Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Would you complain?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I work in one of the large supermarkets. One of my colleagues is currently on suspension as a customer made a complaint about him. I don't work on the shop floor but all staff are told to interact and be 'warm and friendly' to customers at all times. As such we often see the same people over and over again and we're permitted a little bit of small talk with them.

This guy however asked a female customer out for a drink. Apparently he sees and chats to her there a lot. He didn't do it in a seedy or sinister way - I know this as I witnessed it happen. She declined and he responded with a "Ok, no problem" kind of way. Certainly not arsey or unfriendly.

Now I'll agree that asking someone out while you're in work is unwise but really, was making a complaint all that necessary? Although not what you'd call 'mates', they apparently have a quick chat when she comes in and if he's on duty. He wasn't harassing her so while I agree his actions were unwise. would you have made an official complaint?

Comments

• Options
    ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    Personally, I would have felt uncomfortable if it was me, but if he acted like that after I said no I wouldn't have complained.
    I used to work in a supermarket and had some guys (usually older) flirt or say some stuff, gave me the creeps. So it was absolutely unwise, but I think the customer went a bit OTT with the complaint.
    xx
  • Options
    The thing is, whilst I think it is likely over the top to have complained, we don't know if the person was being nice about the offer for a drink, to avoid being in a awkward situation. Also, is it definitely the person who complained? Or another member of staff?
  • Options
    Could have been the female customer's boyfriend?
  • Options
    I wouldn't have complained no.
  • Options
    All I know was it was just those two present, I was around a corner but I could hear the tone and gist of the conversation. I may be biased towards him a bit but nothing in his tone was threatening or anything like that. I wouldn't have thought he'd have asked her out if he wasn't sure she was single but obviously that's just conjecture.
  • Options
    What one person finds non threatening, whilst not considered threatening by the person making the complain, can still make someone feel highly awkward. I'd leave things be as I guess the complaints procedure will be something nobody has any idea about, apart from the guy in question, and everything else is rumour and conjecture. Hopefully it will just be a case of promising not to try chatting up the customers again.
  • Options
    Thing is though I may be called as a 'witness' if it gets to disciplinary proceedings. I'm assuming he'll just get a talking to for being mildly inappropriate, we'll see though.
  • Options
    I'm not the sort of person to make an official complaint these days but I would never go to that shop again.
  • Options
    I find it quite bonkers that someone would complain (or avoid a shop entirely) because someone asked them out for a drink. Asking someone out is an inherently nice act, that says "I like you". That a reaction to such a move is hostile says something about our society, i think.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    I find it quite bonkers that someone would complain (or avoid a shop entirely) because someone asked them out for a drink. Asking someone out is an inherently nice act, that says "I like you". That a reaction to such a move is hostile says something about our society, i think.

I can see where you are coming from here, we don't know this persons (the complainer) history and there good be a genuinely good reason to suggest why she might have complained. However, after this I would reckon that the shop worker wouldn't approach the woman, nor would she get in any situation where they would start idle chit chat.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »

He might want to rape her next? I used to work for a big supermarket, when I was 15 years old. They treated me and all the other girls like sex objects, the managers I mean. One of them would come up behind me and rub his cock into my bottom through my clothes, he would touch my breasts, he would talk about spanking me next time I'm late for work, as me about lewd sexual acts, offer to 'put my hands somewhere really warm so there would be no need for me to wear gloves', call me darling, sweetheart and lots of other sexist names. When I left after 18 months my replacement was 16 years old and one of the managers tried to rape her in the warehouse. Supermarkets are not nice places, they are not safe places, if someone asked me for a drink in the supermarket I would want to now what they 'really' wanted from me, I'd be very suspicious of them. I don't go to supermarkets anymore.
  • Options
    But I wouldn't complain to the supermarket if someone asked me out. I didn't complain to the supermarket about the stuff above. I did once complain in writing about the blueberries being priced wrongly at a supermarket though.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    He might want to rape her next?

I think we've just found the point where common sense exited this thread.
  • Options
    CM Punk wrote: »
    I think we've just found the point where common sense exited this thread.

Well he might?
  • Options
    Right, and best not answer your front door as it might be burglars.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    He might want to rape her next?
    Your story was awful. :( But that was the people in one place -and sometimes this kind of "people" tend to gather together. They had absolutely no right to do any of these things and I would hope that they've been exposed by now.
    However, asking someone for a drink is still not a bad thing to do and doesn't in any way mean that the person who does it is like those. You had some very bad experiences but (fortunately) they don't reflect the majority of people.
  • Options
    Right, and best not answer your front door as it might be burglars.

I have a peep hole and check who it is before I answer the door. I'm very selective of who I let in my front door. For example if I am under the crisis team I only let the female workers in. I have been known to let in firemen but I called my friend to come over to make sure nothing untoward happened. And when I've had the police over they have been alright to me but I wasn't expecting them and if you don't answer your door to the police I don't know what happens, they might break it down to get to you or something? Also my friend had burgulars in a 'nice area' and they stabbed him. They moved house straight away and then after the court case moved country to New Zealand. The world is not a nice place.
  • Options
    I have a peep hole and check who it is before I answer the door. I'm very selective of who I let in my front door. For example if I am under the crisis team I only let the female workers in. I have been known to let in firemen but I called my friend to come over to make sure nothing untoward happened. And when I've had the police over they have been alright to me but I wasn't expecting them and if you don't answer your door to the police I don't know what happens, they might break it down to get to you or something? Also my friend had burgulars in a 'nice area' and they stabbed him. They moved house straight away and then after the court case moved country to New Zealand. The world is not a nice place.

OK.

Well if a guy tries to ask you out don't forget to let the police know of your suspicions about him.
  • Options
    Your story was awful. :( But that was the people in one place -and sometimes this kind of "people" tend to gather together. They had absolutely no right to do any of these things and I would hope that they've been exposed by now.
    However, asking someone for a drink is still not a bad thing to do and doesn't in any way mean that the person who does it is like those. You had some very bad experiences but (fortunately) they don't reflect the majority of people.

Thanks Indrid :)

I would say that I have a lot of friends with similar experiences from different parts of the country and different parts of the world. It goes on everywhere.
  • Options
    OK.

Well if a guy tries to ask you out don't forget to let the police know of your suspicions about him.

I didn't report the supermarket stuff to the police but the police did get involved once they tried to rape another girl.
  • Options
    An unwanted physical advance and asking someone out for a drink are quite different imo. The guy spoke to her regularly anyway, he asked, she said no. End of story. He probably shouldn't have done it when on duty though but I don't think it was worth complaining about.
  • Options
    I didn't report the supermarket stuff to the police but the police did get involved once they tried to rape another girl.

I guess all men are potential rapists then?
  • Options
    It's not really very appropriate or professional and you don't know who complained. I can actually understand why someone would complain.
  • Options

Have a bit of sensitivity. Randomgirl has shared a really unpleasant experience. The ministry of justice tweeted today that 1 in 20 women report being a victim of sexual abuse. Its a serious issue, and not to be treated flippantly, or to say that a person who basically has been assaulted has left their common sense behind.

For the record, no I wouldn't have complained based on what you've said. But if I had a background of sexual assault I would have.
  • Options
    Yes but thankfully not all 'potential rapists' go on to rape although a lot do. Here is an article for you. http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/commentators/laurie-penny-its-nice-to-think-that-only-evil-men-are-rapists--that-its-only-pantomime-villains-with-knives-in-alleyways-but-the-reality-is-different-8079403.html
  • Options
    Yes

Just like you're a potential child killer then.
  • Options
    Just like you're a potential child killer then.

Yes I am. Everyone is. It doesn't mean I will become one though. I also know plenty of people who have been sexually abused by women including their own mothers. It's not a gender issue. Men and women are both abused and abusers.
  • Options
    Yes I am. Everyone is. It doesn't mean I will become one though. I also know plenty of people who have been sexually abused by women including their own mothers. It's not a gender issue. Men and women are both abused and abusers.

Please don't judge us all by your curious standards. I'm as capable of rape as I am of manual flight.
  • Options
    Please don't judge us all by your curious standards. I'm as capable of rape as I am of manual flight.

Did you read the article she posted? Because I have a feeling that either you didn't, or you didn't understand.
  • Options

Oh fuck off. Have some empathy.