Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Self harm awareness day: Experts online from 9-10pm to answer your questions

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:wave: If this is your first time on TheSite, then welcome! :)

Saturday 1st March is Self Harm Awareness Day and YouthNet (the charity behind TheSite) has been sharing blogs in the build up all week from young people and experts talking about their experiences related to self harm.

At 9pm on SUNDAY 2nd March Radio One's Sunday Surgery will be talking about self-harm. To tie in with the show two experts will be on hand here on TheSite message boards to respond with advice and information for those looking for help in relation to coping tips and distractions techniques.

We also really encourage you all to chip into the discussion with your own thoughts, ideas and support and get involved. Myself and **helen** will be around too helping out :)

Our experts are:

Shaun from selfharm.co.uk
image.php?u=83003&dateline=1393596387&type=profile
After working on a variety of youth and web based projects, Shaun joined selfharm.co.uk where he?s able to merge his love for working with young people and the web. Over the short time Shaun has been at selfharm.co.uk, He?s been able to develop an online support group called Alumina. Alumina is a great way of giving young people the opportunity to gain an understanding of how they found themselves self-harming; the possible causes, and most of all exploring more positive ways they can deal with their emotions and challenging situations. Shaun also lives in Luton, where he lives with his wife.

And

Lindsey from Childline
12835598244_0c9c0e5dd5_q.jpg
Lindsey is 30 years old and she's been a Childline counsellor for 4 and half years. Her role involves helping young people with a range of issues including self harm. She does this on the phone, online on instant messenger chats and through email.

Things you need to know:
  • Posts looking for help with issues other than coping tips and distractions will be moved into the main health & wellbeing forum. You will still be able to get support from the community and other mods there, your question just probably won't be answered by the experts.
  • If you are a regular and want to ask a question privately, then feel free to private message me and I can post it on your behalf.
  • The usual forum rules apply, but you may also find it helpful to watch our video on posting about self-harm specifically.

We'll open up this thread ready for the show on Sunday afternoon and the conversation and responses will all take place here.

Look forward to your questions and replies and don't forget to tune in to the show too :)

Comments

• Options
    This is happening tonight! Lindsey and Shaun will be online from 9pm to answer your questions :)
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hello! I'm at the studio with Lindsey and Shaun, we'll be online shortly :)
  • Options
    The show has started on R1 - Rachel from selfharm.co.uk has just been introduced and our guys here are ready for your questions :)
  • Options
    Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    I'm currently trying to help someone much younger than me who's turned to me for help with self harm and I don't know how to help. I could never report it to someone else because I've been through that and its horrible, and she's not up for talking to adults. What can I do?
  • Options
    can anyone actually tell you how to permenantly stop harming?
  • Options
    My best friend self-harms, and it upsets me because she's upset. I feel kind of selfish for feeling upset when it's not her fault, and I have no idea how to help her. What can I do to help her get through it?
  • Options
    I've been self harming for about 1 year, and I wish to stop and get help. Who would you recommend I go to first in order to get said help? -becky
  • Options
    where do we get the answeres to our questions?
  • Options
    Help

I'm 15 and trying to get better but now I am not self harming if get thoughts which are worst how can I cope with it without telling anyone
  • Options
    Hi, I have a friend who is self harming, she tells me that its ok and that she doesnt want me to get close (friendship wise) with her becuase she doesnt want this to hurt me. Please help
  • Options
    Bailey98 wrote: »

on this thread :)
  • Options
    Hi, I have self harmed for about two years now and it has been on and off I guess but lately I am struggling with not doing it because I have this friend. She has an eating disorder and it is affecting my friends and I really badly as we have no idea what to do to help her. She is purging in the school toilets every single day and she won't accept help so we are really struggling. I have been trying so hard to not self harm whilst enduring this but I'm getting closer and closer to breaking and I don't know what to do anymore. I kinds just feel sad all the time and I can't be happy. The whole thing has caused me to be having panic attacks almost every single day and I'm not coping.
  • Options
    Annaarrr!! wrote: »
    I'm currently trying to help someone much younger than me who's turned to me for help with self harm and I don't know how to help. I could never report it to someone else because I've been through that and its horrible, and she's not up for talking to adults. What can I do?

Hey Annaarrr, thanks for posting, Shaun is just typing his reply to you now :)
  • Options
    *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture

Could you maybe give her some links to like online things, like childline, and also thesite. That way it's less daunting and you could also be there with her if she needed that while she is looking for support online? I guess having her confide in an adult is practical but I can understand how difficult it is for her.
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Options

Hey Bailey - welcome to TheSite.org :)

Lindsey is just working on her response to your question now - you might find our section here on TheSite about selfharm a useful source of info to take a look at as well: http://www.thesite.org/mental-health/self-harm
  • Options
    maybe cerrys friends show them off as a cry for help
  • Options
    e1998 wrote: »
    My best friend self-harms, and it upsets me because she's upset. I feel kind of selfish for feeling upset when it's not her fault, and I have no idea how to help her. What can I do to help her get through it?

Hey e1998, thanks for posting. One of our experts will reply in a bit, just just wanted to let you know you have every right to feel upset and it's great your reaching out to us here.
  • Options
    Hello, I am bipolar and it's tuning my life, I push the people I love away and I can't tell my friends because I don't want them to judge me. My parents think my self harm is pathetic but I can't help it it's addictive and I feel like I have to do it because it's like there's someone In my head telling me I'm a bad person.

Also I have some very deep cuts and I think I need stitches what should I do and in the summer I don't know how to hide my deep scars please help :(
  • Options

Just keep refreshing the thread and your answer will be on its way soon!
  • Options
    Hi! I've been a self harmer for 7 years now and it's destroyed my life so last week I decided that I was going to stop. I've managed 7 days of not self harming and I'm really proud of that but I know it's going to get very hard from now on. Can you give some advice for a self harmer in the very early stages of recovery? Thanks so much.
  • Options
    I've been self harming for about 1 year, and I wish to stop and get help. Who would you recommend I go to first in order to get said help? -becky

Hi Becky, thanks for posting, have you spoken to anyone about this before now?
  • Options
    My question

Hi, my names Laura and I'm 19.

I have struggled with subconsciously self harming since I was 10.

I'd find myself doing this at school after being bullied and eventually I was found bleeding by teachers when I was 13 and my parents were clued in.

I was put on Prozac at 13 and now am on sertraline after trying to take my life two years ago.

A little back ground information. I was diagnosed with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome at 9 with my brother and my mum after my mum suffered a brain haemorrhage (to then be followed by several strokes and heart attacks)

My bullying was mainly due to my illnesses and post traumatic stress from seeing my mum going through these things.

Back to my question:

My dad and teachers try to understand that my self harm isn't able to be calmed by medication or therapy as it's subconscious but they don't understand why I'm not aware of my actions as I'm doing them. How could I explain this to them? That I'm not trying to get attention and that I don't fully know why I'm doing what I'm doing?

It's been an issue for 9 years and I can't get my head around it myself so why should I expect them to understand.

If you could give me some advice I'd be incredibly grateful.
  • Options
    *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture

Stopping harming permanently isn't a over night thing and it takes a lot of work.. It depends on the person, but having lots of support in place is a start, and also having lots of distractions to help you when you feel the urges to harm yourself. Defiantly having support and talking about things helps. Finding something to replace your harming I guess.
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Options
    Hi,
    I've been self harming for a few months now and it feels like an addiction. I want to stop but I just can't and I don't want to tell anyone about it because I have been bullied for years and it has only (mostly) stopped now that I am in full-time work. It started when I had a miscarriage from a one night stand. I don't know where to turn and I'm afraid to see a Doctor for fear of them judging me and trying to pop me full of pills to "cure" me...
  • Options

Hey Annaarrr,

Thanks for writing. Helping someone who's struggling with self-harm can be really difficult.

The best bit of advice I can give to you is to simply listen to them. Ask them how you can support them and i'd also suggest that you take care of yourself. It's ok to say that you don't know how to help. It might be that talking to an adult might be the best solution but maybe you can highlight some great places to go that will help your friend where they can speak to some great adults that can really help.

Hope that helps Annaarrr.
  • Options
    Hi, I'm in first year of uni at the moment and have self harmed for a few years now. I've not really told many people anyone about it before but have made an appointment to go see a uni counsellor on Wednesday for the first time. I'm really scared about going but think I need some help. Really don't know how to bring up the issue and tell them about everything. Right now strongly considering cancelling the appointment but I know I shouldn't. Help please!
  • Options

Hi Bailey98, Thank you for your post. It can be difficult to tell someone one specific way on how to stop self-harming, different people can find different things help them to cope without self-harming. Some find doing exercise can help, others writing down or drawing how they feel, or distraction techniques like listening to music, playing an instrument, playing computer games useful. But what might be really important is talking to someone about what is going on and how you're feeling to help get some support with what's making you feel like this in the first place. Changing or find ways to cope with that, can maybe help to make a more permanent difference.
  • Options
    thanks
  • Options
    Cocopops wrote: »
    I'm 15 and trying to get better but now I am not self harming if get thoughts which are worst how can I cope with it without telling anyone

Hi Cocopops, it can be really daunting to tell someone, so reaching out here is really brave, have you ever tried chatting to someone online 1-2-1 via childline?
  • Options
    Thank you Shaun :)
This discussion has been closed.