Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Must I always refrain from complaining and talking shit about ppl at work?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Everything pisses me off and I mostly talk shyt about other ppl. They constantly give me something to complain about. Like a few days ago, there was a confusion over break time for me and another coworker. That girl came in later than I did and was supposed to get later break. The team lead told her to go to break first, so I spent all afternoon talking shyt about that lead behind her back. Said she suck as a lead and who the hell is she. Accused her of purposely sabotaging me. On and on.

Then the following day, a customer accidentally was in my way when I stepped into the store. I said in Spanish to a coworker in the back room that he's stupid and ugly and need to get his *** kicked. That pissed off my supervisor but I didn't give it a 2nd thought. Then later, someone complained to my supervisor that I'm always talking negatively about other ppl. They also mentioned the incident with the team lead to her. Always? I just occasionally do that and only when they piss me off! Also, they said I talk Spanish to coworkers a lot. Is that a big deal?

Anyway, they said if I cause anymore problems, I don't have a job. But what did I really do wrong? And those are just 2 of the many times I talk negative about stuff.

Comments

• Options
    Seriously? Your behaviour is appalling. You can't genuinely think that what you're doing is ok?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Seriously? Your behaviour is appalling. You can't genuinely think that what you're doing is ok?

I didn't think it was 100% ok. I just didn't think it was a big deal.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Kissmekate wrote: »

Well, it obvusly is. Maybe if you had a bad day one day and let something slip by accident then it wouldn't be a big deal, but, even by your own admission, this is just 2 of the incidents that have happened. You are lucky you have a job in this current climate but at the rate you are going it won't last long.

Your attitude is shocking and I hope that I am never one of your customers.
  • Options

You don't think it's a big deal that when a customer accidentally gets in your way you say that he's "stupid and ugly and need to get his *** kicked."? In the service industry, that's outrageous. At least you said it in the back room, Spanish is no "defence" against getting caught.
  • Options
    You don't think it's a big deal that when a customer accidentally gets in your way you say that he's "stupid and ugly and need to get his *** kicked."? In the service industry, that's outrageous. At least you said it in the back room, Spanish is no "defence" against getting caught.

And they also had it against me that I spoke Spanish to coworkers a lot. Tf?
  • Options
    Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster

It puts people on edge to speak in another language around people. It's like they are not allowed in the conversation or maybe they will feel that you are saying something about them. I can understand that you have good intentions, but it may make some people feel uncomfortable. Using another language excludes people, and compromises co-operation between your colleagues.
  • Options

Probably because they know that you're using another language to attempt to disguise the crappy way you talk about people.
  • Options
    Probably because they know that you're using another language to attempt to disguise the crappy way you talk about people.

They know what I was sayin.
  • Options
    They know what I was sayin.

You're speaking badly of other people, thinking you can do it freely because you're speaking Spanish instead of English you're mistaken. Great example, Piccolo put on a show once, and two of her cast were slating her in Spanish. Piccolo speaks extremely good Spanish, when they missed a cue because they were slagging her off instead of paying attention, she ripped them to shreds. Lots of people speak Spanish, it's in the 4th most spoken language in the world, and 2nd most spoken in the US.. It's a terrible disguise for bad-mouthing people. Try welsh next time.

So, knowing that, your employers want you to stop speaking Spanish because you use it to slag people off, even when they probably know what you're saying. If you had called a customer ugly, stupid and in need of an arse kicking, and they'd heard, you would have been fired on the spot.
  • Options
    Thx god customers didn't hear. I don't talk about ppl ALL the time, just occasionally. Like when the cafeteria took my order wrong and I bitched about it to a team lead. Accused the cafeteria of purposely sabotaging me and charging me more. That they ruined my whole day. That was the last time I talked shit about others before the recent incident.

Also, I joked that a female team lead looks like a man. She pissed me off but I forgot how.
  • Options
    I think it's just a matter of respect and from what I read you haven't shown respect to your customers or the people you work with and now you're surprised that it's come back to bite you?
  • Options
    Ellie :) wrote: »
    I think it's just a matter of respect and from what I read you haven't shown respect to your customers or the people you work with and now you're surprised that it's come back to bite you?

I don't like their attitude towards me. Like bitching at me to get to work. Threatening my job. Telling me I'm causing problems among coworkers. Will they ever forgive me?
  • Options
    I don't like their attitude towards me. Like bitching at me to get to work. Threatening my job. Telling me I'm causing problems among coworkers. Will they ever forgive me?

Seriously? You don't like their attitude towards you? Perhaps you should address the way you behave at work and conduct yourself properly with a formal apology to your coworkers, then they maybe willing to put the past behind them.
  • Options
    Seriously? You don't like their attitude towards you? Perhaps you should address the way you behave at work and conduct yourself properly with a formal apology to your coworkers, then they maybe willing to put the past behind them.

Just hope my supervisor is willing to let bygones be bygones. She said she could forgive me. Well, I'll just have to see!
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Wow.
    You seem to take some little things too seriously. Someone gets your order wrong, they misheard most likely - they're not 'sabotaging' you.
  • Options
    Respect works both ways. Trust has to be earned. People may forgive but never forget. You would probably find yourself in a whole lot less trouble if you were respectful of your colleagues and customers. That doesnt mean you have to like them, it just means you treat them how you would like to be treated. Have you considered going on a self-awareness course? It may benefit you considering you work in a people-facing environment.
  • Options
    I'd have sacked you a long time ago judging by this and your previous threads. You obviously have no appreciation of how to conduct yourself in a place of work. I suggest you adjust your attitude fast, it stinks so bad I can smell it from here
  • Options
    Respect works both ways. Trust has to be earned. People may forgive but never forget. You would probably find yourself in a whole lot less trouble if you were respectful of your colleagues and customers. That doesnt mean you have to like them, it just means you treat them how you would like to be treated. Have you considered going on a self-awareness course? It may benefit you considering you work in a people-facing environment.

I just wanna keep this job. I wish I knew other ways to deal with ppl pissing me off.
  • Options
    Don't act like a child.
  • Options
    I just wanna keep this job. I wish I knew other ways to deal with ppl pissing me off.

Keep your head down, complete the tasks that you are responsible for, speak to your colleagues/customers with respect and if your in a situation where you feel pissed off then count to 10 in your head and breathe or walk away...if you stopped complaining and talking about others in the way you have been, I would suggest they would stop pissing you off. As I said before respect works both ways.
  • Options
    Keep your head down, complete the tasks that you are responsible for, speak to your colleagues/customers with respect and if your in a situation where you feel pissed off then count to 10 in your head and breathe or walk away...if you stopped complaining and talking about others in the way you have been, I would suggest they would stop pissing you off. As I said before respect works both ways.

What if the two incidents described was ALL that happened? Would they have reacted so badly?
  • Options
    That's irrelevant at this point. They're not the only incidents.
  • Options
    That's irrelevant at this point. They're not the only incidents.

I kno, just asking
  • Options
    I work in a coffee shop, starting my manager training soon (woop go me!)

Every has their bad days where they're greeted by a rude customer and have their 5 minutes rant in the kitchen then they get on with their job professionally, end of. If i heard one of the staff talking about the customers the way you have (even if they couldnt hear) there would be severe words.

It does seem to me though that you dont know how to deal with people, or at least deal with anger.

I hate using this word but the 'normal' reaction to the things you've described isnt to throw a tantrum, bitch about people, threaten violence towards them, accuse them of 'sabotaging' you. Nobody purposely sets out in their day to sabotage someone. Im not surprised your colleagues dont like you

You seem to think you have some kind of right to treat people this way and you dont. There's one rule i like to live by: treat people the way you would like to be treated.

Do you think YOU have the problem, or do you think OTHER PEOPLE have a problem with you?
  • Options
    So even if it only happened once or twice, they could still hate me for it? And what's the difference between the "5 minute rant" you are referring to and the way I talked about the customer?
  • Options
    So even if it only happened once or twice, they could still hate me for it? And what's the difference between the "5 minute rant" you are referring to and the way I talked about the customer?

I work in HR for a retailer and I have shop floor experience in the same company...both jobs were/are extremely demanding and the colleagues in our store are effectively my customers. If I find I am having quite a stressful day, and I am in the office with only other HR colleagues I will have a 5 minute rant about what has annoyed me, etc to get it off my chest. In that rant - I would never be derogatory or disrespectful about the other person because it is common for people to have their differences or personality clashes. I also wouldn't because I would hope that they wouldn't be disrespectful about me behind my back.

If you had a particularly difficult customer and on ONE occasion you were caught ranting about how frustrating you found them but you weren't being rude/derogatory, etc and you were well out of sight/ear shot of any customers, then I would imagine your employer would possibly have overlooked it. However, having read your previous threads this point is irrelevant because not only do you seem to be disrespectful of customers but also your colleagues and it doesn't seem to have been just the one or two occasions you keep referring to.

If these people "piss you off" then maybe you should reconsider working with customers because unfortunately, they pay your wages.
  • Options
    I just said the customer was ugly and stupid and weren't within earshot or customers. Apparently my supervisor didn't take that too well. Hopefully she could forgive me.
  • Options
    Do you recognise that your behaviour was out of order?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
  • Options
    Do you recognise that your behaviour was out of order?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Yeah and I intend to change. I just can't stand ppl not liking me.
  • Options
    Well its something you have to get used to. Not everybody is going to like you but if you treat people with a bit of kindness and respect they'll at least do the same to you.

Next time stop and think about what you're about to before you do it
This discussion has been closed.