Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Time to bring back the death penalty?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    So why aint there half a dozen coppers swinging from a beam?

They enforce the law, they dont need to follow it.
  • Options
    I support the death penalty because there has to be a greater degree of punishment past life in prison to not only deter criminals but also to bring some justice to families of victims who have been murdered, raped, etc.
  • Options
    I support the death penalty because there has to be a greater degree of punishment past life in prison to not only deter criminals but also to bring some justice to families of victims who have been murdered, raped, etc.

There is absolutely no evidence that it acts as a deterant. The murder rate is significantly higher in the US than the EU, yet their prisons are harder and they have the death penalty.
  • Options
    I've changed my mind about this, to be honest. I really can't see a point in bringing back the death penalty now.
    Hmm... let's take an example of that. Late last week, Steve Wright was jailed for the rest of his life for the murder of five women. It was reported in the Sunday papers that he was considering killing himself in prison. Somehow, I doubt I was the only person who was hoping he'd do it. There are some people who, because of their crimes, deserve to suffer. Killing them gives them an easy way out. Let them really suffer in prison. Let them live in fear of their lives every single day. They deserve nothing more.

The current system can actually be a lot crueller than killing someone, if only our prisons weren't full. If only dangerous, violent criminals were put in prisons, they'd all live in a climate of real fear.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    There is absolutely no evidence that it acts as a deterant. The murder rate is significantly higher in the US than the EU, yet their prisons are harder and they have the death penalty.

In some states with the death penalty it's significantly lower (and of course some states without it's higher).

does it deter all murders - no

Does it deter some - yes
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Let them really suffer in prison. Let them in fear of their lives every single day. They deserve nothing more.
    One of those occasions we agree ...believe me they do suffer and most of them try to kill themselves repeatedly ...keeping them alive is seriously good punishment.
  • Options
    their prisons are harder .
    Thats debatable mate ...i have been in jail with yanks ...in Strangeways and Armley castle ...the yanks were terrified and couldn't believe the conditions.
  • Options

Indeed. In fact the murder rate in states where there is the death penalty is actually higher than in those without it.
    For 2006, the average Murder Rate of Death Penalty States was 5.9, while the average Murder Rate of States without the Death Penalty was 4.22

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?did=169
  • Options
    One of those occasions we agree ...believe me they do suffer and most of them try to kill themselves repeatedly ...keeping them alive is seriously good punishment.
    The problem at the moment is, for decades, prisons have effectively been regarded by politicians as social dustbins. Hence why there are so many people in jail for minor crimes, (should non-payment of the TV tax really be an offence for which you can be jailed?) and so many others with severe mental problems, who should be in hospital, not prison. That's why prisons are stuffed to the rafters at the moment. Neither does it help when New Labour has created 3000 new "crimes" since coming to power, most of which carry a prison sentence. Who could argue this isn't a terrible way of using resources?

I think community punishment does have its place, but it has something of a "reputation" problem too. It's seen, for some reason, as a soft option. I deem that unlikely. Personally, I think that those who are doing community punishment should have to wear certain uniforms or clothing to show everyone else what they are doing. The disapproval of society is usually something which changes people's ways very quickly - it's worked for thousands of years already, and it will continue to work for thousands more years.
  • Options
    Fucking hell SG, that's almost a well thought out comment :p

Of course, you had to slip in a comment about "New Labour" which isn't really fair. You cannot blame this on party politics, in terms of views, because there are other parties who will also play to the gallery in the same way - tough on crime, tough on the causes. Funny how each party is only really interested in the former...
  • Options
    Of course, you had to slip in a comment about "New Labour" which isn't really fair.
    It's perfectly legitimate to point out when a government has created 3000 new crimes. In any case, I also give the Tories a hard time for this, so this is hardly playing to the gallery.
  • Options
    I mean it's the politicians who play to the gallery, not you.

They look for headlines and tough sentences will get those, helping tthe poor etc won't.
  • Options
    The problem at the moment is, for decades, prisons have effectively been regarded by politicians as social dustbins. Hence why there are so many people in jail for minor crimes, (should non-payment of the TV tax really be an offence for which you can be jailed?) and so many others with severe mental problems, who should be in hospital, not prison. That's why prisons are stuffed to the rafters at the moment. Neither does it help when New Labour has created 3000 new "crimes" since coming to power, most of which carry a prison sentence. Who could argue this isn't a terrible way of using resources?

I think community punishment does have its place, but it has something of a "reputation" problem too. It's seen, for some reason, as a soft option. I deem that unlikely. Personally, I think that those who are doing community punishment should have to wear certain uniforms or clothing to show everyone else what they are doing. The disapproval of society is usually something which changes people's ways very quickly - it's worked for thousands of years already, and it will continue to work for thousands more years.

on the whole, an excellent post SG in how you argue that i must say :thumb:

prison population wouldn't be an issue if you only put people who need to or should be kept away from society like violent criminals and repeat offenders, whilst dealing with mental illness with combined treatment and punishment and social problems with repairing the damage you've done
  • Options
    We will pay for the crowded prisons time and again because at this rate they can not really do any rehabilitation work inside. So the re-offending rate is going to go up, and they'll be back inside even sooner.
  • Options
    In some states with the death penalty it's significantly lower (and of course some states without it's higher).

does it deter all murders - no

Does it deter some - yes

In other words it has a lot more to do with the society, areas of poverty and social mobility than it does about the death penalty.
  • Options
    It's perfectly legitimate to point out when a government has created 3000 new crimes. In any case, I also give the Tories a hard time for this, so this is hardly playing to the gallery.

Indeed they did, this might explain further your points about the mentally ill in prisons

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Care_in_the_Community

A failed policy and too many of those who need effective pychiatric care are now back in institutions that cannot meet their needs.
  • Options
    Thirty years - but she could be out in 15.

The bitch really should die in jail... Attempting murder but failing and instead leaving them blind, partially deaf and with kidney failure and brain damage - needing 24hr care is as bad... The evil she has brought isn't forgivable, there's no way people like her should ever be allowed back into society.
  • Options
    It should never be about money. Ever.
  • Options
    Maybe if it costs less to kill them than keep them, it will be better, unless someone can convince me otherwise.

It costs less to kill you, than treat you for any medical condition.

But thanks for the heads up about not wanting to be resuscitated dude, I will make sure it gets added to your medical notes. ;)
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    It should never be about money. Ever.
    I was just about to say that ...if it comes down to money all the time this government will stop locking murderers up and just take their benefits of them.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Tell that to the almost certainly completely innocent British man who was released after 20 years on death row when it was finally proven the original evidence and witness testimonies used to find him guilty were incorrect and/or fabricated.

And that's just one example of many.

If thats kenny richey your on abouts there thats a bad example cause he aint innocent far from it,im from where he's actually from(i actually drink in his local sum times seen him abouts) and i have checked alotta stuff out abouts his trial and he aint innocent its more a case if you appeal enough you'll eventually find a technicality sumwhere.

for the record im not sure if id want the death penalty or not but the bottom line is jail aint really much of a deterent,i think thats what we have to change,doing time should really mean doing time,i hate america but i suppose there jails are what our prisons should be like real time,locked up 24/7 get excercise for 15mins then back in lock down,as for peadophilles and the like we should torture the bastards till they die a pain and slow death.
  • Options
    cassidy04 wrote: »
    If thats kenny richey your on abouts there thats a bad example cause he aint innocent far from it,im from where he's actually from(i actually drink in his local sum times seen him abouts) and i have checked alotta stuff out abouts his trial and he aint innocent its more a case if you appeal enough you'll eventually find a technicality sumwhere.

What an amazing coincidence. In the 3 months that Charles Bronson was a free man he used to throw the most amazing parties. Interesting man, but a complete nutter.
  • Options
    rehabilitation is bull shit you murdered we have the proof (you may have confessed) time to dye why should we pay for your keep, I never heard of a bullet costing more than 15-30 years of food and water,
    how can 12 year olds commit murder and get 1 year and to top it all I never read that their parents would loose custody of them once they are out, we all can imagine what kind of upbringing they had (if any at all) time to stop saying poor darlings need rehabilatating bla bla bla to start with the parents should loose custody of them and any other children they have and hell why not sentence them to death ? what will they grow into ? because you will never convince me they will get rehabilitated
  • Options
    rehabilitation is bull shit you murdered we have the proof (you may have confessed) time to dye why should we pay for your keep

It's more expensive to put someone to death that it is to keep them alive.
  • Options
    rehabilitation is bull shit you murdered we have the proof (you may have confessed) time to dye why should we pay for your keep, I never heard of a bullet costing more than 15-30 years of food and water,
    how can 12 year olds commit murder and get 1 year and to top it all I never read that their parents would loose custody of them once they are out, we all can imagine what kind of upbringing they had (if any at all) time to stop saying poor darlings need rehabilatating bla bla bla to start with the parents should loose custody of them and any other children they have and hell why not sentence them to death ? what will they grow into ? because you will never convince me they will get rehabilitated

you are a scary lunatic!
  • Options
    you are a scary lunatic!

no whats your problem you contemplating murder ?

a man was killed today by two lads that got pissed off cause he told them off for throwing a chocolate rapper in his car window. I think they should be beated to death what the fuck is the matter with people ?

do people rthink they have the right to anoy others and then kill them if they get anoyed themselves ? ok it was the fall that killed him not the puch but please

in all other things we always blame the wrong people (such as the exagerate health and safety rules) but when people are directly responsable they hardly get punished
  • Options
    I think they should be beated to death what the fuck is the matter with people ?
    ok it was the fall that killed him not the puch

Which is manslaughter and not murder. I take it you believe a woman who has been abused for 15 years and suddenly snaps and kills her husband should be beaten to death as well? You have to take each case on it's merit.

Oh and for the record, rehabilitation is possible and you are taking out of your hole. Go take a chill pill.
  • Options
    yes we can take cases by merit, in the case of the woman that defended herself as far as I am concerned she did well the man deserved to dy, but if youths unprovokingly attack and kill (or casue the death of) and inocent victim they deserve no more than death.

what about the nurse that boasted about her (or was it his I didn't catch all the details) murders ? what does she deserve to be kept at our exspenses for the rest of her life ?
  • Options
    yes we can take cases by merit, in the case of the woman that defended herself as far as I am concerned she did well the man deserved to dy, but if youths unprovokingly attack and kill (or casue the death of) and inocent victim they deserve no more than death.

what about the nurse that boasted about her (or was it his I didn't catch all the details) murders ? what does she deserve to be kept at our exspenses for the rest of her life ?

Could you handle twelve months in Strangeways or Armley castle?
    Imagine having to survive there for twenty thirty years ...most of them repeatedly try and end such hellish punishment by topping themselves ...they want to die ...why should we help them?
  • Options
    Could you handle twelve months in Strangeways or Armley castle?
    Imagine having to survive there for twenty thirty years ...most of them repeatedly try and end such hellish punishment by topping themselves ...they want to die ...why should we help them?

well either a way should be found that they support themselves and the guards that guard them or yes its time to help them out, why should we pay the way of a murderer.

people say it costs more to put them to death than keep them what about the millions spent on building prisons and paying for guards and food etc.

do we still have hard labour ? I bet we don't they probably decided that even thats against human rights