy that helps you manage symptoms. Don’t rely on medication alone. Self-help strategies can help you to manage symptoms and regain a sense of control over your health and well-being. Supportive therapy can teach you how to challenge delusional beliefs, ignore voices in your head, protect against relapse, and motivate yourself to persevere with treatment and self-help.
    -Set and work toward life goals. Having schizophrenia doesn’t mean you can’t work, have relationships, or experience a fulfilling life. Set meaningful life goals for yourself beyond your illness.

Also, you can get active to manage symptoms of schizophrenia for example exercising. If you’re experiencing a psychotic episode, getting physically active is something you can do right now to improve your focus, relieve stress, give you more energy, help you sleep, and make you feel calmer. Find a physical activity you enjoy and aim for 30 minutes of movement on most days. If it’s easier, three 10-minute sessions can be just as effective. Rhythmic exercise that engages both your arms and legs, such as walking, running, swimming, or dancing, can be especially effective at calming your nervous system. Instead of focusing on your thoughts, try to focus on how your body feels as you move-how your feet hit the ground, for example, the rhythm of your breathing, or the feeling of the wind on your skin.

Connecting face-to-face with others is the most effective way to calm your nervous system and relieve stress. Since stress can trigger psychosis and make the symptoms of schizophrenia worse, keeping it under control is extremely important. Find someone you can connect with face to face on a regular basis—someone you can talk to for an uninterrupted period of time who will listen to you without judging, criticising, or continually becoming distracted.
    As well as helping to relieve stress, having the support of others can make a huge difference in the outlook for schizophrenia. When people who care about you are involved in your treatment, you’re more likely to achieve independence and avoid relapse.
    Find a supportive living environment. People with schizophrenia often function best when they’re able to remain at home, surrounded by supportive family members. If that’s not a viable option for you, many communities offer residential and treatment facilities. Look for a living environment that is stable, makes you feel safe, and will enable you to follow your treatment and self-help plans.
    Take advantage of support services in your area. Ask your doctor or therapist about services available in your area or contact hospitals and mental health clinics.

Managing stress is really important when you are going through schizophrenia. The day-to-day stress of living with a challenging emotional disorder such as schizophrenia can be draining. High levels of stress also increase the body’s production of the hormone cortisol, which may trigger psychotic episodes. As well as exercising and staying socially connected, there are plenty of steps you can take to reduce your stress levels:
    -Know your limits, both at home and at work or school. Don’t take on more than you can handle and take time for yourself if you feel overwhelmed.
    -Use relaxation techniques to relieve stress. Techniques such as mindfulness meditation, deep breathing, or progressive muscle relaxation can put the brakes on stress and bring your mind and body back into a state of balance.
    -Manage your emotions. Understanding and accepting emotions—especially those unpleasant ones most of us try to ignore—can make a huge difference in your ability to manage stress, balance your moods, and maintain control of your life.

Taking care of yourself is extremely important too. Making simple lifestyle changes can have a huge impact on the way you feel as well as your symptoms.
    Try to get plenty of sleep. When you’re on medication, you most likely need even more sleep than the standard 8 hours. Many people with schizophrenia have trouble with sleep, but getting regular exercise, reducing sugar in your diet, and avoiding caffeine can help.
    Eat a healthy, balanced diet. Eating regular, nutritious meals can help avoid psychosis and other schizophrenia symptoms brought on by substantial changes in blood sugar levels. Minimise sugar and refined carbs, foods that quickly lead to a crash in mood and energy. Boost your intake of omega-3 fatty acids from fatty fish, fish oil, walnuts, and flaxseeds to help improve focus, banish fatigue, and balance your moods.

If you’ve been diagnosed with schizophrenia, you will almost certainly be offered psychiatric medication. It’s important to understand that medication is just one component of schizophrenia treatment. Medication reduces psychotic symptoms such as hallucinations, delusions, paranoia, and disordered thinking.
    Schizophrenia medication can have very unpleasant side effects such as drowsiness, lack of energy, uncontrollable movements, weight gain, and sexual dysfunction. Your quality of life is important, so talk to your doctor if you’re bothered by side effects.

I really hope this helps!

I couldn't stop reading this, it's really inspiring. I hope you get rewarded for helping out people like this, you honestly deserve it ! <3
  • Options
  • Options
    @zaynab_5
    I totally get you xx <3
  • Options
    @GreenTea Heyo! How are you
  • Options
    Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,168 Part of The Furniture
    I’m excited my fan has been dispatched from amazon so will be here tomorrow 🥵
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,684 Legendary Poster
    Millie2787 wrote: »
    I’m excited my fan has been dispatched from amazon so will be here tomorrow 🥵

Yayyy @Millie2787 I got a new fan today and it’s the best thing ever!!!! Hopefully yours arrives on time tomorrow!!
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Posts: 0 Just got here
    I've got a crazy powerful fan, it sounds like a helicopter, but in this heat it's like it does absolutely nothing. It's about as effective as an old man breathing on me. Hope you guys are fairing better with yours aha
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    @Supernova about 6 years ago I asked my parents to borrow their old dusty fan because I was too hot.

They never got it back.

Until today...

It was the helicopter type you describe. It was ok, but made a creaking noise when it turned, blew out warm air and sometimes blew dust everywhere if you didn’t switch it on enough.

And still it took me 6 years to give them it back, because to me it made a difference, even if that difference was very small.

My new fan is actually slightly less powerful, but (so far) it has consistently blown out cold (freezing, in fact) dust free air.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    Sounds like you're in paradise then :D@independent_

And how very kind of you! Giving back the dirty, ancient dust machine. I'm sure they're ecstatic lol
  • Options
    @Supernova it’s very nice. For 20 quid out of Aldi it’s not bad at all :joy:

My dad was very happy to see it again lol, who knows why, it really is a skanky old thing
  • Options
    What you tryna say about Aldi?? Aldi is great :p I think I need some of those multi-million industrial fans. Like the ones they're gonna have to make for the Qatar World Cup that convert warm to cold through the power of science and dreams.

Well it's probably the same kind of happiness as when you see a childhood friend for the first time in a decade. :D

Anyway, how's you're day been all in all? Hope you're well. :)
  • Options
    @Supernova Aldi is indeed great! It was a bit of an unexpected find tbh I was looking for disposable BBQs to take to the beach tomorrow but instead I found a tower fan, and it was a bargain. It was a pain in the arse to build but I will never take it apart again so once that was done it was perfect.

Ah yes I relate to that happiness! Weirdly enough I saw one of my old primary school teachers in Morrisons today (still looking for disposable BBQs) she was my favourite teacher right through primary school so I was really happy to see her. It was funny because we both had bags in hand containing disposable BBQs (which I eventually found hiding under the doughnuts) and boxes of beer. We were talking about how things had changed lol.

Honestly my day’s not been that great and just struggling a lot atm but getting by. How are you doing?
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I'll be honest I miss some of my school teachers, I think I was lucky for the most part in that most of em were lovely and great teachers. If only I could go back in time for a while. :D

Seems like everyone wants a disposable bbq lol there'll be a black market for them if this heat keeps up much longer.

Sorry to hear you've been struggling :/ seems to have been that way the past couple of times I've asked. Anything in particular getting to you? Or just in a rough patch?

As for me I'm okay I guess. Find myself being anxious about things but I've been sufficiently distracted lately. :p it was a different story a few days ago though, I felt awful.
  • Options
    Morning
  • Options
    1pm needs to hurry up so my fan gets here
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • Options
    I ordered Starbucks drinks and have every window and door open in my house
  • Options
    DurhamjaideDurhamjaide Posts: 1,225 Wise Owl
    Good morning it’s really hot where I am as well today
  • Options
    RuhRuh Posts: 48 Boards Initiate
    It’s super hot in lancashire too! Iv just been out to the park for a walk and got back - T-shirt drowned in sweat! I know yuck! Lolll
  • Options
    Ruh wrote: »
    It’s super hot in lancashire too! Iv just been out to the park for a walk and got back - T-shirt drowned in sweat! I know yuck! Lolll

Be careful sharing locations :)
  • Options
    Morning everyone, hope you’re all doingok.

@Supernova most of my teachers were lovely too, a couple weren’t so much but most of them were great.

Just in a rough patch I think and not much is helping :( I’m glad you’re doing ok though!!

@Millie2787 roll on 1pm!!!!!

@Ruh welcome to the thread! It’s bloody roasting here too and I haven’t even been for a walk. I’m going to the beach later though.
  • Options
    I'm proper moody
  • Options
    It’s 28c and I’m sat in maccies car park 🤣
  • Options
    Millie2787 wrote: »
    It’s 28c and I’m sat in maccies car park 🤣

I'm sat at home. Want to go round the river but there's no way because it will be busy