Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Company boycotts ?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Would be a good point, if it wasn't for the fact that you can buy FHM/Loaded/Maxim in Asda...
    Never suggested otherwise. I was talking about Wal Mart stores in the US.

That sanctimonious bullshit wouldn't be tolerated as easily in Britain, but since Asda was acquired by Wal Mart there have been a few incidents regarding union membership and changing working conditions for employees, no doubt generated by Wal Mart.
  • Options
    Aspartame wrote: »
    Morrisons are right stingy bastards to their staff.
    They also have some dubious rules for putting fresh/frozen stock back on the shelves after it has warmed through/defrosted/frozen/etc. That's not a particularly ethical reason, rather a "I don't want a tummy bug" one, and I'm sure other supermarkets are the same. Just look very carefully at food before you buy it, wash it well and make sure it's cooked through!

Oh and shyboy you'd find it difficult to get hold of an allottment anyway as the waiting lists are horrendous and there is a distinct lack of land left for growing stuff now as most of it has turned into flats :chin:
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Do you buy your veg or grow them?

Buy them... Though I plan to get an allotment this year, my mate got one pretty fast
  • Options
    I avoid McDonalds here and in every country I go to and with most restaurants I try to eat at Icelandic chains or private places rather than support the international franchises. Same when abroad, I try to go to local places rather than pick out the chains.

Then there's some places and products I avoid without it being official.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    I boycott Nestle and Coke. Both are also NUS policy, if that's relevant.

:lol: I don't think the NUS has boycotted Coke - although I know it's came up at conference in the past. I know our Union's pointless boycott of Coke just lapsed.

NUS and Student Unions' boycotts of Coke are all toothless - when NUS Services Limited is against a boycott and has a deal worth millions of pounds for serving Coke in Union bars...

I'm very passionate about supporting British farming. I try to buy organic, free range, etc and get meat/produce from the farm shop/farmer's market or Waitrose which is prob the best of the big supermarkets. At uni bit more restricted, with only a Tesco that's handy :( Although still try to stay organic, esp with milk... (if you've spoken to anyone who knows about dairy farming you'll know why...)

I avoid McDonalds, KFC, etc and kebab vans/fast food places selling stuff with shit quality meat produced with little regard for animal welfare.

I'd like to boycott most of the pharmaceutical companies but it's not really an option if you're ill. Although, I do make sure never to donate to one of their mouthpieces, Cancer Research UK.
  • Options
    ^ Actually, McDonalds isn't as bad for animal welfare than one would think and it does serve British beef as well as FSC sourced fish.

So eating there may be more sustainable and ethical than a normal take away, or eating in most places. It just comes under attack more because it is a big company.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    ^ Actually, McDonalds isn't as bad for animal welfare than one would think and it does serve British beef as well as FSC sourced fish.

So eating there may be more sustainable and ethical than a normal take away, or eating in most places. It just comes under attack more because it is a big company.

I'm sure some people have good intentions being anti-McDonalds but it makes me laugh when I've asked some of them whether they think McD's operates any differently than say Burger King and their lost for words. :lol:
  • Options
    Buy them... Though I plan to get an allotment this year, my mate got one pretty fast

A bit off subject, but I just had a look on my local council wesbite and it says "Usual size of an Allotment plot is 250m² - £12.65 p.a". 250m? Thats like a field?!

Quite fancy is as we have no earth in our back garden
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote: »
    I'm sure some people have good intentions being anti-McDonalds but it makes me laugh when I've asked some of them whether they think McD's operates any differently than say Burger King and their lost for words. :lol:
    They shouldn't be if they did their research. McDonalds is the largest distributor of toys in the world. Bigger than Lego, bigger than Mattel, bigger than Toys 'R Us. They have been conducting a very aggresive campaign aimed at children for decades. And worst of all, they have even bribed schools and presented them with 'free' nursery rhyme books- which by happy coincidence happen to contain 'updated' versions of popular tales that contain endless references to McDonalds.

They're a bunch of brainwashing cunts bent on poisoning us all from an early age and prepared to go to any lenghts, no matter how unethical, to get us to eat their shit products.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    They shouldn't be if they did their research. McDonalds is the largest distributor of toys in the world. Bigger than Lego, bigger than Mattel, bigger than Toys 'R Us. They have been conducting a very aggresive campaign aimed at children for decades. And worst of all, they have even bribed schools and presented them with 'free' nursery rhyme books- which by happy coincidence happen to contain 'updated' versions of popular tales that contain endless references to McDonalds.

They're a bunch of brainwashing cunts bent on poisoning us all from an early age and prepared to go to any lenghts, no matter how unethical, to get us to eat their shit products.

But thats the thing, so many people think MacDonald = Bad without actually knowing why. I can respect your reasoning, its the clueless ones that make me laugh.
  • Options
    While we're at it are McD's ethics that much worse/better than their rivals?
  • Options
    May I ask... Why Nandos?

bump as I'm also curious
  • Options
    While we're at it are McD's ethics that much worse/better than their rivals?

Without a doubt better. Ive worked in external affairs for mcd's. Im not saying McD are perfect but being the market leader they are scrutinised much more than their rivals.
  • Options
    bump as I'm also curious

I was also curious so I thought I'd find out if it was a common thing. I couldn't help but laugh when I found this.

Also pretty lulzy is the 'Violent Gang Hangouts' link on the left, which seems to be trying to somehow connect violence at Nando's restaurants with their "bad" adverts...
  • Options
    bump as I'm also curious

This thread is fifth for 'boycott nandos' on google!

Top is http://www.boycottnandos.com/
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    I was also curious so I thought I'd find out if it was a common thing. I couldn't help but laugh when I found this.

This caught my eye...

Gang Violence Hangout

Nandos Restaurants are becoming hangouts for violent gangs.

Perhaps the advertising campaigns conducted by Nandos are reaping their bitter harvest ?

All the events below happened in a Nandos Restaurant where gangs hang out and decided to settle scores.

Note the Nandos waitress in fear of her life from Gang retribution.

'Piri-piri chicken please and can you hang up my coat and Uzi'

:lol:
  • Options
    Now while there's nothing wrong in challenging sexism if it offends you, that website comes across as spoof witten by the Viz team.
  • Options
    Now while there's nothing wrong in challenging sexism if it offends you, that website comes across as spoof witten by the Viz team.

Indeed and it recommends 'better chicken' at KFC and Red Rooster...lol
  • Options
    Our textbooks at school had pepsi plastered all over them. *shrug* Pepsi still tastes naff.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    I try to boycott nestle but sometime's don't realise whatever I've bought is part of the nestle brand.
    I know! I'd been buying Buxton mineral water for years (local loyalty :p) but a couple of months ago realised the SU wasn't selling it, so I looked on the back of my bottle and found out it's now Nestle. So annoying!

Oh, ETA that I just found this video from Unite about Lil-lets. Not v. well acted, but quite interesting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_o3B-RZ72Q [A Period Drama - boycott Lil-lets]
  • Options
    I am anti-McDonalds because it's like an American invasion. I am anti the homogonisation of our streets and anti-shit food and also anti-bribing children to eat shit food.
  • Options
    I boycot BAE ...i refuse to buy any of my jet fighters from them ...can't buy the Chinese ones cos of bong ...what to do ...what to do.
  • Options
    I am anti-McDonalds because it's like an American invasion.

Do you want to explain your racism in greater detail?
  • Options
    I am anti-McDonalds because it's like an American invasion.
    And I notice you've just let the cat out of the bag. I suspect your hatred of this company is actually a front for anti-Americanism.
    I am anti the homogonisation of our streets and anti-shit food and also anti-bribing children to eat shit food.
    Last time I checked, McDonald's wasn't the only company in the world that made food that was marketed for kids. Look at the adverts on television any night of the week during a popular show - you'll see plenty of ads for fast food on, and the advertisers are fully aware that kids watch them.

Though I think we can both agree that McDonald's food is absolutely terrible.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Even worse during childrens TV. Fast food, yoghurts, chocolate, crisps. All targetted directly at kids.
  • Options
    It's impossible to boycott any major brands these days, particularly Nestle. Even the water cooler at my last work was Nestle, ffs.

I don't really boycott any brand as such. I try and avoid Subway and Costa, but only because they're naff rather than any great existential reason.

I am blessed that I work in town and have access to a great market. I get my fresh fruit and veg there, I get my meat there, I even get my coffee there from the Pumphrey's shop. Their instant coffee is made of win.
  • Options
    I'd hardly say stating that you don't want masses of shitty american crap pushed on you is being racist, especially considering the example given.
  • Options
    is american a race?
  • Options
    I boycott Somerfield as they operate under discriminating policy, and apparently don't see anything wrong with it. In the middle of a battle of them as it is.

Oh, and nothing major but I've boycotted the green grocer that had a Boycott Israel sign in its window.
  • Options
    is american a race?

Xenophobia and racism are interchangeable...