Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

McCain

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Run that by me again. Surely that would mean the result would be closer than the polls? When people are asked, they are more likely to say Obama to appear not to be racist (or in fact, not conservative - apparently that's a recorded trend too), but then are more likely to vote McCain. So surely between the polls and the actual vote, the gap will tighten?

I know, I explained it badly. Basically what I fear is that at the moment people dont want to appear racist by saying they are scared of Obama, but when they are in the voting booth its a different matter.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    I know, I explained it badly. Basically what I fear is that at the moment people dont want to appear racist by saying they are scared of Obama, but when they are in the voting booth its a different matter.

To be honest I don't think race will swing it that much (though people may say they'll vote for Obama and then swing to McCain for other reasons). The old Dixie Democrats are a dying force, most swung to the Republicans in the 80s and the remaining hard-line racists who wouldn't for a Black Man, aren't likely to be voting Democrat anyway.
  • Options
    Bush's former Secretary of State... Colin Powell has endorsed Obama! :D The way McCain's campaign has turned out and the inclusion of Sarah Palin puts moderate Republicans in a tricky position... good on Colin Powell for speaking out, it would have been easier for him to just stay quiet - like a lot of other moderate Republicans who I suspect aren't too enthusiastic about McCain-Palin. Arnie interestingly has been very quiet...

Would you want the support of a man who knowingly lied to the world (not to mention the consequences thereof) ?

Perhaps that is a plus in the world of politics.
  • Options
    1. Don't pay too much attention to the polls. In the UK, the Tories were struggling in the polls before the 1992 general election. Everyone assumed Labour was on course for a fairly large victory. What happened? The Tories were returned to power, and another Labour leader bit the dust. A similar sitaution appears to be developing in the USA right now.

2. The clip from the Al-Qaeda, sorry I mean Al-Jazeera network that Saeed M referred to earlier proves absolutely nothing. Even BBC News would cringe at the amount of bias in that report, and they're Obama's biggest cheerleaders. It's incredibly easy to find a bunch of stupid quotes from stupid people and then edit selectively to make McCain's supporters look like retards.

3. So it now turns out that Colin Powell, the wet fish of the early Bush administration, has endorsed Barack Obama. Again, this was entirely anticipated and isn't really news. But it's a quiet Monday in newsrooms across media land, so they have to make the story seem a lot bigger than it actually is. If you remember, Colin Powell was usually wheeled out by Dubya to promote going to war against Iraq. The idea was that people would listen to an intelligent person such as Powell. There was some justification in this logic - but the fact that hare-brained dimwits such as Donald Rumsfeld supported the war also was a dead giveaway that it was a bad idea. And let's not forget Dick Cheney's role in all of this - his friends at Halliburton have certainly done well out of Iraq, haven't they?

But I digress. It was said that Powell harboured numerous doubts about the evidence which led to the war - and rightly so. Yet he failed to say anything at the time. He seemed more than happy to do Dubya's bidding back then, to his utter shame. If he really believed we were being led to war on the basis of lies, he should have resigned from the administration and gone public with his views. An endorsement from a character like this could be a poisoned chalice for Obama, so I wouldn't make too much of it.

And that's all from Stargalaxy's Running Commentary for now. Sounds like a good name for a blog, that...
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    2. The clip from the Al-Qaeda, sorry I mean Al-Jazeera network ...

Are you really seriously comparing the two? In what sense is that an even vaguely valid comparison?
  • Options
    1. Don't pay too much attention to the polls. In the UK, the Tories were struggling in the polls before the 1992 general election. Everyone assumed Labour was on course for a fairly large victory. What happened? The Tories were returned to power, and another Labour leader bit the dust. A similar sitaution appears to be developing in the USA right now.
    Really? I would have thought the 1997 election would be a far closer comparison. You've got a useless government just about everyone despises, with a vibrant new opposition leader who is popular with many outisde his own party. Obama is a lot closer to the Tony Blair of May 1997 than to the Michael Foot of 92.
    2. The clip from the Al-Qaeda, sorry I mean Al-Jazeera network that Saeed M referred to earlier proves absolutely nothing. Even BBC News would cringe at the amount of bias in that report, and they're Obama's biggest cheerleaders. It's incredibly easy to find a bunch of stupid quotes from stupid people and then edit selectively to make McCain's supporters look like retards.

Two points: shouts of Obama being 'an Arab', 'not one of us' or even a 'terrorist' have been heard inside venues at various Republican Party rallies. McCain's own running mate has been encouraging such views herself.

I'm sure there are millions of decent, rational Republican voters. But they also get a disturbing number of radicals, fundies, xenophobes and plain old racists, with little or no effort to oppose or challenge such views within the party.
    3. So it now turns out that Colin Powell, the wet fish of the early Bush administration, has endorsed Barack Obama. Again, this was entirely anticipated and isn't really news. But it's a quiet Monday in newsrooms across media land, so they have to make the story seem a lot bigger than it actually is. If you remember, Colin Powell was usually wheeled out by Dubya to promote going to war against Iraq. The idea was that people would listen to an intelligent person such as Powell. There was some justification in this logic - but the fact that hare-brained dimwits such as Donald Rumsfeld supported the war also was a dead giveaway that it was a bad idea. And let's not forget Dick Cheney's role in all of this - his friends at Halliburton have certainly done well out of Iraq, haven't they?

But I digress. It was said that Powell harboured numerous doubts about the evidence which led to the war - and rightly so. Yet he failed to say anything at the time. He seemed more than happy to do Dubya's bidding back then, to his utter shame. If he really believed we were being led to war on the basis of lies, he should have resigned from the administration and gone public with his views. An endorsement from a character like this could be a poisoned chalice for Obama, so I wouldn't make too much of it.
    Most observers appear to disagree with you.

And the fact that a major Republican figure publicly supports the opposition's candidate is major news, whichever way you look at it.

What have made Rumsfeld go public is the disgusting negative campaigning by the Republicans and the incredibly poor choice McCain made when he nominated Palin as his running mate. According to polls most Americans disagree with the tone and direction of the Republican campaign too.

McCain could still win- nothing is impossible there- but there are high hopes he won't. I'm not sure this planet can take 4 more years of that Administration.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Really? I would have thought the 1997 election would be a far closer comparison. You've got a useless government just about everyone despises, with a vibrant new opposition leader who is popular with many outisde his own party. Obama is a lot closer to the Tony Blair of May 1997 than to the Michael Foot of 92..

I think you mean Kinnock, not Foot
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Are you really seriously comparing the two? In what sense is that an even vaguely valid comparison?
    It's nice to see that you are still a humourless, robotic droid even in your old age. That was meant to be a reference to the way that a few years ago, videos of Osama Bin Laden saying "death to the Americans" were always being leaked to the network.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    And the fact that a major Republican figure publicly supports the opposition's candidate is major news, whichever way you look at it. What have made [Powell] go public is the disgusting negative campaigning by the Republicans and the incredibly poor choice McCain made when he nominated Palin as his running mate.
    It clearly isn't major news. This has been anticipated for several weeks. Also, when you consider the fact Powell allegedly disagreed with his party on a number of issues, it's no surprise to discover he's going to bat for the opposition.

As for Sarah Palin, even I'm fast coming to the position that the woman was a terrible choice for the vice-presidency. I suspect she could be a good secretary of state in the right department, but that this is one promotion too soon.
  • Options
    I think you mean Kinnock, not Foot
    Indeed, you're right.
  • Options

Oh dear.

The Tory victory in that election had less to do with them being unpopular and more an undecided electorate who wouldn't trust a Labour government at that time. That's when Labour decided to radically change it's policies and New Labour came into existence a couple of years after that.

Obama on the other hand, as an opposition candidate, is popular and has some good policies the American public like.
  • Options
    I suspect she could be a good secretary of state in the right department.

What exactly is a secetary of state in a right department? :confused:
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Obama on the other hand, as an opposition candidate, is popular and has some good policies the American public like.
    But how many of these people will actually go and vote for him, come polling day? If we see a huge turn-out, Obama will have a good chance. If not, McCain gets in through the back door.
  • Options
    It's nice to see that you are still a humourless, robotic droid even in your old age. That was meant to be a reference to the way that a few years ago, videos of Osama Bin Laden saying "death to the Americans" were always being leaked to the network. .

Well if you meant that, you should have said it.

Perhaps its because the BBC have next to sod all reporters based in that area of the world? Compared to say an arab based network?
  • Options
    But how many of these people will actually go and vote for him, come polling day? If we see a huge turn-out, Obama will have a good chance. If not, McCain gets in through the back door.
    Democrats have won elections before. It's not as if the American voters are set against the principle of it.

Other than sufficient numbers of Americans not being able to bring themselves to vote for a black man, I see no reason why the Democrats could lose (if there are no big surprises or changes). Bush didn't get re-elected by a large margin at all, even so Kerry was a lot less popular. There is a different air and feeling about this Democrat team and candidate, coupled with a disastrous Republican campaign and record disapproval ratings for the current Republican government- which will invariably have an effect on some voters when they decide which party to support for the next term.
  • Options
    Colin Powell Endorsement below for those who have not seen it:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=b2U63fXBlFo&feature=user

I'm pretty impressed with how well he spoke and how he set out why he supports Obama
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    Colin Powell Endorsement below for those who have not seen it:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=b2U63fXBlFo&feature=user

I'm pretty impressed with how well he spoke and how he set out why he supports Obama

it ain't a hatchet job

was discussing this with the other hal the other night after a few drinks, if mccain picked lieberman as VP, on a hard choice i'd pick him because i'd vote for obama as elected head of state, but i wouldn't pick him for policies and leadership as a whole, in 4 years probably i would... i just don't think he's there yet, change what other than image exactly springs to mind....

i wouldnt vote for mccain/palin with a barge pole, not because of mccain, but his age and the fact if he died, palin would be president which is a very scary propect even if a distant unlucky one..... the fact McCain has put stuff to stop torture by CIA etc etc is a very signifigant plus for him, even if he knows nothing about economics, because that's what his aides are for....
  • Options
    ..... the fact McCain has put stuff to stop torture by CIA etc etc is a very signifigant plus for him, even if he knows nothing about economics, because that's what his aides are for....

After being a prisoner of War for over 5 years you can't expect him not to vote for anti-torture legislation.