Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Company boycotts ?

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Dear Wendy wrote: »
    I boycott Somerfield as they operate under discriminating policy, and apparently don't see anything wrong with it. In the middle of a battle of them as it is.

Oh, and nothing major but I've boycotted the green grocer that had a Boycott Israel sign in its window.
    i don't blam you.
  • Options
    i don't blam you.

For what?
  • Options
    For what?

boycuttin the shop for 9it anti istrael thiung ...youre israeli ...some peep think ponly one side to these thing
  • Options
    soruyy pissed ...ther two sides ..8m pissed off with the anyit isreal stuff tell u mo sober.
  • Options
    ok typing slow ...two sides suffering ...israeluis get the grief as if they are inhuman ...uyes there is problems ...often fron is politicinns ...but israelye people trying to libve i give up sorry.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    And how the hell do you assess whether a company has shown support for Israel?
    Dunno tbh. I'm presuming they donate some of their proceeds to Israel.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Actually I did boycott M&S for a while because of their support of Israel.
    How does M&S support Israel?

And I wanna know why some people boycott Nandos too. I only just started to eat from Nandos, and its delicious. :yum:
  • Options
    sanitize wrote: »
    Dunno tbh. I'm presuming they donate some of their proceeds to Israel.

How does M&S support Israel?

By sustaining strong economical ties with Israel, by investing in Israeli produce and the like.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... people have more to lose if they're going to boycott Israeli products than what they seemingly have to gain.
    Important medication and computer technology has been developed and is being produced in Israel.
    I really would like to find out who would forego their cancer treatment cause they find it morally wrong to support the State of Israel.
  • Options
    By sustaining strong economical ties with Israel, by investing in Israeli produce and the like.

Avocados and dates wherever you buy them often seem to be Israeli. Ditto with stuff out of season like peppers and strawberries. I'm not really sure that M&S is any different to any other retailer providing fresh produce. (Although, I suppose M&S is highlighted by some because its founder was Jewish).
    I've said it before and I'll say it again... people have more to lose if they're going to boycott Israeli products than what they seemingly have to gain.
    Important medication and computer technology has been developed and is being produced in Israel.
    I really would like to find out who would forego their cancer treatment cause they find it morally wrong to support the State of Israel.

Absolutely. Boycotting Israeli healthcare and high tech would be ridiculous. Israel also imports a lot more from Britain than it exports here... A British academic boycott of Israel as well as being completely disgraceful in principle would hurt British academics too - already, various research foundations/academics around the world threatened to boycott Britain. Even Livingstone apparently values academic freedom over opposing Israel - he's spoken out against an academic boycott.
  • Options
    I wouldn't boycott a country, because it's never the government you're actually boycotting. I probably do have a habit of going for European stuff first though given the choice. Probably under the mistaken impression that it will do anything for Europe. But the number of packets you'd have to read to make a decision on what to buy is ridiculous. You'd never get out of the supermarket, and then when you did, there'd be someone outside criticising you for using the supermarket rather than the local shops that come with a free parking ticket.
  • Options
    The reason I boycotted Israel was because they (the establishment, government + armed forces + police) seem to have a penchant for murder.
  • Options
    I would boycott stuff if I a) felt the slightest semblance of a social conscience or b) wanted to become like those ghastly studenty hippy-fascists (like the ones who nearly ripped the Coke can out of my hand when Coke was the company-to-boycott-of-the-week once at Uni).

The way I see it, I've already raised over £500 for charity this year (reluctantly), I don't drive, I recycle stuff and switch lights off and that. I rekon I'm in Mother Nature's good books (apart from the 50+ flights I take a year...)