Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

June 22nd - Day of the emergency budget!!!

Eeeeekk, I'm a bit nervous.

1. Because I'm wondering if I still have a job - I work in the public sector.

annnd

2. Because there have been talks of cutting public sector pay by 10% as well as asking us to pay more into our pension! Sooooo even if I am left with a job, am I even going to be able to afford to keep it?

:chin:

Just thought there should be a thread on this! :D
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    In the build up to the budget we have had to endure the most hyperbolic amount of alarmist bollocks this country has ever heard- I guess they're trying to 'soften us up' for the cuts they have in mind.

And while the economy is far from rosy, make no mistake- the Tories are using the excuse to introduce savage, Thatcher-style cuts, because at the end fo the day they are Tories and that's the only thing they know.

Bad times ahead.
  • Options
    10% cut in pay, where the hell did that come from :nervous:
  • Options
    Have a play with the BBC's deficit reducing program: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10373060.stm

I plump for VAT to go up to 30% for the next five years. BOOM! Problem solved.
  • Options
    it was on dispatches last night.

eta: it was said that someone on £25k, would lose £3700 a year if they increased pension contributions and cut pay by 10%. i can't afford that. i'll be looking for a new job if they do that! we are already going to be taking a pay cut by not getting our inflation pay rise!
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    In the build up to the budget we have had to endure the most hyperbolic amount of alarmist bollocks this country has ever heard- I guess they're trying to 'soften us up' for the cuts they have in mind.

And while the economy is far from rosy, make no mistake- the Tories are using the excuse to introduce savage, Thatcher-style cuts, because at the end fo the day they are Tories and that's the only thing they know.

Bad times ahead.

You don't think that the Lib Dems might have had some steadying influence over the proposed cuts? If the cuts are that savage, they'd just leave the coalition. The Lib Dems have already secured some tax breaks for those least well off which the Tories may otherwise ignored.
  • Options
    it was on dispatches last night.

eta: it was said that someone on £25k, would lose £3700 a year if they increased pension contributions and cut pay by 10%. i can't afford that. i'll be looking for a new job if they do that! we are already going to be taking a pay cut by not getting our inflation pay rise!

A new job ...where?
    I think you'll have to pop over to China or India.
    Even the Mc jobs will be going if sales start falling.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    You don't think that the Lib Dems might have had some steadying influence over the proposed cuts? If the cuts are that savage, they'd just leave the coalition. The Lib Dems have already secured some tax breaks for those least well off which the Tories may otherwise ignored.

The Libs have sold their souls to the devil I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Two year pay freeze for public sector workers on incomes over £21k.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/politics/live_event/

I work in the public sector too and this is more or less what our union rep told us to expect from the budget yesterday. It remains to be seen how this actually translates into reality for us all though...I still think we might end up being asked to take pay cuts at some time in the future.

ETA: Oh and VAT rising to 20% from January next year.
  • Options
    The Libs have sold their souls to the devil I'm afraid.

:yes:
  • Options
    sigh...

planned tax relief for the video games industry scrapped - great, bloody great. my boyfriend works in the video games industry.

2 year pay freeze for me. well, thats better than being made redundant although i'm still not sure if i will or won't be? it has been said that up to 300,000 public sector workers are going to lose their jobs but what jobs are these going to be? have i missed something? does anyone know when this pay freeze comes into force? will it be after april next year?

oh and increase in VAT so we'll be spending more.

great :yeees:
  • Options
    I'd be better off if I was staying in the country, I think. But things would cost a bit more. Swings and roundabouts.

I think the VAT is a mistake. It will cause problems for business, even if the corporation tax is reduced, and an income tax increase would've been a fairer increase.
  • Options
    sigh...

planned tax relief for the video games industry scrapped - great, bloody great. my boyfriend works in the video games industry.

2 year pay freeze for me. well, thats better than being made redundant although i'm still not sure if i will or won't be? it has been said that up to 300,000 public sector workers are going to lose their jobs but what jobs are these going to be? have i missed something? does anyone know when this pay freeze comes into force? will it be after april next year?

oh and increase in VAT so we'll be spending more.

great :yeees:

Keep an eye on what the 25% cuts to non protected departments means to you. That's the one that's likely to properly fuck people.
  • Options
    i know, thats what worries me.

i still don't know if my job is safe or not :banghead: i just want to know where i stand. its really stressing me out.
  • Options
    It's no consolation I know, but you're not the only one :( I don't like my job much, but I'd rather have one than not.
  • Options
    when do you reckon they'll let us know if our jobs are safe or not? :(
  • Options
    I don't know. I've just read that full details of the cuts to government departments will be set out on the 20th of October. I don't know how it works for you but we've had a lot of talks lately from our bosses about what to expect from the budget and I'd imagine that now it's come out we'll have more of the same - have you not had any communication of that sort?
  • Options
    we've had nothing whatsoever.

i know that all UK chief constables met up with the PM yesterday though regarding the budget so hopefully, we'll hear something soon :(
  • Options
    Yeah, I had a look on the ACPO website just now in the hope that there might be something on there but there isn't. I don't know if you're in a union or not but if you are it might be worth speaking to your representative just to talk over your worries and get some direction on what you can perhaps expect. Ours has been really helpful to us so far, although obviously there's only so far he can reassure us - his opening gambit yesterday was "it's doom and gloom, I'm afraid."
  • Options
    well, i'm with unison. i might contact them. hopefully they'll know more!
  • Options
    well, i'm with unison. i might contact them. hopefully they'll know more!

:yes: I would. I'm surprised they haven't been in communication with you and your colleagues already. I'm with PCS and we get stuff all the time from them.
  • Options
    well, we get stuff in the post all the time from them but we've had nothing regarding this...

i'll get in touch this week.
  • Options
    :yes:

Hello miss Telefunken ...hope you and yours are doing good.
    I'm only popping in here till my week long ban ends where I usually post these days.:D
  • Options
    The Libs have not just changed their minds in a matter of days ...what they should be saying is ... everything they believed in the election campaign turned out to be wrong wrong wrong.
    Which makes them either liars or idiots or both.
    I feel sorry for those who voted for them ...you were had.
  • Options
    You think this is the budget that the Tories actually wanted to deliver then Mr Roll?
  • Options
    I work for the public sector and earn over £21,000 a year so am also affected by the two year pay freeze, however tbh I am not too bothered as it could have been much worse and I know that loads of people in the private sector don't get annual pay increases! Am more concerned about the 25% reduction in staff though, from a selfish point of view but also as a manager wondering how staff might be affected. Don't think the VAT rise is a good idea at all.
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    It's no consolation I know, but you're not the only one :( I don't like my job much, but I'd rather have one than not.
    My department are really busy as it is. It's impossible on some days to get your work finished...

I am cynical about the government job cuts actually doing anything, but then they're going to happen anyway.

I'd like to be employed until Christmas, so I can pay off my overdraft (I made the mistake of going to university and studying what I did lol, shouldn't have bothered)... I'm looking for another job as it is, but in all honesty, I am actually thinking of leaving the UK anyway.

I don't like this country any more and would like to see if I can be happy elsewhere.

My flatmate recommends Australia.

As for the rest of the stuff, I'll be grabbing a paper tomorrow and checking it out.
  • Options
    I am a paid up Lib Dem supporter and I firmly believe in MOST of their values.

That said, even as a Liberal, I can see sense in at least one of all the major party policies.

I am personally happy with this coalition and I am also happy with the budget. Those saying x y or z person/party has sold out or lied is just being stupid.

It's a coalition, which means compromise. And of course they are not going to come out on TV and say they didn't want it this way, they must support the path chosen and the policy written or the party will be undermined.

As a top rate tax payer, I will definitely be worse off in this budget, I will not benefit from the tax breaks, child benefit is frozen (ie a real term decrease yoy) and tax credits reduced. Considering the amount of debt I'm trying to pay off, it's not great. But for the good of the country, and the poorer people in the country, I am willing to take the hit.

I don't know what people expect a goverment to do when it has 1 trillion £ of debt and a £170 billion annual deficit. I mean, come on? It's a good balance, and if it weren't for the "idiots" like me who voted Lib Dem, the Tories would be in their on their own, and I'm damn sure the budget wouldn't have been so fairly distributed!
  • Options
    :thumb:
  • Options

That said, even as a Liberal, I can see sense in at least one of all the major party policies.

I am personally happy with this coalition and I am also happy with the budget. Those saying x y or z person/party has sold out or lied is just being stupid.

It's a coalition, which means compromise. And of course they are not going to come out on TV and say they didn't want it this way, they must support the path chosen and the policy written or the party will be undermined.

As a top rate tax payer, I will definitely be worse off in this budget, I will not benefit from the tax breaks, child benefit is frozen (ie a real term decrease yoy) and tax credits reduced. Considering the amount of debt I'm trying to pay off, it's not great. But for the good of the country, and the poorer people in the country, I am willing to take the hit.

I don't know what people expect a goverment to do when it has 1 trillion £ of debt and a £170 billion annual deficit. I mean, come on? It's a good balance, and if it weren't for the "idiots" like me who voted Lib Dem, the Tories would be in their on their own, and I'm damn sure the budget wouldn't have been so fairly distributed!

Even some Lib MP's have come out today and said they are a bit shell shocked.
    One guy said he recently got elected on the fight against the Tories likely rise in VAT.

The Libs were a center left party and I don't think you can excuse their now right wing ideals.

They sold out ...simple as.

MOK ...what did the libs get?
    People on minimum wage not getting taxed?
    Surely the minimum wage earners earn more than seven grand.
  • Options

I couldn't have put that better myself.

Give this government a chance, I say. How Labour can stand there in parliament today, slating the budget when they fucked up this country good and proper, beggar's belief.

The quicker we can get through this pain, the quicker the government can start to give more to those areas which need attention. The Lib Dems will call their favours in at some stage when the economy is better and, if the next election is according to Alternative Vote, the Conservatives know that they may still need the Lib Dems in the future.

Just as Labour changed from a left wing party to the awful centre-ground mess that it is now, perhaps the Conservatives are changing in some ways and are more agreeable with some Lib Dem policies. They'll never be tree-huggers but their old Thatcher supporters are a dying breed.

We don't have much of an alternative at the moment so let's see how they get on. They've had the best of the brains from both parties (and ex-chancellors) for advice, which gives me far more confidence than imagining Labour being responsible at such a time as this.