Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

England, Gun Control, and its Crime Rate

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Greenhat

You've never been mugged, have you? Or raped? How about assaulted with a baseball bat?

I have friends from England who have had all of those done to them, in England. It's a bit more than a few bruises.

Oh, by the way, a firearm is an inanimate object. Like a hammer. Completely incapable of doing any harm by itself.

Oh, that farmer? You're right, if he had not been armed, he wouldn't be doing a long stretch behind bars. Instead he might be doing a permanent stretch six feet under.

None of those things justify blowing somebodies head off.

If you take that line then what stops people wandering down the street gunning someone down and then claiming he was attacking them ? The minute society believes its o.k to take the law into its own hands chaos breaks out. You can't run things like that, get a grip.

A hammer has a purpose in society, a gun does not.
  • Options
    Oh, that farmer? You're right, if he had not been armed, he wouldn't be doing a long stretch behind bars. Instead he might be doing a permanent stretch six feet under.

With might being the operative word there.
  • Options
    Blowing someone's head off that is attacking me with a baseball bat would not be my first option...double tap to the chest is far more lilkely...not nearly as messy either.

At my age I'd rather see any sob attacking me to do harm in their grave than suffer a single bruise...were I in the ol pirate kingdom I'd probably spend my first hour in London procureing a weapon...and then enjoy the sights. Always wanted to see the Tower...!

btw, how is the government, over there, going to handle all the homocidal meniach that will be returning from 'war' and going back into civilian life? Do you think they will all end up in prisons so your 'rulers' can feel safer controling the sheeple/peeple?

That last is a serious question...not intended as flippant or a flame.
    :eek:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Diesel
    At my age I'd rather see any sob attacking me to do harm in their grave than suffer a single bruise

:rolleyes:
    Originally posted by Diesel

btw, how is the government, over there, going to handle all the homocidal meniach that will be returning from 'war' and going back into civilian life? Do you think they will all end up in prisons so your 'rulers' can feel safer controling the sheeple/peeple?

What so people coming back from war should be allowed to wander around killing people until they adjust ? Clearly your not been serious.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ebb

None of those things justify blowing somebodies head off.

Your opinion.

The friend who was attacked with a baseball bat is crippled for life. He lives out of a wheelchair. He'll never have children. Someone took from him his ability to pass on life.

I think someone needs to beat the shit out of you so you can experience it. Might change your mind.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ebb

A hammer has a purpose in society, a gun does not.

Again, YOUR opinion. Perhaps Greenhat has it right concerning you?
  • Options

I think someone needs to beat the shit out of you so you can experience it. Might change your mind.

And you're gonna be the person to do it are you?

Choose your words carefully, we don't appreciate being threatened.

Statements like that are unwarranted and unnecessary and make you out to be a small minded individual with nothing better to do than threaten teenagers thousands of miles across the ocean.
  • Options
    http://www.moviebadgirls.com/index.html

Opinions vary...sometimes.

Always better to be judged by twelve than caried by six!:p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere

And you're gonna be the person to do it are you?

Choose your words carefully, we don't appreciate being threatened.

Statements like that are unwarranted and unnecessary and make you out to be a small minded individual with nothing better to do than threaten teenagers thousands of miles across the ocean.

I don't threaten. I expressed an opinion. I also don't beat the shit out of people. Physically violent confrontations I am involved in end in death for one or more of the parties involved. To date it hasn't been me.
  • Options
    So you admit to being a teenager. An irresponsible one that doesn't feel the need to be held accountable for his mistakes.

Now I see why you are the know it all you are.

Here we are trying to pull your heads out of your rearends so you can see there is life beyond the ocean that it doesn't drop off as soon as you leave shore and you are calling us small minded. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by gi_janearng
    So you admit to being a teenager. An irresponsible one that doesn't feel the need to be held accountable for his mistakes.

Now I see why you are the know it all you are.

Here we are trying to pull your heads out of your rearends so you can see there is life beyond the ocean that it doesn't drop off as soon as you leave shore and you are calling us small minded. :rolleyes:

Is that what you're doing? You're trying to do us a favour? already know there is life beyond the ocean, if yuo want to teach worldwide affairs to someone, go back and teach your own kids. The ones who couldn't answer when the war of independance was, or who the president during the second world war was, and who the Nazis were.
    Your kids are in more need of help than we are.
  • Options
    But I don't have any kids....;)
  • Options
    Bangs head repeatedly on a table

Can we just stop this tit-for-tat now? Or will backing down be a sign of weakness that you will ruthlessly take advantage of?
  • Options
    For someone who claims to know when to quit, why don't you?
  • Options

LMFAO, there we go again, simple yanks, can you not have a debate without insults ?

Whats the neccessity ? Because i dare to disagree with you, you think i need the shit beating out of me ? How childish :rolleyes: Grow up.
  • Options
    Originally posted by gi_janearng

Coming from an American :rolleyes: The only life beyond the ocean you lot know is your wars, thats about as far as your wonderful resevoir of knowledge extends, at which point did you decide you were teaching us something ?
  • Options
    Originally posted by ebb

Coming from an American :rolleyes: The only life beyond the ocean you lot know is your wars, thats about as far as your wonderful resevoir of knowledge extends, at which point did you decide you were teaching us something ?

Poot Pahsah Thai, mai?

Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

Uh Young unsayo?

Mieh yiem longx nyae?

You continue to illustrate how little you actually know.
  • Options
    Do you speak Thai
    Do you speak German
    Do you speak Japanese
    Do you speak vietnamese

Even I can understand that, and yes I can speak German.
  • Options
    Last two are Korean and Mien, not Japanese and Vietnamese.

Both are greetings, not "Do you speak" (decided to switch up).

I speak only a little Japanese, so it wouldn't be an appropriate choice. And Vietnamese would be too obvious. Mien and Hmong are much more "exotic".
  • Options

Poot Pahsah Thai, mai?

Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

Uh Young unsayo?

Mieh yiem longx nyae?

You continue to illustrate how little you actually know.

What the fuck has that got to do with anything :confused: You can say hello in a few languages, wow, congratulations :rolleyes:

Childish
  • Options
    Last two are Korean and Mien, not Japanese and Vietnamese.

Both are greetings, not "Do you speak" (decided to switch up).

I speak only a little Japanese, so it wouldn't be an appropriate choice. And Vietnamese would be too obvious. Mien and Hmong are much more "exotic".

:)

I am sorry, but this thread has turned into a "we will disagree with yanks, no matter what they fucking say"thread. Sad. Surely it doesn't show any form of intelligence, disagreeing with people just for the sake of it. Especially when they can back their words up a 100%... And some other people here can't.

And to ebb, it just shows that he hasn't got his head stuffed up in his ass, and actually makes an effort to see further than his own nosetip.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ebb

What the fuck has that got to do with anything :confused: You can say hello in a few languages, wow, congratulations :rolleyes:

Childish

Actually, the child is very evidently you.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper

:)

I am sorry, but this thread has turned into a "we will disagree with yanks, no matter what they fucking say"thread. Sad. Surely it doesn't show any form of intelligence, disagreeing with people just for the sake of it. Especially when they can back their words up a 100%... And some other people here can't.

And to ebb, it just shows that he hasn't got his head stuffed up in his ass, and actually makes an effort to see further than his own nosetip.

Firstly this debate was fine till, like usual, they start chucking threats about at anyonre and everyone who dare say they may be wrong.

Secondly, the ability to say a greeting in a few languages means absolutly shit, he could of just done that over the internet on a language converter, even if he hasn't I don't see what relevance it has. If he can speak various languages then fair play, thats all good, but he isn't America, its well documented that Americans have little knowledge of what goes on past their borders, have you ever seen American news ? Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but in an international affairs exam I bet the average American would do considerably worse than most other participants from various other developed countries.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ebb

Secondly, the ability to say a greeting in a few languages means absolutly shit, he could of just done that over the internet on a language converter, even if he hasn't I don't see what relevance it has. If he can speak various languages then fair play

Try finding a translator that will give you Korean in anything but Hangul. Try finding a translator that will give you Thai, Mien or Hmong at all.

Languages reflect culture. To speak a language well, you must understand the culture that produces it.

On the EU scale (0-5), I am a rated 4 in Thai, rated 3 in Korean, rated 4 in German, rated 3 in Spanish, rated 1 in French, rated 3 in Vietnamese, rated 2 in Mien and rated 3 in Hmong.

I may be unusual, but not as much as you think. A majority of Americans are exposed to multiple cultures and close to 50% speak at least some of a second language. Your information is out of date by over 20 years. You keep illustrating your ignorance.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ebb

Secondly, the ability to say a greeting in a few languages means absolutly shit, he could of just done that over the internet on a language converter, even if he hasn't I don't see what relevance it has. If he can speak various languages then fair play, thats all good, but he isn't America, its well documented that Americans have little knowledge of what goes on past their borders, have you ever seen American news ? Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but in an international affairs exam I bet the average American would do considerably worse than most other participants from various other developed countries.

See, I have no clue of where the americans stand in the world intelligence scale... But lets say they are in a low rank, you still know that these people don't fit that scale. You still know that these people have life experience which most of us will never get. And are very much above the category which you have put them into.

Greenhat has at several occasions shown that he knows what he is talking about, and as long as I havn't got the experience he has, then I won't criticize his knowledge from experience, for a second.
    I can doubt it, if that's what I choose. Sure. But he has also taught us all that he can prove his words... Unless like many others who just come up with random made-up facts who are similar to a roulette. Never know when the statement is similar to the truth or not.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ebb

Whats the neccessity ? Because i dare to disagree with you, you think i need the shit beating out of me ? How childish :rolleyes: Grow up.

Wake up. The necessity? To give you the opportunity to see if there is a circumstance where "blowing a man's head off" is justified. Not willing to put your principles to the test?
  • Options

See, I have no clue of where the americans stand in the world intelligence scale... But lets say they are in a low rank, you still know that these people don't fit that scale. You still know that these people have life experience which most of us will never get. And are very much above the category which you have put them into.

Greenhat has at several occasions shown that he knows what he is talking about, and as long as I havn't got the experience he has, then I won't criticize his knowledge from experience, for a second.
    I can doubt it, if that's what I choose. Sure. But he has also taught us all that he can prove his words... Unless like many others who just come up with random made-up facts who are similar to a roulette. Never know when the statement is similar to the truth or not.

Jackie, if you ever come to the US, look me up. I'd be interested in getting to know you.

Join the military, we need more intelligent human beings like you.
  • Options

Wake up. The necessity? To give you the opportunity to see if there is a circumstance where "blowing a man's head off" is justified. Not willing to put your principles to the test?

No its not justified, even after a good kicking etc.... I will just about admit that murders deserve to lose their life for their act, but I'm not willing to accept anyone who bruises someone is and I'm amazed anyone is claiming it is.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ebb

No its not justified, even after a good kicking etc.... I will just about admit that murders deserve to lose their life for their act, but I'm not willing to accept anyone who bruises someone is and I'm amazed anyone is claiming it is.

Who's talking about a good kicking? I'm talking about broken bones, ruptured organs, fractured skulls...
  • Options

Firstly, the original comment was at Americans not Greenhat so i don't really understand what the hell your rambling on about.

Secondly, the other argument was about what exactly the american trops are doing in Afghanistan, I specualted what I thought they were doing and was given a reply which amounted to 'be quiet you know nothing, your not in the military' O.K fair enough, but at the same time for his reasons he has failed to say what he believes they are doing. So at no point in that sub-argument did i make up facts, I specualted and expressed what i believe the forces are doing, he has not, I think your comment is a tad unfair, nor has anyone even given me a suggestion of why my specualtion may be complete bollocks, i stand by what i said, i believe it to be the truth.