Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Wedding Dress Thread

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I want to get married now u bastards :(
  • Options
    I've already got the name of the designer who's going to be my bridal gown designer; Chantal Mallet. This is the sort of thing I'll be wearing. It's amazingly named Elizabeth Which is also my name haha.

Eta; I also adore this one called Damsel

Good lord!
  • Options
    I like ones in those sort of styles with little sleeves, don't think I would feel comfortable in strapless at all.

I :heart: this thread!
  • Options
    FireFly85 wrote: »
    I like ones in those sort of styles with little sleeves, don't think I would feel comfortable in strapless at all.

wow they're both gooorgeous, especially the one with the red in it.

i had a strapless dress when i was a bridesmaid (i know its not the same, but) and i was really worried about it falling down and yanking it up all the time but it was suprisingly good, it felt secure all day and looked lovely if i do say so myself :D
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    that one is lovely, who made it?

It's from the Pronovias collection. :heart:
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote: »
    I really like this one, but it'd set me back the best part of £1000, and no dress is that nice. May copy it if I can't find a cheaper alternative!

that is so pretty and dainty, i :heart: it
  • Options
    have you thought of looking on ebay? I just done a quick search and there are loads of cheap ones that look nice. Noone has to know its from ebay!
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2008-Wedding-Dresses-Wedding-Gowns-prom-gown-bridesmaid_W0QQitemZ150227479432QQihZ005QQcategoryZ91248QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem thats gorgous, and its made for you.
  • Options
    have you thought of looking on ebay? I just done a quick search and there are loads of cheap ones that look nice. Noone has to know its from ebay!
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2008-Wedding-Dresses-Wedding-Gowns-prom-gown-bridesmaid_W0QQitemZ150227479432QQihZ005QQcategoryZ91248QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem thats gorgous, and its made for you.

That's what my Dad's wife did, sent off all her measurements and her bridal gown was about £100 custom made, then she got alterations done when it arrived. I think it was from China or somewhere like that.
  • Options
    i would watch out though cos some of my friends got dresses from china from ebay for the princess party and they looked really cheap and tacky - which was fine as they were for a fancy dress party and were really cheap buttttt possibly not what you want for your wedding day.

I'm suprised at this thread though because i really hate about 99% of the dresses people have posted here - or would never wear them myself - which i guess is just so funny that everyone has such different taste....
  • Options
    Acrobat wrote: »
    That's what my Dad's wife did, sent off all her measurements and her bridal gown was about £100 custom made, then she got alterations done when it arrived. I think it was from China or somewhere like that.

Aye, that's a definite possibility. 99% of them are made in China anyway, you're just getting them direct from the suppliers rather than via some massively overpriced retailer.

Apparently you have to be careful about which companies you buy from, as some are crap. I've got some recommendations for Chinese ebay sellers though, and they've got like 4000 positive feedback, so must be pretty good.
  • Options
    I really like this one, but it'd set me back the best part of £1000, and no dress is that nice. May copy it if I can't find a cheaper alternative!

I love it! :heart: I can completely understand not wanting to spend £1000 on a dress though. I never really had any big dress situation because I wore my mum's dress (have attached picture, not that I think it's anything akin to what you want). But if I hadn't had that option I would've had one made... I think. I like things to be a lot more simple and the fabric to be a lot more pure than a lot of the designers make them - and I HATE strapless. When is the strapless trend going to end? Anyway, I digress...

My cousin bought her dress and her BM dresses off ebay. A shop on there called Silkroad Bridal and the dresses were all gorgeous! It's worth having a look on ebay to see if there's anything you might fancy buying/fancy copying. It's an arduous task, but enjoyable too I'm sure :D There's also NetBride which is a wedding dress search engine of sorts. Expensive though!

Completely going against my love of the simple, I still think the most beautiful bride/bridal dress was Grace Kelly. I adore it :heart:
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    My cousin bought her dress and her BM dresses off ebay. A shop on there called Silkroad Bridal and the dresses were all gorgeous! t:

That's the one that's been recommended! There isn't as much choice as some of the others, but that's probably a good thing. Also 99% strapless, but if I'm only paying £150 for a dress, I can maybe afford to splash out a wee bit more on altering to give it straps.

Your dress is gorgeous! I love the look with the teeny sleeves, and the embroidery. I've considered looking for a vintage dress (no female relatives kept theirs), but they seem to be more than new ones!
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I don't hate strapless, but I do agree the trend has gone on for too long.

I've been to 8 weddings in the past two years and the following gorgeous Matthew Williamson is the only one that bucks the trend:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/graybo/301328382/sizes/l/in/set-72157594229598548/
  • Options
    i have bought a very cheap burgandy velvet dress off Ebay, but i'm not so sure it will work.

It needs to be no longer than mid calf, crimson, burgandy coloured, and halter-neck. and not expencive! I did see a nice one in monsoon but it was £75 and i can't really spend more than £50. I'm on such a tight budget for the handfasting.
  • Options
    That's the one that's been recommended! There isn't as much choice as some of the others, but that's probably a good thing. Also 99% strapless, but if I'm only paying £150 for a dress, I can maybe afford to splash out a wee bit more on altering to give it straps.

Your dress is gorgeous! I love the look with the teeny sleeves, and the embroidery. I've considered looking for a vintage dress (no female relatives kept theirs), but they seem to be more than new ones!

Aw thanks, yeah it's a really beautiful dress (I wouldn't say the pictures do it justice, it looked so wonderful on the day - if I do say so myself) and I loved the idea of wearing the same dress my mum did. Was very fitting for the setting, too - delicate and floaty and simple - which is definitely something that dictates the dress you have. In a church I mightn't have worn it... well I probably would've but it wouldn't have had the same effect. Outside in such a beautiful natural setting a bit meringue or something all sparkly would've been wrong.

Most of my aunties gave their dresses away or sold them on, my mum was about to donate hers to an African women's charity but she had a really strong feeling she'd have a daughter. I used to dress up in it as a kid so I'm amazed it survived that (rather than the last 30 years) :razz:

With your skills I think you could buy a fixer-upper. Not necessarily an old wreck, but something very simple that you could adjust and embelish and make your own mark on. That'd be pretty special, and it'd be unique.

Aww this thread's turning me to mush :love:
  • Options
  • Options
    I am going to have an anti-wedding, so I can get a dress too.
  • Options
    GWST - only about a million :p Will post some tonight (maybe on the photo thread so's not to derail this thread anymore - though it's all wedding-related eh :thumb:)
  • Options
    GhostGirl wrote: »
    I want to get married now u bastards :(

Me too :(
  • Options
  • Options
    I never really want to get married but IF (a big if) I had to I'd like a dress like what my sister wore for her wedding day (I've added a piccy of her below) it was lovely and one of the few I've seen I actually like!
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    Me three :(

Nobody is ever gonna wanna marry me though! :(
    Lets get married <33
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    GWST - only about a million :p Will post some tonight (maybe on the photo thread so's not to derail this thread anymore - though it's all wedding-related eh :thumb:)

Aye, it's all related - pics please! :p

Just found this on fleabay - I love this little shrug!
  • Options
    FireFly85 wrote: »

firefly - where on earth did u get that top picture from? the red+white dress. its stunning and i LOVE it! a link or name of designer wud be great :)
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster

oh Kaff, thats lovely!
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I am going to have an anti-wedding, so I can get a dress too.
    Yeah, me too. I don't want to get married just yet - but I do want to wear one those dresses :D
  • Options

oOOOH I LIKE IT TOO

oo caps sorry
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    I never really want to get married but IF (a big if) I had to I'd like a dress like what my sister wore for her wedding day (I've added a piccy of her below) it was lovely and one of the few I've seen I actually like!
    I love that picture.
  • Options

That is beautiful :heart: I love the sash too.

I also really like the red and white one that FireFly posted...I'm determined if/when I ever get married my dress will be partly or entirely red.
  • Options

I like that as well - i am very glad that I wore a shrug thingy at my wedding - i dunno why i think its because i'm paranoied about having giant sholders and it breaks it up a bit.

I want to see Briggi's pictures