Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Self harm awareness day: Experts online from 9-10pm to answer your questions

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    dear alad or the sergery,
    i am 13, a girl and i selfharm. my mum and my friends think i'm trying to atteract attention but i always cover up my scars and wounds. i would tell my dad but he is portugese and would not understand. i have been on many websites and chat lines, even to my counceler! But they all say that its a phase.....i know its not and i know i need help!! please help me alad as i feel as no one will listen and the only time they did for about an hour was when i tried to hang myself aged 11 x

Hey cakeisamazeballs - welcome to TheSite and well done for reaching out tonight (love your username btw ;) )

It's a common myth that self harm is just a 'phase' or that it's 'attention seeking'. I'm sorry that you're not feeling heard by your mum, your friends and the other people that are there to support you. On the positive side it's great that you've been able to talk about your self harm and get some help, that's really brave.

You might find it useful to show your mum or your friends this article on TheSite about myths around self harm: http://www.thesite.org/mental-health/self-harm/self-harm-myths-5695.html

Our experts will reply soon :)
  • Options
    it helped a bit, but i still do it and i feel like i cant cope, if i don't do it. I'm 17 and started when I was 16.
  • Options
    I'm 21 and I used to self harm it got so bad for me that I ended up being sectioned by it. when I first told people they thought I was just attention seeking but after 4 years of being in hospital and intensive therapy I have stopped. but I myself as a person do believe that mental health needs to be in the national education curriculum as we teach children about physical education sexual education so why not about mental health.

I used to self harm because I was being bullied and it got to me so much. I still have feelings of self harming every day but I can finally over haul these by keeping my mind busy and having a locked cupboard. in this cupboard I keep all my self harm implements in the box and my family and friends are very supportive and I now support people who are going through the same situations
  • Options
    Ar16 wrote: »
    Hello, I am bipolar and it's tuning my life, I push the people I love away and I can't tell my friends because I don't want them to judge me. My parents think my self harm is pathetic but I can't help it it's addictive and I feel like I have to do it because it's like there's someone In my head telling me I'm a bad person.

Also I have some very deep cuts and I think I need stitches what should I do and in the summer I don't know how to hide my deep scars please help :(

Hi Ar16, It sounds like you find it hard to talk to people about how you're feeling and I understand that's not always something easy to do. It also seems like it really upsets you that your parents maybe don't understand your self-harming. Self-harming can be addictive and it can be hard to find ways to stop and find different ways to cope. Different people can find different things help them to break that cycle, like writing down or drawing how they feel, listening to music, spending time with friends. Talking to someone about how you're feeling can be really important to help you find ways to change some of these really difficult thoughts that you're having.

It sounds like you maybe feel really down on yourself at times, that could be maybe something that would be worth talking to someone about what's making you feel so down on you. You can always talk to a ChildLine Counsellor confidentially on 0800 1111(all calls are free and don't show up on the bill) or use the 1-2-1 instant messenger on the ChildLine website. Maybe too you could have a think about things that you do like about you or maybe that you're good at, or nice ways your friends might describe you, to perhaps make you feel better at these times.
  • Options
    *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    e1998 wrote: »
    Thank you Shaun :)

She has gone through counselling, and stopped for a while, but recently confessed she's done it again. She's trying other methods, but I'm worried about whether she's still harming herself. I find it difficult bringing it up as I don't want to make either of us feel uncomfortable.

I guess just trusting the fact that she is going to get support for this, and letting her know that you are there for her.
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Options
    dose anyone actualy know any good coping methods? i have BPD too and this makes stopping self harm difficult
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    A few of you have talked about the difficulty of sharing with close family and friends who just really don't understand where you're coming from. That's really hard and it's understandable that you're struggling with it.

Just wanted to share our self-harm myths article with you that you might find helpful to share with your loved-ones to explain what's going on: http://www.thesite.org/mental-health/self-harm/self-harm-myths-5695.html
  • Options
    BethanyRea wrote: »
    Hi! I've been a self harmer for 7 years now and it's destroyed my life so last week I decided that I was going to stop. I've managed 7 days of not self harming and I'm really proud of that but I know it's going to get very hard from now on. Can you give some advice for a self harmer in the very early stages of recovery? Thanks so much.

Hey BethanyRea,

7 DAYS IS BRILLIANT!!!

It sounds as if you've taken the biggest step, which is to make a decision to stop. Stopping without any kind of support from professionals or a strong support network can be really tough so the most important bit of advice I can give you is to seek help from others. Maybe you could have a chat with your local GP, teacher or family member. Having said that, there are some amazing online services that can give you regular support such as the site and selfharm.co.uk.

Well done on taking the decision to make a change. I hope this has helped. Keep going :-)
  • Options
    I started self harm last summer because of different problems - i had difficult relations with friends, i had problems with university, my parents were going to divorce... And there was no one whom i could talk to. So i chose cutting. Because it helped. Like a lot. It helped to feel free. It helped because it was something that i COULD control while everything was falling apart.
    I've been clean now for several weeks. But every time when something bad happens I feel that I am close to relapse. What should I do to stay? What should I do when I feel like I am going to relapse? No one knows about it so I can't just talk to my parents or friends.
  • Options
    blackstar wrote: »
    dose anyone actualy know any good coping methods? i have BPD too and this makes stopping self harm difficult

It depends on the person, everybody is individual. I guess following your interests is a good start, there is a range of distractions out there for people who self harm. Things like drawing, writing, going to the gym, baking, cooking, swimming, flicking an elastic band on your wrist, and also having a cold shower. Those are just a few but like I say it depends on the individual, something that has helped me in the past is just sticking my ipod on and just going on a walk, gives me time to clear my head.

There is a cool article on thesite about distractions here http://www.thesite.org/mental-health/self-harm/self-harmcoping-tips-and-distractions-5696.html
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    chloe234 wrote: »
    i self harm because i feel like my family dont like me we argue everyday and dont feel its normal my brothers hit me hard and i dont know what to do about it i have only told one person about this and i need some advice on how to stop self harming the last time i done it was last week. im 14 and i sarted last year.

Hey there Chloe :) -

It sounds like you have an awful lot on your plate at home at the moment, and I can only imagine how stressful it must be for you! It can often be difficult to pass across a message, when your parents are arguing, however, your brother really shouldn't be hitting you, if he older than you? :) - You also mentioned telling one person about this, did they take action upon it? What did they suggest? Sorry for all the questions!

Going a week without self harming however, is amazing, I've very proud of you, and it's great to see you looking in to ways of dealing with it now, rather than in the moment, have you looked into TheSite.org coping tips and distractions article? Which offers a vast majority of things you can do to calm yourself down etc. Or even calling a friend of a helpline to talk it over can also be helpful, for example ChildLine, or Samaritans! Have you thought about approaching a school nurse or mentor about your self harm, so you have more regular support in place? :)

Best wishes,
    WhispersOfTheHeart
  • Options
    Lmw94 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm in first year of uni at the moment and have self harmed for a few years now. I've not really told many people anyone about it before but have made an appointment to go see a uni counsellor on Wednesday for the first time. I'm really scared about going but think I need some help. Really don't know how to bring up the issue and tell them about everything. Right now strongly considering cancelling the appointment but I know I shouldn't. Help please!

Well done on booking that appointment, it's a really brave move and it's a really important step in your journey. Have you tried writing your feelings down? There's an online tool called Doc Ready that has been created to help people talk about mental health issues with a doctor, but could just as easily be used with a counsellor - http://www.docready.org/static/client/index.html#/home

TheSite also has a counselling FAQ that you might find helpful: http://www.thesite.org/mental-health/mental-health-treatments/counselling-faq-5839.html

Wish you the best of luck - as I said, this is a really important step and you should be proud for taking it.
  • Options
    For all self-harmers, depressed, suicidal, anything, there's this website that really helped me when I was self-harming not too long ago, it's called The Dawn Room and it's a really amazing place just to go to, to shut yourself away from the world and just relax. Honestly, I really recommend trying it: http://thequietplaceproject.com/thedawnroom/?page=thedawnroom&lang=

Also, if you need some advice or someone to talk to, I'm no expert, but I suffer from depression and I've recently stopped self harming; clean since the 31st of December. I'm here if you need me :)

Stay strong beautiful people <3
  • Options

DBT is a therapy specifically designed for borderline patients, and it can be offered through the NHS, by your doctor, which will involve you in group work, and 1-2-1. Exploring coping techniques when things feel a bit neurotic. Mindfulness offers a variety of things, bringing yourself back to the current moment, etc. Have you ever tried any Mindfulness? There's also an amazing DBT app called DBT911 you can get on Android, etc...That has a variety of coping tools you can use in the moment, and will always have with you!
  • Options
    help

My best friend recently drunkenly confessed to a mutual friend that she self harms. She swore the mutual friend to secrecy but the mutual friend told me about it anyway because she knows that I would want to help her and that I should know. When the mutual friend asked why my best friend hadn't told me yet it was because she thought I'd be angry with her. I don't know why she would think I would be angry but how can I make her want to tell me because I'm not supposed to know and I don't want to get our mutual friend in trouble as she wasn't supposed to tell me about it. How can I approach the situation in a way that will make her want to talk to me about it? I just want to help her and I don't know what to do because I don't want her to go through this alone.
  • Options
    dear alad or the sergery,
    i am 13, a girl and i selfharm. my mum and my friends think i'm trying to atteract attention but i always cover up my scars and wounds. i would tell my dad but he is portugese and would not understand. i have been on many websites and chat lines, even to my counceler! But they all say that its a phase.....i know its not and i know i need help!! please help me alad as i feel as no one will listen and the only time they did for about an hour was when i tried to hang myself aged 11 x

Hi cakeisamazeballs, It sounds like you're finding things really difficult at the moment and also that it's hard to talk to someone about how you're feeling. I can hear that maybe you're feeling upset that your mum and friends don't seem to understand how you're feeling and what you're doing putting it down to either trying to attract attention or a phase. I understand that you're not doing this for these reasons, sometimes people who care about you may find it hard to understand these urges to self-harm, but you've done really well to try talking to them.

It also sounds like you're tried reaching out to other places through websites and cha- lines to get help, but haven't got the support you were hoping for. Maybe you could try talking to a counsellor at ChildLine on 0800 1111 (all calls are free and don't show up on the bill) or use the 1-2-1 instant messenger on the ChildLine website - www.childline.org.uk. You can talk about what you're doing and what's making you feel like this at the moment. There is always someone there for you to talk, especially if there are times when you're worried about being able to keep stay safe.
  • Options
    thanks x
  • Options
    i need some advice

i self harm most night i get lonly i have no one to turn too all my friends live so far away from me i need to get away from my family they are the cause of me self harming anyone got any advice?
  • Options
    Ljj765056 wrote: »
    Hi, my names Laura and I'm 19.

I have struggled with subconsciously self harming since I was 10.

I'd find myself doing this at school after being bullied and eventually I was found bleeding by teachers when I was 13 and my parents were clued in.

I was put on Prozac at 13 and now am on sertraline after trying to take my life two years ago.

A little back ground information. I was diagnosed with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome at 9 with my brother and my mum after my mum suffered a brain haemorrhage (to then be followed by several strokes and heart attacks)

My bullying was mainly due to my illnesses and post traumatic stress from seeing my mum going through these things.

Back to my question:

My dad and teachers try to understand that my self harm isn't able to be calmed by medication or therapy as it's subconscious but they don't understand why I'm not aware of my actions as I'm doing them. How could I explain this to them? That I'm not trying to get attention and that I don't fully know why I'm doing what I'm doing?

It's been an issue for 9 years and I can't get my head around it myself so why should I expect them to understand.

If you could give me some advice I'd be incredibly grateful.

Thanks for reaching out.

I think the first thing to do is to try and figure out why you turn to self-harm. Unfortunately, it's not that easy. There's no quick way of understanding why one feels the need to self-harm. I'd highly recommend having a chat to some professionals who would be able to help you work through it.

When it comes to other people, it can be really difficult to help them totally understand why you feel you need to harm, especially if they are really close to you. Maybe you can create a log. I'd highly recommend keeping a little book that you can use to help you communicate with your family members. If this doesn't work for you, maybe you can get creative and come up with some other techniques of communicating with the loved ones around you.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    My name is becky and I'm 14. I have been self harming for just over a year, my mum thinks that I stopped ages ago but I continued just in less obvious places. A few of my closest friends know and they seem to support me but I don't think they actually know how bad the problem is. I hate myself a lot and I don't see anything good in myself and by self harming I feel that all the awful things going on inside are muted just for a short time whilst I self harm. I think that this is why I find it so addictive. I feel like maybe I should get some help but I don't think I can stop, I've tried before and just went back to it. I'm very insecure and I feel that I couldn't really tell anyone. I know that I'm fat and now every time I eat I self harm on my stomach which is something I don't think I can stop. Is there any advice you can give me? Thank you.

Hey there and well done for reaching out tonight :heart:

It's really brave to tell people about your self harm but sometimes it can feel like you have to try and stop for other people and then that can lead to putting quite a lot of pressure on yourself. It sounds like you're really worried about letting people know just how hard things really are and that you're feeling really down about yourself. It sounds like harming is a relief for some of your negative emotions?

Our article on confiding in someone might prepare you to reach out again: http://www.thesite.org/mental-health/self-harm/telling-someone-you-self-harm-5682.html

You're not alone and there is support out there - remember you can always call Childline to talk to someone in confidence about what's going on too: https://www.childline.org.uk/Pages/Home.aspx

*hug*
  • Options

Hi blackstar, thanks for posting, this is a really good question. The coping method that works for you will probably link to the emotion you're feeling when you want to self harm - do you feel able to recognise what your emotions are - for example do you feel high levels of anxiety, or perhaps anger or loneliness? TheSite has a factsheet with coping tips and distractions that were compiled from help with young people that you might find helpful - but feel free to start a new thread on TheSite and the community will be happy to share ideas :)

http://www.thesite.org/mental-health/self-harm/self-harmcoping-tips-and-distractions-5696.html
  • Options
    rseddon wrote: »

I used to self harm because I was being bullied and it got to me so much. I still have feelings of self harming every day but I can finally over haul these by keeping my mind busy and having a locked cupboard. in this cupboard I keep all my self harm implements in the box and my family and friends are very supportive and I now support people who are going through the same situations

This is really lovely to hear - thanks so much for sharing :)
  • Options
    I'm guessing no-one has a clue what to say to me then. Forget I posted anything
  • Options
    I'm guessing no-one has a clue what to say to me then. Forget I posted anything

Hey, really sorry to have kept you waiting - we've been flat out here tonight! Lindsey is just typing a reply to you now - thanks for hanging in there with us.
  • Options
    My best friend recently drunkenly confessed to a mutual friend that she self harms. She swore the mutual friend to secrecy but the mutual friend told me about it anyway because she knows that I would want to help her and that I should know. When the mutual friend asked why my best friend hadn't told me yet it was because she thought I'd be angry with her. I don't know why she would think I would be angry but how can I make her want to tell me because I'm not supposed to know and I don't want to get our mutual friend in trouble as she wasn't supposed to tell me about it. How can I approach the situation in a way that will make her want to talk to me about it? I just want to help her and I don't know what to do because I don't want her to go through this alone.

Thanks for writing Elliedaveyy,

This situation sounds really complex and unfortunately there's no quick answer.

The best bit of advice I can give you is to let your friend come to you when she's ready. Why not just let her know that you're there to help. Rather than sitting your friend down and demanding her to tell you everything (not that you're doing this), why not just remind her that you want to help and when she's ready, you'll be there for her. I can't stress enough how important it is to let your friend come to you on her terms rather than yours. If you'd like more help about how you can support your friend, why not get in touch with Childline, the site or selfharm.co.uk.

Hope this helps :-)
  • Options
    Thank you so much, I'll give it a go!
  • Options
    Hi,
    I've been self harming for a few months now and it feels like an addiction. I want to stop but I just can't and I don't want to tell anyone about it because I have been bullied for years and it has only (mostly) stopped now that I am in full-time work. It started when I had a miscarriage from a one night stand. I don't know where to turn and I'm afraid to see a Doctor for fear of them judging me and trying to pop me full of pills to "cure" me...

Hi FinalFantasyAerith, It sounds like there's been a lot going on for you and you're struggling to break this urge to self-harm. I understand that it can feel like an addiction and not something that you can just stop and no longer have these urges. It sounds like the impact of the bullying and the miscarriage that you've suffered are really affecting you at the moment and it might be an idea to consider talking to someone about how you're feeling. I can hear that you're worried about talking to your doctor, they shouldn't judge if you did decide to share with them how you're feeling and you certainly have the right to say no to any medication, they might be able to put you in touch with local counselling services if you did feel that you'd like to talk to someone and did feel able to approach your GP.

Some other organisations that may be able to offer you some support with how you're feeling could be www.cruse.org.uk,who work to support people with loss and bereavement. I'm not sure how old you are but if you're under 19, you can also speak to ChildLine on 0800 1111 or through the 1-2-1 chat instant messenger on their website www.childline.org.uk and if you're an adult, Samaritans on 08457 90 90 90.

You can also get tips on alternative ways to cope on the ChildLine website or at www.selfharm.co.uk.
  • Options
    Just wondering, are we aloud to offer support to each otherrr? Silly question moment? :P

Absolutely and thanks for all your awesome support! Shaun is just typing you a reply now. :)
  • Options
    Just wanted to say that no matter how bad things get there is light at the end of the tunnel, I know that sounds really cheesy, but I have gone through a really bad stage recently and I didn't think I would get through it, but I have done. With the support from some great people, stares at Helen and Jo... So thank you :)

Also to people who self harm, recovery is possible, yeah there may be some relapses along the way but don't give up.
  • Options
    Hi,
    I've been self harming for a few months now and it feels like an addiction. I want to stop but I just can't and I don't want to tell anyone about it because I have been bullied for years and it has only (mostly) stopped now that I am in full-time work. It started when I had a miscarriage from a one night stand. I don't know where to turn and I'm afraid to see a Doctor for fear of them judging me and trying to pop me full of pills to "cure" me...

Hey there FinalFantasyAerith,

It sounds like you've been through a lot over the past few years, but you've taken a step by reaching out to online support, which is amazing, if not anything else! - Often when we start self harming, it can feel like an addiction, as it's how we've learnt to cope, and we know it will help us in the moment, however, in the long run. Have you looking in to alternative coping tips and distractions to allow yourself to get through the moment? I know baking helps me at times!

Often stopping is something you really have to do at your own pace, and you don't always have to stop by reaching out for offline support, their are amazing resources online to.. However, your GP wouldn't judge you, and nor would he give you pills straight hand, you'll probably be offered a form of therapy like CBT, which can allow you to explore what started the behaviour, etc. Which is a rather successful therapy for many.

Or maybe considering online counselling? :) If you're under 19, you can try ChildLine on 0800 1111, they also have an online service, which is pretty epic ;) - Or even Mindfull.org, which will take members 11-17 :) - And offer again, online counselling, on a more regular basis, allowing you to create a bond of trust, and they can also help you sort out offline counselling if it's something you wanted!

Best wishes,
    WhispersOfTheHeart
This discussion has been closed.