Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Unimportant

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I don't really know where to start. I actually feel scared at the thought of posting this. I don't know how I always end up feeling like this. Not when I don't deserve to when other people are going through so much more. I've never really been myself since my Dad's death. I feel like I've stopped grieving for him and started grieving for the person who I used to be. The day my Dad died, is the day I changed forever and I don't like this new me. I used to be happy and content. Now I've lost a parent, a grandparent, my house, my cat (who was rehomed after having owned her for 17 years), the security of having two parents, my role within the family and relationships with other family members have broken down because they blame me for my Dad's death. But I will never get closure because I will never know why he did it.

I'm angry with my family. I have fought my own beliefs that I was in someway responsible to stop me from driving myself mad. But they blame me and I no longer know if they are right or if I am right? I'm angry at their selfishness. I never really knew how selfish they were until now. No-one helps me or helps me to look out for my Mum who is finding it difficult to cope on her own. Suddenly it is all my responsibility and I feel trapped and frustrated by the whole situation.

I want to escape this situation but more than that; I want to escape my own mind. Knowing I caused his death and put my family in this situation is something I struggle to cope with. I have to live knowing he died thinking I didn't care and that I was angry with him. How can I ever live with the image I have in my head of the disappointment/hurt/anger in his face the last time I looked at him. He was pleading to be listened to and I didn't. It is a mistake I have to live with for the rest of my life. How can I do that? I did it. I caused him to do what he did and I don't know how I will ever get over it. I miss him so much. I would give up my own life just to be able to talk to him last one time to tell him that I did care and that I wasn't angry.

I punish myself in ways I never thought I would. Since his death I have suffered with anxiety/depressed/suicidal feelings. But these are all things I deserve to feel because now I understand how he felt when he said he couldn't live like this anymore and no-one would help him; because now no-one can help me. But I don't deserve help because I'm paying the consequences for my own actions. But it isn't just the emotional stuff. I punish myself physically too because I deserve to feel pain. But I don't want to. But I don't know how to stop. Because feeling something is better than feeling numb. I prevent people from becoming close as friends or even in the sense of a proper relationship because I don't trust people anymore. Yet, at the same time I've fallen in love with one of my male best friends but I will never tell him because why screw up his life like I screwed up my own and I don't deserve someone like him. Someone who is funny and kind and caring. Someone who has seen me at my worst yet doesn't want to run away but wants to help. But I will never deserve a relationship with someone like him. He deserves better and he can do better. I will never be good enough for him.

The stress of doing my final year retakes over the summer is becoming overwhelming. I can't afford to mess these exams/assignments up again because second chances don't happen all that often. But I don't know if I can do it. I'm not good enough.

I hate myself - in every way. I shouldn't be posting this because I deserve to feel this way.

Comments

• Options
    I'm really sorry to hear about your dad and all the other circumstances such a tragic thing to go through, such things are emotionaly damaging. Everyone deserves to feel self worth! and by posting this you'v shown yourself that you want too gain yours again. forgiving yourself is the hard part and if you achieve this you'l be able to take on the responsibilities that's been left for you. I can't really give much usefull advice,just things such as seeking out medical help, councilling(your institution may offer this),therapy. But you'v done the right thing by posting this and that's a great step forward. Best of luck!
  • Options
    It's not your fault!

Hey hun,
    I've read your post, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad, but unless you physically killed him, it's not your fault! People do daft things for all sorts of reasons; even if he thought you were angry with him, that would not have been the sole reason for doing what he did.

I understand you're feeling depressed with your situation, but try flipping it around for a moment. You say you're feeling suicidal: how do you think the people around you would feel if you took your own life? They'd blame themselves and put themselves into the position that YOU are in now. You have to be strong and try to move forwards, perhaps with professional help if you think you would benefit.

If you would like to talk things through, you could always message me and I'll try and help as much as I can :)

FrogsandRainbows.X
  • Options
    Hey Whitelillies

I'm sorry to hear you were scared to post this - but it's good you were able to open up and express everything that's been bottling up... I really hope that writing it all down has eased some of the pain and pressure.

Your description of how your place in the family has changed is probably one that many people can identify with after the death of a loved one. It's often the case that when one of the main pillars of the family goes, everyone else has to shift around until the balance feels right. That can take time, and there can be lots of bumps and problems along the way... the nature of your dad's death has obviously made it an even bumpier ride, but hopefully you'll all find a way to get along eventually.

It seems like a lot of things are causing you stress at the moment - your retakes, your family, the friend you like - and it can be harder to pick yourself up at times like this when you've also got grief to deal with. You say that you're punishing yourself, but the only way you can move on positively is to start being kind to yourself and believing in yourself. You're right to say your family are being selfish - they should know that your dad was his own person who made his own decisions... hopefully you know this deep down, even if it feels hard to accept it at times.

I'm sorry that I'm not offering much advice but one thing I do wonder is - is there anyone more positive that you can spend more time with for the time being? It sounds like your family are holding you back and like you need to be around people who can see the situation for what it really is. If there's any way you can put some space and time between you and your family it could help you find a way forwards.

Please keep posting here and letting us know how you're feeling... big hugs to you *hug**hug*
  • Options
    Thank you for the responses to my rant...

I don't know about believing it Spanner...I genuinely blame myself. I know I didn't physically give him the stuff and tell him to do it but I contributed to how he felt that day...and that constant image in my head of how he looked...what was I thinking by just ignoring him...I am such an idiot.

I have no time to be around other people - I am at home constantly because of all the uni work I have to do in such a short space of time. I also couldn't openly admit what I have here to people face to face because they don't understand and just try and talk me out of it, which makes me feel that how I feel is invalid/crazy.
  • Options
    Had to throw some prescription med to the back of a top shelf so I cant reach it for my own good. Just want to take the lot :(
  • Options
    Well done you.

Is there anywhere else you can do your uniwork? Public library maybe? Also, sometimes universities have recipricol library arrangements (Especially for remote students) where you can use the library of another local university to study/work. Not sure if that's practical or an option for you but could be worth considering.

Also - remember with the uni work how much progress you make when you're on a roll. So don't be afraid to take a break, take some time out for chilling, for junk tv, for time with friends and to give yourself time to recharge before hitting it again for another blitz. And yes, even on the time frame you're dealing with that could be a couple of days not just a couple of hours.
  • Options
    Working on uni work from home hasn't been an issue in the sense that I can't work, as I am home on my own during the day (well I was until the school hols). I meant that my social life has taken a back step because of uni so I haven't been able to escape as much. Although I am going out with two friends for a bike ride this evening :)

Although uni is a contributing factor it isn't really what's making me feel like this; rather that how I feel generally is having a knock on effect on uni as its knocking my self-confidence.

I have completed my first essay now so just the second one to go...I should be pleased but I keep reading it and telling myself it won't get a decent grade (which is what I need, to get a good grade overall) so why bother. But I know that's driven by the other stuff and how crap I feel, not necessarily by uni itself.

I don't know why but I always start feeling like this around an upcoming anniversary and I guess my family don't help because they feel it too.
  • Options
    I know uni work isn't the whole problem. But it seems like particularly at the moment you've got an absolute mountain going on in your mind. Mountains are difficult to handle. Individual rocks are much easier.

It's good that you can splurge out the whole mountain here. It's a great starting point to be able to get yourself to the point where you feel like you can get a bit more control over your feelings and life again.

Anniversairies will always be hard. Some will be harder than others, and with it all still being very fresh it's not a surprise that things wobble a bit around certain times - especially as your family will be having a similar wobble. There's an arguement that says it's great - you can support each other however my experience is actually more that you end up winding each other up.

Give yourself some space. Spend time with friends. Try not to beat yourself up about your uni work and take things one step at a time.

p.s. It's definitely not your fault. I know you probably won't believe me - but it's not your fault.
  • Options
    Anniversairies will always be hard. Some will be harder than others, and with it all still being very fresh it's not a surprise that things wobble a bit around certain times - especially as your family will be having a similar wobble. There's an arguement that says it's great - you can support each other however my experience is actually more that you end up winding each other up.

:yes: We seem to rub each other up the wrong way because we are all so emotional. But there is an expectation for me to be fine and help everyone else and I can't do that. I don't think they truly know how I have felt (especially at my lowest) in the past 17-18 months. I know only I can tell them but I can't do it and I don't think it would make much difference if I did.
    Give yourself some space. Spend time with friends. Try not to beat yourself up about your uni work and take things one step at a time.

I'm trying to and I will keep making the effort to go out.

I know I'm a perfectionist. I know I give myself a hard time more than anyone else ever could. I can't explain it but I feel mentally trapped in a situation that no matter how many times I think I've come out the other side, something happens and I go straight back again.
    It's definitely not your fault. I know you probably won't believe me - but it's not your fault.

I wish I could believe this because then maybe I wouldn't feel like I do at the moment. I have just watched Footballs Suicide Secret and Gary Speed's sister was saying how she never noticed how he felt but wished she had. I wish I could say the same. But I could see what was happening. I didn't envisage suicide...but I could sense this time was different. But I was so annoyed on that morning that I just wanted it to end. It did end. But I never wanted it to end in that way. The phrase "Be careful what you wish for" is so true :crying:
  • Options
    I went for my first bike ride since being injured (last time I went out was April). Part of my route (it was 14 miles) has a hill that was one I could always do but struggled with. I promised myself this evening, if I could get all the way to the top without stopping then I could do it. I could end everything. Because that's what would make me happiest right now and it would be a way to celebrate my achievement of cycling to the top of that hill (I know...I sound warped/crazy). Only I didn't quite make it to the top. I cycled the whole thing but I had to stop near to the top because I just couldn't do it. So now I have to stay and live through whatever "this" is. Should have kept going for a tiny bit longer...because at least that pain would have been temporary. :crying:
  • Options
    I think that probably tells you everything you need to know. You've got a bit of you in there that knows that you can beat this, and that there are ups and downs and that this is a down but there will be an up to follow it.

Xx
  • Options
    Hi WhiteLillies :wave:

Well done with the bike ride! It doesn't matter if you didn't make it quite up to the top next time you can make it one cycle more and you will get there :)
    You did better than what I could have done, I can't even walk up a hill without stopping!

Be proud that you went out and challenged yourself to get up that hill on the bike :heart:

purple_rain :heart:
  • Options
    typed out long reply, lost it :(. main thing is hugs, will post the rest in the morning xxx
  • Options
    I don't want to get up this morning :(

Ahh that's crap Purple_roo! I hate it when ithat happens!
  • Options
    Took extra pills to make me sleep...no sleep but now have very painful cramps :(
  • Options
    Doh. That doesn't sound good.

The kind of things that moving around might help with, or the kind that might need some medical input?
  • Options
    Wish I had just OD'd on them instead.
  • Options
    No. You know that wouldn't really have been a good idea. Any improvement in the cramps?

What have you got planned for the weekend?
  • Options
    It really would have been a much better idea :crying:

They are on and off but I guess it's my fault so I'll put up with it.

I am working approx. 12 hours tomorrow, followed by a day of uni work on sunday...you?
  • Options
    I cannot take anymore. I've had it.
  • Options
    C'mon.

Bite size chunks. Give yourself a break. Take some time out and look how far you've come.
  • Options
    Its not just the essay I cant do...i just cant do any of it anymore. I just need a break...
  • Options
    *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Hugs. I aint sure what to say cos I dont think I am the best person to be giving advice right now. But I am here if you need a chat. Have some hugs from me. Pm me if you need a rant. Stay strong x

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Options
    I know it's not just the essay.

I meant try taking some time out from everything. Yes, I realise you probably need to go to work - but are there any options for escapism afterwards? An evening of trashy films with a friend. A knitting project. A long bike ride out in the fresh air. A swim.

I can't remember exactly what you're into - but something that's relatively chilled and easy, probably out of the house and away from your relatives, away from the uni work and that's got a bit of a distraction.

You've been doing brilliantly in handling everything that life has thrown at you - you deserve to take some time out to look after yourself and have a bit of chill time (but knowing you, chill time that's got a bit of a distraction not that just gives you time to think).
  • Options
    I'm going swimming tomorrow morning and a bike ride tomorrow night which will be good. I am considering going for one tonight as well but im pretty tired after working a 10 hour day with no break! Im panicking that my essay has to be submitted by next week. Your right that I need a distraction and not time to think but my brain just goes into overdrive!
  • Options
    Any potential where you are for a short ride tonight?

Get some fresh air, a change of scenery, and muscles enough of a work out to help with sleeping rather than just having an overworked brain?

Sounds like you've got the perfect plan in mind though.
  • Options
    Not really...any decent ride is 14 miles minimum...

I am considering staying in and writing an essay plan so I feel like I have some idea of what I'm doing.
  • Options
    What did you go for in the end?

(And if it was anything vaguely constructive in anyway - then kudos to you. I spent Monday evening sat on my bed, feeling sorry for myself and demolished an entire tub of ben & jerrys).
  • Options
    I wrote an essay plan. Missed my swim but have 400 words written.

Are you ok? I know you were worried about the move/job?
  • Options
    Very productive. Am impressed. Means that essay is nicely ahead for when you decide you fancy a swim.

I am a mixture of really excited and terrified about the move and the new job. It's the kind of thing I think that I know will be ok in the long term, but in the short term there's going to be a lot of chaos, a lot of stress and a lot to learn. Sometimes I'm feeling confident and think this will all be awesome. Sometimes I'm really not and it scares me. Then I eat ice cream, because clearly that will help......