Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Company boycotts ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone boycott certain companies ?

Does anyone boycott a particular company ? I dont just mean you might dislike a certain company but does anyone actively boycott a company and all its products?

Just doing some research into quite a controversial company so interested to here what people have to say.

Cheers

:thumb:

Comments

• Options
    i refuse to shop in sainsbury's coz the made me redundant and were knobends about the process and i can't get a reference off them coz they have "lost my file"

does that count? :p

oh and my cousin refuses to eat any rowentree products. Something to do with something moral , *shrugs*, i'm not sure.
  • Options
    I very rarely shop at Tesco and I've never shopped at Asda because they are both fairly nasty companies who have a nasty habit of screwing small suppliers to make more profit.
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    I try to avoid Nestle quote]

Nestle are the company I'm interested in.

Can I ask why you boycott them, or no particular reason?
  • Options
    As for Esso, esso fuel is routinely found in BP and other stations, its basically along the lines of if you give me one tanker of fuel in an area where i dont have a deppo, i'll give you one in an area where you dont have a deppo!
  • Options
    You mean apart from their approach to baby milk in developing countries?

Details
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    As for Esso, esso fuel is routinely found in BP and other stations, its basically along the lines of if you give me one tanker of fuel in an area where i dont have a deppo, i'll give you one in an area where you dont have a deppo!

Eh ?
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Eh ?

Say BP garage is running out of fuel, and they dont have a deppo really close by, say its some kind of unknown truckers convention and they have sold way more than normal, when i say no deppo near by, i mean deppo with sufficient amounts of fuel

Ie esso truck might pop into the bp deppo and top it up, much as somewhere along the otherside of the country, a bp truck pulls in and tops up the esso deppo in return.

Ie you dont actually know who is supplying the actual fuel in your car!
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Say BP garage is running out of fuel, and they dont have a deppo really close by, say its some kind of unknown truckers convention and they have sold way more than normal, when i say no deppo near by, i mean deppo with sufficient amounts of fuel

Ie esso truck might pop into the bp deppo and top it up, much as somewhere along the otherside of the country, a bp truck pulls in and tops up the esso deppo in return.

I presume you mean depot rather than deppo otherwise your entire post makes no sense.
  • Options

Really, shit I always avoid Exxon/ Esso.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    I presume you mean depot rather than deppo otherwise your entire post makes no sense.

yes my spelling is for shit!
  • Options
    Certain people at work tried to get me to boycott Cadburys cos they were closing the factory down the road and loadsa jobs were going to Poland...i lasted about an hr :(

I can't be bothered with boycotting companies for ethical reasons. I have zero social conscience.
  • Options
    Fairtrade. Its a scam. Charging hundreds of pounds a year for the label isn't beneficial to small farmers in poor countries and its economically reckless; if everyone took it up it would eventually cause producers to get a lower price because of over supply.
  • Options
    Boycott

I try to boycott supermarkets that sell everything such as Tesco, Asda and Sainsburys because I have an independent shop and we are all under threat.
    One day soon there will be very little choice for consumers and hardly any competition.
  • Options
    bubbagoo wrote: »
    I can't be bothered with boycotting companies for ethical reasons. I have zero social conscience.

Same here! :angel:
  • Options

All the petrol comes from the same big depot. Remember the little crisis last year with contaminated fuel? Well that fuel was coming out of a beeeeg tank at the refinery and being collected by shell ...morrisons ...tesco ...i don't think you'd ever see a tanker with Shell in big letters on the side ...supplyinhg an esso garage.

i used to boycott nestle but gave up ...the company just kept on getting bigger and bigger.
    I now boycot plastic packaging.
    If i buy a telly ...i remove all the packaging in store and leave it politely on their floor ...same in supermarkets.
  • Options
    You mean apart from their approach to baby milk in developing countries?

Details

I try very hard to boycott nestle because of that reason, buts its not always possible.
  • Options
    Mandalena wrote: »
    I try to boycott supermarkets that sell everything such as Tesco, Asda and Sainsburys because I have an independent shop and we are all under threat.
    One day soon there will be very little choice for consumers and hardly any competition.

I was in Stockport on saturday. Went to the market ...it's gone! A huge market that has beenthere for 850 years ...gone.
    Theres a small indoor market still so i asked what had happened ...THe stallholders could no longer compete with the likes of tesco asda blah blah blah.
    Same story everywhere you go.
    Tesco has opened across Wales in some very small towns and villages. The latest that i know of is in a little market town called Ruthin.
    I tyried everything to get the people to throw out the plans at the local meetings ...i failed. I showed them what had happened to other small towns and villages across Wales ...i failed.
    Tesco promised they wouldn't open a pharmacy or cafe and they would of course provide lots of jobs.
    Two years down the line ...with a pharmacy and a cafe now open ...the village cake shop has bgone ...the off licience has closed ...the chemist has closed ...two of the villages three cafes have close ...the hardware shophas gone ...the three greengrocers have closed.
    The town is now slowly being boarded up and becoming derelict.
    It was a very beautiful town ...the tourists are bleeding away.
    Some people call it change ...some call it choice ...i think they are all insane.
  • Options
    i dont personally boycott nestle but a lot of students' union do - would be worth looking into their reasons if you're interested.
  • Options
    Fuck Tibet ...i'm having a Chinese takeaway tonight.
  • Options
    i boycott nestlé because of their unethical promotion of infant formula milk in the third world
  • Options
    I boycott Nestle and Coke. Both are also NUS policy, if that's relevant.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »

Nestle are the company I'm interested in.

Can I ask why you boycott them, or no particular reason?

My old student union at Leeds uni have Nestle banned, which I found annoying because it should be up to the individual which products they chose to buy. They also have a plaque outside the union banning a certain labour mp but I can't remember who...
  • Options
    Seems Nestle dont have many friends.

:chin:
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    I very rarely shop at Tesco and I've never shopped at Asda because they are both fairly nasty companies who have a nasty habit of screwing small suppliers to make more profit.

And are expensive too! I've found my local deli / grocer to be cheaper!

I don't boycott anyone actively though. Unless they're expensive. So no starbucks or anything like that, I refuse to pay £3 or so for a cup of hot chocolate.
  • Options
    I don't boycott any companies at all, for the simple reason that such a move would be pointless. Is a large, multi-national corporation going to suffer just because one person isn't happy with their tactics?

Not bloody likely. For example, there's talk here about Nestlé. Yet in the first half of 2007, they made a profit of £2.03bn, (according to BBC News Online) an increase of 18% on the previous year. So much for a boycott sending out a powerful message...
  • Options
    The campaign to boycott any products or companies which support Israel is quite popular, but not very practical because there are just too many companies to boycott.

Here's a small selection...

boycott2.jpg

No surprises that Nestle is on that list. Nestle was a very popular brand of mineral water in Pakistan the last time I went. I thought they only did chocolates.
  • Options
    sanitize wrote: »
    boycott2.jpg
    And how the hell do you assess whether a company has shown support for Israel?
  • Options
    And what is wrong with them doing so?
  • Options
    I'm boycotting the mall around here. First dippin dots goes and now my piercing place and the piercer is down in the city now. I don't have the patience to drive downtown. Screw them I'm not shopping there... until I need more pants because the other gap store is too small and carries pretty much nothing :p

I could say i boycot walmart for ethical and moral reasons... but in all honesty I don't shop there because its crowded and awful and a thousand times worse and more horrifying to go to than any grocery store. And target is much better.
  • Options
    sanitize wrote: »
    The campaign to boycott any products or companies which support Israel is quite popular, but not very practical because there are just too many companies to boycott.

Here's a small selection...

No surprises that Nestle is on that list. Nestle was a very popular brand of mineral water in Pakistan the last time I went. I thought they only did chocolates.

Actually I did boycott M&S for a while because of their support of Israel.

But their salads are just soooooooooooooo nice!

As for the Nestlé issue, it's slightly historical isn't it? They were advertising it as good for babies since the mother might not be taking in enough nutrients to give out good milk, WHO found babies were malnourished, they changed the legislation and since then they don't advertise it in the same way. They do give it to mothers in hospitals since when you're on antibiotics or whatever you can't give milk (I don't know exactly) and the criticism is that they know women will stop lactating if they're not feeding and be forced to use their product. I mean, tin foil hat anyone? Nestle are stopping women producing milk to sell their own product??

They're no angels, just like most companies (with a few exceptions :):heart: Honda) - but a lot of the stick they get these days is about things that happened in the past.