Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Wedding Dress Thread

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Future husband - if you are reading, STOP NOW!

Anyhoo, as you may or may not know, I'm getting married in September, and I know there are other ladies here with impending nuptials, and also a lot without who just like to look at weddingy things, so I thought it might be fun to have a thread about wedding dresses. Cause at the moment I have no chuffing clue what I'm doing!

My biggest problem at the moment is that 99.9% of dresses are strapless, and I don't really want strapless, cause I'll be hitching it up and feeling all uncomfortable all day, and that's the last thing I want. But all the dresses with straps tend to be really frumpy, and I don't want that either! And then all the ones that are strapped and lovely are about £3000! Argh!

Anyhoo, post away ideas for your dresses or for mine. Include pictures! :hyper:

Comments

• Options
    Ooh I could see you making your own! Not fancy that?

Im not even thinking about a dress for me til I've lost weight :/
  • Options
    I will be doing exactly that if I can't find owt I like in the next few weeks. It's not my first choice cause it's sooo labour intensive, and it'd be hard to keep a secret with other half in the next room.
  • Options
    This is my current fave:

Watters25Feb.JPG

Although Im not mad keen on the back.
  • Options
    I don't really want strapless, cause I'll be hitching it up and feeling all uncomfortable all day, and that's the last thing I want.

Damn, I wanted to use this picture so badly :(

worst-ever.jpg

Do you know what sort of colour you're going for? I've always wanted a wedding dress with colour.
  • Options
    Monsoon!

My mum is taking me to look at wedding dresses in Milton Keynes on Thursday, not that we're buying one as I'm not getting married until next summer. I'm considering hiring one as well; I'm not fussed about keeping it really.
  • Options
    Glittery wrote: »
    This is my current fave:

Watters25Feb.JPG

that is so pretty!

kaff what about a kinda off the shoulder one..would that work?
  • Options
    http://www.monsoon.co.uk/invt/25202541
    That's the one I like at the moment but I don't know if it would suit me as it looks a bit floaty.
    I also don't want a strapless dress as it would fall down/me pop out and I'd have too much of a shoulder/arm expanse which would look better broken up with straps. PLUS there is no way I could not wear a bra!
  • Options
    sbpage19.jpgI love the one on the right, although I think it would look better if it was more fitted.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    Damn, I wanted to use this picture so badly :(

I don't have much of a belly. What do you reckon about the same idea but with exposed bum cheeks instead? And straps. Gotta have straps.
    Do you know what sort of colour you're going for? I've always wanted a wedding dress with colour.

I really want it to be ivory with a smidge of olivey green. Maybe a green sash, or a green underlayer or something.
  • Options
    My sis is getting married in Sept this year and, despite being busty (think G cups!), she's gone for a strapless dress. The one she's gone for also has a stole with it - it's only about 30cms wide but 3mtrs long - and the bridal shop are going to use it to make straps for the dress. I think they are going to be wider on the shoulder but thinner where they meet the dress front and back. Will see on 5th April when she gets to try her own dress on for the first time! (ordered it in October last year).

Anyway, that was my roundabout way of saying you could get straps added to a dress.. your own twist on it!

Edit: Found a piccie! http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?keywordText=grace&keywordType=any&page=0&pageSize=8&style=J857
  • Options
    kaff what about a kinda off the shoulder one..would that work?

Possibly, although probably not first choice. I've seen ones I love that either have teeny cap sleeves, or halternecks, they're just mucho expensivo :(
  • Options
    What do you reckon about the same idea but with exposed bum cheeks instead? And straps. Gotta have straps.

Absolutely, get the groom to do the same, it'll give the guests something additional to look at during the service, and puts a new edge on the phrase, 'honeymoon'
    I really want it to be ivory with a smidge of olivey green. Maybe a green sash, or a green underlayer or something.

Sounds lovely :yes:
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    Absolutely, get the groom to do the same, it'll give the guests something additional to look at during the service, and puts a new edge on the phrase, 'honeymoon'

Maybe I could have 'baby got back' played as i walk down the aisle?
  • Options
    :lol:
  • Options
    http://www.disneybridal.com/fall2008/bridal/bridalindex.html?princess=ariel

i like that one ^ (a282)

disney dresses..probably a zillion pounds but it looks ok for inspiration..disney theme is a bit sappy but aw
  • Options
    The Disney ones are gorgeous.
  • Options
    Actually all mine are shit. :grump:
  • Options
    Glittery wrote: »
    This is my current fave:

Watters25Feb.JPG

I love that but I'd rather it didn't have the pattern.
  • Options
    I love this one but I'm afraid it's strapless.
  • Options
    I'll marry my future wife in stockings and suspenders!!
    that means: she wears them, not me!
  • Options
    I've already got the name of the designer who's going to be my bridal gown designer; Chantal Mallet. This is the sort of thing I'll be wearing. It's amazingly named Elizabeth Which is also my name haha.

Eta; I also adore this one called Damsel
  • Options
    hehe this thread has reminded me of when i planned my wedding when i was about 8, i wanted a blue fitted dress with a big skirt and butterflies! I had that pic on my wall for ages!!

I love the disney 1s, especially the cinderella 1s :D
  • Options
    I really like this one, but it'd set me back the best part of £1000, and no dress is that nice. May copy it if I can't find a cheaper alternative!
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote: »
    I really like this one, but it'd set me back the best part of £1000, and no dress is that nice. May copy it if I can't find a cheaper alternative!

how much would you be willing to pay?

you could buy a dress from over seas and then (as you have said you can sew) take it in if its not perfect. because of the high exchange rate of england you could probably get a really good deal for a designer dress, thats only if you would be willing to buy a dress without seeing it :confused:

for example there is a designer i know of called jane yeh who is super expencive for us but could be 1000pounds for you (i know thats still expencive but X3 and thats how much it is for us)
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I know this isn't really gonna help you Kaff, but since we're looking at wedding dresses this is the one a close friend of mine is wearing in July - cute isn't it 471a.jpg
  • Options
    I am totally in love with these dresses http://www.candyanthony.com/

I may have to get married again / hold a 50's style party just to have an exuse to buy myself one as they are so expensive - but also something i recon you could get copied easily.
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    I know this isn't really gonna help you Kaff, but since we're looking at wedding dresses this is the one a close friend of mine is wearing in July - cute isn't it 471a.jpg

that one is lovely, who made it?