Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Self Harm Awareness Day - Expert Special on coping tips and distractions

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
:wave: If this is your first time on TheSite, then welcome! :)

This Friday was Self Harm Awareness Day, thanks to ella! for her thread which is enabling people to think about the damaging myths that are still out there preventing people getting the help they deserve.

At 9pm on this evening we'll open the discussion during Radio One's Sunday Surgery which will be a self-harm special. At this time, two experts will be on hand to respond with advice and information for those looking for help in relation to coping tips and distractions. As this is the discussion boards and not a more formal expert platform, you are of course fully entitled to chip into the thread with your own thoughts, ideas and support. I'll also be around with Fostress. :thumb:

Things you need to know:
  • Posts looking for help with issues other than coping tips and distractions will be moved into the main health & wellbeing forum. You will still be able to get support from the community and other mods there, your question just probably won't be answered by the experts.
  • If you are a regular and want to ask a question privately, then feel free to PM me or Fostress.
  • The usual forum rules apply, but you may also find it helpful to watch our video on posting about self-harm specifically.

You can read insight on why others find TheSite helpful here.

The experts are:

Rachel from selfharm.co.uk
After experiencing many years of self-harm and eating disorders through her teens into her twenties, involving both in and out-patient treatment, Rachel always hoped that one day she may be able to use her experiences for the good of others. She initially sat on the selfharm.co.uk Board of Advisors before taking up post as Project Director in February 2010. Since that time she has developed and expanded the training programme, overseen the long-awaited completion of this website and co-ordinated a project to produce 4 short films about self-harm. Rachel regularly speaks at events across the UK.

Previously, Rachel spent 10 years working with children and adults with learning disabilities and associated mental health difficulties and is currently studying for a degree in child and adolescent development. She is married with a 4-year-old son and a baby daughter and lives in Norfolk.

And

Mark who is a Senior Childline Supervisor.

Look forward to your questions and replies this evening. :)

Comments

• Options
    Getting ready to start this guys...currently sitting in the BBC R1 Live Lounge and have spoken to Aled about the show - sounds like it'll be a goodun, so well worth tuning in - and welcome if that's where you've found out about this.

Frankipanda will also be on air :hyper:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have it on now!:D
  • Options
    yey good luck :)
    listening now :D
  • Options
    Hi

Hi - I'm Mark, and I'm ready to read your messages and chat to you.
  • Options
    Hello from Rachel

Hi, I'm Rachel!

I'm the director of selfharm.co.uk and I'm looking forward to hopefully chatting to some of you tonight.

Come and say hi!
  • Options
    yey, good luck lovelies :)

Do post your questions here if you have them Claire and Sophie :)
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »
    Do post your questions here if you have them Claire and Sophie :)

I never like starting!
  • Options
    hey everyone, im just listening to the show now, and fingers crossed it helps :)
  • Options
    I never like starting!

Go on, be a trail blazer!
  • Options
    I'm listening too.
  • Options
    *braces herself*

So I've been harming for a while, but sometimes get really frustrated over small things to where I normally act upon it... I want to stop but it's easier said then done, and find coping with not doing it makes me feel worst.. is there anyway I can control that?!
  • Options
    Pyrodude6 wrote: »
    hey everyone, im just listening to the show now, and fingers crossed it helps :)

Hi there pyrodude, welcome - have you got any questions for our experts or just thoughts on coping and distractions?
  • Options
    What sort of questions can we ask?
  • Options
    Go on, be a trail blazer!

Probably totally not right :P
  • Options
    What sort of questions can we ask?

We want to talk about good distraction techniques tonight.
  • Options
    help? :P

i self harm quite often, noone knows about it. i do it for no reason sometimes, but mostly while im stressed out or even slightly angry. i cant think of any other way to express my feelings. it relaxes me alot but i really dont know what to do about it, please help me :banghead::confused:
  • Options
    Can we offer tips to others that have helped us as individuals?
  • Options
    I usually distract by drawing lines on my arms with a red pen, but this is quite an obvious method :/ does anyone know any that are more subtle, things I can do that would distract, but that my family wouldn't notice?
  • Options
    *braces herself*

So I've been harming for a while, but sometimes get really frustrated over small things to where I normally act upon it... I want to stop but it's easier said then done, and find coping with not doing it makes me feel worst.. is there anyway I can control that?!

Hey, Brilliant you for going first!! You say there are small things that trigger you - is there a pattern to when these things happen? It could be the time of day, or they might follow something in particular. A good place to stop is to see if there's a pattern to either something external or something you're feeling.
  • Options
    Hi there pyrodude, welcome - have you got any questions for our experts or just thoughts on coping and distractions?

Well i've been self harming myself for a while now, and its had ups and downs. But well sometimes its just over nothing really and when i look back its silly. Just wondered if you have any new coping methods
  • Options
    How to stop...

I have been self harming for quite a while, and it has been really upsetting the people that know about it. I need ways to distract myself from wanting to cut, but I just don't know how to do it.
  • Options
    I usually distract by drawing lines on my arms with a red pen, but this is quite an obvious method :/ does anyone know any that are more subtle, things I can do that would distract, but that my family wouldn't notice?

I find listening to music, going outside, and also writing helps me. This is everyday behaviour so your family wouldn't have to know any different.
  • Options
    i self harm quite often, noone knows about it. i do it for no reason sometimes, but mostly while im stressed out or even slightly angry. i cant think of any other way to express my feelings. it relaxes me alot but i really dont know what to do about it, please help me :banghead::confused:

Stress can be a big trigger for self-harming behaviour, so it's important to try and pinpoint what is causing the stress and whether you can do anything to minimise that. Boredom can also be a trigger, as slef-harm can make you feel something when you think you're feeling nothing - so keep busy!
  • Options
    Can we offer tips to others that have helped us as individuals?

You can indeed
  • Options
    is self harm always related to mental disorders?
  • Options
    Hey, Brilliant you for going first!! You say there are small things that trigger you - is there a pattern to when these things happen? It could be the time of day, or they might follow something in particular. A good place to stop is to see if there's a pattern to either something external or something you're feeling.

It normally happens when I feel hate towards myself, like last night, I was up all night and could only think about doing it, after relapsing I can only see the harm getting worst and worst, and I can't seem to distract myself properly. I've been trying to focus more on the positives but the negatives are more overwhelming and it's like I'm breaking apart.
  • Options
    I have found distractions to be an ongoing thing for me to try and find the best distractions. Only recently have I started to take positive steps to sort my life out. I find being outside a big help. whenever I feel low or have urges. I go outside, meet up with friends. do anything to get myself out of the house. I find being busy a big help too.

Also music, and writing :)
  • Options
    wonder wrote: »
    is self harm always related to mental disorders?

Hey, that's a good question - it isn't always - it can be an expression of mental distress, but doesn't mean the person who does it has a disorder - does that make sense?
  • Options
    I have been self harming for quite a while, and it has been really upsetting the people that know about it. I need ways to distract myself from wanting to cut, but I just don't know how to do it.

Hey, well done for being able to post about it. It's good that you want to find distraction techniques. First you need to try and work out how it is you feel before you self-harm as that will tell you how else to cope - e.g. if you harm when you're angry then you need to find a distraction to the things that make you mad. Start with how you feel.
  • Options
    There's a good article on TheSite.org about Coping Tips and Distractions too. Here's an extract;
    If you feel an even stronger urge to self-harm, try the following harm minimisation tips:
    Use a red felt tip pen to mark where you might usually cut
    Hit pillows or cushions, or have a good scream into a pillow or cushion to vent anger and frustration
    Rub ice across your skin where you might usually cut, or hold an ice-cube in the crook of your arm or leg
    Put elastic bands on wrists, arms or legs and flick them instead of cutting or hitting
    Have a cold bath or shower
This discussion has been closed.