Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Grand Theft Auto IV *Now with spoilers* :grump: bloody hacked xbox bastards...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well it's nearly time! Ten days to go until probably the most anticipated next-gen release is out....who's buying it? And on which system?

I'm getting it on PS3 (don't own a 360, nor am I bothered about DLC).

Comments

• Options
    I still haven't got around to pre-ordering it :/ Dont know who to buy it through
  • Options
    pre-ordered it from Blockbusters for the 360, only cos its nearest to home.

cant wait to play it.

the DLC sounds like it should be good, with rumored 2 new islands each as big as San Andreas...hmmm
  • Options
    Got my special edition on pre-order, got my days booked off from work and now just hoping Tesco break the release date on such a big level that everyone sends the game out early.

Got it from Game btw - mainly to use up some reward card points.
  • Options
    noog wrote: »
    I still haven't got around to pre-ordering it :/ Dont know who to buy it through

I usually go for play.com. They tend to sell everything cheaper than the RRP from day one. I'm paying £36.99 for it, got a £3 off voucher code because they messed up and didn't send GT5: Prologue out until the day of release meaning I got it late. Also they send out new releases on a Wednesday, so I was lucky and got Uncharted: Drake's Fortune a day before everyone else as it arrived early.

I'd advise pre-ordering very soon, I guess it'll probably be sold out on release day.
    Jim V wrote:
    just hoping Tesco break the release date on such a big level that everyone sends the game out early.

I read in an article a couple of days ago it's already shipped to retailers, so I imagine they probably have it now.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Next-gen? :p

Either way, this is going to be a good game, I hope it as as broken as the GTA3 series was.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    Either way, this is going to be a good game, I hope it as as broken as the GTA3 series was.

Why :confused:
  • Options
    Next-gen? :p

hmmm your post was just a collection of words with no meaning, what are you getting at?
  • Options
    I saw an advert in the cinema the other day, i thought it was going to be an ad for the new GTA game, turns out it was a coca cola commercial.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zfhZfSVuup4

Im more of a simplistic man, i enjoyed the simplicity of GTA1 and GTA London.
  • Options
    You can download the original GTA for free now from rockstar :)
  • Options
    hmmm your post was just a collection of words with no meaning, what are you getting at?

It isn't next gen.

I hope it still has terrible bugs like the other ones, as that made them funny as hell.
  • Options
    It isn't next gen.

I hope it still has terrible bugs like the other ones, as that made them funny as hell.

It's next gen as far as the GTA series is concerned, as the last GTA games were on PS2 and PSP...so it is next gen ;)
  • Options
    It's next gen as far as the GTA series is concerned, as the last GTA games were on PS2 and PSP...so it is next gen ;)

Yes, but that is like saying the Rover 100 is "next gen". :p

GTA games have NEVER kept with the times.
  • Options
    My 360 got the RROD a few months ago, so I'm sending it back to Xbox soon as.
    Either way I'll still be playing it 3 weeks after everyone else. :banghead:
  • Options
    My finals finish May 9th. Buying an Xbox and GTA4 on May 10th. Spending the fortnight after that in my bedroom, stocked up with beer, junk food and a bit of smoke.
  • Options
    I like the fact that on the achievements (which got leaked) one of them is 'finish the story missions in under 30 hours' - not a bad sign ;)
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    I like the fact that on the achievements (which got leaked) one of them is 'finish the story missions in under 30 hours' - not a bad sign ;)

So if that's an 'achievement', I guess normal playing time will be in the region of 50-60 hours. :hyper:

I think the multiplayer will give the game real longevity though. Most of my previous GTAs got put aside once I'd finished the story and got bored of doing all the sub-achievements.
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    I think the multiplayer will give the game real longevity though. Most of my previous GTAs got put aside once I'd finished the story and got bored of doing all the sub-achievements.

Aye I think they're full of shit, what's this multiplayer craic all about?
  • Options
    Here's the eurogamer overview of the multiplayer - http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=132025
  • Options
    Yes, but that is like saying the Rover 100 is "next gen". :p

GTA games have NEVER kept with the times.

But they ripped off the Gears Of War cover system? Surely that's next gen :p Plus online multi-player in the normal open world! I think that's pretty next gen, then drop in drop out a-la-Burnout Dominator thing.
  • Options
    I pre ordered mine a few weeks ago from amazon,£36 including postage.:D
    Cant wait,really looking forward to this one.:hyper:
  • Options
    But they ripped off the Gears Of War cover system? Surely that's next gen :p Plus online multi-player in the normal open world! I think that's pretty next gen, then drop in drop out a-la-Burnout Dominator thing.

Multi Theft Auto did it first :p

Nothing about a GTA game will ever be next gen - when it is, it is a sure sign GTA has sold out and will be a crap game - ala Getaway, and any other rip-offs that existed.

They need to do London '69 in 3D though, badly. Then GTA: Moscow.
  • Options
    I would love them to redo the London stuff again - that was fantastic. To be fair I see exactly where your coming from - GTA has always been laughed at for it's graphics it's the style, the fun and the freedom that make the games not chasing after the latest pixel shaders or photo realistic models.
  • Options
    The only thing that GTA isn't next-gen on is graphics. In terms of free roaming gameplay, they've always been pioneers.

Come on, don't say GTA3 didn't set a bench mark for what all other games should aspire to be like? If that's not being 'next-gen', then I don't know what next-gen is.

ETA: GTA London was the worst GTA game in the series!
  • Options
    I think it's more the idea that 'next-gen' is about just better graphics. Certainly that seems to be the way the industry likes to present the benefits of new consoles.

However, like you say Addict, GTA has always been about improving what makes a game good rather than what makes it look nice. In terms of gameplay the leaps forward GTA has made goes far beyond simple generations of consoles.

GTA III was an absolute revolution - it is a release that totally changed the playing field. I'd genuinely put it on the same level as SpaceWar, Pong, Super Mario and Doom (or Wolfenstein if you want to be picky :p )

And I know GTA London wasn't the best of the series but, hell, I've still never played anything that was GTA that wasn't great fun.
  • Options
    You pissed jim? your post made *no* sense :P

I just preordered the special edition :) from HMV, £160 in vouchers and 1000 MS points thrown in for free
  • Options
    There we go, edited it to make more sense. I'm too knackered for my own good right now...
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    I think it's more the idea that 'next-gen' is about just better graphics. Certainly that seems to be the way the industry likes to present the benefits of new consoles.

However, like you say Addict, GTA has always been about improving what makes a game good rather than what makes it look nice. In terms of gameplay the leaps forward GTA has made goes far beyond simple generations of consoles.

GTA III was an absolute revolution - it is a release that totally changed the playing field. I'd genuinely put it on the same level as SpaceWar, Pong, Super Mario and Doom (or Wolfenstein if you want to be picky :p )

And I know GTA London wasn't the best of the series but, hell, I've still never played anything that was GTA that wasn't great fun.

You gotta love Rockstar, because they keep all other game developers on their toes, by not letting them become complacent and giving us half-arsed games.

Rockstar could have easily created a GTA3 that was only a slightly better version of GTA2 (3D top down gameplay anyone?), and it still would have sold like hot cakes and been a cult game. But instead, they set out to make the game everyone dreamed GTA2 could have been.

A next-gen London would be good, but is the criminal underworld really as interesting or engaging as the American cities, without utterly distorting the London underworld beyond reality? I realise they distort the other cities as well, but at least the elements exist there, making it semi-realistic.

I'd like to see them try something new, but it's difficult to know where, because you'd expect them to choose English speaking countries. For instance, if they had it in Moscow, as suggested, it would be stupid doing it in English and even more stupid having it in subtitles!
  • Options
    I'd expect something that plays more with the whole style and perspective rather than just the location next. I loved the way Bully takes the genre, subverts it and makes something really touching and fun.
  • Options
    just ordered mine from ASDA £38, only a week to go now for me
  • Options
    GTA Moscow would be awesome though - the crime there is as good as it gets from that point of view.

London has a very interesting underworld. The Russian Mafia are here now, you got China town, the Black areas, the Muslim areas, all sorts of potential. Not to mention rich Businesses and places like Soho and Grenwich for contrast. Plus the UNDERGROUND!

As for Next Gen, the GTA's haven't really added much since 1 for gameplay freedom. More guns, better graphics, different cars. Hell, it was only in San Andreas we got truck trailers back since GTA2! The main addition has been Vice City adding in the airbourne factor. GTA3 did with the Dodo, but it was shit.

GTA has a good principle, just add in stuff that makes it better - more guns in 2, and slightly better graphics, and a big mission structure improvement. Plus gangs. 3 - new graphics, 2D has gone as far as it could - more guns, more gore, more cars. Vice City put bikes back in, and did more guns again. And gave us Helicopters and a plane. San Andreas did it all again, more bikes, more cars, more houses, more guns, more gangs. Plus burgulary missions, which were silly but fun.

I don't think the GTA principles can be improved on really. It's always been a freedom based game. But not giving too much freedom.