Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is dance music dead

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    bongbudda wrote:
    Ahhh, but then you get those strange few who dance like nutters longer than the druggies just because they love the music.

:yes: :D

That would be us lot :D
  • Options
    house music is the past present and future.

learn it
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    tommo24 wrote:

learn it

It's far too slow.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    tommo24 wrote:

learn it

Only for lightweights.
  • Options
    tommo24 wrote:
    Nothing wrong with house, in my mind. If someone starts a mix with house tunes, that's fine, but move onto the trance later.
  • Options
    Trance is DEAD.

and thank god for that
  • Options
    Oh and if its too slow, then you're doing something wrong or listening to pop
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I know a few people who go partying and don't take drugs. So what?
    I wasn't making a deal about it, just wondered what his/peolle's opinions were :D
  • Options
    tommo24 wrote:
    Trance is DEAD.

and thank god for that

Trance is live and kicking and will will be for a very long time.
  • Options
    anythings alive if you love it
  • Options

ah last words of a necrophiliac. :D
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Nothing wrong with house, in my mind. If someone starts a mix with house tunes, that's fine, but move onto the trance later.

I hate trance. It's been a creative dead end for about 10 years now. (IMO natch, before Vicky throws another hissy fit)
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    ah last words of a necrophiliac. :D

Fantastic, very good.
  • Options
    my pet goldfish when i was a kid??
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I hate trance. It's been a creative dead end for about 10 years now. (IMO natch, before Vicky throws another hissy fit)
    pmsl!
    haha hissy fit...someone doesnt get when they are just being humoured :D Oh blagsta you do make me smirk!

N I hate trance too, your average fluffy floral trance that is. Hard/German trance :thumb:
  • Options
    Nicely deflected there. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Dance music has kinda peeked in my opinion. There are now two types commercial drivel and that produced by DJ's and record labels who are right up their own arses.

Time to step back and go old school, for the younger of you out there dig up some old stuff from the very late 80's to the mid 90's there is gold to be found if you aint heard it before. Im currently enjoying Shades of Rhythm, Bizzare inc, Prodigy etc as well as old school DJ sets from the likes of The Rat Pack, Jumpin Jack Frost, Grooverider etc...
  • Options
    TheCure wrote:
    Dance music has kinda peeked in my opinion. There are now two types commercial drivel and that produced by DJ's and record labels who are right up their own arses.

Time to step back and go old school, for the younger of you out there dig up some old stuff from the very late 80's to the mid 90's there is gold to be found if you aint heard it before. Im currently enjoying Shades of Rhythm, Bizzare inc, Prodigy etc as well as old school DJ sets from the likes of The Rat Pack, Jumpin Jack Frost, Grooverider etc...
    Mates went to a Rat Pack night Friday night, they loved it. I missed out though, couldnt make it. Deffo next time thoguh!
  • Options
    TheCure wrote:
    Im currently enjoying Shades of Rhythm, Bizzare inc, Prodigy etc as well as old school DJ sets from the likes of The Rat Pack, Jumpin Jack Frost, Grooverider etc...
    Look, there's nothing wrong with the past. I think we should indeed celebrate the earlier dance tracks. But we shouldn't be held hostage to it. The scene now is not the same one as when it was starting out in the late 1980s.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    But we shouldn't be held hostage to it. The scene now is not the same one as when it was starting out in the late 1980s.

dance has been around before the late 80's
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    dance has been around before the late 80's
    Well yes, I'm just referring to when the Strings Of Rhythm records and the like were first seen. Dance music is of course a mixture of other music. House, for instance, was preceded by disco, there's no hiding from it.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Well yes, I'm just referring to when the Strings Of Rhythm records and the like were first seen. Dance music is of course a mixture of other music. House, for instance, was preceded by disco, there's no hiding from it.

i don't think any music has a definitive root...maybe the first sounds or whatever but all styles have an influence...that influence is developed and messed about with to create a new unique one...thats why i think there'll always be music and it'll never become too mundane though it's been gettin shitty this past while...all genres included.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    ...all styles have an influence... that influence is developed and messed about with to create a new unique one... thats why i think there'll always be music and it'll never become too mundane though it's been gettin shitty this past while...all genres included.
    I'll agree with that. I think dance music is in unchartered territory nowadays, all much more commercial. There'll always be good music out there. Sadly, there's always be crap music too.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I'll agree with that. I think dance music is in unchartered territory nowadays, all much more commercial. There'll always be good music out there. Sadly, there's always be crap music too.

yes but sadly there's more crap than good...it saddens me when people mention dance they conjour up images of cheesy tunes with some girls voice over the top...i supose some of it is listenable but there's so much more variety in dance that people are oblivious to and is forcing so many sub-genres into the underground...but is that really a bad thing
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    turlough wrote:
    conjour up images of cheesy tunes with some girls voice over the top...

"Come give me your hardcore feelings with your raving meanings...." :lol:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Trance is better than HardStyle by far. HardStyle is not musical what so ever, it has no decent rythem and it will never change but being at 170BPM or what ever it is, with a few wanky tech synths in it.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    "Come give me your hardcore feelings with your raving meanings...." :lol:

lol i actually like that tune...charlie lownoise and mental theo...yea???
  • Options
    Trance is better than HardStyle by far. HardStyle is not musical what so ever, it has no decent rythem and it will never change but being at 170BPM or what ever it is, with a few wanky tech synths in it.
    If only you had my ears! You don't know what you're missing out on! :D
  • Options
    I was checking out a mix and sounded pretty, well, naff, point me in the direction of the good stuff?
  • Options
    Dance music is not dead, but it's dying. I have no interest in any commercial rubbish like Call On Me but there are talented DJ's out there, and there is allways Underworld to fall back on.