Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Company boycotts ?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    plus they are promoting it in areas where there is a lack of clean drinking water to make up their milk powder so babies often die that way as it needs to be sterile and these areas just dont have the means for that.
    A huge amount of bottlefed babies die in the third world that would probably have survived if they had been breastfed.
  • Options
    plus they are promoting it in areas where there is a lack of clean drinking water to make up their milk powder so babies often die that way as it needs to be sterile and these areas just dont have the means for that.
    A huge amount of bottlefed babies die in the third world that would probably have survived if they had been breastfed.

Plus if you don't breastfeed from the start your milk dries up and bingo you have an instant market of hungry children all needing some nice yummy nestle products. Even that itself is a crime to start with as breastmilk is better for the baby.

Its really just an evil evil tactic.

I boycot nestle and Tesco because they are evil scum - asda are also evil scum but not as evil and scummy as Tesco. The supermarkets with the best ethical policies are unsuprisingly the co-op and waitrose - i think - however i can't afford to shop in waitrose and there isn't one near me - though there is one being built which is very exciting - and the co-op is a tiny one but i do buy about 1/2 my food from there.

Sometimes - my friends and i go go Asda - just to remind ourselves to be thankfull that we don't actually have to shop there - it has to be one of the most depressing places on earth
  • Options

I know, but how far does Nestlé's responsibility go? I mean, they provide a product to be used when breast milk is not available, and if the product is used incorrectly is it their fault? I understand they have a duty of care, but how far does this extend? It's often the medical professionals who recommend infant formula to mothers who may be not taking in enough nutrients themselves, but the mothers may be illiterate and unable to read preparation instructions correctly.

I don't think it's a case of perfectly healthy mothers deciding not to breast feed and instead use baby formula, there are lots of iffy bits where it gets confusing if a baby becomes malnourished who is to blame.

I don't absolve Nestlé of their responsibility at all but don't think they're much worse than other companies, I think they get a disproportionate amount of stick because they're a big company - everyone loves to hate a big corporate entity.

Also, why are Nestlé singled out? Cow and gate do exactly the same, as do loads and loads of other companies. It's often painted as a black and white issue but it's not. Link - one person who actually went and inspected the Nestlé facilities in Africa with no agenda except to see the truth as far as I can see.
  • Options
    I really can't belive that you seem to think what they did/do was ok. You do have some strange views.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    No, I don't.

This is Capitalism. Company boycotts are silly little games played out which never matter, at all.

Companies won't fall because a small percentage of people don't buy thier stuff. There are far to many people who either A) don't care B) like the product and have no option C) wat? D) realise it is futile and the company doesn't care.

I dislike alot of companies, and thier practices, but see no real way of changing this, besides endless petitions or government telling the companies to change.
  • Options
    I really can't belive that you seem to think what they did/do was ok. You do have some strange views.

Sorry, where did I say that? Point out where I said it was ok. I said a lot of it was historical now, that the WHO drew up new guidelines, that they've cleaned up their act a fair bit - I say several times they are no angels - but now they're not much worse that many other companies, since there are many other companies out there doing exactly the same.

I don't like Nestlé for what they did. But most people won't look at it fairly, they just see 'baby killer' and refuse to believe anything else. That's not aimed at anyone in this thread, it's the population in general. Just like people see Tony Blair as a mass murderer, they refuse to believe anything else.

I don't see why people's views have to be so polarised, as it does more harm than good. People would only be satisfied with Nestlé if they closed up shop. They could stop selling baby formula altogether and let their rivals do it instead, but people would still hate the big corporate entity. That's often why so many companies end up changing their names, because even if they change their working practices people are quick to prejudice against one brand (justifiably or not) and very slow to accept they've changed.
  • Options
    whether it works or not, i dont like to give my money to companies that do evil things. Its about not having blood on your hands as much as anything (or as little blood as you can)
  • Options
    There are other formula manufacturers of course, but Nestlé are well known to have flouted the WHOs code of conduct with regards to their shameless harmful promotion tactics. They DO have responsibilty, especially since their tactics have included not having instructions on the tin in the local language and having their sales pepople dressed as health professionals
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    rachie004 wrote: »
    I boycott Nando's, McDonalds, Esso & BP. I try to boycott nestle but sometime's don't realise whatever I've bought is part of the nestle brand. Oh, Shere Kahn (is it called?) too

BP? Why BP?

Shere Kahn was a good character in the Jungle Book ;(
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    No, I don't.

This is Capitalism. Company boycotts are silly little games played out which never matter, at all.

Companies won't fall because a small percentage of people don't buy thier stuff. There are far to many people who either A) don't care B) like the product and have no option C) wat? D) realise it is futile and the company doesn't care.

I dislike alot of companies, and thier practices, but see no real way of changing this, besides endless petitions or government telling the companies to change.

To be fair, whilst there a very few campigns in the modern day with wide-spread support there is historical evidence of boycotts having massive success.

The civil rights movements boycott of bus services that enforced white only seating areas and national chain stores that support white and black seating and drinking fountains in Southern states brought about a massive change in the end.
  • Options
    Plus Nestle have tried in some what to address some of the issues highlighted by the Baby Milk Action campaign - and I think might even have donated some money to some breastfeeding stuff but i could be wrong....
  • Options
    This has really moved onto a debate now rather than a list of personal choices so I'm going shift it over.
  • Options
    I'd never buy Caterpillar shoes- and if I was in the business of buying bulldozers, I'd give Cats a miss too. Bunch of cunts :mad:

I don't refuel in Esso garages if I can help it, either.
  • Options
    I don't refuel in any esso/bp sorta garage. If I were richer Id probably fuel up in local stations...Also I fucking hate Currys with a passion. All due to some dumb blonde bitch who tried to belittle me due to the fact that her wanky company sold me a dodgy remote. Fuck Currys, and dixons for that matter! I think I just tend to boycott companies due to a bad experience with them more than anything!
  • Options
    Tesco
    Asda
    KFC
    Nestle
    Most cosmetics
    Body Shop
    Coca Cola
    Esso
    Kraft
    Any non-fairtrade product that I can get fair trade and/or organic
    Any animal products

Basically, if I don't like the practice of a company, I won't buy the products they make. It doesn't matter how much difference I make to the company as a whole, at least I'm not legitimising and contributing towards what they're doing by buying the product.

ETA: But then I near enough live off British grown vegetables and cook all my food from scratch, so it's easier.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    I boycott Nando's, McDonalds, Esso & BP. I try to boycott nestle but sometime's don't realise whatever I've bought is part of the nestle brand. Oh, Shere Kahn (is it called?) too

May I ask... Why Nandos?
  • Options
    Why Body Shop? Is that since its takeover or did you boycott beforehand?

Just interested.
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote: »
    Why Body Shop? Is that since its takeover or did you boycott beforehand?

Just interested.

Probably because of the Nestle >> L'Oreal connection.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Probably because of the Nestle >> L'Oreal connection.

:yes:

Whilst some people argue that in buying Nestle's fair trade or Body Shop (I think Nestle own around 25% of L'Oreal?) products encourage environmental and ethical best practice for them, I am dubious.
  • Options
    :thumb: My knowledge of the cosmestic industry is limited to say the least.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    (I think Nestle own around 25% of L'Oreal?)

Nestle have money to burn at the moment. Speculation is they are going for a much bigger chunk of L'Oreal.
  • Options
    I think we boycott nescafe, but not sure. For some reason we also boycott Asda (because it's owned by walmart and my wife doesn't like them).
  • Options
    I think we boycott nescafe, but not sure. For some reason we also boycott Asda (because it's owned by walmart and my wife doesn't like them).
    And she has very good grounds for it. Wal Mart is well known for its union-busting ways and explotation of its workers; not to mention its puritanical, idiotic and hypocritical refusal to stock such sinful material as lads mags or some left-wing publications or films due to the religious fundamentlist, ultra Republican leanings of its owners.

Selling gun publications (or even guns themselves!) however is perfectly okay. It's good to know the American people are being protected from being damned to Hell by catching a glance of the front cover of FHM as they make their way to their gun counter to kit themselves up for whatever massacre they are planning next
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    ETA: But then I near enough live off British grown vegetables and cook all my food from scratch, so it's easier.

Do you buy your veg or grow them?

I don't like a lot of British fruit / veg which sucks - citrus fruits. I've considered loads of times (I enjoy getting my hands mucky with a bit of gardening) getting an allotment plot, but because I'm in York 28 weeks of the year and Leicester the rest, I wouldn't be able to be properly committed.

I recommend everyone gets a strawberry bush though, they cost 39p and will give you in the region of 30 strawberries over the summer. Just get a grow bag or plant pot and pop it in. I love strawberries! You don't even need to do anything (keep the soil moist-ish), they're very resilient and native British berries so very happy with the climate as is.

Bit of a tangent, I've considered growing my own food as much as possible because economically it's so much cheaper than the shops these days. If only I was in one place for 12 months of the year!
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    And she has very good grounds for it. Wal Mart is well known for its union-busting ways and explotation of its workers; not to mention its puritanical, idiotic and hypocritical refusal to stock such sinful material as lads mags or some left-wing publications or films due to the religious fundamentlist, ultra Republican leanings of its owners.

Selling gun publications (or even guns themselves!) however is perfectly okay. It's good to know the American people are being protected from being damned to Hell by catching a glance of the front cover of FHM as they make their way to their gun counter to kit themselves up for whatever massacre they are planning next

Would be a good point, if it wasn't for the fact that you can buy FHM/Loaded/Maxim in Asda...
  • Options
    Would be a good point, if it wasn't for the fact that you can buy FHM/Loaded/Maxim in Asda...

I think he is referring to the modesty cover the supermarkets used to hide the front covers of FHM/ Maxim/ GQ etc.
  • Options
    Not in mine they don't.
  • Options
    I'm not sure my wife is boycotting it because they don't sell FHM :D
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »

You might not like it but ...surely they should be able to choose to do this if they wish so ...and people can choose not to shop there if they don't like it? I know a lot of you are in favour of total control over what we are allowed to believe and what we are allowed to do in and on our own premises but come on!
  • Options
    You might not like it but ...surely they should be able to choose to do this if they wish so ...and people can choose not to shop there if they don't like it? I know a lot of you are in favour of total control over what we are allowed to believe and what we are allowed to do in and on our own premises but come on!

Isn't that what a boycott is, isn't it? No-one forces us to avoid Asda - we do it because my wife thinks it's important and I don't care one way or the other