Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

England, Gun Control, and its Crime Rate

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by MacKenZie
    It makes no sense, if one wishes to save 'innocent lives,' to say that only the 'bad guy' may strike first. Next you will be saying that the victim must wait until the bottle strikes his head before he may so much as raise an arm in defence. The doctrine of no pre-emption quickly leads to reductio ad absurdum -- as does total pre-emption, which would quite likely be driven by instinct.

Do you know that is the way it goes if you are in the United States Army. There is a rule that you cannot strike until struck three times first....because you are trained to kill....

There is some sense in it.

But I prefer not to listen. If I see a gun pointed at me, I will not wait for the trigger to be pulled for me to take action.

My guard is always up. I will not start a fight, but if I must get into one, I will.

That is the chance you take with preemptive measures. Your only hope is that people will actually use the brain God gave them and think to strike only when struck at.

I say let the drunks have their fights, but if a shot gets taken at me, make no mistake I WILL respond.

My life may depend on it.

Diesel! No fear, brother, no fear! ;)
  • Options
    Taken from the Onion, the well respected online News journal.

As the president of Brothers In Arms U.S.A., the nation's third-largest gun-rights organization, I've heard all the arguments made by the anti-gun propagandists. And of the many misguided aspects of their anti-gun rhetoric, the most off-base is this bizarre notion that guns are inherently deadly. Nothing could be further from the truth. The reality is, guns are only deadly when used for their intended purpose.
          Time and time again, the enemies of groups like Brothers In Arms U.S.A. confuse the innocuous phenomenon of guns with the handful of irresponsible people who engage in the deadly practice of gun use. Well, there is a difference, and it's high time the namby-pamby liberals recognize this fact.
          Take the letter I got from a California woman whose 15-year-old son was "killed by a gun" while walking to his after-school job. Now, come on. No one is naïve enough to think that an innocent boy died just because a gun was designed, manufactured, and sold. Even before I looked into this woman's story, I knew there had to be more that she wasn't telling me. Sure enough, newspaper clippings and police records revealed that another youth aimed his gun at this boy and pulled the trigger. This action, gun experts will tell you, caused a precision-machined steel hammer to strike the primer of a 9mm cartridge, igniting the smokeless powder within, propelling a 138-grain bullet down the pistol's barrel and into the woman's son. The gun never even came within 10 feet of the kid. The only thing the gun was guilty of was functioning properly.

Advertisement

My point? No child dies just because there is such a thing as guns. They die because one of these guns is used.
          In all my years of fighting for the cause of gun rights, not once have I ever come across a case of a gun killing a person. In every instance, the real killer has been the bullets that come out of the guns. So if you're going to insist on pointing fingers, point them at the bullet makers.
          Okay, admittedly, there is the occasional pistol-whipping victim who never regains consciousness. But that's a freakish, statistically insignificant aberration that merely proves my point: Only when guns are used as intended are they significantly dangerous to anyone.
          But try telling this to all the crybabies suing the gun companies because not everybody in their family is alive. What exactly are you suing them for—making a reliable product? That's a laugh. Somebody should be suing those shoddy import jobs: You'd be lucky to kill a baby with one of them.
          No, a gun is not deadly when it sits locked up in a collector's cabinet. Guns don't beam bad thoughts into people's heads that make them fall over dead. There is only one way guns kill, and that's if some misguided weirdo follows the rules of proper gun use and actually aims and fires the gun in accordance with the manufacturer's guidelines.
          I feel so strongly about this. As a gun activist and advocate, I feel it is my duty to speak out against this ridiculous fantasy of guns running around on tiny little legs, indiscriminately selecting pedestrians for death.
          For all the work Brothers In Arms U.S.A. has done to educate people, there remain all these misconceptions about guns being deadly. Well, so is an atom bomb... if you drop it on a city! But you've still got these hippies whining that the solution is to have no atom bombs whatsoever. Great, just punish everybody because a handful of kooks can't keep their fingers off the button.
          It's an old saying, but it's still true: "Guns don't kill people. People kill people." At least, if they've got a gun, they do.
  • Options
    Originally posted by cokephreak
    Taken from the Onion, the well respected online News journal.

Respected? By whom?

If you take a "journal" dedicated to satire, and use it as your news source, you have real issues, and they should be dealt with somewhere in private... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    jesus god, thanatos, he was being ironic. And it is well respected, anyway, because it's a brilliantly witty satirical organ that as well as being very funny often cuts to the heart of the issues more effectively than much of the mainstream media. It makes a very fair point.
  • Options
    They say the same thing about Doonesbury....what is your point?

Soooo, according to the Onion, then...we should just lock up everyone in their homes and keep any sharp or blunt object from their hands cause it may be used to hurt another human being.

For God's sakes then, get off the sidewalks, you might get run over by a car.
  • Options
    Originally posted by gi_janearng

That's what a lot say about rapes against women. *Boys will be boys*

So that makes it right huh?

You can't even begin to comprehend what females should pass off to innocent behavior.

[

I agree totally, and if the boy who just think rape and assault against what they view as a non person (thats you ladies) KNEW ahead of time that the target of their agression may just be armed and ready to use it, I think it would solve the whole problem nicely.

Lots of americans carry guns, it has nothing to do with politeness. People who carry guns legally dont go around shooting anyone. Most shootings are crimes, committed by criminals. If criminals knew the victums of their potential crimes were armed and........see above. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by kathybrn

I agree totally, and if the boy who just think rape and assault against what they view as a non person (thats you ladies) KNEW ahead of time that the target of their agression may just be armed and ready to use it, I think it would solve the whole problem nicely.

But its even more likley the rapist will be carrying a gun, then what, your back to square one with the exception people getting killed is more likely.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ebb

But its even more likley the rapist will be carrying a gun, then what, your back to square one with the exception people getting killed is more likely.

Actually, it is no more likely. Criminals can get weapons (maybe you can explain to me how the IRA gets their weapons?) regardless of the law. And your comment just indicates how little you understand the dynamics of being armed. Probably because you never have been.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ebb

No matter what in any violent crime, the possibility of someone getting killed is likely.

I'd rather have better odds to handle the situation and be it him instead of me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ebb

Rapist=Coward;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenhat

(maybe you can explain to me how the IRA gets their weapons?) .

Synpathisers in the USA usually.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere

:D

sometimes you can come up with a cracker though...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

sometimes you can come up with a cracker though...

even if I did spell it wrongly, I meant SYMPATHISERS before anyone gets pedantic about it.

• Options
    Sooo,
    what you are proposing isss that the USA is to blame for the IRA having weapons>>>>>:confused:

Thats SO ridiculous. Its FUNNY.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Sooo,
    what you are proposing isss that the USA is to blame for the IRA having weapons>>>>>:confused:

Not entirely, and not the US Govt. However, have you ever heard of NORAID?
  • Options
    Sooo,

You obviously don't know Diesel.

There are a lot of people in the USA with Irish roots. There are a lot of people in the USA with links to Sinn Fein and the republicans.

There have been numerous proven links between the IRA and wealthy supporters in the USA.
  • Options

And your comment just indicates how little you understand the dynamics of being armed. Probably because you never have been.

The dynamics of been armed mean you have the potential to kill someone, that my freind is enough to convince me its not a good idea ;)

It nice to walk the streets here and feel confident nobody is going to point a gun at you for whatever reason, I'm happy to sacrifice a slightly increased crime rate for that peace of mind.
  • Options
    Originally posted by gi_janearng

No matter what in any violent crime, the possibility of someone getting killed is likely.

Absolute bullshit.
  • Options
    If most criminals are cowards and everyone has guns, aren't they more likely to shoot first before they're shot at.

Just a thought.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ebb

Absolute bullshit.

Sorry, but how can that be bullshit? Isn't the possibility of getting killed somehow, always there? I would say especially in violent crimes.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper

Sorry, but how can that be bullshit? Isn't the possibility of getting killed somehow, always there? I would say especially in violent crimes.

Possible and likely are two different things, its not likely you will die through violent crime, possible yes. I have no statistics to back up my argument, but I'd say its likely the percentage of people who die through violent crime and hence are murdered is small. I would say with guns about the incident the chance is improved.
  • Options
    Since 1994 there has been a decrease in offences where the use of firearms was recorded, for the whole of the UK.
    In England in 1999 there were 11,000, compared to 16,000 in 1994.

The number of people murdered in 1999 was just 649. Currently you have a 1 in 12 million chance of being murdered with ANY weapon in this country. There are no specific statistics for guns however you can expect this to be much lower as gun ownership is lower than in previous years.

Source-office for national statistics.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere

RPGs? Plastique? AKs?

None of those come from the USA.

You can all crow about US support for the IRA, but it is not US support that arms the IRA.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ebb

It nice to walk the streets here and feel confident nobody is going to point a gun at you for whatever reason, I'm happy to sacrifice a slightly increased crime rate for that peace of mind.

False confidence. It's called living in a dream world. You are as likely to have a weapon pointed at you in England as in America (it is highly unlikely in both places).
  • Options

False confidence. It's called living in a dream world. You are as likely to have a weapon pointed at you in England as in America (it is highly unlikely in both places).

Allowing guns can only having negative effects on that situation, well it matters not, you have your way, we have ours :) Thankfully I live under our system I see no neccessity for guns what-so-ever.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ebb

Thankfully I live under our system I see no neccessity for guns what-so-ever.

Delusional must be an oh-so-peaceful place... :rolleyes:

Kinda like that nice, warm, wrapped-in-a-blanket sensation that I am told comes with heroin... Right?
  • Options
    Originally posted by ebb

The dynamics of been armed mean you have the potential to kill someone, that my freind is enough to convince me its not a good idea ;)

How long did it take you to think of that? Anyone has the potential to kill, but it depends on what your motives are.

I could go out and stab someone right now cause I wanted to.

That is different than stabbing someone in defense of my own life.

They don't necessarily need a gun to hurt you. Just as it is not likely that they will pull a gun on you, but possible yes.

;)
  • Options
    But you both fail to see that, if anyone person is walking down the street without a gun and gets mugged, thats it, they get mugged, its harsh, but a few bruises here and there does not warrent killing someone, which is exactley the risk if you are carrying a gun.

What about the police, if you've got a gun under a circumstance, there is a chance they'll take you out in the name of self defence.

This idea you have thats its perfectly acceptable to start blowing peoples head off at the smallest sign of trouble is ridiculous, I've no idea how you go about your lives in the USA :confused: Yet again the term trigger happy springs to mind, heart over head ;)

The bottom line is guns kill people and for that alone they should not be freely welcome in society, they serve no puropse other than to kill, the first group of people to arm themselevs would be criminals, the people intent on hurting people, it gives police another worry everytime they answer an emergency call, recentley a farmer here shot a youth dead in self defence, reagrdless if he was right or wrong to do so, had he not been armed he wouldn't be doing a long stretch behind bars.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ebb
    But you both fail to see that, if anyone person is walking down the street without a gun and gets mugged, thats it, they get mugged, its harsh, but a few bruises here and there does not warrent killing someone, which is exactley the risk if you are carrying a gun.

What about the police, if you've got a gun under a circumstance, there is a chance they'll take you out in the name of self defence.

This idea you have thats its perfectly acceptable to start blowing peoples head off at the smallest sign of trouble is ridiculous, I've no idea how you go about your lives in the USA :confused: Yet again the term trigger happy springs to mind, heart over head ;)

The bottom line is guns kill people and for that alone they should not be freely welcome in society, they serve no puropse other than to kill, the first group of people to arm themselevs would be criminals, the people intent on hurting people, it gives police another worry everytime they answer an emergency call, recentley a farmer here shot a youth dead in self defence, reagrdless if he was right or wrong to do so, had he not been armed he wouldn't be doing a long stretch behind bars.

You've never been mugged, have you? Or raped? How about assaulted with a baseball bat?

I have friends from England who have had all of those done to them, in England. It's a bit more than a few bruises.

Oh, by the way, a firearm is an inanimate object. Like a hammer. Completely incapable of doing any harm by itself.

Oh, that farmer? You're right, if he had not been armed, he wouldn't be doing a long stretch behind bars. Instead he might be doing a permanent stretch six feet under.
  • Options
    I think we've lost sight a bit of the argument.

What are we arguing about exactly? Do we have some people who advocate the use of weapons in your own home for defence, people who think we should keep them on our person, OR a total blanket ban?

I'd probably be more inclined to go with the permission to keep a firearm that can't be concealed, a rifle or small shotgun maybe in the home. I won't advocate the use of concealed firearms on the streets though.