Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Loser Pays

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    how much do you think tony blairs or bill gates lawyers are paid in case of a lawsuit? 10's of millions of dollars or pounds.
    Eh, did you know you're talking to yourself? Try the 'edit' button instead of 'quote'.
    no. just emphasizing things more
    By Tony Blair's lawyers do you mean his personal ones or the ones employed by the Government?
    By Tony Blair's lawyers do you mean his personal ones or the ones employed by the Government?

government, maybe personal as well. but bill gates personal are paid hundreds of millions.
    dmdsexgod wrote: »
    government, maybe personal as well. but bill gates personal are paid hundreds of millions.

Well the link Jim gave has Federal government on an average $98k (or about £50k). Which from my experience is what UK Govt lawyers would average. Its not bad pay, but its not megabucks
    im talking america, yo. lawyers forrich people are paid millions and other lawyers sue the hell out of everyone else. If we had loser pays there woukd be less stupid lawsuits going to trial.
    im talking america, yo. lawyers forrich people are paid millions and other lawyers sue the hell out of everyone else. If we had loser pays there woukd be less stupid lawsuits going to trial.

and lawyers wouldnt make hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars a year in america.
    Loser pays would enable anyone with more money/access to a 'better' legal representaion, the ability to 'bully' opposing parties.
    I think in this country the reality of the timescales is enough to put people off, my wife is 2 years into a claim.

Jim's source was for the US...
    But still what they are paid is too much.
    But in the grand scheme of things, £50k/$100k is not a vast amount of cash!

£50k as a first time buyer in the UK and you would struggle to buy a decent sized house pretty much anywhere in the South of England.
    You are ignorent and naive. im not talking lawyers paid by the government, i am referring to the lawyers who are the government. lawyers get paid hundreds of thousands a year.
    g_angel wrote: »
    But in the grand scheme of things, £50k/$100k is not a vast amount of cash!

£50k as a first time buyer in the UK and you would struggle to buy a decent sized house pretty much anywhere in the South of England.

And that's average - if you're a senior, experienced lawyer you'll get more and as a junior you'll get less.
    Lol, now lawyers run the government in america, they're paid a hell of a lot more than that.
    You are ignorent and naive. im not talking lawyers paid by the government, i am referring to the lawyers who are the government. lawyers get paid hundreds of thousands a year.

The UK PM gets £187,611 pa, a cabinet Minister gets £136,677

These may sound a lot, but the PM is basically responsible for the entire country and compared to their responsibilities it's fuck all
    The UK PM gets £187,611 pa, a cabinet Minister gets £136,677

These may sound a lot, but the PM is basically responsible for the entire country and compared to their responsibilities it's fuck all

prime ministers aren't lawyers. in america most politicians and political leaders are lawyers. political leaders and senators are paid $300,000 to $400,000 a year. the president is paid $600,000 a year. it doesnt stop there, then when they retire they make millions more. lawyers are paid $200,000 to $500,000 a year. some are paid up to $10,000,000 a year. If you run a huge law firm you could make up to $100,000,000 a year.
    You are ignorent and naive.

You know what? I don't really like your debating style. I couldn't give a fuck whether you have a point or not when you get my back up so. Tis weird that you 'brag' about an uncle who earns/turns over 3 gazillion dollars, and yet you 'whinge' that you can't afford a plane ticket here... My point, not that you'll take my advice I'd wager, but I think you need to lay off the personal insults, and then show some respect for other people's opinions by at least challenging the opinions you disagree with rather than the person themselves. But then, we're probably all just ignorant and naive. :rolleyes:

not all of them do

if you can provide sources and evidence, but if all you have is just speak, then please stop speaking
    thats how most people argue their opinions. if its too heated for you, then go to a non-government forum. I'm not bragging, and these are two different topics. i hate my uncle. make $3 mill a year, doesnt help me anyway with his money, selfish bastard, drunken alcoholoc, i dont want any lawyer making that much fucking money. i want lawyers to make $100,000 a year give or take a thousand, no more. you dont have to like the way i argue points.
    I have asbestos hands; I ain't gonna get burnt in here matey, dun you worry 'bout me.
    i hate my uncle, so why the fuck would you accuse me of bragging anyways u moron. i was trying to prove a point that lawyers get paid too much. by the way dont go mixing topics.
    i hate my uncle, so why the fuck would you accuse me of bragging anyways u moron. i was trying to prove a point that lawyers get paid too much. by the way dont go mixing topics.

excuse me, please calm down
    thats how most people argue their opinions. if its too heated for you, then go to a non-government forum. I'm not bragging, and these are two different topics. i hate my uncle. make $3 mill a year, doesnt help me anyway with his money, selfish bastard, drunken alcoholoc, i dont want any lawyer making that much fucking money. i want lawyers to make $100,000 a year give or take a thousand, no more. you dont have to like the way i argue points.

Lol. We do have to like the way you argue points if you're going to change anyone's mind (and if this isn't your aim, then what the fuck are you mentioning it for). And so far, the absense of evidence or even examples of what you mean beyond "my uncle" means you're not getting your point across at all. Give an example of a "problem" case and how your solution would put a stop to this "injustice" and people might start to get what you're on about. If people aren't understanding what you're on about, it's not because they're thick, it's because you're not good enough at putting your point across. Don't blame others for your lack of debating skills.
    go to a non-government forum.

:confused:

This is a government forum?
    make $3 mill a year, doesnt help me anyway with his money, selfish bastard, .

... and that, I suspect, is your real issue here.
    :confused:

This is a government forum?

Nope charity - and I do like the idea of someone saying - if you don't like this abuse go find somewhere other a charity to talk... :p

But seriously, calm down man, doesn't help you to look like you are having a tantrum because people are asking you to explain your viewpoint.
    i hate my uncle. make $3 mill a year, doesnt help me anyway with his money, selfish bastard, drunken alcoholoc

Do you just hate him because he won't give you any money?:confused:
    i dont want any lawyer making that much fucking money. i want lawyers to make $100,000 a year give or take a thousand.

Why? Do you even know what's involved with their job?

Anyone making a coherent argument rather than going "lalalalala, i am right, not listening, lalala" argues their opinions differently. And that's all you've given, opinion, rather than fact as couple of people on this thread have.

And if I was your uncle, just judging you from how you are on here, i wouldn't want to give you any bloody money either.