Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Grand Theft Auto IV *Now with spoilers* :grump: bloody hacked xbox bastards...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Addict wrote: »
    Someone should put a spoilers warning on this thread.

Done man, though at the moment no one's saying much beyond what you'd see in a review - and they'd better not fucking start :grump: ;)
  • Options
    Damn, now I've got a decision to make.

The editor of planetgrandtheftauto has said that he's heard that the PS3 version is 'undoubtedly superior' to the Xbox 360.
    Interesting indeed, I myself - who is a big fan of the Xbox 360 - will be getting the PlayStation 3 version, as I've read and heard personally from people who have played the game already that this version is undoubtedly superior to the Xbox 360. Granted, not as much that I would recommend going out to buy a PS3 console if you have a 360 already. Too bad that episodic content is Xbox exclusive, is Take-Two/Rockstar regretting that decision now?

Link

I'm glad I have to wait until 10th May. I'm gonna wait it out and find out which concole is playing the game better.
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    Damn, now I've got a decision to make.

The editor of planetgrandtheftauto has said that he's heard that the PS3 version is 'undoubtedly superior' to the Xbox 360.

Only bit that confuses me about that is that only the 360 version seems to have been leaked - so how are people comparing them?
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Only bit that confuses me about that is that only the 360 version seems to have been leaked - so how are people comparing them?

Well this guy presumably knows people who work for other gaming sites that have had hands-on playing time for their reviews and such.
  • Options
    can we have spoiler tags please jim? :(
  • Options
    I've edited it to mention spoilers may be in it - best you can do - I'll look for a hack to add spolier tags properly tomorrow and have them in as soon as possible (the different coloured backgrounds make it less tha easy)

Anyway drop me a PM with what it's like... I'm curious
  • Options
    Ricky Gervais has a section on the talk radio station. it's fucking hilarious.
  • Options
    noog wrote: »
    Ricky Gervais has a section on the talk radio station. it's fucking hilarious.

I noticed that lol

Addict - As for the 360 vs ps3 version, I have only played the 360... but I as far as I know that's the only version that will be getting the downloadable content which adds loads.

ETA - from Wikipedia
    Downloadable content

Xbox 360

During Microsoft's 2006 E3 press conference on 9 May, it was announced that Rockstar Games will offer exclusive episodic content via Xbox Live for the Xbox 360 version of the game.[46] Peter Moore, the then head of Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business division announced that Rockstar Games is working on two GTA IV downloadable packs exclusively for the Xbox 360, which will be released after the full game.

Moore described downloadable content as "epic episode packs", and not just extra cars or characters. A press release during the conference said that the packs would add "hours of entirely new gameplay" to the game.[47] The official Xbox website states that these episodes will last a minimum of 10 hours.[48] The Episodes are compared to Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas in scope[10], CVG reports "the downloadable content (DLC) coming for the Xbox 360 version of GTA IV has repositioned those games in just this way. DLC so far has meant the odd new car, jumper or bit of horse armour, but GTA IV is set to completely redefine the idea with expansions that are to GTA IV what Vice City or San Andreas were GTA III. Yes, Rockstar is clearly hinting at new downloadable cities"
  • Options
    No offence - but much as Peter Moore is a laugh to watch he ain't shy in going over the top. To be frank if he orders coffee he probably orders -

'THE BIGGEST MOTHERFUCKING COFFEE IN THE WORLD - Oh yeah, IT's going to be the BEST coffee you've EVER TASTED. Tattoo that coffee on my back!!! OH YES THIS IS MICROSOFT COFFEE - FUCK ME HAVE YOU EVER HAD COFFEE THIS GOOOOOOD!!... Okay now give me a danish... yeah MAKE IT A MICROSOFT DANISH - It's going to be the BIGGEST DANISH...'

You get the idea

Sure the packs will be good and in style they may be like the other cities - though I really doubt Rockstar would be that obvious, but they ain't gonna be that kind of size.

ETA - GTA IV poll up on the homepage ;P
  • Options
    I'm sure the PC will get some things like that as well. Maybe it will be like TES IV: Oblivion in that there are small-ish downloadable addons about $3 each (I just downloaded them off a torrent :blush:). They add good content but aren't game making / breaking.
  • Options
    I think the content will probably be closer to The Shivering Isle rather than the little updates for armour or short quests. If only because I don't see Microsoft paying $50 million and then charging users to get the money back for content that doesn't add something significant.

Just nothing as big as Vice City of San Andreas...
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Jim V wrote: »
    I think the content will probably be closer to The Shivering Isle rather than the little updates for armour or short quests. If only because I don't see Microsoft paying $50 million and then charging users to get the money back for content that doesn't add something significant.

Just nothing as big as Vice City of San Andreas...

Yeah, I can't see people buying new gun sets or armour sets for GTA somehow.

It'd have to be a big worthwhile expansion - maybe adding in an Island you catch a boat/plane to. Maybe a huge mission line leading to some awesome new vehicles and maybe a new base?

Who knows... episodic GTA. Interesting.
  • Options
    Advertisement round the corner from Rockstar HQ in Edinburgh.

4506-gta-iv-edinburgh-ad.jpg
  • Options
    Is that a small advert on a building or a big fucking massive advert the size of a building with a picture of a smaller advert on it. it's like an illusion.

Also IGN gave GTA IV 10/10 xD
  • Options
    I want this game :(

Should I buy an xbox 360 for it?
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    big fucking massive advert the size of a building with a picture of a smaller advert on it.

Me thinks this one.
  • Options
    a big fucking massive advert the size of a building with a picture of a smaller advert on it. it's like an illusion.

That's the one. They're building there at the moment and they had the building print covering the site, and now they've added the GTA print.
  • Options
    I got it today, it's brilliant!
  • Options
    The story is so good :).

I've been playing for 11 hours and i'm only 25% through the game :)
  • Options
    not long to go now! anyone excited?

im quite looking forward to it, decided not to go down the download route and just wait it out.

picking up after work tomorrow..dunno if to fire straight into the story or go on multiplayer for a bit...hmmm
  • Options
    i really need an xbox 360 ahhhhh
  • Options
    It's almost worrying how excited I am about this - well other than it's obvious given Vice City and San Andreas are pretty much two of my top ten games of all time. My delivery info has finally been updated on the parcelforce website - looks like it's definately here tomorrow morning... oh yes
  • Options
    It's gettin so many 10/10 ratings and being described as the perfect game. It's hard not to be excited about it.

I don't know if it's hyperbole or whatever, but when so many different reviewers and websites are giving it 10/10, it really says something.

Anyone know if Edge have reviewed it yet? They're always very stingy with their 5 out of 5 ratings, and only give them to perfect games. Will be interesting to see what they make of it.

Damn, I'm stuck right bang in the middle of 8 exams in the space of 2 weeks (did my 3rd today), and all I want to do is play this game.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Hmm, I am intruiged what percentage gamer will give it.

I dislike the whole X/10 or X/5 rating system, it isn't at all precise. 100% will be hard to get, and there, IMHO, won't ever be a flawless game.

I expect a percentage in the 90's though.
  • Options
    The ign podcast gives you a good hour review to tide you over ...

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/869/869564p1.html
  • Options
    im buying it for ps3 and my bfs getting it for x box.. :) going to asda in a bit as its out at midnight :D yay
  • Options
    are Tesco releasing it at midnight do you know?
  • Options
    I'm pretty certain from what people are saying that all the 24 hour supermarkets have started putting it out on the shelves and will sell it from midnight. I'd be tempted to go now if you want a copy ;)
  • Options
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33327.html

pretty good HD video of the game for those who haven't seen it :).

I thought i would've had it completed by now but i'm only around halfway through. it's really immense :|
  • Options
    Looks awesome!!!!

by the way - anyone wanna buy rainbow 6 vegas 2 from me for 20 squid (xbox 360) played 5 times.