Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

McCain

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Quite why anyone would want to lend their support to that bunch of (mostly) ultrafundamentlist scumbags is frankly beyond me.

As I've already said, being a Republican doesn't make you an ultrafundamentalist scumbag, party politics doesn't work that way in America. Can't you remember there being a whole big debate whether McCain would get the religious right vote because he wasn't seen as hard enough? Yes, if you're a Republican or Democrat you abscribe to some loose sort of ideologies but that's it. There is no real party Whip in Congress where everyone is expected to tow the line. I remember reading somewhere that a Texan Democrat voted with Republicans 80% of the time in Congress.
  • Options
    IIRC, every single one of the 8 Republican candidates was or claimed to be a Creationist.

While that in itself doesn't make a person a scumbag, they can certainly be described as fundamentalists.

But it is also true that the great majority of Republicans appear to tick all the wrong boxes: full-on warmongers who still claim it was right to invade Iraq and deny the US government didn't lie through its teeth to sell the Iraq war to the public; avid hawks itching to attack Iran or give Israel its full blessing to do so on its behalf; anti-abortion fanatics bent on curbing abortion rights even further if not outright removing them; climate change flat-earthers who still claim there is no such thing as man-made global warming and who will continue to be as polluting as they please; imperialistic idiots bent on tearing up every last non-proliferation treaty and starting a new nuclear arms race thanks to their stupid missile shield... etc etc etc.

Anyone who subscribes to all or most of the above can safely be described as a scumbag IMO. And disturbingly high numbers of Republicans, both the politicians and the voters, subscribe to all of the above.

That is why anyone with a trace of humanity, justice and rationality in them should deplore that nauseating party for as long as it continues upholding such beliefs.
  • Options
    http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/

Obama has a 95.8% chance of winning. Very clever stuff :)
  • Options
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/arianna-huffington/mccains-losing-strategy-d_b_135109.html

McCain's Losing Strategy: Double Down on the Anger

tiiiimes are changin!
  • Options
    That is why anyone with a trace of humanity, justice and rationality in them should deplore that nauseating party for as long as it continues upholding such beliefs.
    If the Republican Party suddenly turned into a bunch of "cheese eating surrender monkeys", the infamous quote given by Donald Rumsfeld a few years ago to describe the French, you'd be the first to say "oh, they're still the same nasty fuckers as they always were". You use the same tactic with the Tories here and you'd do the same there. Admit it.
  • Options
    Not all all. I don't care for names, only for what they stand for.

At present the Republicans stand for pretty much everything that is wrong with the human race. They don't have a single redeeming quality. All they believe in is hatred, selfishness, greed, distrust, close-mindness and intolerance.

What's to like about such lot? Do indulge me...
  • Options
    All they believe in is hatred, selfishness, greed, distrust, close-mindness and intolerance.

Just imagine you're at a rally; raise your voice, turn on those patriotic tones and say proudly, "We believe in hatred, selfishness, GREED, distrust, closed-mindedness..." (Wait for the cheers to calm down) "...and intolerance." Then take a bow, sir. Throw in that monkey quote from Donald 'The Wit' Rumsfeld at the end.

At this stage the voters know you can pretty much boil this down to good vs evil, and ironically you can never tell which way a country will go when faced with a choice that blindingly obvious...
  • Options
    Just imagine you're at a rally; raise your voice, turn on those patriotic tones and say proudly, "We believe in hatred, selfishness, GREED, distrust, closed-mindedness..." (Wait for the cheers to calm down) "...and intolerance." Then take a bow, sir. Throw in that monkey quote from Donald 'The Wit' Rumsfeld at the end.

At this stage the voters know you can pretty much boil this down to good vs evil, and ironically you can never tell which way a country will go when faced with a choice that blindingly obvious...

Take a chill pill, McCain has never advocated any of that bollockes. Palin on the other hand...
  • Options
    I see McCain's name and i think of chips.
  • Options
    Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Palin on the other hand...

Aside from the intolerance and racism in this clip, the ignorance is shocking.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Take a chill pill, McCain has never advocated any of that bollockes. Palin on the other hand...
    Palin and the Republican Party on the whole.

McCain could have said they're not going to persecute homosexual rights any more; that his government will not continue to try to limit abortion rights further, if not get rid of them altogether; that the previous administration was wrong when it defied international law and started a war for no good reason; that the hated missile shield will not be developed; that there is such thing as man-made global warming and it makes perfect sense to cut on CO2 emissions... etc etc.

Now, there is a possibility that McCain really is a moderate, rational person (he kind of came across that way before the pre-election started) but the fact remains that the official or officious policy of the Republican Party is all of those things, and he has not sought to separate himself from any of them.

I'd rather not take the risk to assume that he really is a moderate and that he will go against the grain of the great majority of his party. There is far too much nastiness and nauseating polices around them.
  • Options
    Saeed M wrote: »
    Aside from the intolerance and racism in this clip, the ignorance is shocking.

Welcome to America's bible belt, where the truth never gets in the way of a good witch hunt.

I mean one guy thinks he's RELATED to terrorists. Morons. I wish Thanatos was still here, I'm sure his input would be interesting lmao.
  • Options
    Not all all. I don't care for names, only for what they stand for.

At present the Republicans stand for pretty much everything that is wrong with the human race. They don't have a single redeeming quality. All they believe in is hatred, selfishness, greed, distrust, close-mindness and intolerance.

Yes, but that really is a relatively recent thing, Bush has really annoyed a lot of traditional Republican voters.

Their general principles are that government should be small, taxes low and society generally meritocratic. When you look at the Libertarian end of the party they would agree with you about many issues.

In many ways Bush has been a terrible Republican, he's almost more of a Third Way candidate, except with a strong interventionist policy.
  • Options
    Palin and the Republican Party on the whole.

McCain could have said they're not going to persecute homosexual rights any more; that his government will not continue to try to limit abortion rights further, if not get rid of them altogether; that the previous administration was wrong when it defied international law and started a war for no good reason; that the hated missile shield will not be developed; that there is such thing as man-made global warming and it makes perfect sense to cut on CO2 emissions... etc etc.

Now, there is a possibility that McCain really is a moderate, rational person (he kind of came across that way before the pre-election started) but the fact remains that the official or officious policy of the Republican Party is all of those things, and he has not sought to separate himself from any of them.

I'd rather not take the risk to assume that he really is a moderate and that he will go against the grain of the great majority of his party. There is far too much nastiness and nauseating polices around them.

Did you see him bashing obama in the second presidential debate about being 'pro abortion'? It was really quite eye opening to how fundamentalist he is - before he had portrayed himself as a relatively progressive conservative; sticking to family values but open to change for the better.

It's good that he's exposed the real McCain though so people know what they're really getting.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    In many ways Bush has been a terrible Republican, he's almost more of a Third Way candidate, except with a strong interventionist policy.

Even though he started as an isolationist - the big concerns by many European policy makers when he came into power was that he'd reduce US committment to NATO.
  • Options
    84CF02ED0F6E4CDAFA8462AE4CD6B.jpg

Captions, anyone? Seeing as it's Friday, like...
  • Options

As Obama and McCain return from the restroom, McCain indicates to Palin that its true what they say about Black men.
  • Options
    My God, not another mysognistic photo of Sarah Palin
  • Options
    evolution_da.jpg

:D

And, involving a creationist, it works at several levels. :)
  • Options
    Listen to this. Hilarious.
  • Options
    Although not quite as hilarious as Joe the plumber. :lol:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit

I can't look at that and not laugh :lol:

Any explanations?
  • Options
    On what planet is earning over $250,000 struggling? And Obama isnt even asking for that much more of earnings over that much, he wants (as I understand it) 39% rather than 37%.

Tax cuts should always come from the bottom up, its the same here, instead of removing the 10% tax band they should have put up the amount you can earn tax free.

Trickle down does not work!

My biggest fear is that I am begining to hope, I have been fighting against it for a while but I am begining to feel like a Obama victory might be possible. The polls arent anywhere near as close as people think, apparently when you ask people when the interviewer doesnt know who they are they are more likely to vote McCain, its just face to face they dont want to appear racist.
  • Options
    Similar to the videos that sprung up 4 and 8 years ago all these little clips prove is that some people are morons, regardless of allegiance. It says nothing about Republicans and nothing about Democrats.

If you repeat the same thing in this country you'd get a similar response I imagine. You go out with a camera and a microphone to any town in Britain and I guarantee you'll get some ridiculous soundbites (and can edit out anything sensible that's said).

They are, however, hilarious viewing :)
  • Options
    Found this video online - very interesting - 1 hour interview with Obama speaking at Google HQ

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=m4yVlPqeZwo
  • Options
    product-5339209.jpg
  • Options
    Bush's former Secretary of State... Colin Powell has endorsed Obama! :D The way McCain's campaign has turned out and the inclusion of Sarah Palin puts moderate Republicans in a tricky position... good on Colin Powell for speaking out, it would have been easier for him to just stay quiet - like a lot of other moderate Republicans who I suspect aren't too enthusiastic about McCain-Palin. Arnie interestingly has been very quiet...
  • Options
    Bush's former Secretary of State... Colin Powell has endorsed Obama! :D The way McCain's campaign has turned out and the inclusion of Sarah Palin puts moderate Republicans in a tricky position... good on Colin Powell for speaking out, it would have been easier for him to just stay quiet - like a lot of other moderate Republicans who I suspect aren't too enthusiastic about McCain-Palin. Arnie interestingly has been very quiet...

It's a big blow for McCain - not only the endorsement in itself, but that it makes another day of postive headlines for Obama.
  • Options
    It's a big blow for McCain - not only the endorsement in itself, but that it makes another day of postive headlines for Obama.

Definitely... the endorsement itself I think is a pretty damning assessment of McCain's campaign. A Republican - Bush's fmr secretary of a State won't support a moderate and bipartisan member of his own party... because well, McCain's campaign has went so far away from what McCain once was. Hmm it's too early to say if McCain swinging to the right will prove to have been a terrible mistake - cos he still might win this thing but I really don't think he needed to pander to the right of his party to such an extent. Sarah Palin might excite the hardcore Republican right but she alienates just about everybody else - she brings more votes in Texas but loses votes in swing states, and was McCain ever going to lose states like TX anyway?

Meh. I'm fed up of the endless speculation and analysis... I can't stand the waiting: bring on November 4th! :p
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    My biggest fear is that I am begining to hope, I have been fighting against it for a while but I am begining to feel like a Obama victory might be possible. The polls arent anywhere near as close as people think, apparently when you ask people when the interviewer doesnt know who they are they are more likely to vote McCain, its just face to face they dont want to appear racist.
    Run that by me again. Surely that would mean the result would be closer than the polls? When people are asked, they are more likely to say Obama to appear not to be racist (or in fact, not conservative - apparently that's a recorded trend too), but then are more likely to vote McCain. So surely between the polls and the actual vote, the gap will tighten?