Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I protested today, did you?

I was out shouting and generally making my views about Chinas human rights record known. Anyone else get involved?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No, but its a shame that they didn't hit that smug bitch off Blue Peter a bit harder.

Did you see her wanking on about it on the news tonight? Stupid cow.
  • Options
    No and I think all those involved were very stupid and naive. What's attacking the torch going to achieve ffs?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    No and I think all those involved were very stupid and naive. What's attacking the torch going to achieve ffs?

I somewhat agree. I don't see the olympics as the best way to prosted against China.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    I somewhat agree. I don't see the olympics as the best way to prosted against China.

Yep, the Olympics are all about peace and all nations coming together being united in sport. And these people think the best way to protest against China's human record is to attack those values. :chin:
  • Options
    I think if you're going to protest against China the best way would be outside their embassy and buisness interests. Attacking a global symbol like the olympic torch has just pissed a lot of people off, diverted attention away from the real issues, and got the protestors precisely nowhere, except to make China look innocent in all of this.
  • Options
    The sad part of all protesting against China, whether it is by targetting the Olympic torch or protesting outside the embassy, is that the average Chinese person is extremely unlikely to ever hear about it.
  • Options
    Are they having a protest next week about the way our police handled it?
    And are all those of you who do protest by shouting and waving your arms about ...going to stop buying Chinese goods?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Yep, the Olympics are all about peace and all nations coming together being united in sport. And these people think the best way to protest against China's human record is to attack those values. :chin:

Yep.

But then whether you think it's the most effective way to protest or not, Budda's done more than me (and I suspect you) in trying to make a difference.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    well done Budda, its important that as much negative attention as possible is directed toward the actions of China in Tibet.

You did good.
  • Options
    well done Budda, its important that as much negative attention as possible is directed toward the actions of China in Tibet.

You did good.

All the negative attention in the world won't make a blind bit of difference. I repeat, why attack the torch?
  • Options
    We can't even put our own house in order ...people in here support illegal invasions and the killing and maiming of thousands of innocent people ...even planning to go and vote for these war criminals!
    Remove the beam from your own eye before you contemplate removing a speck from the eyes of a Chinaman ...
  • Options
    All the negative attention in the world won't make a blind bit of difference. I repeat, why attack the torch?

Name another symbol which would be so rich at the moment...
  • Options

You did good.
    China have been in Tibet a long time and as China has slowly changed ...so is the situation in Tibet. Huge ammounts of money have been given to individuals ...not councils like they would here ...to buy and to build and to renovate. The Tibetan people probably have it better now education and health wise than EVER ...ever before.
  • Options
    I'm far too involved in my own life to get involved with anything like that, seriously. Today I have doen four loads of washing, am still writing a uni essay. Have to pack luchboxes, do uniforms for the morning, need to tidy my kitchen, dealing with bills and books and work, having a dance lesson,walking a dog, comforting a friend, and my work ain't finished yet. I'm not complaining, that's just how things are. If I put off just one of the things I had to do today for another day in order to go protest, tomorrow would be impossibly busy as I have as many if not more things to do then, my whole life would just spiral into a bit of a mess tbh. Forgive me for not being involved in the world, I would care, but I don't have time. Is that incredibly selfish, small minded and short sighted of me?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I'm far too involved in my own life to get involved with anything like that, seriously. Today I have doen four loads of washing, am still writing a uni essay. Have to pack luchboxes, do uniforms for the morning, need to tidy my kitchen, dealing with bills and books and work, having a dance lesson,walking a dog, comforting a friend, and my work ain't finished yet. I'm not complaining, that's just how things are. If I put off just one of the things I had to do today for another day in order to go protest, tomorrow would be impossibly busy as I have as many if not more things to do then, my whole life would just spiral into a bit of a mess tbh. Forgive me for not being involved in the world, I would care, but I don't have time. Is that incredibly selfish, small minded and short sighted of me?
    No it is not selfish. Guess what? The people in Tibet can't be arsed to protest about our illegal invasions and maiming andkillings cos ...they are doing exactly what your doing.
    Bong has obviously got a lot more free time on his hands than most.
  • Options
    Can't be arsed?

You are having a fucking laugh Mr Roll.
  • Options
    Can't be arsed?

You are having a fucking laugh Mr Roll.
    ?
  • Options
    The people in Tibet "can;t be arsed" you said.

You must be joking. Aren;t allowed, don;t have access to information etc... don;t you think that they have bigger problems?
  • Options
    The people in Tibet "can;t be arsed" you said.

You must be joking. Aren;t allowed, don;t have access to information etc... don;t you think that they have bigger problems?
    The biggest problems facing your average Tibetan in the morning are...

Seriously.
  • Options
    At the risk of being cyncial it doesn't do a thing - you think China's going to suddenly turn round and say 'Look the London Middle Class are wrestling wiith some peelers over the Olympic Torch - let's introduce democracy.'

The only thing which makes a difference is boots on the ground, and we're not going to invade China...

Still I suppose it gave the plod some exercise and made some people feel better, so I can't see the harm.
  • Options
    At the risk of being cyncial it doesn't do a thing - you think China's going to suddenly turn round and say 'Look the London Middle Class are wrestling wiith some peelers over the Olympic Torch - let's introduce democracy.'

The only thing which makes a difference is boots on the ground, and we're not going to invade China...

By boots on the ground ...do you mean force people to take up democracy at gun point ...do it or we kill you kind of democracy?
  • Options
    Aren;t allowed, don;t have access to information etc... don;t you think that they have bigger problems?
    Having less information than you and me is now a huge social problem is it?
    Aren't allowed? Surely the authorities would love to see the Tibetans protesting about England and America?
  • Options
    What the fuck's the problem? Some people want to protest at a country with appauling human rights parading through our capital going "look how great we are," which is essentially what the parade is. Of course it puts political pressure on China. Or at least puts political pressure on leaders of Western countries to address human rights issues with China more strongly. And China relies as much on the West as the West relies on China. If China are going to use the Olympics as a political and nationalistic tool, which they clearly are, then it's only right that they should have their full dirty laundry out for all to see with demonstrations like this.
  • Options
    If China are going to use the Olympics as a political and nationalistic tool, which they clearly are, then it's only right that they should have their full dirty laundry out for all to see with demonstrations like this.
    The olympics are always and only ever used for such a purpose by governments.
    China is still recovering from Mr Mao. It is making huge changes on an almost daily basis. As these changes unfold they bring about more change. It cannot and will not happen overnight.
    Will you be protesting at the London olympics about our human rights abuses and asking people around the world to support you?
  • Options
    Yes attacking the torch is pretty stupid and doesnt achieve anything, but you know what is even more stupid and doesnt acheieve anything even more, the torch itself! What a waste of time and money.
  • Options
    The olympics are always and only ever used for such a purpose by governments.
    Well then they are a legitimate target for protests regarding that government's policies. I don't buy into this "keep politics out of sport" bullshit. It would be good in theory, but if one group is going to use it to promote their political aims, then the opposing group has every right to use the same event to promote their's.
    China is still recovering from Mr Mao. It is making huge changes on an almost daily basis. As these changes unfold they bring about more change. It cannot and will not happen overnight.
    When you say recovering from Mr. Mao, are you sure you don't mean carrying on the project that he started? The man's still considered a hero in China. Which changes are these? Economic changes, certainly. But none in the way of human rights. But maybe we should ask Google what new ways the Chinese government oppresses it's people. Though in fairness, that's more of an application of new technology to allow the same restrictions on free speech.
    Will you be protesting at the London olympics about our human rights abuses and asking people around the world to support you?
    I can't predict 4 years from now, but if our government happened to be involved in human rights abuses, then I wouldn't have a problem with people wanting to protest.
  • Options
    Well then they are a legitimate target for protests regarding that government's policies. I don't buy into this "keep politics out of sport" bullshit. It would be good in theory, but if one group is going to use it to promote their political aims, then the opposing group has every right to use the same event to promote their's.

When you say recovering from Mr. Mao, are you sure you don't mean carrying on the project that he started? The man's still considered a hero in China. Which changes are these? Economic changes, certainly. But none in the way of human rights. But maybe we should ask Google what new ways the Chinese government oppresses it's people. Though in fairness, that's more of an application of new technology to allow the same restrictions on free speech.

I can't predict 4 years from now, but if our government happened to be involved in human rights abuses, then I wouldn't have a problem with people wanting to protest.
    How can it be a continuation of mao ...he was deindustrializing.
    Massive changes in life style ...on the kind of scale we had with the first industrial revolution. they are going through an industrial revolution now.
    With these huge changes will come changes in human rights ...just as it did for us. The olympic commity have said that the great firewall of China ...which stops the free flow of the internet ...will have to come down before the olympics so that the worlds media can function. Once it's down it is very doubtful it will ever be able to go up again.
    Reality is what is changing the face of China ...not some comfy middle class western kids shouting and waving their arms about.
    What troubles me is the selective nature of political protests. What about the human rights abuses of Suadi Arabia ...i'm going to stop there ...i'm sure you know how long the list is to choose from.
    Reality is what changes things. The reality on the ground for the people involved. Not what is fashionable to protest about this season.
  • Options
    Read this on another site, did you know the whole idea of the torch and the 5 rings symbol was invented by the Nazis for the 1936 Berlin Olympics? Madness!
  • Options
    I protested because otherwise this would be another chance for China to say loudly how lovely it is and how its not a serious human rights abuser.

If any other country with its record were holding the olympics I would be doing the same.
  • Options
    Read this on another site, did you know the whole idea of the torch and the 5 rings symbol was invented by the Nazis for the 1936 Berlin Olympics? Madness!

I don't think that they were 'invented' by the Nazis as such but they did use them for their Third Reich propaganda.