Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Buddhism

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
How do i become a buddhist?

Pray tell.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    slay a pig and walk backwards 10 paces!
    Go to Thailand and be blessed by a monk.

Failing that. Er...
    muse- wrote:

Really? Can i eat it after?
    You'll probably find the answer on either:
    - Ask jeeves
    - Some sort of Buddhism FAQ site
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    muse- wrote:
    She said "buddhist" not "butcher".
    Try visiting your nearest Buddist centre or temple.

I went to the London Buddist Centre once and went for meditation. It was nice and you get to meet lots of Buddists that you can ask your questions to.

I have since because a Christian though.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I have since because a Christian though.

Can't have been that good then......

:p
    JsT wrote:
    Can't have been that good then......

:p
    Well I read some stuff about Buddism afterwards and I feel like I am better educated in Buddist beliefs but I found some aspects too hard to believe and the more I learnt about Christianity the more sense the Jesus thing made...
    Try a book called 'Buddhism without Beliefs' by Stephen Batchelor.
    LacyMay wrote:
    if you like

good luck trying to eat it from 10 paces away though
    Most of the ones I know just start calling themselves Buddhists, just like the christians. It's a title you can choose and give yourself. If you want it, have it. there aren't any qualifying exams...
    LacyMay wrote:

Pray tell.
    What Katralla said.

It's all about how much of yourself you want to give. Nobody is going to ask you to shave your head and wear robes and give up sex.

There are several Buddhist resources online from Kadumpa(spl?) to the FWBO, Tibetan Buddhism, Mahayana, Therevada and even folk Buddhism. It is a philosophy for life, not a religion.
    LacyMay wrote:

I'm sure true Buddists don't eat meat at all
    I think you might be confusing "true Buddhists" with "strict Buddhists"

but about the origional topic. From what I understand of Buddhism all you have to do to be Buddhist is decide that you believe in Buddhist doctrin. Eight fold path the enlightenment and all that stuff.
    You have to be quoted in Bong's signature. Or at least get the go ahead from him.
    LacyMay wrote:

Pray tell.

you just decide you are doing to practice buddhism. its not a proper religion, its more a philosophy. it doesn't believe in a god or places to worship or anything so there isn't a set method for becoming one. you commit yourself to a set of moral principals and live your life according to those - its that simple. and there are lots of good books on the subject, so try and read some of those. :yes:
    Yes they do, it just depends on the denomination of Buddhism. Western lay Buddhists often tend to be vegetarian. With the Kadampa & FWBO (in my experience of them) they teach the principle of non-violence and thus vegetarianism... However, a large part of non-violence is intent.

Looking at societies such as Tibet, meat was needed because the land is less arable and because the location of settlements, towns and cities was difficult to transport goods from. However, even these people were highly religious and blessed the animal before they killed it so it could have a better rebirth. Yet at the same time, otherwise they believed profoundly in living peacefully and would even try to rescue a fly if it falls in their tea (making a broad generalisation... But if ya get the feel).

If you want to become Buddhist, then go to Buddhist classes, buy books, research online and decide how much you want to commit. Buddhism can sound really fucking complicated if you look very deeply in to it, yet at the same time it is quite a free and simple way to live, depending on how you interpret it.