Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Time to bring back the death penalty?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ...they want to die ...why should we help them?

My thoughts exactly.
    people say it costs more to put them to death than keep them what about the millions spent on building prisons and paying for guards and food etc.

:confused: Er, you'd have to do that anyway if we still had the death penalty.
    well either a way should be found that they support themselves and the guards that guard them or yes its time to help them out, why should we pay the way of a murderer.

people say it costs more to put them to death than keep them what about the millions spent on building prisons and paying for guards and food etc.

do we still have hard labour ? I bet we don't they probably decided that even thats against human rights

Prisoners do very boring repetetive labour in the city centre jails plus hard labour on farms.
    Everything that is eaten in jail is produced in jail ...the beds the knives and forks the clothes ...all made by prisoners.
    really ? what about their guards ? a prison should be self sufficient no dependant on us
    really ? what about their guards ? a prison should be self sufficient no dependant on us

Not sure what you mean but its a job init.
    Why are you so worried about costs ...the reality is ...if all prisons ceased to exist ...if all social security was stopped ...you wouldn't be a penny better off.
    well either a way should be found that they support themselves and the guards that guard them or yes its time to help them out, why should we pay the way of a murderer.

If you think money should ever be taken into account when considering whether to kill a human being, then you are no better than any of the murderers in prision.
    do we still have hard labour ? I bet we don't they probably decided that even thats against human rights
    That's right. And thank fuck for that.
    many people kill for money !

So lets say I'm a stupid youth with nothing to do and I decide to murder a random person in the street (say YOU) is it right that the victims family have to pay for the murderes keep (via their taxes) we know chances are the murderer will not be rehabilited, does anybody have any succesess stories of rehabilitated murderers ?
    many people kill for money !

So lets say I'm a stupid youth with nothing to do and I decide to murder a random person in the street (say YOU) is it right that the victims family have to pay for the murderes keep (via their taxes) we know chances are the murderer will not be rehabilited, does anybody have any succesess stories of rehabilitated murderers ?
    i have a story which i have already mentioned.
    I realy don't understand the obsession with money.
    What makes you think murderers cannot be rehabilitated?

I suspect there must have been hundreds of cases in the last century in Britain alone.

Of course some murderers can be rehabilitated.

And for those who can't, there is prison. Because if you think they should be killed instead simply to save money, you are as bad as the hypothetical stupid youth with nothing to do who decides to murder a random person.

Worse, in fact. At least the youth can say he's stupid. Killing someone in cold blood after a cold calculation that concluded it might be cheaper than keeping them alive denotes a level of premeditation and contempt for the sanctity of human life that can only be described as pure evil.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    What makes you think murderers cannot be rehabilitated?

I suspect there must have been hundreds of cases in the last century in Britain alone.

Of course some murderers can be rehabilitated.

And for those who can't, there is prison. Because if you think they should be killed instead simply to save money, you are as bad as the hypothetical stupid youth with nothing to do who decides to murder a random person.

Worse, in fact. At least the youth can say he's stupid. Killing someone in cold blood after a cold calculation that concluded it might be cheaper than keeping them alive denotes a level of premeditation and contempt for the sanctity of human life that can only be described as pure evil.
    And would he like the job of doing the killing i wonder ...or is that best left to someone else ...
    And would he like the job of doing the killing i wonder ...or is that best left to someone else ...

frankly I would not and have no problem admitting that I'm not the killer type I just don't understand anyone that commits murder.

its not so much an obsession with money but thats the immediate problem, then of course these people may escape and who is going to decide they are "rehabilitated" what if the don't "rehabilitate" by the end of their sentence ?
    its not so much an obsession with money but thats the immediate problem, then of course these people may escape and who is going to decide they are "rehabilitated" what if the don't "rehabilitate" by the end of their sentence ?
    The money is neither here nor there!
    How many dangerous criminals have escaped in the last twenty years?
    By the way ...there isn't enough work for every prisoner and some prisoners are not allowed to work as many other prisoners would have the opportunity to kill them ...and they would.
    Those who don't work are in a cell/dungeon ...23 hrs a day ...if it's rain9ng ...24 hrs a day. Imagine that for twenty years plus ...it's difficult to imagine for three months isn't it.
    British jails are not a soft touch ...ask the staff who have to work in them.
    frankly I would not and have no problem admitting that I'm not the killer type I just don't understand anyone that commits murder.

Then they're not let out. Someone who isn't in a mental condition to be let out into society isn't granted bail. The whole premise of your argument is based on absolutely nothing. It costs more to kill someone than imprison them for life as several people have mentioned. Oh shit, did I just destroy your entire argument? What a shame. Maybe now you can go on to the real reason you support the death penalty? You're revenge-driven self-righteous scum like the rest of them, for whom the idea of an innocent person being killed by accident is a price worth paying to satisfy your own bloodlust? How that? Am I in the ballpark?
    And those who do get out do so on licence ...meaning if they commit any offence whatsoever they can be dragged straight back to jail for another few years.
    Then they're not let out. Someone who isn't in a mental condition to be let out into society isn't granted bail. The whole premise of your argument is based on absolutely nothing. It costs more to kill someone than imprison them for life as several people have mentioned. Oh shit, did I just destroy your entire argument? What a shame. Maybe now you can go on to the real reason you support the death penalty? You're revenge-driven self-righteous scum like the rest of them, for whom the idea of an innocent person being killed by accident is a price worth paying to satisfy your own bloodlust? How that? Am I in the ballpark?

I think there's better ways to post on these boards than to simply hammer someone with insults because you don't like their viewpoint... Show a little sense please.
    It costs more to kill someone than imprison them for life as several people have mentioned. Oh shit, did I just destroy your entire argument?

You would if it were true. It possibly is for America where they have an expensive law system and cheap prisons. twenty years of appeals isn't cheap. But plenty of countries don't have the same endless legal wrangling and can get it done cheaply.

Now, that's not an argument for the death penalty, and there are plenty of argument's against it, but the cost argument is flawed.
    Well, I think it is barbaric to kill a killer. I personally would like to see them behind bars. Ive never been a big fan of courts these days, such as that peado-comedian man was release early. In my opinion Id rather die then stay behind bars so I think life imprisonment is a lot worse! Plus what about if they execute the wrong person by mistake!

But I can't really agree with the whole "no its wrong because of morals blah blah" thing. If you walked in on someone lets say for arguments sake. Someone molesting your sibling/child or someone killing them or about to kill them. Would you kill them to save thier life? Or for revenge. I sure as hell would, or at least injure the bastard so the courts can deal with the criminal.
    Jim V wrote: »
    I think there's better ways to post on these boards than to simply hammer someone with insults because you don't like their viewpoint... Show a little sense please.

It was a question. ;)

Sorry :angel:
    A man murdered his 4 year old son and nearly killed his 13 year old daughter as revenge against his wife that left him. Please don't tell me this man deserves to live let alone be rehabilitable, you have a problem with your wife so you kill your own kids ? hands up those that think he can rehabilitate. what about the man that killed a woman on their first date (13 stabs in the neck and head) so he could steal her car, Murder over a car ? please.

another alternative is put them in the army and ship them straight to afganistan where the CAN repay their debt to society
    To be fair giving a psychopathic murderer a huge supply of ammunition and an automatic weapon probably isn't the safest thing in the world for anyone, civilian or fellow soldier...
    A man murdered his 4 year old son and nearly killed his 13 year old daughter as revenge against his wife that left him. Please don't tell me this man deserves to live let alone be rehabilitable, you have a problem with your wife so you kill your own kids ? hands up those that think he can rehabilitate. what about the man that killed a woman on their first date (13 stabs in the neck and head) so he could steal her car, Murder over a car ? please.

another alternative is put them in the army and ship them straight to afganistan where the CAN repay their debt to society
    The guy who killed his son was obviously emotionaly devastated ...i've felt close to that point myself.
    I wouldn't imagine he would ever pose a danger to you or me or the guy driving the securicor truck ...this guy will go through hell in jail ...emotionaly ...not the kind of guy the other cons will punish ...yes this guy probably can be rehabilitated.
    and the next thing I will here is the wife should go to jail for leaving him in the first place ? and that the goverment want to do risk assessments on marriage breakups

if people can't cope with emotions then what is the world coming to ? perhaps we all want it too easy in life, couldn't he kill his wife instead ?
    and the next thing I will here is the wife should go to jail for leaving him in the first place ? and that the goverment want to do risk assessments on marriage breakups

if people can't cope with emotions then what is the world coming to ? perhaps we all want it too easy in life, couldn't he kill his wife instead ?
    yOUR YOUNG AND OBVIOUSLY LIVE A FAIRLY PROTECTED LIFE AT THE MOMENT ...I MEAN THAT WITH NO DISRESPECT.oops caPS
    Strong emotional devastation obviously hasn't reached you yet ...i hope it never does.
    yOUR YOUNG AND OBVIOUSLY LIVE A FAIRLY PROTECTED LIFE AT THE MOMENT ...I MEAN THAT WITH NO DISRESPECT.oops caPS
    Strong emotional devastation obviously hasn't reached you yet ...i hope it never does.

no I don't live a protected life, I spent four years working sleeping eating and in between trying to help my dad out of his own marriage his mother has only ever applied to me all the misgivings of my mum (that I don't actually have) I can't really say I have a family member I can rely on for any help my aunt does nothing but tell my nan bad things about me that are not true, I had a boss that was a nasty bastard (and ex preist at that) he used to make my life misery (theres no such thing as treating an employee fairly in italy) at times I though what am I living for, often I came to the conclusion my boss derserved nothing short of death he worked me like a machine like i would work 15 days in a row 12-14 hours a daynon stop no lunch break or tea breaks or get endless verbal abuse that made me incapable of concentrating on my work and of course it was my fault if I got it wrong or could make a broken machine work, he had no feelings put his wonderous family before all others and had no thought for my personal life just hon how much money he could make out of me, did I murder him ? NO I had no purpose in life and slim chances of getting out of the situation, I was hated by all and had no friends it seems in this particular place it was a crime to be foreign and capable of getting on with life and getting decent grades at school where I was verbally abused constantly is that enough for you ? was that a sheltered life ? I don't go round crying on peoples shoulders and thinking that my problems give me the right to kill I've only ever helped people and often gotten nothing back but nastiness.
    no I don't live a protected life, I spent four years working sleeping eating and in between trying to help my dad out of his own marriage his mother has only ever applied to me all the misgivings of my mum (that I don't actually have) I can't really say I have a family member I can rely on for any help my aunt does nothing but tell my nan bad things about me that are not true, I had a boss that was a nasty bastard (and ex preist at that) he used to make my life misery (theres no such thing as treating an employee fairly in italy) at times I though what am I living for, often I came to the conclusion my boss derserved nothing short of death he worked me like a machine like i would work 15 days in a row 12-14 hours a daynon stop no lunch break or tea breaks or get endless verbal abuse that made me incapable of concentrating on my work and of course it was my fault if I got it wrong or could make a broken machine work, he had no feelings put his wonderous family before all others and had no thought for my personal life just hon how much money he could make out of me, did I murder him ? NO I had no purpose in life and slim chances of getting out of the situation, I was hated by all and had no friends it seems in this particular place it was a crime to be foreign and capable of getting on with life and getting decent grades at school where I was verbally abused constantly is that enough for you ? was that a sheltered life ? I don't go round crying on peoples shoulders and thinking that my problems give me the right to kill I've only ever helped people and often gotten nothing back but nastiness.
    i just had a look at your public profile ...it says nothing.
    are you maybe extreme in your views?
    where are you
    where are you
    Does it matter? There can be countless reasons for someone not writing a public profile. Anyone can read what we're writing here right now, anyone can read our profiles.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Does it matter? There can be countless reasons for someone not writing a public profile. Anyone can read what we're writing here right now, anyone can read our profiles.
    You lost me ...

No number of examples addresses the single argument that trips you up: there is absolutely no way of being certain, and history is filled with examples of people being set free on appeal who you would've killed.
    where are you

Just to be clear, no one is required to put any information in their profiles - they shouldn't expected to be questioned about it either. If someone said, 'anyone know a good bar round here' I could see why someone would ask where they were - I can't think of a single reason it's relevant here.
    No number of examples addresses the single argument that trips you up: there is absolutely no way of being certain, and history is filled with examples of people being set free on appeal who you would've killed.
    Guitly as hell ...still doesn't justify us killing them.
    We should punish them whilst protecting us. How is killing them punishing them?
    How is us exacting revenge by stabbing them ...shooting them ...injecting mutililating or suffocating them ...any kind of example?
    Jim V wrote: »
    Just to be clear, no one is required to put any information in their profiles - they shouldn't expected to be questioned about it either. If someone said, 'anyone know a good bar round here' I could see why someone would ask where they were - I can't think of a single reason it's relevant here.

NO NO NO ...all i'm saying is that the profile didn't tell me anything in trying to understand the guy. Age experience etc.
    His answer gave me an insight and if it's a true statement then all power to the guy.