Jordan from Switchboard will be here Wednesday and Thursday this week to answer your questions on anything to do with sexuality and relationships - leave your questions over on this thread
Head over to this thread to submit a song for our February 'Love' playlist that we'll be putting on Spotify!

Plus size model front cover of magazine. Right or wrong?

Comments

• ShaunieShaunie England 🏠Posts: 7,371 The Mix Elder
    edited September 2019
    Im not interested in this conversation anymore & i cant be bothered to explain my self anymore.or read this When no matter what ill say will find something bad in it

Thanks for opinion tho. 
    “If we could look into each other’s hearts and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care” Marvin J. Ashton
    Kathleen07
    edited September 2019
    & my dangeriusly overweight & dangerously underweight looking maybe different for your view & thats fine. Not shaming. 
    “If we could look into each other’s hearts and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care” Marvin J. Ashton
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Bpd bitch ✌🏼 Posts: 732 Incredible Poster
    Maybe when multiple people are offended by what you say, you should consider why that may be. Also fatphobia is a bit like racism, if a person of colour says you are being racist then you probably are 
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
    I do not have fatphobia thanks. What comment suggest that?
    edited September 2019
    Can @The Mix please hurry up and close this. Im quite upset of being excuse of fat shaming which id never do. I have my own insecruities so wouldnt ever fat shame. It clearly just being miss interpurted. Im clearly saying thatwhat i feel glamourising is. Dont agree thats fine doesnt mean im shaming tho. And ive literally said the same for very underweight people too 
    So i must have have fat phobia & thinphobia
    Well saying strain on the nhs for one...
    edited September 2019
    Its facts ive read on the news. There words that im clearly trasulating to here. Did i ever say "overweight people are disgusting" or near anything like that no everything ive said for overweight people ive said the same for underweight people.
    Butterfly23
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Carer/Craft Lover Posts: 2,483 Mega Poster
    edited September 2019
    Shauine I’ve said a few time ones are fat shaming buddy - as jelly said saying strain on NHS for one , and the one about saying all the curvy people on magazines look dangerously overweight but there’s no dangerously underweight people. 

Mmm you never said underweight people are a strain on the NHs ...
    “ I believe that you have the power to achieve whatever you put your mind too, You are living a life’s most people won’t  ever understand but that’s what will Be the root of all your determination and success. You have a soul full of love and kindness and I just know that despite all the hardship, a life’s of happiness awaits you and I’m very proud of you, just keep holding on” 
    Butterfly23GreenTea
    Then i must be shaming underweigjt people too then. So lets leave it at that if you think that. I dont want this convo anymore. Thanks
    Kathleen07
    edited September 2019
    Its my opinon on who looks dangerously underwieght. 

And its facts that being  overweight and it causing problems from eating too much can a chioce from life style not always a health issue, mental or physical. Its hardly every a chioce that soeone is malnutruaised so badly that it affects their health
  • AidanAidan Potato Posts: 1,467 Fanatical Poster
    edited September 2019
    When anyone comes to the politics and debate forum, they have to prepare for things that might upset them. They have to prepare to present facts as well, and be open for discussion and be in the right mindset to not make things personal when there's a disagreement, but be in the right mindset to learn other perspectives.

Think the thread's gone beyond the original subject matter now and people are upset.
    Shaunie
    edited September 2019
    Right is most fat peoples choose to be fat do they ? What about the models and people who decide they have to be super skinny , can’t just blame being fatva choice and being skinny not again edeging Fat phobia shauine just think you might need to word things abit more carefully 
    “ I believe that you have the power to achieve whatever you put your mind too, You are living a life’s most people won’t  ever understand but that’s what will Be the root of all your determination and success. You have a soul full of love and kindness and I just know that despite all the hardship, a life’s of happiness awaits you and I’m very proud of you, just keep holding on” 
  • GreenTeaGreenTea The best. The moonPosts: 1,548 Postholic
    Wait till I'm home from a&e and I'll post some statistics and facts. 
    Yes. I agree Aidan. Not agreeing with what someone says doesnt give right to tell them they have fat phobia or body shaming when ive said otherwise. You can say your opinion without labeling other people or saying things to them which are not true :)
    The thread should get back to whether people think a plus size model on a magazine cover is right or wrong, and why they think that.
    It's right because it encourages curvier woman to love their bodies and not be embarrassed or ashamed. Simple. 
    edited September 2019
    Okay have your opinion. Say it and be done.  Im done with saying mine. And none of it was fat phobia or body shaming. :)   Ill say everything ive said for underweight people apart from the facts & what ive read in the news. So logging off cause cba to read this anymore. Probs will say things which will twist my words or make me look bad and wont bother to change your view cause clearly set in mind that ive got fat phobia
    Well firstly I posted lots of relevant and facts etc about the whole issue. It isn’t really my fault that nobody can offer evidence that disproves what I say. Also some things said here are offensive - if I came and said thin people are a strain on the nhs I think people would be offended and rightly so. And that is just one example because I cba reading back the whole thread.... but if I did say something offensive would just apologise and learn from what said... rather than telling people they’re wrong for being offended and what I said was fine :) 
    GreenTeaMillie2787
    Thats because thin people arent a strain on the NHS. Strain is not a nessically a bad word. It just mean a high amount of something 
    Another example - saying most fat people are through choice.... whereas underweight people are rarely than way due to choice. Not only is it highly inaccurate and no evidence to back this up... but is offensive 
    So every overweight person has an illness?  No because what we eat is a life chioce.  Not nessically an illness
    Stain means "a severe or excessive demand on the strength, resources, or abilities of someone or something."
    its facts
    edited September 2019
    “So every overweight person has an illness?  No because what we eat is a life chioce.  Not nessically an illness“

okay then does every underweight person have a illness ? No no they don’t , it works both ways for so many things your saying shauine 
    I've got mixed opinions, but mostly positive. I think it's right because it's promoting self-confidence and a really positive attitude to the relationship between self esteem and body image.

I think though that if they're showing the face of a lifestyle that can't be safely maintained, the publisher has a responsibility to ensure the possible dangers don't escape the picture. 

Most people will know being overweight is unhealthy, and I don't think promoting it will make anyone CHOOSE to be overweight. But it could make already overweight people feel more comfortable in their skin (which if anything will help with their confidence to improve their health IF they want to) which is good.
    Shaunie
    PLEASE CLOSE THIS @The Mix

im done with trying to defend my self when i should just be saying my opinion 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
    Underweight people are a strain on the NHS also. Stop saying it's just overweight. It really fucking isn't
    Stop saying ive got fat phobia or body shaming. Ive said im not so please take my word for it and leave the thread if disargee but idc anymore. Leave me alone pleas
    Im talking about dangeroulsy and unhealthy overweight and underweight. 
    edited September 2019
    *deleted because I want to find actual statistics over news articles*
    Aidan
This discussion has been closed.