Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Time to bring back the death penalty?

1235»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't think it should be brought back. Mainly due to people such as Derek Bentley who were innocent but hanged, that would carry on happening when it shouldn't. Also I feel that being sentenced to death isn't as punishable as being sent to prison. Those who commit serious crimes such as murder and child abuse should serve their time.
    To me the death penalty is so debatable that when i think of it, my own thoughts even conflict with each other
    feelim wrote: »
    To me the death penalty is so debatable that when i think of it, my own thoughts even conflict with each other
    soon as i wake up in the morning ...this thing called my brain ...conflict. theres no way i can escape it!
    more conflict = less boredom?
    feelim wrote: »
    more conflict = less boredom?
    I have always said ...it is impossible to be bored.
    Those who say they are bored ...realy mean ...i have become boring.
    I now live in the UK I came back 6 months ago after concluding it was time to stop worrying about every one else and take control of my own life

And nobody has commented yet on my suggestion to put them in the army and send them to afganistan, after all we say that "they have a debt with society" why not let them pay it they may well have many skills that would make them a good soldier or is it that we already know they will shit their pants ?
    i just had a look at your public profile ...it says nothing.
    are you maybe extreme in your views?
    where are you

not that your profile has much to say about yourself, what is it you pc boots on here ? considering your such a long standing member 32'000+ posts its not like you haven't been around long enough to put all details up about yourself including where YOU ARE (some people call this hypocracy but then we all have points of view)
    And nobody has commented yet on my suggestion to put them in the army and send them to afganistan, after all we say that "they have a debt with society" why not let them pay it they may well have many skills that would make them a good soldier or is it that we already know they will shit their pants ?

But if they're in the army and have weapons, what's to stop them going around killing other people? During the Vietnam war, there was someone who did this.
    and the next thing I will here is the wife should go to jail for leaving him in the first place ? and that the goverment want to do risk assessments on marriage breakups

You want to make people leaving their partners illegal?:confused: Why should the wife o to jail for that? or do you think it's acceptable for someone to have to stay ina relationship where one ws beating up the other person?

No they wouldn't. The army doesn't want people who kill when stressed, or having had an angry, or when drunk. It wants people who can, if needed, stand under a hail of stones and not fire. It wants discipline.
    No they wouldn't. The army doesn't want people who kill when stressed, or having had an angry, or when drunk. It wants people who can, if needed, stand under a hail of stones and not fire. It wants discipline.

Also, they could easily kill fellow soldiers. Many people who join the army are proud to have served their country, why should people who have committed crimes against the State be given that honor?
    The death penalty cannot work because it's obvious hypocrisy.
    True, some disturbed motherfuckers probably deserve to be put to death, but it's all very well bringing back the death sentence for certain crimes but where do we draw the line? It's a very slippery slope and could get out of control very easily. Different crimes are worse than others for different people, who gets to decide which crimes are punishable by death? Or shall we just kill everyone who breaks the law, whether they've been falsely accused or not?
    I saw a film a while ago, can' remember the name but it was about a group of people who were campaigning against the death penality in Texas and it had a really emotional twist at the end that got me thinking.
    It's also morally wrong, expensive and as someone else pointed out, does killing someone who's that fucked up really punish them? Would they even care? It's just a quick press of a button and they're gone... it's hardly torture, and that's a completely different kettle of fish...
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    it's hardly torture

Should they be tortured though? Surely two wrongs don't make a right.
    squeal wrote: »

Oh I agree with you, but I didn't want to go into that, hence why I said that's another kettle of fish...
    squeal wrote: »

I think what pill'ed was trying to say was something about how the death penalty is the easy way out and by putting them in jail, it's probably a better punishment.
    Melian wrote: »
    I think what pill'ed was trying to say was something about how the death penalty is the easy way out and by putting them in jail, it's probably a better punishment.

Pretty much yep. But I do believe that for those sick crimes, a life sentance should really be a LIFE sentance, unless there is 100% proof that they are innocent.
    not that your profile has much to say about yourself, what is it you pc boots on here ? considering your such a long standing member 32'000+ posts its not like you haven't been around long enough to put all details up about yourself including where YOU ARE (some people call this hypocracy but then we all have points of view)

I'm not having a go at yoiu for not putting anything in your profile ...just saying i couldn't glean anything from there about you.
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    Pretty much yep. But I do believe that for those sick crimes, a life sentance should really be a LIFE sentance, unless there is 100% proof that they are innocent.

and with that also 100% guilty
    nobodys considered that the so called frail father that needs help not punishment may have been a nasty bastard that beat his wife for 13 years till she left so he killed his son and attempted to kill his daughter to get back at her I know he will get off by saying he's mentally unstable.....
    No one's ignoring that - it's worth reading what people are actually saying. No one's saying that people shouldn't be made to pay for their crimes, no one's saying that you should be able to justify murder. The truth is that most people are saying that murder should never be acceptable - and that it's societies job to deal with those who commit murder.

The death penalty though isn't dealing with murder, it's a solution for a society of cowards that would rather be as barbaric as the killers themselves than actually address the hard questions and deal with the reasons for and solution to murder themselves. It's an easy way out based on anger and weakness.

You can either believe your society should strive to be better than it's problems or as bad as them. A death penalty demeans us all.
    Jim V wrote: »
    You can either believe your society should strive to be better than it's problems or as bad as them.

I have to quote you in my signature!