Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Wedding Dress Thread

Comments

• Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    That is beautiful :heart: I love the sash too.

:yes:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote: »

I also really like the red and white one that FireFly posted...I'm determined if/when I ever get married my dress will be partly or entirely red.

I seem to remember Splodgey had a lovely dress with red in it - am I right?
  • Options
    I demand wedding photos from everyone who has got hitched so I can go all gooey!!
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote: »
    Yeah, me too. I don't want to get married just yet - but I do want to wear one those dresses :D

I am actually toying with the idea, I want the dress and party but have hairy arm pits so I doubt I'll find a man to wanna tie the knot, an anti-wedding would be very SJP.
  • Options
    Sjp?
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote: »
    Sjp?

22_sjp_lgl.jpg??
  • Options
    Linky to wedding photos

Because i'm too lazy to go through and save them and then upload them here

I demand everyone else posts thiers now!
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    Linky to wedding photos

:heart:
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    Linky to wedding photos

ooooooo!! i love your furry white jacket, you look really beautiful!
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    22_sjp_lgl.jpg??
    :lol: :thumb:

Yes, katralla, that would be very SJP!! Anti-wedding is where it's at :thumb:
  • Options
    I'm getting married in December.

I'm having my dress designed and made (not as expensive as it sounds!) because I've always wanted red and the shops couldn't cater :( My inspiration for my dress is from Hollywood Dreams and I love dresses like these:

Dress 1
    Dress 2

However, I don't have 3k to spend on a dress, and I don't like the poofyness of the skirt, so I'm going for a simple red dress with sweetheart neckline and A-line skirt with small train. Maybe some sparkle on the corset style bodice!
  • Options
    firefly - where on earth did u get that top picture from? the red+white dress. its stunning and i LOVE it! a link or name of designer wud be great

Well it is an image I saved last year, I think it was from the http://www.maggiesottero.com/ website but when I looked yesterday I couldn't find it on there so it might not be part of the current collection :no:

I love it though it is definitely one of my faves, would love to have a bit of red in my dress like that!
  • Options
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/chiktai/SS852197.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/chiktai/SS852198.jpg

my mums' wedding dress from 1970 :lol:
    i used to wear it as a costume for halloween going as 'death' and aalways used to win :D

cant say as its a dress ill be wearing when the time comes!!

id try it on to show you what it looks like ON a person, but... id look like a right mong. fact
  • Options
    soraliah wrote: »
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/chiktai/SS852197.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/chiktai/SS852198.jpg

my mums' wedding dress from 1970 :lol:
    i used to wear it as a costume for halloween going as 'death' and aalways used to win :D

cant say as its a dress ill be wearing when the time comes!!

id try it on to show you what it looks like ON a person, but... id look like a right mong. fact

haha wow was she a hippy??
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    GWST, dress debate aside (although it's beautiful), that's a really lovely photo.
  • Options
    Wyetry I remember your beautiful beautiful dress, it was fabulous.

Thank you i decided i wanted something really simple too - though i did have a mad moment when i tried on the most beautiful coffee and lace vera wang dress which i fell instantly in love with (it only cost £7K) and my mum said i could have it but then my dad talked her out of it - i still pine for it today - sob sob
  • Options
    i plan to get married somewhere sunny (thailand maybe) I was thinking of doing a billie piper wedding. wasnt it a sarong the first time she got married?? or maybe i will just do a britney and wear jeans seeing as the
    2nd place we are considering is Vagas. God my wedding sounds tragic already lol
  • Options
    im hoping this works but i like really simple dresses like this http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/6/0/7/7/9/6/webimg/115984592_o.jpg
  • Options
    im no wedding dress expert and i have no idea if anyone has already suggested this, but why dont you go with one without straps then add your own straps?
  • Options
    im hoping this works but i like really simple dresses like this http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/6/0/7/7/9/6/webimg/115984592_o.jpg
    That's lovely.
  • Options
    I found this pic in a magazine and I thought the dress would be nice for a wedding but only it the front didn't show any leg like that. I quite like the drop waist too.
  • Options
    Blah wrote: »
    im no wedding dress expert and i have no idea if anyone has already suggested this, but why dont you go with one without straps then add your own straps?

I'm also sure somewhere in my head that lots i tried on came with optional straps - but also a little jacket thing is great.

ETA that my friend who is getting married in like 3 weeks time got her dress this morning and isn't sure she likes it any more - eeek - any emergency wedding dress ideas???
  • Options
    Well, I've had my first dress shopping experience, which to be honest bordered on the terrifying, with this crazy, overly made-up witchy type woman pointing out the pros and cons of my body, and thus what would or wouldn't work on me.

She looked at me in horror when I said I was considering wearing flats, and tried to have me on that dupion silk was fantastically expensive (8.50 a metre - Bombay Stores, baby - I wasn't born yesterday!).

Anyhoo, I've definitely decided on some form of a sleeve. Apparently I need it to hide my bony shoulders (ta, crazy witchwoman!). But I saw a dress on a crafty forum ages ago that I fell in love with, and I can't find it again now! It was cream, with a scoop neck and the tiniest of cap sleeves. Under the bust was a blue ribbon detail (although obv I'd have green) and then it fit really cleanly and simply round the waist, and flared out to the floor, with a tiny train. If I can't find a dress I love in the next week (got another expedition this weekend) I'm totally going to make it, maybe halfy-halfyed with another pattern.
  • Options
    Where did you have your terrifying witchwoman experience? :crazyeyes
    Are you making your dress from a pattern, or just going to wing it? My mum wants to make the BM dresses and get her friend to make me a dress but I don't know where to look for patterns. In John Lewis they had the most gorgeous bridal material :heart:
  • Options
    That sounds lovely Kaff.

I think this is really cute - not the best pic but I like the detail.
  • Options
    Where did you have your terrifying witchwoman experience? :crazyeyes

It was a place in Rawdon. Bit out of the way for you, so I wouldn't worry, although most of those shops do put the willies up me somewhat!
    Are you making your dress from a pattern, or just going to wing it?

Definitely going with a pattern (or will need to draft my own). Smart dresses don't really lend themselves to winging!
    My mum wants to make the BM dresses and get her friend to make me a dress but I don't know where to look for patterns.

Samuel Taylor in Leeds (behind House of Fraser) has loads of pattern books downstairs that you can browse through. Pretty sure they have all the major brands (Vogue, Simplicity, McCalls, New Look, Butterick, Burda). Or just google 'sewing patterns' and they all have online catalogues.
    In John Lewis they had the most gorgeous bridal material

Get thee to Bombay Stores! It's in Bradford, they have the most stunning fabrics, and absolutely shitloads of them, too, at really good prices :heart:
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote: »

But I saw a dress on a crafty forum ages ago that I fell in love with, and I can't find it again now! It was cream, with a scoop neck and the tiniest of cap sleeves. Under the bust was a blue ribbon detail (although obv I'd have green) and then it fit really cleanly and simply round the waist, and flared out to the floor, with a tiny train. If I can't find a dress I love in the next week (got another expedition this weekend) I'm totally going to make it, maybe halfy-halfyed with another pattern.
    That sounds lovely.