Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Time to bring back the death penalty?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How come it's always the people who most distrust government to do anything that are in favour of giving them the power of the death penalty?

It's quite weird.
    Kermit wrote: »
    But what's wrong with revenge? Punishment of any sort for the crime of murder is about revenge, why not do it properly and make filth like Bellfield beg to die? Rather than put him up in prison for the rest of his life, get him waterboarded until he's begging to die and then eletrocute him. It's what he deserves.

TBH You know the answer and you have used it yourself. All the while that people liek Shipman, West, Huntley and Brady would rather commit suicide that spend their life behind bars any consideration of the death penalty becomes redundant.
    Outside of the political elites the death penalty debate comes up a lot... And it's a pretty pointless debate. I think 'if life meant life' this 'debate' wouldn't be coming up in pubs every now and then and surfacing in the pages of the tabloids after every notorious case... The argt against actual life sentences that they don't allow for discipline doesn't really wash, the Americans manage it alright... (And American maximum security prisons are exactly what the likes of Ian Huntley deserve). Although admittedly as far as cases like Huntley/Shipman/etc go life does actually mean life.... But I'd prefer he got the regime of a Kentucky max security prison nonetheless
    Does anyone else agree that it is time to change that?
    No
    Some people commit crimes so foul that they no longer deserve to be alive.
    And at what point does somebody deserve to die?
    I'd like nothing more than to see people like Bellfield tortured to death, they should be killed just as they killed so many others.
    Where do we draw the line?
    But what's wrong with revenge?
    It depends on what you call revenge. I don't think it makes you any better that you'd want to hurt a man as much as he hurt somebody else. It makes you a 'monster' like him.

The death penalty is exploitable, I don't trust our government to have that much power. We've also moved on from the dark ages somewhat... Or are you calling for public floggings now too?
    Outside of the political elites the death penalty debate comes up a lot... And it's a pretty pointless debate.
    There aren't many debate topics where I've never heard a single convincing argument for the opposing point of view, but this is one of them. In an advanced western nation, the pro-death penalty position is intellectually and morally bankrupt. The only way you can ever administer the death penalty is if you're already capable of holding and trying the prisoner, otherwise it's an assassination or outright war. And if you're capable of securely holding the prisoner, then there is no excuse to kill him. You just simply cannot get past the fact that mistrials occur, and cannot offer any public protection that life imprisonment doesn't offer.

Although if the OP is a rhetorical question Kermit, I worry that your opinion on the subject can change from anti-death penalty (as I believe you were in fairly recent posts, for precicely the reasons that everyone has mentioned) to pro-death penalty on the basis of a couple of horrific cases. The same arguments occur now as occured last week.
    I actually don't care about the "lowers us to the level of the murderer" argument. I would have no problem saying that a mass murdering dictator deserves to die, for example. It's just that I don't believe that any man is capable of making such a judgement.

i'd rather they lingered in jail having people look at you like a piece of shit for the rest off your life until you die a old cold lonely death
    Instead of bringing back the death penalty they should just turn the prisons into prisons instead of holiday homes. Take away some of the luxuries, take away the rewards except for those that behave themselves, a bit more stick and a bit less carrot.
    Someone facing a 15 year sentence might be a little more upset at the situation they've found themselves in.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Instead of bringing back the death penalty they should just turn the prisons into prisons instead of holiday homes. Take away some of the luxuries, take away the rewards except for those that behave themselves, a bit more stick and a bit less carrot.

I take it you've been to prison then?

It doesn't sound nice to me... My mate was caught dealing (or more accurately, being the wrong dealer in a club and not having enough to pay the police1) and ended up being sent to juvie as she was younger then (or I think, somehow got in there and a shorter sentence, probably because her family are very middle class, but I think also that she was done for posession in the end2)... She hated it and not only that, her whole life was f*cked. Her entire career!

She was going to go in to biochemistry as she's extremely academic. Now what the hell is she going to do? Every job application form she fills in she'll have to state her offence and she'll have trouble travelling. For a lot of people who commit crimes (and who get arrested), their life has basically ended and their freedom is still taken away anyway, even after they've finished their prison term.

I am not sympathising with rapists or murderers, I just think that a lot of people have a very funny view of prison being a happy camp and then people leave after several years and carry on as normal.

1. Before anybody accuses me of lying... This does happen... Trust me

2. This happens too, allegedly more frequent in the States?
    Whowhere wrote:

Prisons are not nice places, a serving police officer should know that.
    It prevents people who have already murdered from murdering again.

So does hanging.

I don't think Timothy McVeigh will be murdering anyone in the forseeable future, do you?
    I'd be interested to know if any pro-death penalty posters have seen the documentary '14 Days in May' and whether this affected their views at all.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0188626/
    Prisons are not nice places, a serving police officer should know that.

They're obviously not that horrible or people wouldn't be so keen to get back in them.
    I've never been in a prison, but dealing with some of the people I have been dealing with recently, it's absolutely no deterrent to them, they seem eager to get back in, or they wouldn't maraude the streets robbing people and smashing stuff up.
    I am against the death penalty but life should mean life. No release for good behaviour or illness or whatever.
    Outside of the political elites the death penalty debate comes up a lot... And it's a pretty pointless debate. I think 'if life meant life' this 'debate' wouldn't be coming up in pubs every now and then and surfacing in the pages of the tabloids after every notorious case... The argt against actual life sentences that they don't allow for discipline doesn't really wash, the Americans manage it alright... (And American maximum security prisons are exactly what the likes of Ian Huntley deserve). Although admittedly as far as cases like Huntley/Shipman/etc go life does actually mean life.... But I'd prefer he got the regime of a Kentucky max security prison nonetheless

Absolutely no one regardless of their crimes deserves what goes on in some US supermax prisons. Beatings, torture and god knows what else are all totally routine.

It makes no difference what someone has done, they are still a human and deserve at least vaguely humane treatment. Otherwise we are sectioning them off as less than human, at which point why dont we test dangerous drugs on them, or make them fight each other to the death for public entertainment. If we are to call ourselves a civilised society we need to treat even the worst of us humanely.
    Teagan wrote: »
    I am against the death penalty but life should mean life. No release for good behaviour or illness or whatever.

Agreed. None of this "congratuwelldone, you've been a good little boy. Now go out and make sure you don't go raping those children in the suburb with the primary school next door to you *chuckle* Oh, what a good man."
    Why we have to lower ourselves to their level?
    Why we hate him? - because he is murder, then why we have to become one that we hate?

My answer is no...
    And I am proud there is no death penalty in my country
    So does hanging.

I don't think Timothy McVeigh will be murdering anyone in the forseeable future, do you?

Oh come on, I've made tonnes of points on this thread, and that's the best you can come up with? Like I said, not a single convincing argument on your side Kermit, and you know it.
    I personally think the only thing the death sentence would help with is lowering the congestion on jails.
    On the other hand,peados,rapists and murderers are a waste of space and why should we bother keeping them alive?
    The only real way that will help a bit is to make prisons something to be feared.None of this cushty sky tv,plasma screens,central heating and playstations.Prison is meant to be a punishment with cold showers,gruel and the only entertainment a book or something.Locked up in cold cells all day apart form 2 15 minute outside time or something.
    The way prisons are nowadays they seem more like a reward to criminals than a punishment,and the best part is we pay for their luxuries!!
    The Leaf wrote: »
    I personally think the only thing the death sentence would help with is lowering the congestion on jails.
    On the other hand,peados,rapists and murderers are a waste of space and why should we bother keeping them alive?
    The only real way that will help a bit is to make prisons something to be feared.None of this cushty sky tv,plasma screens,central heating and playstations.Prison is meant to be a punishment with cold showers,gruel and the only entertainment a book or something.Locked up in cold cells all day apart form 2 15 minute outside time or something.
    The way prisons are nowadays they seem more like a reward to criminals than a punishment,and the best part is we pay for their luxuries!!

Do you have any idea at all what prisons are like?
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I've never been in a prison

Clearly.
    They're obviously not that horrible or people wouldn't be so keen to get back in them.

Dealing with some of the people I have been dealing with recently, it's absolutely no deterrent to them, they seem eager to get back in, or they wouldn't maraude the streets robbing people and smashing stuff up.

Prison is only a deterrent to those who have something to lose. It always has been and always will be.

Mass murderers don't think they'll get caught and petty thugs and thieves have nothing to lose by getting caught.
    2. More expensive.
    QUOTE]

1 single round of ammo for a rifle about 50p max?
    Territt wrote: »
    You'd favour shooting them?! :eek2:
    It's not the actual execution that is costly but the appeals and legal proceedings attached to a death sentence.

Nor that money should be a factor when considering whether to kill a human being of course.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    It's not the actual execution that is costly but the appeals and legal proceedings attached to a death sentence..

Once it it proven without a doubt then why not just take them out and shoot them, fuck appeals like the states where people try to get it lowered to life,
    Once it it proven without a doubt then why not just take them out and shoot them, fuck appeals like the states where people try to get it lowered to life,
    Can anything be proven beyond any doubt? That's the big question.
    Tell that to the almost certainly completely innocent British man who was released after 20 years on death row when it was finally proven the original evidence and witness testimonies used to find him guilty were incorrect and/or fabricated.

And that's just one example of many.
    Misc-Do_not_feed_the_trolls_(2).jpg
    Why anyone would want to give the state the right to kill you is beyond me.
    You don't want them to have personal information about you...store your DNA or intercept your emails but ...it's ok for them to have the power to kill you.
    The already have the power to kill us, just ask Mr de Menezes.

But you still support the death penalty? Sure Mr deMenezes was a terrorist who was going to blow half of London up before we stopped him...right? :chin:

So why aint there half a dozen coppers swinging from a beam?