Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

McCain

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/make_believe_maverick_the_real_john_mccain

Fascinating on so many levels.

1) Put paid to the lie that Democrat supporters don't do character assassination

2) A telling example of how you can spin stories

3) If I was American would make me more inclined to vote for him,

All in all one of the nastiest articles I've seen...

Comments

• Options
    Yes of course its got a deep bias, yes in some ways its unfair and its not completely honest. But there is a key of truth running through the whole piece, McCain has changed his views on virtually all the major issues in an effort to get elected. He has literally whored himself and his values to get the keys to the White House.

That and he is an old and very sick man, his VP is a nasty vindictive relgious fundamentalist and that is really all you need to know.

This is a more important US election than 2000, Palin would do the US and the World a great deal of harm and cause a lot of suffering.
  • Options
    So he's changed his views on a couple of issues over the years. Who hasn't? You'd have to be a total retard to hold exactly the same views now that you had 20 years ago. He may well have changed his mind on some subjects, but at least we know what his opinions are.

Which is certainly more than we know about Barack Obama. All we ever see from this man are flowery, meaningless speeches about "change" - the one thing Obama has virtually no chance of bringing about. The real mystery is why on earth so many normally sensible right-wing thinkers have fallen for this. Iain Dale, for instance, recently wrote on his blog that he was supporting Obama. Has he gone mad?
  • Options
    Most people dont just suddenly change their views on taxation, government, abortion, gay rights, divorce... etc.

When Palin was in charge of her state she made women who were raped pay for the testing kits. Do I have to say more?!
  • Options
    There have been lots of muttering in the press this weekend about McCain being very uncomfortable with the ultra-negative campaign waged by his lovely running mate, and about him even considering throwing the towel early rather than attempt to win by such methods.

He certainly looked embarrassed by the nastiness displayed by his very supporters at rallies (''Obama is an Arab'', ''he's a terrorist'', and even "kill him" have been heard). However he has not put a stop to the negative campaigning, and he must take blame for allowing such disgraceful behaviour.

Here's a sample of the kind of people who attend Republican rallies

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=itEucdhf4Us&eurl=http://forum.protestwarrior.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9427

In any case Flash, if you have been following the election campaign you must be aware that by a long margin the Republican camp and its machine have engaged in far, far worse and more frequent personal attacks than the Democrats. I can only hope the public can see such tactics for what they are and kick those bastards out office. For what's worth I think on the whole McCain is a decent man but the Republican Party is full of deeply unpleasant individuals and a worrying number of its supporters are plain old scum.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    For what's worth I think on the whole McCain is a decent man but the Republican Party is full of deeply unpleasant individuals and a worrying number of its supporters are plain old scum.

He was, I think he would have been a much better president than Bush, what he stood for in 2000 is the side of the Republicans I can agree with, he was considered a liberal.

Not scum, I know a lot of people with views like Palin, and on the whole they are not bad people, just completely lacking in an understanding that the world isnt black and white.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Most people dont just suddenly change their views on taxation, government, abortion, gay rights, divorce... etc.
    Let me guess. You probably saw some article where they quoted what McCain said back in the 1980s on one particular subject, and then quoted him again in the last 12 months. If that's the case, it's a no brainer. People's views do change over time. Hard as it is to believe now, but I used to be a communist when I was at school.
    When Palin was in charge of her state she made women who were raped pay for the testing kits. Do I have to say more?!
    You're getting desperate to find dirt now, aren't you? I have yet to see any evidence of this. That problem was isolated to a couple of police forces. When lawmakers found out about this, they took action to outlaw the practice and rightly so.
  • Options
    Party politics isn't the same in America as it is here. Sure Republicans tend to be slightly more right-wing that Democrats but voters tend to go on personality and politics of the candidates themselves more than party politics. For instance, the President can veto any bill passed by Congress and Congress needs a 2/3 majority to overturn that afterwards. Having someone like Palin and her dodgy politics is certainly a hinderence, then again, I saw somewhere that in swing states Obama would be 6 points further ahead in the polls if he was white. Says a lot really.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Let me guess. You probably saw some article where they quoted what McCain said back in the 1980s on one particular subject, and then quoted him again in the last 12 months. If that's the case, it's a no brainer. People's views do change over time. Hard as it is to believe now, but I used to be a communist when I was at school.

You're getting desperate to find dirt now, aren't you? I have yet to see any evidence of this. That problem was isolated to a couple of police forces. When lawmakers found out about this, they took action to outlaw the practice and rightly so.

No strangely enough SG I follow the US election race quite closely.

But then frankly I have begun to see absolutely not point in debating anything with you, your views are so obviously set and nothing anything anyone says makes the blindest bit of notice. Please dont take this personally but I find your views deeply scary.
  • Options
    (''Obama is an Arab'', ''he's a terrorist'', and even "kill him" have been heard). However he has not put a stop to the negative campaigning, and he must take blame for allowing such disgraceful behaviour.

To be fair the kill him comment related to the founder of the Weathermen - it comes out wrong in the cut of the clip, however the BBC have been pulling reports on some of the people attending the rallies as they feel it creates far too negative a view of McCain's general support in the US

But I must admit, I've gotta admire him for trying to reign it back - especially since the candidate isn't necessarily in charge of the whole campaign. Given the history of how extreme some campaigns have been in the US, where race is involved, I'd hoped to the Republican's wouldn't have played into that market - something Palin's comments haven't helped.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/10/getting_angry.html
  • Options
    He was, I think he would have been a much better president than Bush, what he stood for in 2000 is the side of the Republicans I can agree with, he was considered a liberal.

Not scum, I know a lot of people with views like Palin, and on the whole they are not bad people, just completely lacking in an understanding that the world isnt black and white.
    I don't think many of them are. However Palin has been all but suggesting Obama is a terrorist and "not one of us", and seems perfectly at ease (even smiling apparently) when Republican supporters shout as much at rallies.

There might be many backward but decent people amongst them, but anyone who subscribes to suggestions of Obama being an Arab (as if it mattered) or a terrorist are pure scum IMO. That the Republican Party makes no attempt to stop such libellous and insulting alegations at rallies and makes no apology for such outbursts goes to show what a profoundly nasty party they are.
  • Options
    Let me guess. You probably saw some article where they quoted what McCain said back in the 1980s on one particular subject, and then quoted him again in the last 12 months. If that's the case, it's a no brainer. People's views do change over time. Hard as it is to believe now, but I used to be a communist when I was at school. You're getting desperate to find dirt now, aren't you? I have yet to see any evidence of this. That problem was isolated to a couple of police forces. When lawmakers found out about this, they took action to outlaw the practice and rightly so.

I see where you're coming from with McCain, but Palin is pretty indefensible...

I don't think McCain has that much integrity but then does any politician? I think Palin is plainly an idiot. There are more reasons than I can list here really.

I think McCain would have been a credible vote were it not for Palin.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I see where you're coming from with McCain, but Palin is pretty indefensible...
    When he chose Sarah Palin as his deputy, there were widespread claims that he hadn't thought it through. He denied them at the time, but time is proving that they were probably correct. I definitely understand the merits of bringing in someone new, but it does make you wonder how many more skeletons there are to come from Palin's cupboard.
  • Options
    For what's worth I think on the whole McCain is a decent man but the Republican Party is full of deeply unpleasant individuals and a worrying number of its supporters are plain old scum.

I find it sad that McCain, respected as a pretty decent and honourable guy is going to have his reputation forever tarnished by Sarah Palin and this desperate '08 White House attempt. He's lost what made him a 'decent' politician through his campaign being willing to do literally anything to win.

In US politics, the 'Democrat' and 'Republican' labels don't reveal the whole story - the Republican Main Street Partnership (of which McCain is still officially speaking a member of) can be more socially liberal than some Democrats... Basically, there's progressives and reactionaries within both parties. However, I don't think this holds true when it comes to presidential elections - given the transformation of McCain, a previously moderate and mainstream Republican.

If McCain had picked Joe Lieberman as his running mate I think he'd be way ahead in the polls. Liberman is a liberal as far as domestic politics goes - he's pro-choice, he supports gay rights, he supports gun control, etc - but on foreign policy, he's hawkish and very close to McCain. If Lieberman was McCain's VP nominee I think a lot of Hillary voters would have defected to McCain...

The race isn't over yet though - McCain/Palin could still win. In a McCain White House Palin would have zero influence - but given his age and health the risk she poses is still far too great. (And she'd be set up to run for president herself one day...)
  • Options

Possibly, though it was the Town not the State

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2008/sep/22/palin-rape-kit-controversy/

More accurately it would be say that like many small towns Wasilla, often charged health insurance companies for rape kits, it wasn't something Palin introduced (or indeed possibly knew about)
  • Options
    When he chose Sarah Palin as his deputy, there were widespread claims that he hadn't thought it through. He denied them at the time, but time is proving that they were probably correct. I definitely understand the merits of bringing in someone new, but it does make you wonder how many more skeletons there are to come from Palin's cupboard.

It's such a long list is ridiculous. Apart from her being just stupid and allowing herself to buy into ideas that influenced her decisions as a policy maker rather than based on the evidence. Encouraging drilling for oil and opposing environmental sanctions because her oil company friends have had her believe threats to natural wildlife don't exist. Apposing aborting in any shape way or form and basically going back to fundamentalist principles about the way we carry out healthcare. If it's not in the bible, then your doctor will be forced to say no. Blatant corruption, she has been found guilty for abuse of power, she has appointed several of her school friends who were (allegedly) clearly not the best choice to plenty of well paid positions around the state of Alaska.

She doesn't have any idea about most major policies. She has never given a clear position on so many important issues, because she probably doesn't know what she's supposed to think.

I like the woman, I think she's extremely charismatic but she's just not cut out for the job. She isn't pushing for anything like Hilary Clinton was, she just landed the position and now just wants to try and look good by trying to be 'down to earth'. What positive change will she bring? Ask her that to her face and she doesn't really have an answer.
  • Options
    Yes of course its got a deep bias, yes in some ways its unfair and its not completely honest. But there is a key of truth running through the whole piece, McCain has changed his views on virtually all the major issues in an effort to get elected. He has literally whored himself and his values to get the keys to the White House.

That and he is an old and very sick man, his VP is a nasty vindictive relgious fundamentalist and that is really all you need to know.

This is a more important US election than 2000, Palin would do the US and the World a great deal of harm and cause a lot of suffering.

To be honest I didn't really care about those type of comments - it was the slurs on his military record which really riled me.

Perhaps I just have more time for the blokes who are out there, than carping journo's, who biggest risk is whether to claim a bit extra on expenses. It's a nasty, vile article.
  • Options
    If McCain had picked Joe Lieberman as his running mate I think he'd be way ahead in the polls. Liberman is a liberal as far as domestic politics goes - he's pro-choice, he supports gay rights, he supports gun control, etc - but on foreign policy, he's hawkish and very close to McCain. If Lieberman was McCain's VP nominee I think a lot of Hillary voters would have defected to McCain...

Possibly, but he also play's to McCain's strengths and doesn't pick up the right-wing. Now you could argue that they'd vote for McCain anyway, but they're is also a risk that they just stay at home.

That said normally a VP only makes a slight difference, Palin may be the exception to this (partially due to the loathing she gets in some people and partially due to McCain's age).
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I like the woman, I think she's extremely charismatic but she's just not cut out for the job. She isn't pushing for anything like Hilary Clinton was, she just landed the position...
    Oh please, not that bloody Clinton woman again. The only reason she had any chance of getting anywhere near the presidency is because her husband, when not receiving blowjobs from fat interns, used to do the job. There was a dreadful sense of entitlement about Hilary, much like there always has been with Gordon Brown. Macavity is absolutely shit at the top job, and I've no reason to think Hilary would have been any better.
  • Options
    Oh please, not that bloody Clinton woman again. The only reason she had any chance of getting anywhere near the presidency is because her husband, when not receiving blowjobs from fat interns, used to do the job. There was a dreadful sense of entitlement about Hilary, much like there always has been with Gordon Brown. Macavity is absolutely shit at the top job, and I've no reason to think Hilary would have been any better.

She had policies that made a lot of sense to be honest though.
  • Options
    McCain took a huge gamble on Palin. I can see what he was trying to do, because he wasn't getting massive support from the types of people who had supported Huckerbee in the Republican election. But there must've been a better socially conservative candidate than Palin? By choosing her, he might've put more people off that he has attracted. I guess we'll find out soon. But in choosing her, he's also cut his balls off in his ability to attack Obama. His best attribute to counter Obama was his years of experience at the top level of politics, and to pick someone after only meeting her once, who has such little experience, has ruined that line of attack imo. That's before we even consider what a horrid character Palin is. Having said that, I think we've got to the point now where if you're not put off by Palin by now, you're never going to be, because there's something for everyone in her back catalogue of gaffs and idiocy.
  • Options
    Not wanting to derail this thread, but Brown's management of big crisis (not just the current financial one but the floodings and terrorist attack attempts at the beginning of his tenure) is second to none. His day-to-day running of the country has been piss-poor to date, but on the whole I wouldn't rate him that low.
  • Options
    But then frankly I have begun to see absolutely not point in debating anything with you, your views are so obviously set and nothing anything anyone says makes the blindest bit of notice. Please dont take this personally but I find your views deeply scary.
    Questionable stuff. I'm With Stupid, much as I loathe to admit it, is the one who persuaded me to change my mind on the death penalty. You also conveniently ignore the fact that my views on drugs have changed notably in the last few years. But you never were one for facts, were you? As for my views being scary, I choose to view that as a compliment, so thank you very much.
    Not wanting to derail this thread, but Brown's management of big crisis (not just the current financial one but the floodings and terrorist attack attempts at the beginning of his tenure) is second to none. His day-to-day running of the country has been piss-poor to date, but on the whole I wouldn't rate him that low.
    The man is an utter retard. He seems to think that making banks lend at 2007 levels will save the banking system. What, bringing back the "supersize" mortgages that got us into this crisis in the first place will somehow get us out of it? Well, what else can we expect of Gordon Brown - the man who got us into this in the first place, though he likes to pretend otherwise? The plans he puts forward are nothing to do with saving the banking system, and everything to do with saving his own bacon. And yes, I have noticed that he got a ringing endorsement yesterday from a Nobel prize winner. It changes nothing - he'll still be kicked out of No 10 at the next general election.

As for the thread... why do I see a repeat of the 2000 elections coming up? Back then, the polls were too close to call. The same trend is developing once more if you look at the polls now. I have an awful suspicion that the lawyers will be watching this election particularly closely.
  • Options
    They are pretty close but I think Obama is pulling away:

#### McCain Obama
    Rasmussen 45 50
    Diageo 42 48
    GWU 40 53
    IBD 43 45

AVG 42.5 49

Difference on average of 6.5% in favour of Obama. Bear in mind the past week has been awful for McCain and that effect is still rippling. I.e. Palin being found guilty of abuse of power. Look on the BBC's website and the current trend is clear:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/629/629/7360265.stm

But as with any shares, past perforamance isn't indicative of future performance, if tomorrow it turns out Obama has been hitting his wife then we could see a complete turnaround.
  • Options
    Questionable stuff. I'm With Stupid, much as I loathe to admit it, is the one who persuaded me to change my mind on the death penalty. You also conveniently ignore the fact that my views on drugs have changed notably in the last few years. But you never were one for facts, were you? As for my views being scary, I choose to view that as a compliment, so thank you very much. The man is an utter retard. He seems to think that making banks lend at 2007 levels will save the banking system. What, bringing back the "supersize" mortgages that got us into this crisis in the first place will somehow get us out of it? Well, what else can we expect of Gordon Brown - the man who got us into this in the first place, though he likes to pretend otherwise?
    How exactly is it his fault, pray tell? Do you think it is just an amazing coincidence that the rest of the Western world is in similar trouble? Or do you perhaps blame him for the planet's woes?
    The plans he puts forward are nothing to do with saving the banking system, and everything to do with saving his own bacon.
    Can't be that bad when practically every other country is rushing to copy his measures..

As for the thread... why do I see a repeat of the 2000 elections coming up? Back then, the polls were too close to call. The same trend is developing once more if you look at the polls now. I have an awful suspicion that the lawyers will be watching this election particularly closely.
    Well the polls are not too close to call here. I suspect at this stage they show the biggest gap there has been at a US presidential campaign for the last couple of decades. The republicans could still win of course...
  • Options
    How exactly is it his fault, pray tell? Do you think it is just an amazing coincidence that the rest of the Western world is in similar trouble? Or do you perhaps blame him for the planet's woes?
    He is the one who put in place the regulatory regime that has failed us. He's the one who spent stupid amounts of money on unreformed, failing public services. He's the one who has been pushing up taxes, especially for the poorest in society. (ask anyone affected by the abolition of the 10p tax band, if you want the evidence. Better still, just take a look at my pay slips.) It defies belief for him to claim all the credit when everything's going well, yet suddenly to claim he hasn't been around for the last 11 years when things are going wrong. And now he has the cheek to claim that he is the man to get us out of this? What a dickhead!

Brown is currently talking about creating a huge body to keep an eye on the global markets - similar to a worldwide version of the Financial Services Authority. The idea was initially mooted by Roosevelt & Churchill back in the 1940s - not only is he bringing back corpses from Labour's past, he's bringing back ideas from even further back as well. Why should anyone listen seriously to anything this idiot proposes? He's the one who put in place a failed regulatory regime in the UK, and he wants to introduce a global one, presumably with him heading it. And people seriously think this man is our saviour, some kind of superhero? It makes you wonder what mind-inducing drugs our newspaper editors are taking!
    Can't be that bad when practically every other country is rushing to copy his measures..
    Only because what the rest of the world has tried so far isn't working. No one knows whether Macavity's plan of buying up the banks will work either.
    Well the polls are not too close to call here. I suspect at this stage they show the biggest gap there has been at a US presidential campaign for the last couple of decades. The republicans could still win of course...
    Give it another two or three weeks, and they almost certainly will be too close to call.
  • Options
    He is the one who put in place the regulatory regime that has failed us. He's the one who spent stupid amounts of money on unreformed, failing public services.
    How exactly are they failing? The railways are privatised and I seem to be the only one who thinks they're crap. The NHS, for all its faults, it's still fantastic and something hundreds of countries around the world could only dream of. I cannot think of any other public services that are failing.
    He's the one who has been pushing up taxes, especially for the poorest in society. (ask anyone affected by the abolition of the 10p tax band, if you want the evidence. Better still, just take a look at my pay slips.)
    I thought the government later introduced payments to cancel out this? In any case the credit crunch has bugger all to do with it.
    It defies belief for him to claim all the credit when everything's going well, yet suddenly to claim he hasn't been around for the last 11 years when things are going wrong. And now he has the cheek to claim that he is the man to get us out of this? What a dickhead!
    The job of the government is to make sure the economy is stable and the State interferes as little as possible with the markets. In this the government has, on the whole, a very good record indeed. It is the banks and financial institutions who have got themselves in the whole they are in, make no mistake about that. They should be bloody grateful they are getting bailed out by the tax payer, considering they cream all the profits when things are well.

However much you dislike Brown, blaming him for the credit crunch is unjustified and unfounded. Might as well blame him for the Boxing Day tsunami.
    Give it another two or three weeks, and they almost certainly will be too close to call.
    Do you have a preference or are pretty neutral about it, out of curiosity?
  • Options
    Do you have a preference or are pretty neutral about it, out of curiosity?
    You know where my allegiances lie on this one.
  • Options

I think you're probably right. Anyway, even if Obama gets more votes than McCain it doesn't mean he wins... lets not forget 2000.
  • Options
    I thought the government later introduced payments to cancel out this?

Yep, I got my £60 back a few weeks ago, and now pay £10 less per month than I did for the previous 6 months.
  • Options
    You know where my allegiances lie on this one.
    I don't remember you making a statement either way but I can only reach the conclusion you support the Republicans.

Quite why anyone would want to lend their support to that bunch of (mostly) ultrafundamentlist scumbags is frankly beyond me. I mean, if you backed the Democrats you would still be supporting a party that is to the right of the Conservatives, so it's not as if it was a left vs. right issue.

Anyways, I am happy to see that Obama's lead has widened to a considerable 14 points:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/oct/15/uselections2008-barackobama