Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Grand Theft Auto IV *Now with spoilers* :grump: bloody hacked xbox bastards...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Just had the press release from SCEE about the GTA IV PS3 bundle - one thing caught my eye. GTA IV is the eleventh game in the series, can you name all the other ten?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    The main addition has been Vice City adding in the airbourne factor. GTA3 did with the Dodo, but it was shit.

Interestingly, I recently read that the airbourne stuff was all in GTA III but was pulled when 9/11 happened along with the removal of children and old people in the game.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Interestingly, I recently read that the airbourne stuff was all in GTA III but was pulled when 9/11 happened along with the removal of children and old people in the game.

I read something like that as well, Apparently, one criminal who was supposed to be in it to give you missions was cut from the game because the missions he gave out and general character would have been bad taste. Although that could be an urban myth.

There was old people in GTA 3 wasn't there?
  • Options
    Just had the press release from SCEE about the GTA IV PS3 bundle - one thing caught my eye. GTA IV is the eleventh game in the series, can you name all the other ten?

Grand Theft Auto
    Grand Theft Auto 2
    Grand Theft Auto London
    Grand Theft Auto 3
    Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
    Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

I'm a bit short. I bet it's something like gameboy games...
  • Options
    I read something like that as well, Apparently, one criminal who was supposed to be in it to give you missions was cut from the game because the missions he gave out and general character would have been bad taste. Although that could be an urban myth.

There was old people in GTA 3 wasn't there?

I was reading it from IGN's excellent 'History of GTA' article. Here's the bit about the edits -
    On September 11, the twin towers of the World Trade Center fell to terrorist attacks, choking Manhattan in dust and uncertainty. Rockstar's offices were within walking distance of Ground Zero.

Suddenly, there were lines they didn't feel like crossing anymore.

Sam Houser publicly announced GTA III's release would slip three weeks, then the whole team combed Liberty City -- their thinly veiled New York -- for inappropriate content. LCPD squad cars were repainted to look less like the NYPD. Aircraft-based missions, a GTA first, were curtailed. School kids and elderly pedestrians pushing walkers vanished off the sidewalks. Missions doled out by homeless anarchist Darkel got the chop; only his ice cream truck-bomb job survived, transferred to El Burro with the targets switched from cops to rival gangsters.

Also gone: Dismemberments. Arms and legs designed to fly off wounded NPC models stayed attached instead. Post-9/11, it just looked too gruesome. The PC port, released seven months later, gave players the full effect.

From - http://uk.retro.ign.com/articles/863/863037p1.html
  • Options
    And here I was thinking Rockstar were based in Scotland!

I've also heard somewhere than generally when it comes to drugs you have to billing the drug dealers, or something. Because otherwise it gets banned. But then again, there are missions like with the ice cream van aren't there...?
  • Options
    The developers of GTA are in Scotland - Rockstar North. The company had its American office in New York.
  • Options
    Don't think I can justify buying a PS3 for this game. I got the PS2 for one of the Final Fantasy series (probably 10), but this one just wouldn't have that length of playability I don't think.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Grand Theft Auto
    Grand Theft Auto 2
    Grand Theft Auto London
    Grand Theft Auto 3
    Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
    Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

I'm a bit short. I bet it's something like gameboy games...

GTA Liberty City Stories
    GTA Vice City Stories

Still short though...
  • Options
    Just "obtaining" it now. Going to give it a whirl tonight and see what's its like.
  • Options
    holy crap it's leaked :O. Can complete single player before the genuine copy comes now :D
  • Options
    The developers of GTA are in Scotland - Rockstar North.

Their headquarters are in Edinburgh. My friend left his job at Standard Life to be a tester for them and has been bug testing GTA IV for over a year now. He gets paid to try and crash the game! He warned me off the PS3 - apparently they had problems developing for it.

Rockstar have always included references to Edinburgh in their games. In San Andreas, the 2nd bridge in San Fierro (not the one based on Golden Gate) is identical to the Forth Road rail bridge outside Edinburgh. In Vice City, the golf course is called Leaf Links, which is a reference to Leith Links where Rockstars old HQ was, before they became big and moved. Leith Links is a park that was one of the first places they played golf at or something. The company I work for is based there, and there's a plaque about historic golf in the park or something.

By the way, the other games in the series include:

Grand Theft Auto: London, 1969 (1999) PlayStation, Microsoft Windows
    Grand Theft Auto: London, 1961 (1999) Microsoft Windows
    Grand Theft Auto Advance (2004) Game Boy Advance

Source: Wikipedia
  • Options
    p.s for those few who are downloading to play before their pre-order comes...

you might want to unplug ethernet and set the system date/time to the 28th. and not reconnect it until it is the 28th.

otherwise MS might put a stop to your gamertag :(
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    noog wrote: »
    holy crap it's leaked :O. Can complete single player before the genuine copy comes now :D

PM me plox

Also yes, GTA is Scotland based, the press shit is handled by the American side.

GTA
    GTA London 1969
    London Expansion (61?) (Also secret Manchester Level)
    2x Gameboy games (GTA, GTA London)
    GTAIII
    GTA:VC
    GTA:SA
    Liberty City Stories
    Vice City Stories

All named I think?

Edit: Never mind PM, Demonoids has it. Time to try uncompressing PS3 shit for fun.
  • Options
    tut tut bad iCON.

still gonna buy it i recon, hopefully ready for the multiplayer by next tues :chin:
  • Options
    Just watching the videos - looks amazing.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    PM me plox

Also yes, GTA is Scotland based, the press shit is handled by the American side.

GTA
    GTA London 1969
    London Expansion (61?) (Also secret Manchester Level)
    2x Gameboy games (GTA, GTA London)
    GTAIII
    GTA:VC
    GTA:SA
    Liberty City Stories
    Vice City Stories

All named I think?

Edit: Never mind PM, Demonoids has it. Time to try uncompressing PS3 shit for fun.

You missed GTA II. Which was very good :yes:. Factions :hyper:
  • Options
    If you liked factions I think you'll love IV - now back to being amazed by youtube.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I'm sure a lot of the GTA Games were done by Rockstar in Leeds - they have an absolutely massive office here that seems to advertise for designers & marketing every so often.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    I'm sure a lot of the GTA Games were done by Rockstar in Leeds - they have an absolutely massive office here that seems to advertise for designers & marketing every so often.

i believe it was made by Rockstar North in Edinburgh, was never aware Rockstar had a office in leeds /me goes looks at jobs
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    i believe it was made by Rockstar North in Edinburgh, was never aware Rockstar had a office in leeds /me goes looks at jobs
    They did Vice City and Liberty City Stories and Max Payne I think - they tend to do a fair amount though.
  • Options
    been playing the game for about 4 hours. fuck me it's pretty good :).

Lots of nifty features. I wont spoil anything, but when you crash a car at high speed you go flying out the windscreen :D.
  • Options

Lots of nifty features. I wont spoil anything, but when you crash a car at high speed you go flying out the windscreen :D.

fuck off. nothing more to say
  • Options
    Fuck me, just the details in the youtube videos look staggering. Watching Nico get bumped by a car, put his hands against the bonnet to cushion the blow, then pull open the door, the driver come out of the car like he's trying to stay in, then throw a punch and actually look like it connected... then get beaten and slump against the curve of the car. The when Nico drives away and he pulls the door shut it gets caught on the body of the unconcious driver.

Even just watching it, it seems so tactile.
  • Options

how did you get it?
  • Options
    2436730491_80a25ee99a.jpg

heh all the cop cars have a computer that you can access so you can look up criminal records. so far it doesnt work though :(.

I have a gf in gta4 now too :hyper:

@ Shogun, got it through a private bittorrent tracker
  • Options
    Yeah its pretty good, nice story so far. The graphics are stunning and the game play is much better than the other gta's.

The handling of the cars took a bit of getting used too.
  • Options
    What exactly is a private bittorrent tracker?
  • Options
    Someone should put a spoilers warning on this thread.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Oh yeah, I forgot 2, 2 was the best IMHO. I loved it so, and I made a level. <3 for GTA2.