Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The protest camp at Heathrow

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Which is perhaps why the suppossed plans for 'direct action' might have had a point. Sadly governments only tend to listen when you wreck the place.

The anti-war march in the eve of the Iraq invasion was completely paeceful. Had we decided to turn Central London into a war zone instead, I suspect the government might have thought twice about going to war with Bush.

The French certainly know how to demonstrate.

I was talking to a lovely *swoon* French lady in a film night and she was saying the police there are terrible and told me how to handle being teargassed as it's happened to her.

I'm a pacifist and don't believe in the use of violence to meet political ends unless you absolutely have to. I also don't believe that there was any way to stop the Iraq war. Just like Thatcher, Tony Blair had the President's thumb up his arse and of course there was the economic gain of fucking that country over.

I do think that protests will start becoming violent, the more that the police and the state clamp down on our freedoms. Already they have the Terrorism Bill and SOCPA, both of which have been used against peaceful activists... For example Maya Evans. Next it would not surprise me if we have big corporations getting laws changed to suit their own aims.

Dissidents won't have a voice and those who do will be labelled 'terrorist', or 'extremist'. Technically under SOCPA, you could read a newspaper article out loud near Parliament and get arrested. Even during gay pride, they were getting people to remove Tshirts ("Queers against Capitalism" I think) and during last year's climate rally they hassled the SWP for setting up a stall.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    I'm a pacifist and don't believe in the use of violence to meet political ends unless you absolutely have to. I also don't believe that there was any way to stop the Iraq war. Just like Thatcher, Tony Blair had the President's thumb up his arse and of course there was the economic gain of fucking that country over.

Just for the record, I'm pretty sure the Iraq war has cost us more than we've 'gained'.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Just for the record, I'm pretty sure the Iraq war has cost us more than we've 'gained'.
    Yeah... What I meant (and sorry if I wasn't clear) was that they believed there would be a gain to going in to Iraq.... It all went balls up though innit. :)