Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

England, Gun Control, and its Crime Rate

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The link doesn't work...
  • Options
  • Options
    Why does everything have to be made into some kind of competition? My mate carries a knife when she has to walk past this heath next to her house and a few people I know carry knives, I like to carry hair spray/deodorant. I am not scared of guns, but violent people and as a small female nobody would need a gun to hurt or threaten me.
  • Options
    In 1994, an English homeowner, armed with a toy gun, managed to detain two burglars who had broken into his house, while he called the police. When the officers arrived they arrested the homeowner for using an imitation gun to threaten or intimidate. Now the police are pressing parliament to make imitation guns illegal. Most familiar is the 1999 case of Tony Martin, a 55-year-old Norfolk farmer, victim of six robberies, who shot two professional thieves when they broke into his home at night to rob him yet again. Like 70 per cent of rural villages his had no police presence. He received a life sentence for killing one burglar, 10 years for wounding the second, and 12 months for having an illegal shotgun. The wounded burglar is already free.

How can ANYONE subjugate themselves to this travesty (PC word for bullshit)and then convince themselves that they are a "free" society?

Do you have such abjectly low self-esteem that you consider your lives unworthy of defending?

THIS is what draws the "sheep" comments: you would collectively prefer to victimize yourselves than defend yourselves.
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    I am not scared of guns, but violent people and as a small female nobody would need a gun to hurt or threaten me.

As you describe yourself, you are one whom I would seek first to train and arm.

btw ~ it is not a poor self image through neglectful grooming habits which motivates the cretin, and your hairspray or deodorant will not deter him. More than likely, simply piss him off, and then you are REALLY in peril...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Thanatos...AGAIN

btw ~ it is not a poor self image through neglectful grooming habits which motivates the cretin, and your hairspray or deodorant will not deter him. More than likely, simply piss him off, and then you are REALLY in peril...

Very true, even a kick to the groin does more damage to yourself than your attacker. Best way to end a fight? To end the life of your attacker. Best way to do it is with a knife or gun. Even I doubt my own hand to hand combat skills and have a knife on me at all times. I may be trained to use my hands to kill, but you never know the training your attacker may have.
  • Options
    Don't you get bored of telling us how great guns are? ;)

I note few comments on Scarletts thread about her hometown, another family wiped out by a pissed off man with a gun.

Its always worth remembering guys that no matter how often you remind us of our crime rate, the US still has a homicide rate 17 times that of ours.
  • Options
    I disagree, I once had pepper in my eyes and it was absolute agony, my eyes were streaming anf I was effectively blinded for about 5 minutes. Maybe I should start carrying pepper. But I do not feel too threatened where I live and do not go to town on my own at night or certain areas.

There are many more aspects to the Tony Martin case than what is presented in that article.
  • Options
    guns are bad full stop. The police had to shoot some guy with a gun in my town the other day....first shooting here in years
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    guns are bad full stop.

Bullshit and you know it. A gun is a tool, and like all tools it can be used well or badly. Or perhaps you have proof that a gun could never be used for good? I'd really love to see it. :)
  • Options
    I don't see how a gun can be used for good...surely killing or hurting someone can never be "good", it is not good to be in that situation in the first place but I can see how in some circumstances a gun could control a situation.
  • Options
    I get your point PussyKatty. But when you have saved your own life, saved the tears of others, saved a lof of grief, the a gun is certainly concidered as a good thing.
  • Options
    I don't see how a gun can be used for good...surely killing or hurting someone can never be "good", it is not good to be in that situation in the first place but I can see how in some circumstances a gun could control a situation.

Really?

How about the weapons carried by the Home Guard in 1940?

Or the weapons that were used by the Allied troops to stop and eventually destroy the Axis?

How about the weapons used by Police Officers to stop, permanently or otherwise, dangerous criminals?

Over half the world considered the death of Adolf Hitler a good thing, and would have considered it such if an assassin's bullet or bomb had done it instead of his own hand. Seems to me that his own use of a pistol in the end was a "good" use of a firearm for the rest of the world.

As for gun control legislation, it doesn't work and never has. You can talk about your homicide rate, but how about looking at your violent crime rate instead? The only functional gun control is controlling a weapon to hit what you intend to.
  • Options
    And what about the current case where police shot a man dead who was carrying a table leg?
  • Options
    I disagree, I once had pepper in my eyes and it was absolute agony, my eyes were streaming anf I was effectively blinded for about 5 minutes.

Respectfully... I have had pepper spray in my eyes, too, in a training scenario. Hurt? Yes. Stop? Did not even slow me down. :rolleyes: "Non-lethal" defenses are a great way to end YOUR day... ;)
    I don't see how a gun can be used for good...surely killing or hurting someone can never be "good...

Please think about what you are saying. To defend yourself is a "bad" thing? Are you so utterly without worth that it would be better to submit to anything than to defend yourself?
  • Options
    I think guns have a place, they should be used when they are needed (army, armed response unit, antique collecters).
    I can think of no reason why privite citizens should need to carry guns. (i am anti-hunting BTW)

In the case of tony martin : he ended up in jail for using a gun illegelly. This i think is unfair, but if we didn't have gun-control he'd quite probabily be dead, if not from the theives he ended up killing, but from one of the other 6 that had previously robbed him.
    <i>sidenote : the thing that really made me laugh is the young theive's (with previous convictions) family tried to sue tony martin for potential loss of earnings. loss of earning? what's the current average salery for a burgler? It makes me realise that the parents really do have an effect on the children</i>

There are means of defending yourself that don't require you carry a gun, the best of them involve not putting yourself in a posistion where you are at risk. Its when people say "why should i be scared?" and "I have every right to walk down this darkend ally without being attacked" that nasty shit happens.

At the moment the police force (esp. the Met) treat gun related incidents with a higher priority than peadophiles (wow! thats a media-friendly comment). I'll be happy when C&E treat gun smuggling more seriously than drug smuggling.
  • Options
    I did not have pepper spray in my eyes but a large amount of actual pepper, glad to hear that it did not affect you at all however I am guessing you are in the minority, and I suppose you are like Michael Myers in Friday the 13th when he gets beaten, stabbed and still manages to run away again?
  • Options
    maybe if people feel the need to carry a gun about they should only sell guns to stun not kill
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    maybe if people feel the need to carry a gun about they should only sell guns to stun not kill

That paticular fantasy should stay within the Star Trek re-runs... :rolleyes:
    ... I suppose you are like Michael Myers in Friday the 13th when he gets beaten, stabbed and still manages to run away again?

C'mon, now... I am working at remaining civil with you, and have taken more of a protective position concerning you and your safety. Let's not get insulting, OK? :)

MANY people have a relatively high resistance to pain. Non-lethal measures might work on the less motivated, but anyone with an athletic experience learns how to push on through pain/discomfort.

I am 6' tall, and 200+ lbs. (90 kg?)... MUCH bigger than you. What are you going to do when that pepper spray is taken from you (because it proves ineffective upon the person attacking you), and then is used upon you?
  • Options
    What would I do if a gun was taken away from me?
    What would I d oif every single person in the UK felt they needed to own and carry a gun, never go out?
  • Options
    What would I do if a gun was taken away from me?
    What would I d oif every single person in the UK felt they needed to own and carry a gun, never go out?

You might actually live in a polite society then.
  • Options
    I had a tenant who got into an altercation over stealing something...when his betters confronted him he resorted to pepper spray...his advisary grabbed his hand and turned the device right back into his own face...and he was trounced soundly for his trouble. But I must qualify this...his advrsary was an all around better fighter than he and even though he was 6'+ and weighed over 200 lbs he was a 'bully' fighter rathar than a skilled one and even had he brought out a knife or gun he would have lost....

As you may have guessed, I have little use for pepper spray...a 9mm on the other hand...better judged by twelve than caried by six!

:cool:
  • Options
    Let's not get aggressive over this. For once, let's try a rational debate with guns. Please?

I am a curious person in this. I am English, but like guns. I think they are great sport, and a discipline which I would very much like to master. Currently, I practice regularly with what I can, and would like freer restrictions on what I can use and carry.

I do, however, see the legislative difficulty in making guns more freely accessible. Even sane people can turn violent, as evidenced in the German shootings, and the background checks are not anywhere near deep enough (nothing can be) to probe in to that and forsee it.

We have, then, a scenario, where neither side will budge. Accidents, mistakes, and deaths may indeed happen, and while terrible for the individuals and families concerned, they must be viewed in proportion to the societal whole. Only then can it be assessed. I see no reasonable solution.

The crime debate is academic. We don't know what will happen if guns are legalised. Yes, we can look at the USA as an example, but other places provide counter-examples. The only way to find out the truth is to do it. But that's a political Pandora's Box.

People will show strong bias, one way or another. I would recommend that all have experience of guns before they naysay, but then, I appreciate that all might not want to. Personally, I would welcome the opportunity to carry firearms, and to master the discipline which has already taught me so much.
  • Options
    Switzerland is the best example that can be brought up in this regard.

I have caried a pistol most of my adult life...and during much of my youth as well. Not because I had to but rather as a matter of choise...and have no quams about using a weapon if a need arises...there are recognizable consequences so this is always a consideration.

As for the disarmed citizen who is uncertain of their ability or fearful of weapons generally...they are safer for the armed citizens in their midst.

But a couple of points. Good firearms are expensive which requires thinking and preperation before purchsase...and they require skill to use...so we are talking about a commitment in money and time that is far more substantial than geting a drivers liscense for an automobile...and this does not include liscensing, permits, etc., or training costs!

:D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Diesel

But a couple of points. Good firearms are expensive which requires thinking and preperation before purchsase...and they require skill to use...so we are talking about a commitment in money and time that is far more substantial than geting a drivers liscense for an automobile...and this does not include liscensing, permits, etc., or training costs!

The ParaOrdnance .45 that I have carried for more than five years represents a little over $1000 in original cost and altered parts; to have had it built by a gunsmith would have been another $1000 (Diesel could give an honest appraisal of my gunsmithing abilities ;) ). The holster that carries it cost $120 seven years ago, and I am on my second belt. It has had a bit over 15,000 rounds through it, at approx $10 per 50 rounds. Do the math... that is a commitment to constant practice, of both time and money.

Does that represent the "average" person? I would think not. However, that "average" person probably cannot put three rounds into the size of your fist in one second, at a distance of 15 > 20 yds., with no more thought than reflexively covering your mouth when you cough.

My "wardrobe" is planned around carrying that sidearm 24/7/366, rather than having my choice of clothing dictate the firearm. I carry it whether it is 20F outside, or 100F outside (as it has been this week :eek: ).

It requires training, it requires discipline, and it requires commitment. Whatever transpires within a "Twilight Zone" moment is a consequence of those three factors... whether you survive the moment, or become a statistic.

In this country, where concealed weapons permits are generally available in more places than not, those who choose NOT to arm themselves are safer because of the doubt within the miscreant's mind as to whether the "prey" in front of them is someone who is afraid of guns and will cower in a confrontational moment, or is another like me who will lead them to a life altering moment.

The offer has been made to several within this forum that if you should ever "come to America", and find yourself in the Northwest (Oregon and Washington), I would spend time with them and avail them of the learning experience with firearms. That offer is also extended to you, "PussyKatty", in the hope of making your life safer... :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenhat

Sounds like something I read, once upon a time... ;)
    Stranger In A Strange Land, was it?
  • Options
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    --Robert A. Heinlein
    'The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress'
  • Options
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    --Robert A. Heinlein
    'The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress'

Right author, wrong source. See what twenty years will do to a person's memory? :eek: ;)
  • Options

I'm sorry but I just pissed myself laughing at that comment.

Do you seriously believe that the US is a Polite society?
  • Options
    Sure an armed society is a polite society... it's just a tad smaller, that's all. If death were the instant result of pissing someone off, you'd get a lot of casualties to begin with and then a group of very polite survivors. ;)

Of course, you might also expect a corollary effect that tempers would lengthen: no-one wants to get shot for having 'impolitely' shot someone else. ;)