Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

annoying little thing...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
No I'm not talking about the french, I'm asking what small insignificant things annoy you but really they shouldn't?

For me it's when people refer to Britain and England and British as English.

Comments

• Options
    I would have to whole-heartedly agree with you there.

Also when people refer to England as an island. It's as much an island as Switzerland is...
  • Options
    mine would have to be people looking over your shoulder to see what your doing. drives me mad!
  • Options
    People that either walk rrrrrrrreaaaaaaaaaallly slowly infront of you, or who stop infront of you... Or people who stop in doorways... People who block other peoples routes basically. Move out the F-ing way!!!!!!!!!!!

On the England/Britain topic... I was literally banging my head on a table the other day cos I was sat talking with 4 other friends and 3 of them couldn't get into their heads that the Scottish are as much British as the English are... For some reason they kept saying 'no, they're Scottish, we're British'... Noooooo, they're Scottish and they're British, we're English and we're British... Only one person got what I was saying. :banghead:
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote: »
    People that either walk rrrrrrrreaaaaaaaaaallly slowly infront of you, or who stop infront of you... Or people who stop in doorways... People who block other peoples routes basically. Move out the F-ing way!!!!!!!!!!!

GAAAAHHH!!! I know what you mean! There they are, strolling around without a care in the world and im trying to get my lunch and everything in my half hour break from work! I never, ever just stop suddenly on a busy street without looking behind me first :mad:
  • Options
    Or when you stop moving through some form of crowd, to let someone through as you need to go into the gap created by the people you are letting past, then someone pushes in, and blocks the whole thing up.
  • Options

I agree. I usually have to walk on the road (which I hate) because people do this and won't move when asked.
  • Options
    Old ladies getting off trains. Why, Praise Be, do they ALWAYS have to stop on the platform precisely four inches from the door? Move or I'll kick your calves.

That, and fat people who don't understand that letting everyone off the tube before trying to waddle on makes everything faster for everyone.
  • Options
    How about when you're about to walk through a door and there's someone in front of you, he/she stops to let some other person come out, only that person waits to let the one in front of you go in first and they're both standing there saying "you first" "no YOU first" "No come on, I insist" etc etc :mad:

I just elbow my way through and say "Tell you what guys, I'll go first".
  • Options
    People that either walk rrrrrrrreaaaaaaaaaallly slowly infront of you, or who stop infront of you

i hate that. People at schhol always do it! I'm like, seriously guys speed kills.
  • Options
    The fact that when it rains I need to go out. When I don't need to go out, it doesn't rain.
  • Options
    supermarket shopping. too many people getting in the way. too many screaming children.
  • Options
    The way Americans say "can" and "can't" so they sound identical and I really struggle to make out what they are talking about. British accents rule.
  • Options
    People who can't even say thanks for holding a door open for them.

People who think the middle of the aisle in a supermarket is a good place to stop and have a chat.

People who think that because they're disbaled/old/frail/a cunt have the right to be served first/be an obnoxious shit.

People who need a plastic when all they buy is a newspaper.

Sales assistants at the '5 items or less' till who keep serving people with more than that when there's a queue 20+ people long.
  • Options
    People who complain about every tiny thing ....

;)

I have to admit, I'm a BIG pavement rager. There should be a minimum speed limit for pedestrians in all shopping centres and thoroughfares.
  • Options
    Horatio Cane.

but he's dead. yea!
  • Options
    Ooooh another one...

guys that make stuff up like 'ooh i'm really ill' because they don't want to see you, or their girlfriend is over...but they somehow are unable to tell me this (?) srsly.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    The way Americans say "can" and "can't" so they sound identical and I really struggle to make out what they are talking about. British accents rule.

I say "T" I've not heard the accent that doesn't. I hate the british (I can generalize too) who put an "R" in everything or cannot say "TH" :p

(though I Joke ;))
  • Options
    I say "T" I've not heard the accent that doesn't. I hate the british (I can generalize too) who put an "R" in everything or cannot say "TH" :p

(though I Joke ;))

It's not so much the lack of a "t" than the fact that Americans say the two words with the same vowel sound - when Brits say can and can't, the "a" sounds different. Can sounds like the a in Hat and Can't sounds like the a in Aunt.
  • Options
    People who use the phrase "could care less" when they mean they don't care at all.

IT MAKES NO SENSE PEOPLE.
  • Options
    John Cleese belittles the yanks the best with this.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCUsPnKD1gk
  • Options

Yes yes! For me also people not putting discs back in their cases, and not putting them back alphabetically i.e. in the order I already have them in!

Also when people say "ting" instead of "thing".....WHY??? :banghead:
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    It's not so much the lack of a "t" than the fact that Americans say the two words with the same vowel sound - when Brits say can and can't, the "a" sounds different. Can sounds like the a in Hat and Can't sounds like the a in Aunt.

I think it depends where you are from. Where i live the "a" sounds the same.
  • Options
    That's true - saying we all pronounce "Can't" that way assumes we all speak with middle class or estuary english accents.
  • Options
    Goodness, there are allsorts...

40 mile an hour drivers... the sort who drive at 40 whether they are in a 30 limit or in a 60 limit. It doesn't matter whether they are in front or behind me, both scenarios piss me off as you're either stuck behind them (normally when you can't overtake) or they are right up your arse through 30 limits. Grr :mad:
  • Options
    the people stopping does my head in too.

people who queue up in shops (usually women i may add) and get to the counter and its some sort of surprise that they are going to have to pay for something and spend the next 5 minutes fiddling in their bag trying to find purse etc...does my head in...you've been queued 10mins! be fucking ready

people who refuse to be pro-active when waiting to be served at a bar, altho it would be a fabulous world if people got served in order but the truth is most bar people will serve pro-active people first, whether deliberately or not, i used to work on a bar.

people who reply on forums with simply "this", whats the point. get a grip.

Im getting wound up just thinking about some of these things so i'll stop now.
  • Options
    People using americanisms when we've got our own perfectly fine expressions, like when people say "cell phone" or when they pronounce data as 'darta' :mad: :mad:
  • Options
    "cell phone"

But that's what they are, phones that use cells. Any phone is mobile, you just need a longer lead :D
  • Options
    haha i was just gonna put the same...to be fair the yanks are probably more accurate with the name on this one...i have a mobile phone in my house, but if i was to take it outside it wouldnt work and i'd look like a prize pilchard
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Whingers. :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I didn't say they're not "cell phones", I said we have our own perfectly fine version - mobile phones. People only usually say 'cell' to be pretentious.