Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Loser Pays

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
In america where i live, lawyers sue everyone, sometimes for stupid reason or no reason at all. This is why i think that americans need to have loser pays, then it would preven stupid cases even going to trail, loser pays is in socialized european countries, not america. I would prefer loser pays cause innocent people wouldnt lose all their money to those damn american lawyers, who make millions a year.

Comments

• Options
    They'd do better having "common sense prevails" laws...
  • Options

Wouldn't we all...
  • Options
    Certainly would...
  • Options
    No If we have loser pays, stupid lawsuits wont go to court. We need to also make it so murderers dont get away because of double jeopardy.
  • Options
    dmdsexgod wrote: »
    In america where i live, lawyers sue everyone, sometimes for stupid reason or no reason at all. This is why i think that americans need to have loser pays, then it would preven stupid cases even going to trail, loser pays is in socialized european countries, not america. I would prefer loser pays cause innocent people wouldnt lose all their money to those damn american lawyers, who make millions a year.

Actually, many lawyers, unless working for a highly regarded firm, defense or a partner, lawyers do not make much at all in comparison. Especially in the first several years of work. Most start out at under 40k a year and depending on what field you work in. For example, the average salary for an experienced lawyer practicing family law is around 60/70k. Many lawyers employeed by the state, especially public defenders make pittance. The "millionaire lawyers" are not as common as you think and are most often segregated to defense or internation, patent and a select few others.
  • Options

Is this why they've started including 'Warning: May Contain Peanuts' on packets od nuts now?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Better than that Sofie is the Cadbury story from this week where they recaklled huge number of Dairy Milk bars. No because there was anything wrong with the chocolate... but because thwwrapper didn't have such a warning on it, even though the traces are likely to be minute....
  • Options
    I heard about that I think.
  • Options
    Actually, many lawyers, unless working for a highly regarded firm, defense or a partner, lawyers do not make much at all in comparison. Especially in the first several years of work. Most start out at under 40k a year and depending on what field you work in. For example, the average salary for an experienced lawyer practicing family law is around 60/70k. Many lawyers employeed by the state, especially public defenders make pittance. The "millionaire lawyers" are not as common as you think and are most often segregated to defense or internation, patent and a select few others.

That's bull fucking shit. My uncle owns a firm and makes $3 mill a year and his firm doesnt even do lawsuits.
  • Options
    Exactly, he *owns* a lawfirm. THats not exactly the average lawyer, is it. :rolleyes: Do some research, find out what they really make.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Over here we have strict rules as to what can be sent for trial and what not. Anything seen to be 'ridulous' will either be thrown out or the 'ridiculous' party will be penalised in costs.

I find it hard to believe there is nothing similar in such a country as America?

And as Manda says, many lawyers, both here and there do not get paid very much for a hard job. I would also suggest doing further research, perhaps speak to your uncle. He himself probably worked his arse off when he was younger, and he is now fortunate enough to have his own firm.

Also what people forget, is that the majority of cases don't even get to court, there is either no reasonable prospects of winning the case or it is settled out of court.
  • Options
    Exactly, he *owns* a lawfirm. THats not exactly the average lawyer, is it. :rolleyes: Do some research, find out what they really make.

I have done research. I wouldnt be talking if I hadnt done research. I'm in america, Im talking about the american lawyer, the one who sues people for no reason. Watch BBC, CNN, and NBC sometime.
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    Over here we have strict rules as to what can be sent for trial and what not. Anything seen to be 'ridulous' will either be thrown out or the 'ridiculous' party will be penalised in costs.

I find it hard to believe there is nothing similar in such a country as America?

And as Manda says, many lawyers, both here and there do not get paid very much for a hard job. I would also suggest doing further research, perhaps speak to your uncle. He himself probably worked his arse off when he was younger, and he is now fortunate enough to have his own firm.

Also what people forget, is that the majority of cases don't even get to court, there is either no reasonable prospects of winning the case or it is settled out of court.

I'm sorry my freind but thats how america works. each side has to pay their own law fees and cases or most likely not thrown out.
  • Options
    I have done research. I wouldnt be talking if I hadnt done research. I'm in america, Im talking about the american lawyer, the one who sues people for no reason. Watch BBC, CNN, and NBC sometime.

Just to let you know, Simba is american, and she is studying law.
  • Options
    Just to let you know, Simba is american, and she is studying law.

Yea what type of law? civil law, case law, or torts?
  • Options
    Yea what type of law? civil law, case law, or torts?

I assume all, as I did. However, I did an English law degree so I am unsure as to what the differences are.
  • Options
    I assume all, as I did. However, I did an English law degree so I am unsure as to what the differences are.

Now your either a civil lawyer, a criminal lawyer, a business lawyer, or a state lawyer (those are the ones pad $40,000 cause you work for the government), you cant study all.
  • Options
    Now your either a civil lawyer, a criminal lawyer, a business lawyer, or a state lawyer (those are the ones pad $40,000 cause you work for the government), you cant study all.

erm....I did! How else do you decide which area you want to work in.
  • Options

But here in the UK is different.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    But here in the UK is different.

I know that. THe Uk is better, cause lawyers are paid less.
  • Options
    How is that better?
  • Options
    I know that. THe Uk is better, cause lawyers are paid less.

Why is it better because of the pay? How does that ensure justice? The UK is better as we seem to have a better judicial and case management system (from what you are saying) than the US.
  • Options
    Why is it better because of the pay? How does that ensure justice? The UK is better as we seem to have a better judicial and case management system (from what you are saying) than the US.

Yes exactly what i am saying about the law systems.
  • Options
    Yes exactly what i am saying about the law systems.

but you havent explained why UK is better as the lawyers get paid less?
  • Options
    I have, you just werent listening.
  • Options
    You haven't :confused: well I can't see it any where.
  • Options
    listening? we aren't having a verbal conversation! Please either back up what you are saying re: payment of lawyers or show me where you have supposedly mentioned this.

Or, be big enough to admit you have made a mistake!
  • Options
    dmdsexgod - just to say that it's always nice to see a new poster, but you may want to consider how you are posting. Just because someone has a different view to you doesn't mean you need to have a go at them. Simba has presented a pretty obvious case about average earnings for lawyers and talking as if someone doesn't know what they are talking about without supplyiong an evidence to contray doesn't help.

If you disagree with another users view then spend a bit of time to explain why, just as you should spend some time to explain why you think lawyers should get low wages. Simply sayign your uncle runs a law firm doesn't really seem to give you some expert knowledge on lawyer wages.

And lets be honest the real stats aren't hard to find
    http://www.jobbankusa.com/career_employment/lawyers/salary_wages_pay.html
  • Options
    ok ill explain. see lawyer takes %30-%50 of what u win in america. even if you lose, lawyer still charged a few thousand dollars. do a stupid case a day thats a few thousand a week.
  • Options
    ok ill explain. see lawyer takes %30-%50 of what u win in america. even if you lose, lawyer still charged a few thousand dollars. do a stupid case a day thats a few thousand a week.

so that would be what? a few hundred thousand if ur a civil lawyer and sue based on torts.