Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I protested today, did you?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    carlito wrote: »
    Which suggests that whilst we may not be directly perpetrating much of the shit that goes on in China and Tibet, we are heavily complicit it it...

Which isn't to say your position is hypocritical, but most of the people feeling so good for "speaking out" against the Chinese government are. If it weren't for internal repression of grassroots political/social/labour/environmental movements, and subjugation of neighbouring minorities/strategic territories (e.g. Tibet), our economy wouldn't have prospered as it has done over the last 15 years. We owe our prosperity to the subjugation of labour in China and elsewhere. As Orwell said:
    "The European peoples, and especially the British, have long owed their high standard of life to direct or indirect exploitation of the coloured peoples...mainly in Africa and Asia."

You're completely right, and I'd be a massive liar if I said I have never bought anything from China - I doubt you could find more than a handful of people who have.

As to the industrialisation of their country, that is a mixed bag. Much like with us conditions in factories were hideous and now seem to be gradually improving. People are getting richer which does give them more options.

But having said that it is still tightly controlled by the Party and freedoms are very restricted. And conditions in factories making legit goods may be improving but the black market there is thriving and conditions there are routinely dire.
  • Options
    So, am I to assume that those who object to this protest are ahppy with what China does? If not, are you protesting in another way?
  • Options
    Just to say about the Chinese economy, it's worth bearing in mind that China is in a vulnerable position to a certain degree. The Chinese government themselves are incredibly concerned that they don't really make 'Chinese' products - they mass-produce a huge amount of products for multi-national companies based in other countries. The vast profits generated tend to end in those companies pockets, not in China's economy.

There's no lack of alternative cheap labour - anything that sours the relationship between a country like the US and China could cause them major problems and further to that something like the Olympics is a very valid political vehicle either for protest or to confirm China as an equal to other major nations.

If the Olympics pass with little protest and great success I can't help feeling you'll see considerably less understanding of China's human rights records and far more people that just remember it as a nice country that can put on a good show...
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    There's no lack of alternative cheap labour - anything that sours the relationship between a country like the US and China could cause them major problems and further to that something like the Olympics is a very valid political vehicle either for protest or to confirm China as an equal to other major nations.

Some companies are already moving out, Cambodia is the new cheapest place to have a factory.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Can I ask why you have a problem with George Bush, are you American?

Personally I don't see some people I'm allowed to protest against and some I can't. I'm not sure if I should only be able to protest human rights abuses within a certain area, or people speaking a certain language?

Oh course China doesn't allow lots of rich middle class college students to make protest videos and post them to youtube - so the situation must be better there.

As to why I think China is a country that deserves to have its human rights records held to account - here's a start grabbed from the wikipedia page -

A total of 68 crimes are punishable by death in China; capital offenses include non-violent white-collar crimes such as embezzlement and tax fraud. The inconsistent and sometimes corrupt nature of the legal system in mainland China bring into question the fair application of capital punishment there.

In March 2006, allegations were made in the Falun Gong mouthpiece, the Epoch Times, of organ harvesting on living Falun Gong practitioners at the China Traditional Medicine Thrombosis Treatment Center, a Chinese joint-venture company in Sujiatun, Shenyang co-owned by Country Heights Health Sanctuary of Malaysia, and subject to oversight in Liaoning province.

According to two witnesses, internal organs of living Falun Gong practitioners have been harvested and sold, and the bodies have been cremated in the hospital's boiler room. The witnesses allege that no prisoner comes out of the Centre alive, and that six thousand practitioners have been held captive at the hospital since 2001, two-thirds of whom have died to date.

Incidents of torture, forced confessions and forced labour are widely reported. Freedom of assembly and association is extremely limited. The most recent mass movement for political freedom was crushed in the Tiananmen Square Massacre in 1989, the estimated death toll of which ranges from about 200 to 10,000 depending on sources.

An article in The Washington Times, reported in 2000 that although migrants laborers play an important part in spreading wealth in Chinese villages, they are treated "like second-class citizens by a system so discriminatory that it has been likened to apartheid." Another author making similar comparison is Anita Chan, in which she furthers that China's household registration and temporary residence permit system has created a situation analogous to the passbook system in apartheid South Africa, which were designed to regulate the supply of cheap labor.

Seven distinct elements give rise to what is described as "the regime of spatial and social apartheid" which keeps rural Chinese in their subordinate status:

The repressive regime at the factory level;
    the paramilitary forces at local level;
    the ?local protectionism? of local governments;
    the fiercely pro-business and pro-government attitude of the local press;
    the fiercely pro-business and pro-government attitude of the branches of ACFTU;
    pro-government local courts; and
    the discriminatory hukou system.

Worker's rights and privacy are other contentious human rights issues in China. There have been several reports of core International Labor Organization conventions being denied to workers. One such report was released by the International Labor Rights Fund in October 2006 documenting minimum wage violations, long work hours, and inappropriate actions towards workers by management. Workers cannot form their own unions in the workplace, only being able to join State-sanctioned ones. The extent to which these organizations can fight for the rights of Chinese workers is disputed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_the_People's_Republic_of_China

Yes ...and i'm sure theres more. America England or fucking Birmingham council ...not mentioned for any other reason than ...why China ...is it cos it's fashionable ...the hot potatoe at the moment or ...cos he has a personal connection.
  • Options
    I have nothing against bong or anyone else protesting but i do believe they are wasting their time ...i believe they are protesting too late and to the wron ...do i realy need to say all this again?
    It comes across in a bit of a condescending manner when the title thread is ...i protested did you ...it could have read ...did anyone else.
    If i find it a bit smug ...a bit condescending ...then i'm going to debate the motives ...or are we all supposed to nod politely now and just agree?
    See it's fine to protest about these human rights abuses but is it then fine to stand to one side and watch someone get a good beating from the old bill ...other thread ...cos it then hgets a bit hypocritical ...i'll wave my arms about and shout ...but i aint going to realy get involved.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    As I said, if you done it properly like protested outside the Chinese embassey then it would look like you really cared. To me, it looked like a load of idiots who tried to spoil the Olympics.

Agreed, trying to put out the flame will have achieved precisely nothing. The flame is a symbol of the olympics, not the country hosting it.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    The flame is a symbol of the olympics, not the country hosting it.
    And i'l say it one more time ...the olympic comittee are the ones who should be getting the fla k ...they chose an odius nation hoping it would change them. What they should have done and made clear to all the other scumbag leaders out there ...change ...and we will consider giving you the olympics.
    So go and stamp your feet and wave your arms outside their office ...outside their houses ...to stop them from making decisions like this in the future.
    China is just a nation climbing out of a dark pit called the past.
  • Options
    well at least budda is doing something which is more than the rest of us, i agree you won't get a better chance to raise awareness of the issues and that's the whole point. i'm glad the french have followed suit, can't wait to see what san fran have planned..
  • Options
    Agreed, trying to put out the flame will have achieved precisely nothing. The flame is a symbol of the olympics, not the country hosting it.

who decided where the olympics should be held, the organisers, who also stated it'd help improve china's state of human rights in allowing it to happen
  • Options
    who decided where the olympics should be held, the organisers, who also stated it'd help improve china's state of human rights in allowing it to happen

To be fair, when did the olympic comittee pick China? It was at least 5 years ago. When was the first time most of us heard about Tibet? Few months ago? I bet the Chinese kept it all very quiet when the comittee were picking who to host the games.
  • Options
    To be fair, when did the olympic comittee pick China? It was at least 5 years ago. When was the first time most of us heard about Tibet? Few months ago? I bet the Chinese kept it all very quiet when the comittee were picking who to host the games.

Mate, if you heard about Tibet a few months ago then you've pretty much proved to me the value of every protest against the Olympics in China and against the Olympic torch.

Seriously, a few months ago?

Please tell me you've at least heard of what happened in Tiananmen Square
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    No and I think all those involved were very stupid and naive. What's attacking the torch going to achieve ffs?

Exactally.

I remember hte olympics being about Unity and overcoming division and conflict. North/South Korean athletes etc.

This was honestly, IMHO, a pointless venture. Why not put your efforts into doing something, like, I dunno, protesting or petitioning the Government about sanctions on China? Reducing our dependance on Chinese trade? Things that, you know, might Achieve something?

Also as for people not hearing about Tibet until recently, well, how many people could place Tibet on a map? Let's be honest, this IS NOT an issue which validates these protests. It is an issue of eduction and making the vast majority of twunts in this country sit up and take notice of world political events.
  • Options
    See it's fine to protest about these human rights abuses but is it then fine to stand to one side and watch someone get a good beating from the old bill ...other thread ...cos it then hgets a bit hypocritical ...i'll wave my arms about and shout ...but i aint going to realy get involved.

So if I'd jumped in and got beaten up as well then my protest would have been ok?
  • Options
    Chinese state TV said the protesters in London and Paris were a "handful of Tibetan separatists".

Does that make bong an honorary Tibetan?

Although having looked at China in some depth, it's far better if we get close to them and influence them internally (as is already happening, albeit slowly) than shut them off and alienate them. For some quick and nasty evidence of this, look at the middle east. Some countries we make friends with even if they have a shit record on human rights have started cleaning up their act. Some countries we said were evil etc. and had 'weapons of mass destruction' become alienated (can't think of the proper word) and become a rogue state, increasingly funding their own defence spending etc.

I mean just think of a nasty dog. The way to teach it how to behave is by being patient, positive reinforcement when it does something right and the cold shoulder when it does something wrong. Not beating it over the head with a stick until it starts miraculously behaving.

If we look at China, most of the population still lives in rural areas. However the socioeconomic landscape is changing incredibly quickly. Their 'real income' on average doubles every 10 years, access to information is increasing, there is increasing dissent and questioning inside China about the 'right' way to run the country.

I mean what do people expect China to say. 'Oh ok then, we're going to stop being horrible now'? China is moving forwards, that doesn't help the plight of the tibetans now but I doubt extinguishing the olympic torch does either.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Does that make bong an honorary Tibetan?

Although having looked at China in some depth, it's far better if we get close to them and influence them internally (as is already happening, albeit slowly) than shut them off and alienate them. For some quick and nasty evidence of this, look at the middle east. Some countries we make friends with even if they have a shit record on human rights have started cleaning up their act. Some countries we said were evil etc. and had 'weapons of mass destruction' become alienated (can't think of the proper word) and become a rogue state, increasingly funding their own defence spending etc.

I mean just think of a nasty dog. The way to teach it how to behave is by being patient, positive reinforcement when it does something right and the cold shoulder when it does something wrong. Not beating it over the head with a stick until it starts miraculously behaving.

If we look at China, most of the population still lives in rural areas. However the socioeconomic landscape is changing incredibly quickly. Their 'real income' on average doubles every 10 years, access to information is increasing, there is increasing dissent and questioning inside China about the 'right' way to run the country.

I mean what do people expect China to say. 'Oh ok then, we're going to stop being horrible now'? China is moving forwards, that doesn't help the plight of the tibetans now but I doubt extinguishing the olympic torch does either.

If you are suggesting destabilising China through infiltration, or cultural force, that may work. Western Culture destabilised the USSR (Although, it hardly improved the situation for most Russians, but temporarily removed Russia as a world super power, which I guess was a kindof Victory because it stopped it ruling over a ton of other countries. Which are now mostly up shit creek). But if you are suggesting we try to befreind and influence China, that will NOT WORK. The Mid Eatern countries you refer to are not the second world super power. Not even close. They also don't have the world largest armed forces to back them up. China is too powerful - people befreind China because then they have a friend with mass influence and power - and don't mind this security if China wants al ittle say in what they do. People don't befriend China to change China. Russia is losing influence with China and the two nations, formerly quite close, whilst still putting on a smiley face, are growing more distant. China cares not for what other nations think if she is willing to distance herself from Russia.

We can destabilise China from inside - we will not influence her - we can only cause dissent in the ranks - which will inevitably mean we get alot of people killed in doing so - is this worth the cost of crashing a huge economic world player? Think - if we do it - will there REALLY be any benefit? One can hardly say Putin is more Liberal than the fromer Soviet dictators - and the Crime caused in Russia - which now dominates world crime - do we need a Chinese Mafia too? The world economy, broken - I don't think, any way we look at it - removing the Chinese system will help.
  • Options
    But they're the same thing aren't they? If we become friends with China, more Chinese people will come to us as tourists, we will go there as tourists, we become closer, the US president can go golfing with the communist party, have some expensive brandy or something, share ideas, talk.

It won't happen overnight, but it's over time. Many people understandably want us to denounce China and block all exports / imports, nuke them or whatever. People get upset, and want a reaction. Unfortunately that would only be counter productive (as we saw in Northern Ireland, no?). The best way forward would to be 'like hippies' as I like to think about it. Realise we're the same. Same people, same humans, same wants, desires out of life. Same love for our family, pride of our heritage.

Just like we are with Iraq and Afghanistan, although the average joe probably thinks of them as stinking terrorists. The olympics puts pressure on China as it is, to show it's not barbaric under the gaze of the world. Why do people want to shout and get angry at the olympics?

That's just my perspective of it, that in order to change China's ways the best way is to become closer to them, as culturely and social homogenity follows political closeness.
  • Options
    hippies dont have huge armies and hoards of nukes.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    The olympics puts pressure on China as it is, to show it's not barbaric under the gaze of the world. Why do people want to shout and get angry at the olympics?

No, the olympics in reality dont put any pressure on China to do anything different. In fact because of the olympics they have been kicking thousands of people out of their homes to make way for stadiums etc.

What does make an impact is while the spot light is on them the world is shown a different view point, is shown what China is really like rather than the image they want to project.

I dont want trade sanctions, and I certainly dont want nukes or the military. I want China embarressed by the games, I would love all the world leaders to decide not to attend the opening ceremony, that would be non-violent but a very stark message.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    No, the olympics in reality dont put any pressure on China to do anything different. In fact because of the olympics they have been kicking thousands of people out of their homes to make way for stadiums etc.

What does make an impact is while the spot light is on them the world is shown a different view point, is shown what China is really like rather than the image they want to project.

I dont want trade sanctions, and I certainly dont want nukes or the military. I want China embarressed by the games, I would love all the world leaders to decide not to attend the opening ceremony, that would be non-violent but a very stark message.

I will be honest, what are the chances?

With big countries like America and Europe often practicing things as bad as China, just not on such a grand scale, lets be honest...

No-one with any serious influence will boycott.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    I will be honest, what are the chances?

With big countries like America and Europe often practicing things as bad as China, just not on such a grand scale, lets be honest...

No-one with any serious influence will boycott.

The chances are obviously higher now because of the protests (granted they are still low).

France is talking about not attending, and Clinton has urged Bush not to go - so it is an issue which is being raised.
  • Options
    The chances are obviously higher now because of the protests (granted they are still low).

France is talking about not attending, and Clinton has urged Bush not to go - so it is an issue which is being raised.

exactly and the issue being raised (in public rather than private) is a good consolation
  • Options

I doutb America will boycott after they missed the Soviet Olympics.

France is a pointless country, which very few people even take notice of due to thier huge historical histroy of failing.

I only admire them for a few things. None of which give internation influence, except possibly over Britain in about 40 years. As they have huge amounts of Nuclear Power.
  • Options
    I doutb America will boycott after they missed the Soviet Olympics.

France is a pointless country, which very few people even take notice of due to thier huge historical histroy of failing.

I dont think anyone is talking about either France, the US or another country pulling out of the games, just that their leaders wont attend the opening ceremony.

Even the fact that some world leaders are discussing it is highly embarressing for the Chinese.
  • Options
    And I doubt the Chinese care. It will still bring massive income to thier economy, they don't have to worry about paying off the people they have relocated or made homeless, and it will be a wonderful spectacular show of Chinese ability as I don't doubt the cereomony will be hugely over the top and extravagant.

Wonder if they will have a Military Parade too? Those are always good. I sadly doubt it, but it would be GREAT TV.

I love watching Russian documentaries from thier channels on thier Military. Why don't we have these?

Anyway, back on topic, I honestly doubt China will give 2 flying fucks if some World Leaders don't attend. It won't stop people going to the games, it won't stop anything really. A little Political Turmoil. China has delt with worse under Mao.
  • Options
    Clinton putting pressure on bush ...has nothing whatsoever to do with China Tibet or anything remotely connected with the world outside of American electioneering.
    Attending a protest with like minded people ...yes i would expect you to jump in to help an injured person at some risk to yourself ...i think it's called solidarity.
  • Options
    Anyway, back on topic, I honestly doubt China will give 2 flying fucks if some World Leaders don't attend. It won't stop people going to the games, it won't stop anything really. A little Political Turmoil. China has delt with worse under Mao.

I get the impression they do, they are sending out spokesmen now, something they have never done in the past. Granted they are almost uniformally rubbish but it does mark a definite change in their attitude towards PR.
  • Options
    Attending a protest with like minded people ...yes i would expect you to jump in to help an injured person at some risk to yourself ...i think it's called solidarity.

Well thats a lesson learnt for me, if I knew he would feel better if I was beaten up next to him I would have gladly jumped in.
  • Options
    Well thats a lesson learnt for me, if I knew he would feel better if I was beaten up next to him I would have gladly jumped in.

:yeees:
  • Options
    Well it seems the protests may have done something after all, Brown has said that he's not going to attend the opening ceremony, something he said he would only a week ago.