Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Self Harm Awareness Day - Expert Special on coping tips and distractions

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I usually distract by drawing lines on my arms with a red pen, but this is quite an obvious method :/ does anyone know any that are more subtle, things I can do that would distract, but that my family wouldn't notice?

So if using a red pen usually helps you, I guess you need something that you can see. Some people find that using a washable tattoo or transfer helps - and as it fades you can imagine the stress going away with it.
  • Options
    Hi,
    Ever since I came to university in September, I've started using self harm as a coping technique. I've been finding it really hard and stressful being away from home/keeping up with uni work I get overwhelmed and before I know if I've cut myself. I've got some people who I'd call friends, but I don't think we're close enough for me to burden with this. I can't talk to my parents, because I know they'd freak out and I don't want to worry them. I've got scars and I'm scared about my parents noticing them when I come home for Easter.
    How can I deal with my emotions without resorting to cutting? I really don't want to do this anymore, I feel so weak for doing it.
  • Options
    Hi, I pick at my skin every time I look in the mirror. I can't leave blemishes alone, and once I've picked at blemishes, I often start picking at random skin, or tiny spots no-one can see. It's been happening for a while now, and I have to wear a lot of makeup to cover it. My skin's not terrible, but I've become very self-conscious about it.

I've tried covering mirrors with towels so that I don't pick, but I have a huge mirror in my room, so it's a bit hard haha! Also I'm too shy to tell my parents as they're stressed enough as it is, so I need distraction techniques that they won't notice, thanks! :)
  • Options
    It normally happens when I feel hate towards myself, like last night, I was up all night and could only think about doing it, after relapsing I can only see the harm getting worst and worst, and I can't seem to distract myself properly. I've been trying to focus more on the positives but the negatives are more overwhelming and it's like I'm breaking apart.

That sounds tough. Feeling self-hatred is very common in people who hurt themselves, but it IS possible to work through. Think of things that feel nice - it might be a warm bath, or getting snug under a blanket in your favourite pj's - doing things that feel nice can really help. Also, try and be your own best friend - if your best friend was feeling about him/herself how you are, what advice would you give them? Keep going, you CAN do this!
  • Options
    Hi,
    Ever since I came to university in September, I've started using self harm as a coping technique. I've been finding it really hard and stressful being away from home/keeping up with uni work I get overwhelmed and before I know if I've cut myself. I've got some people who I'd call friends, but I don't think we're close enough for me to burden with this. I can't talk to my parents, because I know they'd freak out and I don't want to worry them. I've got scars and I'm scared about my parents noticing them when I come home for Easter.
    How can I deal with my emotions without resorting to cutting? I really don't want to do this anymore, I feel so weak for doing it.

Hi funky - first of all, try not to feel weak - it really isn't a sign of weakness - and it's amazing you're looking for support. Have you got a doctor or a counsellor or student support worker you can open up to at uni? You might also find it useful to have a look at this link on meeting health professionals which might give you some food for thought...
  • Options
    :) thanks
  • Options
    Hi! I'm Sara I have not self-harmed for long not to mention I don't normally listen to the surgery but I was listening to Dan and Phils show and I heard you were talking about this.
    I can't stop honestly I've tried lots of things I've even had my best friend hide my Razor but it didn't work I got another one and kept going.
    I don't do my arms or anything and when I do its only one or two on the upper arms but I do on my thighs ALOT and the only one that knows is that friend that I mentioned earlier and the reasons I do it is I feel stupid .... to everyone I'm pretty and have friends but I can't help that one day once I get out of high school I wont get into college and I'll become a deadbeat like some people I know... I don't want to deal with growing up to be something I don't want to be I want (more than anything) is to become a forensic scientist but I feel as if I'm so stupid I'm going to end up not achieving that dream and dying alone of depression. I have my razor next to me on my nightstand hidden in a bag. And a friend saw the one or two cuts on my arm the other day and I'm pretty sure he didn't believe my story of my dog scratching me when I was protecting my cat.
    Rachel I'm not crazy or ill or looking for attention its just helping me relieve my pain about my thoughts on my mind...
    I'm not doing this because I feel ugly on the outside but I feel ugly on the inside... Help me please
  • Options
    That sounds tough. Feeling self-hatred is very common in people who hurt themselves, but it IS possible to work through. Think of things that feel nice - it might be a warm bath, or getting snug under a blanket in your favourite pj's - doing things that feel nice can really help. Also, try and be your own best friend - if your best friend was feeling about him/herself how you are, what advice would you give them? Keep going, you CAN do this!

I'd give the advice to them which was honest.. and to tell them not to beat themselves up over it, it's much easier than telling yourself that though. It's hard, but I guess all I can do is to continue talking about it and working through it might be the only way.
  • Options
    -
  • Options
    I have been thinking for a while about telling my mum I self harm, but I am worried about her reaction, cos in the past she reacted really bad. I know this is a stupid feeling cos I am an adult. But I am still scared. :/
  • Options
    Hi, I pick at my skin every time I look in the mirror. I can't leave blemishes alone, and once I've picked at blemishes, I often start picking at random skin, or tiny spots no-one can see. It's been happening for a while now, and I have to wear a lot of makeup to cover it. My skin's not terrible, but I've become very self-conscious about it.

I've tried covering mirrors with towels so that I don't pick, but I have a huge mirror in my room, so it's a bit hard haha! Also I'm too shy to tell my parents as they're stressed enough as it is, so I need distraction techniques that they won't notice, thanks! :)

Hey there. Thank you for posting, Can you work out how this started? What happened the first time? Take a step backwards and see if you can figure that out. You have somehow managed to associate mirrors with pain, and the behaviour sounds as though it's become a real habit. You can try to do something else with your hands every time you see a mirror e.g. click your fingers - the harming it won't happen overnight and will require will power, but try and learn a new association. Good luck!
  • Options
    Hi! I'm Sara I have not self-harmed for long not to mention I don't normally listen to the surgery but I was listening to Dan and Phils show and I heard you were talking about this.
    I can't stop honestly I've tried lots of things I've even had my best friend hide my Razor but it didn't work I got another one and kept going.
    I don't do my arms or anything and when I do its only one or two on the upper arms but I do on my thighs ALOT and the only one that knows is that friend that I mentioned earlier and the reasons I do it is I feel stupid .... to everyone I'm pretty and have friends but I can't help that one day once I get out of high school I wont get into college and I'll become a deadbeat like some people I know... I don't want to deal with growing up to be something I don't want to be I want (more than anything) is to become a forensic scientist but I feel as if I'm so stupid I'm going to end up not achieving that dream and dying alone of depression. I have my razor next to me on my nightstand hidden in a bag. And a friend saw the one or two cuts on my arm the other day and I'm pretty sure he didn't believe my story of my dog scratching me when I was protecting my cat.
    Rachel I'm not crazy or ill or looking for attention its just helping me relieve my pain about my thoughts on my mind...
    I'm not doing this because I feel ugly on the outside but I feel ugly on the inside... Help me please

I never listened to the surgery until I started listening to Dan and Phil. In fact, I was watching Dan's video 'Self-Mutilation' today. I hadn't watched it before, and I was so glad that he picks at his skin too. I was glad I wasn't the only one, although I think it's more of a problem for me than for him.
  • Options
    I have been self harming for years, but it is more severe when it is encouraged by voices, how can I cope with this?

Hi oncoming storm, our experts will try to have a look at your question but I thought you might also find it helpful to have a look at this link for young people who hear voices.
  • Options
    I'd give the advice to them which was honest.. and to tell them not to beat themselves up over it, it's much easier than telling yourself that though. It's hard, but I guess all I can do is to continue talking about it and working through it might be the only way.

Yep, it's very hard to take your own advice. Part of overcoming self-harm can involve will power too, and having a renewed determination every day. You can do it.
  • Options
    Thank you, Rachel! I will keep at it!:) x
  • Options
    I've been self harming for around 7 months now, I've tried other techniques but nothing gives the same release. I like to see the marks left and feel the pain, I don't even know if I want to stop
  • Options
    Hi,

So for you, the self harm seems to be linked with being away from home, and the stress of the uni work. Before you try to stop cutting, think about what you can do to make being away from home easier to manage. Are you in regular contact with people back home - do you plan for the times when you can chat or meet up with them. Perhaps the uni work stress is making you miss them more. Maybe you can get some help organising your uni work, and remember to plan some time to relax. Do you have favourite ways you like to relax, e.g. listening to music, going to the gym, or something like going to a yoga class can help to de-stress you. When you really need someone to help you, think about who is available to talk to e.g. uni student support services etc.
  • Options
    I have been thinking for a while about telling my mum I self harm, but I am worried about her reaction, cos in the past she reacted really bad. I know this is a stupid feeling cos I am an adult. But I am still scared. :/

Hey, telling someone you're self-harming is incredibly hard, especially if you've had a bad reaction in the past. How did you tell her last time? It may be easier to talk to one of her friends and get some support that way so it's not just the 2 of you. Equally, you could try and write a letter and make sure she gets it several hours before you're going to see each other so she has time to digest things. Be brave, if you want to tell her I'm guessing it's because you need/want her help. Good luck!
  • Options
    Hey there. Thank you for posting, Can you work out how this started? What happened the first time? Take a step backwards and see if you can figure that out. You have somehow managed to associate mirrors with pain, and the behaviour sounds as though it's become a real habit. You can try to do something else with your hands every time you see a mirror e.g. click your fingers - the harming it won't happen overnight and will require will power, but try and learn a new association. Good luck!

Thank you! I'm not sure where it started. I've always been pretty self-conscious, I have quite frizzy hair and I never used to wear makeup, so I guess I got bullied a little for that. I didn't think it had affected me that much, but maybe it has, I don't know :/ I guess it started with picking at the occasional spot, but it's got a lot worse now. I'll definitely try the clicking technique, thanks for the help. It's great to be able to talk to a councillor about this, I'm too shy to in real life!
  • Options
    kelsieb wrote: »
    I've been self harming for around 7 months now, I've tried other techniques but nothing gives the same release. I like to see the marks left and feel the pain, I don't even know if I want to stop

It will be hard to find something that will give you the same release. Have you found and coping strategies or tips?
  • Options

hi there forensicsforever - really well done for looking for support. It sounds like you are taking steps to try and get some help and help yourself - but sometimes you do need some additional support to work through the feelings you are going through. Do you have any friends you can confide in? You might find it helpful to visit your GP who might be able to help you think about how you can get some more help to talk your feelings through. Do you think you might be able to open up to someone you trust?
  • Options

Hi Kelsieb,

No-one can make you stop - only you can decide if you are ready to try and cope without the self-harming. It can be hard to leave self-harm behind because in a funny way it can make you feel safe and the thought of not having it can be scary. If you feel ready to move on, then start by identifying how you feel before you hurt yourself - understanding how you feel and what makes you want to harm is the best place to start. Take care
  • Options
    Hey, telling someone you're self-harming is incredibly hard, especially if you've had a bad reaction in the past. How did you tell her last time? It may be easier to talk to one of her friends and get some support that way so it's not just the 2 of you. Equally, you could try and write a letter and make sure she gets it several hours before you're going to see each other so she has time to digest things. Be brave, if you want to tell her I'm guessing it's because you need/want her help. Good luck!

I told her just out right, not the best idea. I don't know what to say to her, I have gone to tell her loads of times, and wrote her letters and chucked them away. Cos I felt really nervous,and worried. She has depression herself so I think that's why she acts the way she does. Like with me. I don't know if i want her help tbh cos she doesn't need to deal with this aswell as her own stuff. I just feel like it is something I need to do.
  • Options
    I don't really know any other coping strategies, when I have urges come I feel like there is no other option but cutting
  • Options
    Thank you! I'm not sure where it started. I've always been pretty self-conscious, I have quite frizzy hair and I never used to wear makeup, so I guess I got bullied a little for that. I didn't think it had affected me that much, but maybe it has, I don't know :/ I guess it started with picking at the occasional spot, but it's got a lot worse now. I'll definitely try the clicking technique, thanks for the help. It's great to be able to talk to a councillor about this, I'm too shy to in real life!

Well done for being brave. You can do this! Good luck.
  • Options
    I don't really know any other coping strategies, when I have urges come I feel like there is no other option but cutting

Hey - have a look at my previous reply. Start by working out how you feel before you cut.
  • Options
    It will be hard to find something that will give you the same release. Have you found and coping strategies or tips?

Hi Kelsieb, as Claire says, there's loads of coping tips out there - have you looked at our article of tips for distractions collected together by a group young people who told us what worked for them.
  • Options
    The people at school make fun of my cuts, they call me emo and freak and it's really not helpful to trying to stop harming myself. My counselor won't see me anymore because she says she's not qualified enough to deal with me. I don't have any real friends, and my parents will give me hell if they find out about the cutting. I've been dealing with this for years, and I don't want to do it anymore. I'd thought maybe when people saw that I was upset enough to hurt myself they'd leave me alone but they don't, and I don't want to live like this anymore. I can't. My distraction techniques that have worked for the last few years are becoming ineffectual and I don't know what to do. I can't ask for another counselor because I can't let my parents find out about this. I've thought about killing myself so freaking much, I've got a dozen packets of painkillers under my bed and I'm so ready to take them all. I keep telling myself to wait just one more day, that tomorrow will be better but it's been the same for the last seven years and I don't know who I can talk to.
  • Options
    Well done for being brave. You can do this! Good luck.

Thank you for the encouragement and advice! :)
  • Options

TheSite has a good article on coping tips. http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/mentalhealth/selfharm/copingtipsanddistractions
This discussion has been closed.