Home Politics & Debate
At The Mix, we want to make our services as helpful as we can. To do this, we’d love to ask you a few questions about you, your visit to The Mix and its impact. It should take only about 5-10 minutes to complete. Take this survey and get a chance at winning a £200 Amazon voucher​.
Free Wednesday evening? Come along to our safeguarding co-design session from 6-7:30PM. sign up here
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

it's official...

2

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    .
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm going to post Stewart Lee again in this thread, because all discussions of political correctness need this clip:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGAOCVwLrXo
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    if this is in local government, i'd say find out who thought of it and complain about it formally being an idiotic idea

    seriously, i doubt any black person was ever offended by it



    to clarify: i hear some people from work say phrases are banned, when i ask them where did you hear it, they say newspapers - which normally lands up being the mail or express so jus give it a big lol
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I read this sort of story with a sense of incredulity. Partly because no-one ever points to any real evidence to back up claims of not being "allowed" to say something.

    Like in this thread really.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Some sheep are black.
    This is a statement of fact. It is not intended to cause offense to black sheep.
    If I described a black sheep, person, coffee or even a black bull as "black", why would that be offensive?
    Now if I deliberately used the word "black" or "blonde" or "gay" in a derogatory fashion, that would be different. Context is everything. I think we can hardly be offensive when referring to sheep, though.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hellfire wrote: »
    offensive to people who are dumb? or have no brain?

    i am guessing it is against people who have brain or neurological problems
    It's guided towards people who have Epilepsy. Because it's described scientifically as a "storm in the brain" > Brainstorm. Now even the epileptic foundations state that the word Brainstorm isn't an offensive word when used in context to mean a group of people exchanging ideas. But it's offensive when it is used to describe an epileptic seizure. (I wrote "fit" I forgot they're called seizures not fits.)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    jamelia wrote: »
    I'm going to post Stewart Lee again in this thread, because all discussions of political correctness need this clip:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGAOCVwLrXo

    :heart: i love his mother 'i cant even have a bath with a radio in it!' .. something of that ilk.

    like jimv mentioned about the epileptic organisation, it's rarely the minorities that get het up about these issues. yet by banning the word because it could 'offend' a minority allows the idiots to naturally assume that it stems from the minority and so just increases the hatred.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was told we can't say brainstorming as it's offensive to those with learning difficulties.

    *gasps* Naun, your not allowed to say learning difficulties... it's "additional needs" now!
    And also; whiteboards are called wipe-boards at my school. And yeah- we have Smart Boards, but are normally called Interactive Wipe-boards.
    And, we sing (sung) baa-baa rainbow sheep when I went to an early years class with school last week.
    And, what is a brainstorm?? I think that is what we call a "Mind map" like were you draw a "spider" and write different thoughts on all it's "legs" and the title in the middle.
    And, besides, what I don't get is how the fuck can anyone in this country say any of that is racist or whatever when we are home to a party such as BNP?

    Lolz this thread has cheered me up :lol:
    Now, where did I put my brainstorm about sheeps and whiteboards?
    Xx
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    In the city, Chinese walls are now meant to be referred to as information barriers, even though most people ignore that.

    Brainstorms are now called idea storms or some such nonsense, partly because apparently brainstorming conjurs up images of mental illness.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Is there no end to this madness? I was chastised a few years ago by one of my supervisors for asking a customer whether they wanted a black coffee. Apparently, I'm supposed to just ask "would you like milk with your coffee?". The man I was serving was black, and he didn't seem remotely bothered. I just laughed at the daft bint's stupidity.

    These sorts of stories just make me want to be deliberately offensive for the hell of it - namely to the pricks who come up with these ideas. Who seriously decides whether this shit is offensive?

    I think calling someone a "stupid bint" is racist and offensive, thanks.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    katralla wrote: »
    I think calling someone a "stupid bint" is racist and offensive, thanks.

    How's that racist? I'd question it being offensive also...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Because it's a racial term being used as a generalised slur - the same way it isn't ok to call someone a 'theiving gypo', it isn't ok to call someone a stupid bint. In fact, not only is it racist but it has a compounded gender prejudice against women too. Fucking rude if you ask me. Oh the irony for it to have been used in a thread about people joking about political correctness gone mad. I think we've all agreed that taking the colour out of nursery rhymes is not meaningful, but direct racial insults? That's just bang out of order.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    katralla wrote: »
    Because it's a racial term being used as a generalised slur - the same way it isn't ok to call someone a 'theiving gypo', it isn't ok to call someone a stupid bint. In fact, not only is it racist but it has a compounded gender prejudice against women too. Fucking rude if you ask me. Oh the irony for it to have been used in a thread about people joking about political correctness gone mad. I think we've all agreed that taking the colour out of nursery rhymes is not meaningful, but direct racial insults? That's just bang out of order.

    Which part of the term is racial? "stupid" or "bint"? Neither, I reckon.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    bint.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    bint.

    Why?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Maybe there's a lot of 'bint' blindness, maybe I'm hyper-aware? I did spend one summer with a girl who was yelled 'bint' at by a group of lads every time we crossed their paths so, for me, it's obvious.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    katralla wrote: »
    Maybe there's a lot of 'bint' blindness, maybe I'm hyper-aware? I did spend one summer with a girl who was yelled 'bint' at by a group of lads every time we crossed their paths so, for me, it's obvious.

    Yes - my friends and I used to use 'bint' a lot to each other and although I knew it could be insulting (though never meant it in that way to my friends obviously) and knew it had come from the Arabic for 'daughter', I didn't know it had racist connotations until today.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I wasn't aware that bint is a racial slur and when I used it in the past, it was without any overtones of race.

    Learn something every day I guess.

    Still won't stop me using it though.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    But why not though? You're an intelligent person with a broad vocabulary range, who does it hurts no one to adjust your use of a word but it's use could hurt? Is this where the line is drawn between what is reasonable and what is 'political correctness gone mad'?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I wasn't aware that bint is a racial slur and when I used it in the past, it was without any overtones of race.

    Learn something every day I guess.

    Still won't stop me using it though.

    It isn't a racial slur. And it's a pretty far stretch, with some serious eye-squinting, to even start thinking it is.

    Dictionary definition:

    BRIT., SLANG a girl or woman: usually a term of contempt

    No racial connotations there.

    The etymology will get you as far as British solider bastardising Egyptian Arabic.

    This is a classic case of someone going out of their way to be offended.

    Edit: Doug get's it right, as usual: http://www.ebaumsworld.com/audio/play/1071373
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I could find a dictionary definition for faggot that is like a giant meatball, doesn't mean it can't be an offensive tern too.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Offensive, yes - and I think we'd all probably agree that bint can also be used in an offensive way (i.e. to mean a stupid or silly woman). But I think the point is that most of us were completely unaware that bint can be used as a racial slur as well, which suggests that perhaps its usage in this way is rare.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I find it a dodge to say that you don't see it used in a racist way, therefore it is not. That's a bit like an arguement that is made over the use of the word 'gay' to mean rubbish, which I also disagree with. Some people say they use it to mean rubbish and therefore gay people shouldn't be offended because it is not intended in that way.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    katralla wrote: »
    I could find a dictionary definition for faggot that is like a giant meatball, doesn't mean it can't be an offensive tern too.

    I'm sure you could (though incidentally I could only find one dictionary defintion for 'bint'). And if you search the history of the word 'faggot' it's been a pejorative term applied to many groups of people over the years, but I'm sure you're not up in arms over the offence old women might take to its use.

    This indignation over the word ‘bint’ is symptomatic of a larger issue. I’ve little time for the Language Police. I’ve less time for people claiming to be offended over my use of language. Words are just that: a word is just a label – a way of expressing a sentiment, concept or idea. If I’m being derogatory toward a gay person, and I use the word ‘faggot’, the words I chose aren’t really of any importance, it’s my sentiment that’s the issue. Whether Nick Griffin chooses to use the phrase ‘Johnny foreigner’ or ‘not ethnically British’ is incidental; it’s his sentiment that we take should issue with.

    Some angry, pissed black fella accosted me a couple of weekends back with the opening words “you look like some middle-class teacher”. Now what precisely he was angry about I don’t know, – he banged on, for ages, largely incoherently, and ended his tirade by calling me a Nazi – but it wasn’t his language that got my back up, it was his sentiment. He should have started with “you look like some sort of white cunt”, because that’s what he meant, but decided to, initially at least, dress-down his language. I wasn’t offended by him calling me a “middle-class teacher” or even a “nazi” – what was upsetting was his mindset.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    katralla wrote: »
    I find it a dodge to say that you don't see it used in a racist way, therefore it is not. That's a bit like an arguement that is made over the use of the word 'gay' to mean rubbish, which I also disagree with. Some people say they use it to mean rubbish and therefore gay people shouldn't be offended because it is not intended in that way.

    Language evolves.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I agree that language evolves, I disagree on what is offensive and what is offensive to the point that we should go out of our way not to do it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    katralla wrote: »
    But why not though? You're an intelligent person with a broad vocabulary range, who does it hurts no one to adjust your use of a word but it's use could hurt? Is this where the line is drawn between what is reasonable and what is 'political correctness gone mad'?

    Arse kisser.

    Seriously though, it's freedom of speech and freedom to say what the bloody hell I like, no matter how offensive it is to people. Simple as.

    Am I to limit my vocabulary because someone, somewhere might find it offensive? I use plenty of offensive words, some of which may be construed as bigoted, racist, intolerant, elitist or whatever. Whilst I also possess the faculty of tact so may temper my language the situation demands it, but I am all for people using whatever words they want. If they get their face filled in, then that's their problem, but you can't "ban" the use of a word.

    The fact of the matter is, almost every single word can be construed as offensive to someone. I resent being called posh by people who presuppose a lot about my background because of the way I speak and because of my upbringing. Does it cause mild offence? A little, but largely water off a duck's back. Do I propose stopping people from saying it? No.

    If I offend people through what I say, I deal with the consequences. I do not need someone to try and dictate to me what I can and cannot say lest it offend someone.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't really take issue with that, I understand that you acknowledge that offense might be taken by what you say or do at any time but the ones you don't consider important aren't important to you. I have more of an issue with someone denying that the offense exists, suggesting that people 'go out of their way to find offense'. I also find it interesting that this theory can be stood by whilst completely disregarding the evidence of lived experience.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Arse kisser.

    Well, I did used to have a cyber crush on you, prompty replaced by one for Klintock though, ha ha.
Sign In or Register to comment.