Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Obligatory World of Warcraft Thread

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    World of Gaycraft :)

Just logged into Gaydar, and the banner ad on the home page was for Cataclysm :D

So what are The Forsaken up to ? Just popped along to have a look at Gilneas (Worgen home city), nothing there yet but you can have a look round, and Southshore and the Highlands is all 'plaguey' with Forsaken all over the place. What they doing ?
  • Options
    Well, after a year of non-playing, I want to give WoW another shot. My client has just installed 3.2 to 3.3 (that took hours for just 120MB) and it now needs to download 5GB to get it from 3.3 to 4.0. While the Blizzard downloader is going at a constant rate of 8kb/s i.e. just a little more than 56k modem, it somehow renders my 10Mbit connection unusable. I can't browse the web at all while the downloader is active. I used to know an alternative web site with all the WoW patches but I can't seem to find it. If someone like RS can point me in the right direction, that would be groovy. Thanks.
  • Options
    I run wow on a private server so always have to update manually

I used this for all of my patches
    http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/patches/worldofwarcraft/patch.html

but looked at this also
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Patch_mirrors
  • Options
    Thanks Hellfire. I'm now downloading near to my maximum possible speed (1.1MB/s) and I can still surf the net :-) I fail to understand why the Blizz downloader only downloads at 8kb/s yet cripples my 10Mbit.
  • Options
    Have you got peer 2 peer enabled ?
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Just logged into Gaydar, and the banner ad on the home page was for Cataclysm :D

So what are The Forsaken up to ? Just popped along to have a look at Gilneas (Worgen home city), nothing there yet but you can have a look round, and Southshore and the Highlands is all 'plaguey' with Forsaken all over the place. What they doing ?
    There's a Forsaken quest line around Gilneas. Kinda cool, lots of phasing :D

ETA: Also, Garrosh calls Sylvanas a bitch in a cutscene. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDud0lNOF7E
  • Options
    I must admit I'm not the biggest of WoW fans, but the new adverts on the TV look cool as chips :)
  • Options
    Have you got peer 2 peer enabled ?

I wouldn't know where to check if I had P2P enabled, sorry. To me, P2P means Napster, Winmx, Soulseek etc.

I've managed to install the updates from Strategyinformer in the end. After the 120MB, it had to install 5.2GB followed by another 2.6GM to bring my game version to 4.

I've read the release notes and it says that warlock soul shards have been ditched (warlock being my main class). And there's more stats for armour along the lines of "reforging", the human starting place no longer exists and apparently the Stormwind auction house is in a different place. It's gonna be a whole new game to me.
  • Options
    It's a whole new game to everyone!

Yeah the SW AH is just next door to where it was, they built a swanky new buillding. Whole world has changed so suggest you go do a bit of exploring like i did :)
  • Options
    P2P - From the launcher. Top left > Options > Downloader Preferences.

SW AH - It's right next door to where it was, the entrance is round the side by the fountain near the inn

Soul Shards - Haven't disappeared completely. You dont need them anymore for health/soul stones or wells/summon stones. You can have 3 max (there are 3 little icons under your mana bar to indicate them) and you get them with a new spell called, IIRC, Soul Harvest which generates 3 shards and health out of combat, bit like a mages evocation. Soul shards are now used to improve spells, make them instant cast, cause more damage etc. If you have enchamced tooltips on it'll show you which spells benefit from shards.

Spell power has gone from the game. Is now only on weapons and enchants. You get SP from intellect now. Int is now a red gem and hit now a blue. Spirit is now useless to locks, excpet in reforging.

Reforging (for casters as i only have casters) is great. You can convert 40% of a stat to another stat as long as the item doesnt already have it. Stats you can convert hit, crit, haste and spirit >> hit, crit, haste, spirit, and MASTERY. Mastery rating increases a paticular aspect of your spells depending which spec you are. For instance mastery increase the DoT damage of affliction locks, i think :) The cost of reforging is the cost of the item should you trash it to a vendor. You can convert the item back at any time. Reforgers are usually found with enchanting trainers.
  • Options
    Wow thanks RS! My main was a warlock, so as long as Blizzard hasn't purged my account, I'll continue playing my 'lock. 2nd character was a priest (L70), 3rd was a warrior (approx L55). Is hit still the most important stat? In my days, the priority was hit > spell power > haste > intellect > spirit. Stamina was quite high up for warlocks too, depending on what spec you were. I was a fire-spec 'lock, full destruction.

Maladjusted - I said that it was a new game to me because I haven't played since the New Year 2010. But yeah, to everyone too as we're now on WoW 4. Dunno how long it has been out for though.
  • Options
    Hit for raiding yes. So when hit capped. Int > Haste as int gives you sp now. Shadow priests have a lovely talent in shadow converts spirit to 50/100% hit so spirit still very usable by all priests, AND means you dont need crap loads of gear like my 80 priest does now, 4 sets as he needed (well wehn cata comes out) hit for shadow spec which now of course he doesnt. I'd say in my healing gear and shadow spec im probably hit capped to hit a level 103 boss :)

Affliction for pvp is great now, we have a wonderful spell called Soul Swap. Instant cast, take all the DoTs of a target and put's them on all your next target BUT you can get a glyph/talent (cant remember which) that leaves the DoTs on the original target.

Priests have some nice new spells, especailly love Shadowy Apparition. When you damage a target you have a chance to conjure a copy of yourself that walks to the target then goes BANG :) And if your target runs away, they'll follow it until you or the target dies :D
  • Options
    Wickiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid.

It's all updated now (I think!), so I should be checking it all out tonight.
  • Options
    Okies, I had a power cut on Sunday night, so I finally got back into the game last night.

First surprise was my hit points. I haven't levelled, no one else has levelled my account. I was always level 80, but I could have sworn that it's now double of what it was before. 25,000 without buffs.

Soul Link used to be top of the talent tree for Demonology. I find it amusing that it can be bought from the warlock trainer for 30 silver now.

Next, I see 110g in my mail box - refunded from some obsolete currency that I apparently had. Badges, marks of honour or something like that. Thanks Blizz :-)

Next nice surprise was to see that the game works fairly complete now without having to use a single mod. Things like UI scaling, raid frames, quest helper, gear manager... are all built into the game now. The only thing it still misses is the ability to combine my 5 bags as one big bag, so I'll look for a mod that does that.

I see the new auction house. It's basically in the back of where it used to be. Same building, just at the back, its door facing the bank / mail box.

I've not really spotted a graphics change yet although I'm still yet to explore into the new Azeroth.

The only area I would want to see improvement is the ability to customise your character more like in Sims 2 / 3, coz that area is getting quite basic in today's gaming standards.
  • Options
    Stamina - They took SP off everything excpet weapons and bumped the stamina and int accordingly.

Gold - Yes, all you old badge of justice etc were converted to cash. Honour marks and wintergrasp shards converted to honour. There is a cap on honour, valour and justice points of 4000 (for each one). If you're currently over 4k on any of them, spend them now as you wont be able to get any more until you're under 4k.
  • Options
    4 days and a bit :hyper:
  • Options
    Where are you guys going to buy the expansion from? I pre-ordered the last 2 from Amazon. TBC arrived 1 day late and TLK arrived a week late so I'll probably just pop into Tesco on the 7th lol.
  • Options
    I downloaded it form Blizz, so at 12.01 am Tursday 7th i'll be Catalysed :)
  • Options
    I downloaded it form Blizz, so at 12.01 am Tursday 7th i'll be Catalysed :)

Also got the digital download, and it's 12:01am european time but 11:01pm our time!
  • Options
    Also got the digital download, and it's 12:01am european time but 11:01pm our time!

Hurrah for us :)
  • Options
    Eye of the Vortex, just south of Auberdine. I'm off to have a look
  • Options
    Oh fuck, it's HUGE !
  • Options
    Less than 12 hours :hyper:
  • Options
    Less than 12 hours :hyper:

and then let the levelling and farming comence!
  • Options
    Woot! Wow thread! aweosme! ^^ well am new to the board and have just been checking stuff out.

i've played for a while now... most of my toons are on Eonar. my main... Resto druid with Kitty os. :D i finally got Algalon down a couple of weeks back. that fight is so much more interesting than the lk imo. :P

anyhoo enough of me battering in on the conversation lol. /hugs

p.s. Just a few hours to go! :D
  • Options
    I just got Mr. Grubbs :D
  • Options
    Are there any players who AREN'T getting the expansion right away? Amazon were 1 day late with TBC and a whole week late with TLK and I'm sure Tesco will have it in stock tomorrow. It certainly was when I was waiting that 1 week for TLK. Just should have gone to Tesco's :-P
  • Options
    God damn WOW players, breaking SC2! :(
  • Options
    Ive only just logged in. dont forget your archaeology
  • Options
    So players, where (geographically) does the new expansion take place? I don't recall Blizzard introducing a new continent this time. I guess instances could be anywhere, like Karazhan being next door to Darkshire but I imagine that the new levels 81-85 do have a flow?