Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

annoying little thing...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've never heard of this phrase 'could care less' ?? I've heard 'I couldn't care less' .... is it a recent thing?
  • Options
    skakitty wrote: »
    I've never heard of this phrase 'could care less' ?? I've heard 'I couldn't care less' .... is it a recent thing?

No, it's an Americanism.
  • Options
    like 'i could care less....but i like caring a lot, so i won't' LOL
  • Options
    The english laugage students we seem to be over-run with in my area at the moment. They need to learn a few bus-ettiquete tips
    - Dont sit in the prioty seating and continue to sit on them when some little old lady is standing up.
    - Dont scream at each other, you might not appreciate you hearing, but I do.
    - Dont stand up on the top deck, or stand/sit in the stair well if there is no seats upstairs, because your a fucking idiot.
    - (and this one is for everyone) Dont stand by the driver when there is plenty of standing space up the bus, it makes it very hard for people to get on and off the bus if you cant even be arsed to move slighty out of the way at stops.
  • Options
    40 mile an hour drivers... the sort who drive at 40 whether they are in a 30 limit or in a 60 limit. It doesn't matter whether they are in front or behind me, both scenarios piss me off as you're either stuck behind them (normally when you can't overtake) or they are right up your arse through 30 limits.
    Bane of my life these bastards, they really are. I came across one this morning who started hitting the brakes the moment her car was doing more than 45mph. She didn't seem to have a clue what the white line in the middle of the road was about either. I eventually lost my patience, waited for a straight stretch of road and started overtaking. Just as I was getting into the other lane, what does she do? She weaves to the middle of the road for no reason whatsoever blocking me from getting past. I have to slam on the brakes to make sure I don't crash into her. Evil bitch.
  • Options
    People who say 'like' about 4 times per sentence. Because you like start like unconsciously picking it up off them and like start saying it yourself and realise you now sound like a stupid like idiot.
  • Options
    People who say 'like' about 4 times per sentence. Because you like start like unconsciously picking it up off them and like start saying it yourself and realise you now sound like a stupid like idiot.

I know what you mean like I know like people that like totally like do that and it can like get really annoying sometimes. :p

also people that when talking say LOL and OMG. I don't mind CBA that much but why say LOL?
  • Options
    People who stand too close to you in queues. Standing close to me doesn't make the queue go down any quicker, and, fat man, I don't like feeling your belly pressing into my back.
  • Options
    - Dont sit in the prioty seating and continue to sit on them when some little old lady is standing up.

Do you actually know whether the students themselves aren't disabled? I am, but don't look it.
  • Options
    People who stand too close to you in queues. Standing close to me doesn't make the queue go down any quicker, and, fat man, I don't like feeling your belly pressing into my back.

Ah now I tend to do that (without the belly....) if the person in front of me is next to be served but they haven't moved closer as the queue has gone down. Normally if they're about 6 feet away from being served I'll stand a little close to them, it never fails to move them forward a bit ;)

That reminds me, people who spend ages at the cashpoint :mad:
  • Options
    Australians
  • Options
    That's true - saying we all pronounce "Can't" that way assumes we all speak with middle class or estuary english accents.

I certainly don't have a middle class or estuary accent - everyone British I know says it like that - I guess Scottish people wouldn't.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    I certainly don't have a middle class or estuary accent - everyone British I know says it like that - I guess Scottish people wouldn't.

Sometimes it sounds like I am saying can when I am actually saying can't, it's generally when I am speaking fast. Actually alot of people I know do the same too!
  • Options
    - People who get in the lift and go to the first floor.

- People who don't know or understand tube ettiquete when I'm in a rush (ie standing on the wrong side of the escalator at Kings Cross tube station/looking for their ticket/oyster card at the barriers causing a massive backlog of angry Londoners. grrrr)

-Supermarket cashiers who chuck my food through the till, not giving me a chance to pack my food and then demand my money while i'm trying to catch up.

- People who when I say I'm mixed race tell me I'm not. How the bloody hell would you know?! There is more than one kind of mixed race!
  • Options
    People that lie so much they end up tripping themselves up. A girl in my year said she fractured both arms in 3 places (she had a normal bandage on)...i then watched her do a cartwheel.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    People (usually above 60-70, but some at around 40 too) who start discussing how horrible today's society/young people/music/whatever is/are compared to "their" times with a stranger they just met.
  • Options
    People who post the same thread in 3/4 boards (on the same forum) to try and get an answer. Am tempted to say something rather harsh but possibly true, but may get warned for it.
  • Options
    I did mention that somewhere else on these boards, and got a stern looking at by a few members. :yippe:
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    and got a stern looking at by a few members. :yippe:

I usually get a warm inner glow from these posts of yours. Like pissing yourself in a dark suit. You feel all warm but no one notices.
  • Options
    People who have no self awareness. If I'm at work carrying a VERY heavy tray, people feel it necessary to dawdle going in the door, stand in the middle of the shop rather than to the side to look at the menu, completely obvlivious to everyone else in the world other than themselves.
    Also those who queue up with absolutely no idea hat they'd like to order, holding up the rest of the customers.
  • Options
    It's not so much the lack of a "t" than the fact that Americans say the two words with the same vowel sound - when Brits say can and can't, the "a" sounds different. Can sounds like the a in Hat and Can't sounds like the a in Aunt.

I pronouce Aunt ant. :p

I haven't either. I always say 'couldn't'.

Another thing that annoys me is when I serve people at work and ask if they need a bag and they say yes, then put the bagged item inside another bag... :eek2: No you don't F-ing need a bag!!!!
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote: »
    I pronouce Aunt ant. :p

Ha ha me too, I always think it's the posh people who say aunt.
  • Options

Another thing that annoys me is when I serve people at work and ask if they need a bag and they say yes, then put the bagged item inside another bag... :eek2: No you don't F-ing need a bag!!!!

i hate that too, i just generally get annoyed when people waste bags. like they buy a sandwich and insist on having a bag for it, or just a loaf of bread. or today this young couple insisted on double bagging everything even though the contents werent that heavy and they were only taking them to their car. i wish we charged for carrier bags then it'd make people think twice about how many they used.
  • Options

same, i thought it was "could i care less?" or "couldn't care less."
  • Options

I will never understand this. Very rarely now will I get asked if I want a bag. (normally don't need one)

People who feel the need to belittle people who they don't have a clue about.
  • Options
    People that lie so much they end up tripping themselves up.

:yes:

My sister in law had a flatmate who reckoned she was in a band. When pressed, she reckoned it was the Moldy Peaches, who were pretty obscure before Juno came out. Such a shame that we're all big fans of the Moldy Peaches :lol:
  • Options

I wouldn't know, I'm not scottish :confused:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    :yes:

My sister in law had a flatmate who reckoned she was in a band. When pressed, she reckoned it was the Moldy Peaches, who were pretty obscure before Juno came out. Such a shame that we're all big fans of the Moldy Peaches :lol:

Oooooh I remember them! I saw them at Reading in 2001, with all these lovely bands (remember them? I've still got an album by MHS and singles by King Adora!)

AMEN
    Moldy Peaches
    The Strokes
    King Adora
    My Vitriol
    Lowgold
    Mark B & Blade
    Blink 182
    BS 2000
    South
    Cosmic Rough Riders
    Turin Brakes
    Mull Historical Society
    Crackout
    Easy World
    Brave Captain
    Folk Implosion
    Elbow
    Grand Theft Audio
    Sunna
    Feeder
    Copasetic
    Creed
    The Living End
    D-12 (Eminem's side project)
  • Options
    Another thing that annoys me is toothbrushes... it takes sooooooo long to find a normal bog standard toothbrush now!!! Why do I need little round plastic bits to polish my teeth while I clean them? Why do I need 15 different lengths of bristle on one toothbrush? Why do I need a brush that bends when you touch it? Or one that sandpapers the tongue as you brush?

I just want a normal toothbrush!!! They've served me well for 21 years, nothing has changed!!!

Feeling a bit wound up. lol
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Speaking of toothbrushes, these things don't annoy me.
    What does annoy me is that it seems to have become almost impossible to find a "soft" one. Almost every kind I see is either "medium" or "hard"!