Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I really dislike my parents

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    People going out every weekend isnt something you can be using for an example as to other people with something going for them.

Yes it is. everyone else is happy and normal and I am not.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    I hope this doesn't come across as harsh but you need to stop thinking like that!
    Unless you go around killing people or whatever I doubt you're scum!

i AM scum. I have nothing and AM nothing and I'd be better off dead.
  • Options
    ilipintt wrote: »

Why are you scum?
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

Hey, I'm really sorry to hear you feel this way. Just looking at some of the posts you've made outside this thread, it's clear to me that you have lots to say, you come across as someone who is interested in others and have a caring nature. That alone suggests to me that you're not 'nothing' and it's important to know that you don't have to face this difficult period alone.

I can well understand why you've been unimpressed with the thought of going to a psychiatrist, but as flynn points out, there are forms of positive emotional support available that aren't anywhere near as daunting.

First off, Careline provides a free and confidential telephone counselling service. You can find details on the website.

However, I'm well aware that you may not feel comfortable speaking to someone on the phone about how you're feeling. There are also some email support services available - askTheSite is TheSite.org's confidential message service which allows you to write in for support and receive an answer within three working days.

The samaritans also has an email service, as does Saneline

I hope you feel able to use one of these services as a first step forward and if you have any questions about them then don't hesitate to ask. :)
  • Options
    I have a far worse life than everybody else. I'm 25 and everyone else my age goes out every weekend, is getting married, has kids already, has a good job and the rest. I have nothing to show for my life thus far. I'd be better off if I just didn't exist.

That statement almost makes me agree with all the negative stuff you've been saying about yourself. I don't go out every weekend, I've never been out with my friends, I had to take so much time off school I failed most of my GCSE's. I can't get married and have kids or even have a decent job because I will be looking after my brother for the rest of my life. Being able to go to the shop for something other than my brother's favourite crisps is the highlight of my year. The important thing about my life is that I'm one of the luckiest people to ever exist. My family are as messed up as anyone's but they're here and, apart from my brother, they're not ill. I have clean water, a house, food, health care and education which is more than most of the world have. My parents didn't have it at my age.
    You have nothing to show for your life because you expect too much or haven't done anything valuable with it, and only you are to blame for that. Stop comparing yourself to everyone else and just focus on what makes you happy. If you're not willing to make the effort to do something you can't get upset when it doesn't happen.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Why are you scum?

I'm just a fool who is despised by all.
  • Options
    I'm just a fool who is despised by all.
    LEAVE THE COUNTRY AND TRAVEL. There's 6 billion people out there, some cultures generally friendlier than others, I'm sure there'll be somewhere you'll fit in much better than wherever you currently are.

I was a fool who was despised by all once upon a time. Well not quite that extreme but generally not popular. So I left to start a new life and now things are great. Follow suit.
  • Options
    It's no use. Everywhere I go I would just be a fuck. I'm also very individualistic by nature and I wouldn't fit in in other societies.

The only hopes I have are to change my personality completely or die. I'd rather choose death.
  • Options
    I'd suggest giving soem of the number sposted above a call to help you get through feeling so down when that happens. No matter how badly you think of yourself they are there to help and dont hate you.

Might be worth having a look at moodgym as well. It's a nice little Aussie site based on Cognative Behavioural Therapy - basically the branch of counselling that sees how you think of yourself as an incredibly powerful force on how you interpret events and feelings you experience.

Well worth a quick click, it's free and might give you a different perspective on yourself and what you are currently going through.
  • Options
    It's no use. Everywhere I go I would just be a fuck. I'm also very individualistic by nature and I wouldn't fit in in other societies.

The only hopes I have are to change my personality completely or die. I'd rather choose death.
    Oh I give up, if you're going to be that stubborn adamantly brushing off a load of suggestions then you can't be helped. What I'm telling you to do WILL hopefully change your personality - as your outlook in life will naturally be changed if you gain more exposure to the big wild world & other types of people out there. Nobody is dislikeable by everyone - just because you haven't got on well in whichever town you're at doesn't mean you won't click with some people out there in this 6 billion planet. Cheesy but true. And even if you don't fit in, I believe you can lead a decent life without needing to rely on friendships - I can happily go quite some time with just TV, books, computer games, internet, gym/swimming without much social interaction.
  • Options
    Again, I find myself agreeing with tinkler. Doing some volounteering work or teaching English in a foreign country will expose you to different lifestyles and cultures and maybe you'll be able to transfer whatever good you come across into your own life?
    Or even volounteering here with kids at an afterschool club or something will be really rewarding and as much help as you're giving out you will in most cases feel how valuable you are to the people you're helping.

Good luck :)
  • Options
    tinkler wrote: »
    Oh I give up, if you're going to be that stubborn adamantly brushing off a load of suggestions then you can't be helped. What I'm telling you to do WILL hopefully change your personality - as your outlook in life will naturally be changed if you gain more exposure to the big wild world & other types of people out there. Nobody is dislikeable by everyone - just because you haven't got on well in whichever town you're at doesn't mean you won't click with some people out there in this 6 billion planet. Cheesy but true. And even if you don't fit in, I believe you can lead a decent life without needing to rely on friendships - I can happily go quite some time with just TV, books, computer games, internet, gym/swimming without much social interaction.

thanks. but i feel happier by interacting with people. thanks anyway.
  • Options
    That statement almost makes me agree with all the negative stuff you've been saying about yourself. I don't go out every weekend, I've never been out with my friends, I had to take so much time off school I failed most of my GCSE's. I can't get married and have kids or even have a decent job because I will be looking after my brother for the rest of my life. Being able to go to the shop for something other than my brother's favourite crisps is the highlight of my year. The important thing about my life is that I'm one of the luckiest people to ever exist. My family are as messed up as anyone's but they're here and, apart from my brother, they're not ill. I have clean water, a house, food, health care and education which is more than most of the world have. My parents didn't have it at my age.
    You have nothing to show for your life because you expect too much or haven't done anything valuable with it, and only you are to blame for that. Stop comparing yourself to everyone else and just focus on what makes you happy. If you're not willing to make the effort to do something you can't get upset when it doesn't happen.

but everyone else does and i just feel bad about it
  • Options
    Everyone else does what?
  • Options
    i feel like im wasting my life away. but ive thought about it and have decided on this plan

- help myself by being more personable
    - make an effort to get to know people
    - move away and make a fresh start

thanks again.
  • Options
    Everyone else does what?

is normal.
  • Options
    theyre not though. Everyone has got their own problems. Some people have it easy for sure, but plenty of people dont, and they really struggle. Youre not alone, even though it may feel that way!!
  • Options
    No-one is normal! If we despised you do you really think we'd give up some time to help you?
  • Options
    theyre not though.

why?
    Everyone has got their own problems. Some people have it easy for sure, but plenty of people dont, and they really struggle. Youre not alone, even though it may feel that way!!

such as what?
  • Options
    No-one is normal!

yes they are.
    If we despised you do you really think we'd give up some time to help you?

i don't know.
  • Options
    How can you define normal?
  • Options
    why?

such as what?
    Such as feeling like they cant cope on a day to day basis for all sorts of reasons.
    Im sure you do have a hard time. It sounds like you find it hard to cope anyway. Other people have it hard too. I didnt say it as a competition
  • Options
    no one else has anything hard.
  • Options
    And how do you know that?
  • Options

Are you saying no-one else has problems?
  • Options

Are you for real?

Cause try telling that to other people who are depressed, or who suffer from illnesses and the like, or are being abused etc.
    Listen I bet you have it hard but coming with such a statement does very little to help your case, and only makes you come off as a spoilt brat.
  • Options
    Clearly ilipintt is having a lot of difficulties and is clearly going to have some real trouble perceiving other people's experiences. It's just as irrational to think everyone is better than you as it is to think no one has it as hard as you.

However, if people do want to post to support the OP then clearly it be worth bearing in mind a need for patience and some understanding of just how negative their viewpoint clearly is right now.

They aren't making a case for anything, they are expressing how they feel, and clearly feeling like no one has it as hard as they do is part of the same negative viewpoint - I don't think jumping down their throat for it is going to do any good, be of any help, or lead to anything other than reinforcing the negative view that creates that kind of post.

ilipintt - have you phoned any of the numbers or taken any of the steps suggested by earlier posters?
  • Options
    Are you saying no-one else has problems?

yes.
    Are you for real?

Cause try telling that to other people who are depressed, or who suffer from illnesses and the like, or are being abused etc.
    Listen I bet you have it hard but coming with such a statement does very little to help your case, and only makes you come off as a spoilt brat.

why?
  • Options
    yes.

I suggest you look at threads in health and relationships, watch the news etc..
  • Options
    I know it must feel kinda futile to do anything about your situation given how you seem to be feeling, but do you think you would be willing to try?

Some of the suggestions in this thread are well worth taking note of and it's perfectly fine to start small. One thing that is fairly easy to do is if you have a small book or something where you can write a diary of sorts. Instead of writing a diary about how your day went, for every day you try to find at least one thing that happened to you that was nice in some way and write it in the book. It doesn't matter how small or insignificant it might seem, just aim to find something nice for every day. Something somebody said to you, if a person smiled or if you did something that made you feel good or you did despite it being difficult for you. It's alright if you can't think of anything, just as long as you try.

Do you think you could give something like that a go?
This discussion has been closed.