Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Plus size model front cover of magazine. Right or wrong?

Comments

• JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    Maybe when multiple people are offended by what you say, you should consider why that may be. Also fatphobia is a bit like racism, if a person of colour says you are being racist then you probably are 
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    I do not have fatphobia thanks. What comment suggest that?
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    edited September 2019
    Can @The Mix please hurry up and close this. Im quite upset of being excuse of fat shaming which id never do. I have my own insecruities so wouldnt ever fat shame. It clearly just being miss interpurted. Im clearly saying thatwhat i feel glamourising is. Dont agree thats fine doesnt mean im shaming tho. And ive literally said the same for very underweight people too 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    So i must have have fat phobia & thinphobia
    Well saying strain on the nhs for one...
    edited September 2019
    Its facts ive read on the news. There words that im clearly trasulating to here. Did i ever say "overweight people are disgusting" or near anything like that no everything ive said for overweight people ive said the same for underweight people.
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    edited September 2019
    Shauine I’ve said a few time ones are fat shaming buddy - as jelly said saying strain on NHS for one , and the one about saying all the curvy people on magazines look dangerously overweight but there’s no dangerously underweight people. 

Mmm you never said underweight people are a strain on the NHs ...
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
    Then i must be shaming underweigjt people too then. So lets leave it at that if you think that. I dont want this convo anymore. Thanks
    edited September 2019
    Its my opinon on who looks dangerously underwieght. 

And its facts that being  overweight and it causing problems from eating too much can a chioce from life style not always a health issue, mental or physical. Its hardly every a chioce that soeone is malnutruaised so badly that it affects their health
    edited September 2019
    Right is most fat peoples choose to be fat do they ? What about the models and people who decide they have to be super skinny , can’t just blame being fatva choice and being skinny not again edeging Fat phobia shauine just think you might need to word things abit more carefully 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Wait till I'm home from a&e and I'll post some statistics and facts. 
    Yes. I agree Aidan. Not agreeing with what someone says doesnt give right to tell them they have fat phobia or body shaming when ive said otherwise. You can say your opinion without labeling other people or saying things to them which are not true :)
    It's right because it encourages curvier woman to love their bodies and not be embarrassed or ashamed. Simple. 
    edited September 2019
    Okay have your opinion. Say it and be done.  Im done with saying mine. And none of it was fat phobia or body shaming. :)   Ill say everything ive said for underweight people apart from the facts & what ive read in the news. So logging off cause cba to read this anymore. Probs will say things which will twist my words or make me look bad and wont bother to change your view cause clearly set in mind that ive got fat phobia
    Well firstly I posted lots of relevant and facts etc about the whole issue. It isn’t really my fault that nobody can offer evidence that disproves what I say. Also some things said here are offensive - if I came and said thin people are a strain on the nhs I think people would be offended and rightly so. And that is just one example because I cba reading back the whole thread.... but if I did say something offensive would just apologise and learn from what said... rather than telling people they’re wrong for being offended and what I said was fine :) 
    Thats because thin people arent a strain on the NHS. Strain is not a nessically a bad word. It just mean a high amount of something 
    Another example - saying most fat people are through choice.... whereas underweight people are rarely than way due to choice. Not only is it highly inaccurate and no evidence to back this up... but is offensive 
    So every overweight person has an illness?  No because what we eat is a life chioce.  Not nessically an illness
    Stain means "a severe or excessive demand on the strength, resources, or abilities of someone or something."
    its facts
    edited September 2019
    “So every overweight person has an illness?  No because what we eat is a life chioce.  Not nessically an illness“

okay then does every underweight person have a illness ? No no they don’t , it works both ways for so many things your saying shauine 
    PLEASE CLOSE THIS @The Mix

im done with trying to defend my self when i should just be saying my opinion 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
    Underweight people are a strain on the NHS also. Stop saying it's just overweight. It really fucking isn't
    Stop saying ive got fat phobia or body shaming. Ive said im not so please take my word for it and leave the thread if disargee but idc anymore. Leave me alone pleas
    Im talking about dangeroulsy and unhealthy overweight and underweight. 
    edited September 2019
    *deleted because I want to find actual statistics over news articles*
    edited September 2019
    I think everyone should feel comfortable ive never said overwise. You said im body shaming ive said im not. Dont agree, thats fine, you can stop now.Cause im upset and want to be left alone. No energy left to read or write Thank you. 
    You can say your opinion without being offensive. 

Also thin people can be a strain on the nhs - osteoporosis, anaemia, heart problems, anorexia etc. 

To say obesity is simply a lifestyle choice is quite short sighted. Poverty, social class, mental health, disability, physical health and many issues come to play. Of course not every person will have an illness that directly causes them to be over (or under) weight... but more often than not there is a reason for the way people weigh. Don’t think anyone would choose to be overweight if they could help it because of all the shaming that they get from everyone... even for basic things like simply showing clothes in a magazine
    Shaunie said:
    I think everyone should feel comfortable ive never said overwise. You said im body shaming ive said im not. Dont agree, thats fine, you can stop now.Cause im upset and want to be left alone. & no energy to read or write
     Thank you. 

Also you can’t state you aren’t being fat phobic then say something that is. That’s like me saying I’m not racist but I wish black people wouldn’t be in the media 
    Shaunie said:
    Shaunie said:
    I think everyone should feel comfortable ive never said overwise. You said im body shaming ive said im not. Dont agree, thats fine, you can stop now.Cause im upset and want to be left alone. & no energy to read or write
     Thank you. 

This discussion has been closed.