Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

England, Gun Control, and its Crime Rate

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    So you can come up with a fantastic set of circumstances under which he will be taken unawares. Does that mean he should just say 'fuckit' and give up?

Ive heard the argument endless times from anti-gun nuts. They go on about the little old lady who gets jumped by a mugger from behind the post box and how her gun wont do her a damn bit of good..They always have to pick out the extreme circumstances and totally ignore the thousands of everyday situations in which it could help...

Its like someone deciding to stop wearing a seatbelt while driving because it wont protect them if a satellite drops from orbit right on top of their car.

PS, young men in the peak of their physical existance are the traditional target of muggers. Check the crime statistics if you dont believe me. Young males 17-24 are mugged more than any other group.
  • Options
    Oh let him be ebb, you might as well be talking to a gun itself. I suppose 'Nam must have been really hard, and paying attention to your surroundings was the number one priority if one wanted to stay alive. Sadly some seem to have taken this survival instinct back home, and still view their towns as big ugly jungles with Charlie hiding behind every tree trunk.
    Let's just say, with regard to 'situational awareness' and 'paying attention to one's surroundings' that many people have not option but to walk everyday through council housing estates and other dodgy areas- that's where they live. Therefore you can pay as much attention as you want to your council estate as you come home at night. It won't prevent avoiding five idiots waiting for you at one of the alleys or round the corner from one of the buildings.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ebb

Sorry I forgot people wandered around with sirens on their heads in America, here in UK its not beyond the realms of sci-fi to be walking along street late at night, turn a corner and suddenly be faced with a gang of pricks, or have them turn up behind you in a park, or leap from an alley way, or pull up in a car.................

Hmmmmm...seems you are one of the idiots who cannot be trained in situational awareness.

For Aladdin,

Growing up in Hell's Kichen, NYC, situational awareness was part of my life long before I had anything to do with the military. It just takes using your senses and keeping your brain engaged. Obviously a number of posters here are incapable of those basic tasks.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenhat

Hmmmmm...seems you are one of the idiots who cannot be trained in situational awareness.

For Aladdin,

Growing up in Hell's Kichen, NYC, situational awareness was part of my life long before I had anything to do with the military. It just takes using your senses and keeping your brain engaged. Obviously a number of posters here are incapable of those basic tasks.

So, your walking in an inner city estate late at night, you walk around a corner and a group of youths are stood there, looking right at you and demand you hand over your wallet, then what, tell me how you will apply these wonderful super human abilities in the art of self awarness and this immense brain power you talk of ?
  • Options

Must admit that your education was better than mine...

My family moved from Oakland, CA to outside of Portland, OR when I was five years old. Although I "lived" in that tranquil area outside of Portland, my "education" in life came from Oakland, and my instincts were rather altered by those experiences. Had I been brought up there, rather than being plopped down unawares, those experiences may well have been theoretical, rather than actual.

Always thought that those lessons in situational awareness were a part of what kept me alive in South East Asia. ;) Rather reverse of the superstitions posted within this topic... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by ebb

So, your walking in an inner city estate late at night...

Ever think that walking alone, late at night, in an area that you KNOW is going to bring you into a likely unhealthy confrontation, does not exactly support the belief that you are acquainted with the concept of "self-preservation"? ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    So you can come up with a fantastic set of circumstances under which he will be taken unawares. Does that mean he should just say 'fuckit' and give up?

As apposed to saying 'fuckit' let everybody run around indulging in testosterone crazed games playing with their guns, I mean fuckit, public get on with it, have your guns and fire away, criminals have your easy line of attack, normal people arm yourselves and start firing at anything and everything you decide might be a threat to a few quid in your pocket, kids, feel free to wander into the woods and have a laugh with your mates, lets all just play with our toys so we can feel all big and powerful, its pathetic.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Thanatos...AGAIN

Ever think that walking alone, late at night, in an area that you KNOW is going to bring you into a likely unhealthy confrontation, does not exactly support the belief that you are acquainted with the concept of "self-preservation"? ;)

Oh so those unfortunate enough to live in poverty should bloody well become prisoners in their own home ? Stay in doors poor scum ??????

What a wonderful little rainbow filled world you must live in at times.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ebb

Well done. Unable to counter my argument you totally change the subject and go off on a rant...Congratulations :rolleyes:

I wasnt talking about guns, I was replying to your comments about situational awareness and general self defence.

You really are a fucking child sometimes mate. You are acting like a child, you argue with every single thing that the yanks post, no matter the subject. You sound exactly like Whowhere a couple of months back.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ebb

Oh so those unfortunate enough to live in poverty should bloody well become prisoners in their own home ? Stay in doors poor scum ??????

What a wonderful little rainbow filled world you must live in at times.

Never observed rainbows.

Was watching were I stepped, less I tracked in the piles of excrement. Easier to avoid the mess, than having to clean it up.

Guess the concept escapes you, then? :rolleyes:

"I want my silver spoon, and I am gonna BITCH 'till I get it served up for me!" :mad:

Yup. Sounds just like you...
  • Options

Never observed rainbows.

Was watching were I stepped, less I tracked in the piles of excrement. Easier to avoid the mess, than having to clean it up.

Guess the concept escapes you, then? :rolleyes:

"I want my silver spoon, and I am gonna BITCH 'till I get it served up for me!" :mad:

Yup. Sounds just like you...

point been what ?
  • Options

I wasnt talking about guns, I was replying to your comments about situational awareness and general self defence.

Sorry, did my post appear to be about bananas ?

I didn't really see what relevance your post had, who was talking about armed old ladies, the point is old ladies wouldn't arm themselves and become a more obvious target ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by ebb

point been what ?

You really are a fucking child sometimes mate. You are acting like a child, you argue with every single thing that the yanks post, no matter the subject. You sound exactly like Whowhere a couple of months back.

That you are a whiner AND a wanker... :rolleyes:

That was DEFINTELY not directed at you, Balddog!
  • Options

That you are a whiner AND a wanker... :rolleyes:

If you can't answer his arguments, resort to personal insults. In fact, why not just shoot him? :rolleyes:
  • Options

Well done. Unable to counter my argument you totally change the subject and go off on a rant...Congratulations :rolleyes:

*cough cough*
    Originally posted by Thantos

That you are a whiner AND a wanker...

That was DEFINTELY not directed at you, Balddog
  • Options
    Originally posted by Vox populi, vox Dei

If you can't answer his arguments, resort to personal insults. In fact, why not just shoot him? :rolleyes:

Why bother?

He will certainly Darwin himself out of existence shortly, and my hands will be clean of the issue... ;)
  • Options
    If a gang come along, they'll size you up as to whether you'll fight or give your money, it's not awareness as , yes, round the corner they come looking for prey,

You Yanks, havn't you learnt, we don't have guns in UK, don't want them and will never have them
  • Options
    Originally posted by ebb

Sorry, did my post appear to be about bananas ?

I didn't really see what relevance your post had, who was talking about armed old ladies, the point is old ladies wouldn't arm themselves and become a more obvious target ;)

If you dont see the relevance then you are a lot stupider than I gave you credit for. It was merely an example of a type of argument. IE, going to extremes and avoiding the main point.
    Originally posted by ebb

*cough cough*

Ah so because Thanatos insults you that somehow justifies the total shit youve been posting constantly across numerous threads. Of course youve never insulted him or any of the other americans now have you :rolleyes:
  • Options
    From what I've read "situational awareness" you all assume that you have the ability to sense when someone is following you.

Put it simply, situational awareness means sweet FA when someone runs up behind you and smacks you on the head with a bottle or a stick.
    And that is something that can and does happen in real life.

Another example, walk around the corner, someone there, then a few more run behind you and knock you on the ground. Gun or not, you're fucked.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    Put it simply, situational awareness means sweet FA when someone runs up behind you and smacks you on the head with a bottle or a stick.
    And that is something that can and does happen in real life.

If you are actually aware of your surroundings then you wouldnt let someone sneak up behind you. You would be able to hear someone running at you and you would be able to either leggit yourself or get ready to defend yourself. If you were fully aware of your situation then you wouldnt simply walk round a blind corner, you would cross the road and walk round the corner on the other side so you would have the street between you and anything round the corner.
  • Options
    Baldock, you're talking shite. I've no idea who if anyone is coming round the corner unless I carry a wing-mirror on a long pole. Similarly for an assailant from behind.

This is 'blame the victim' for not having the mysterious senses you've been blessed with. Please donate your body to science on your demise, if not sooner.
  • Options

If you are actually aware of your surroundings then you wouldnt let someone sneak up behind you. You would be able to hear someone running at you and you would be able to either leggit yourself or get ready to defend yourself.

And if they can run faster than you ? Or are alot bigger than you ? Then what use is this awarness that Greenhat and Thantos tell us makes getting mugged virtually impossible or at least your own fault.

If you were fully aware of your situation then you wouldnt simply walk round a blind corner, you would cross the road and walk round the corner on the other side so you would have the street between you and anything round the corner.

How often do you actually do that ?
  • Options
    Originally posted by ebb
    Baldock, you're talking shite. I've no idea who if anyone is coming round the corner unless I carry a wing-mirror on a long pole. Similarly for an assailant from behind.

This is 'blame the victim' for not having the mysterious senses you've been blessed with. Please donate your body to science on your demise, if not sooner.

*yawns*

You cant turn your head to look behind you? When im walking home at night alone i check behind me every few seconds....I never said that I could tell who was coming round the corner, as you would know if you bothered to read posts properly before going off on one.

Sarcasm really doesnt become you ebb.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ebb

who the hell posted that ? that wasn't me, or the one above :confused:
  • Options

*yawns*

You cant turn your head to look behind you? When im walking home at night alone i check behind me every few seconds....I never said that I could tell who was coming round the corner, as you would know if you bothered to read posts properly before going off on one.

Sarcasm really doesnt become you ebb.

I know this all looks a bit dodgy, but i geniuenly did not post that :confused: I've never thrown a personal insult in politics.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ebb

I know this all looks a bit dodgy, but i geniuenly did not post that :confused: I've never thrown a personal insult in politics.

Dont worry about it...its that login fuckup thing :( Wonder if whoever did post, will actually own up.
  • Options

If you are actually aware of your surroundings then you wouldnt let someone sneak up behind you. You would be able to hear someone running at you and you would be able to either leggit yourself or get ready to defend yourself. If you were fully aware of your situation then you wouldnt simply walk round a blind corner, you would cross the road and walk round the corner on the other side so you would have the street between you and anything round the corner.

Ah... someone understands.

I can run up stairs in a full tilt boogie more quietly than most can tip-toe. I move quietly, always. Most people make so much noise, even when attempting to be quiet, that they can be heard from a great distance.

Woodscraft is one name given to it. Street smarts is another.

Survival is about being smarter than the preditors. Or better able to defend yourself than they are to attack. Preferable? Both.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ebb

So, your walking in an inner city estate late at night, you walk around a corner and a group of youths are stood there, looking right at you and demand you hand over your wallet, then what, tell me how you will apply these wonderful super human abilities in the art of self awarness and this immense brain power you talk of ?

Well, the problem is that you haven't bothered to apply the lessons being taught here. Use your ears, your eyes, choose how you cross streets and how you round corners in a manner that gives you time and space.

As for inner city..why don't you find out where "Hell's Kitchen" is?

T,

I always felt the same. It is the skills, the sense of awareness, the always keep the brain engaged that has kept me alive these many years in situations far more challenging than Ebb can imagine. ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by ebb

And if they can run faster than you ? Or are alot bigger than you ? Then what use is this awarness that Greenhat and Thantos tell us makes getting mugged virtually impossible or at least your own fault.

How often do you actually do that ?

I'm not a big guy. It isn't the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

As for how often? For me, all the time, everytime. Second nature. Natural response.

Use your senses. Use your brain. That's what it takes. Not autopilot. Not meandering along in a muddle. BE AWARE. All the time, everywhere.
  • Options

T,

I always felt the same. It is the skills, the sense of awareness, the always keep the brain engaged that has kept me alive these many years in situations far more challenging than Ebb can imagine. ;)

I am going to presume that what you are responding to is this post:

... Always thought that those lessons in situational awareness were a part of what kept me alive in South East Asia. ;) Rather reverse of the superstitions posted within this topic... :rolleyes:

Funny how that works, isn't it? Some city trained-up kid surviving in the jungle, in a hot AO, because of his "street smarts"... ;)

And here some are thinking we avoid those moments in civilization because of our "military training"... :D