Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The protest camp at Heathrow

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    erm so business interests are more important than social interests?

heathrow is poorly designed and crap, if anything needs expanding its the other airports

anyone seen this months/weeks private eye front cover, says it all
  • Options
    erm so business interests are more important than social interests?
    Well, the success of both is linked to an extent. If business isn't doing well, there will be fewer jobs in the economy, which means less money going around, which means less spending, yadda dadda da...

The only reason some companies are embracing the "green agenda" is because there is a hell of a lot of money to be made from it. They wouldn't touch it with a bargepole otherwise.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    The only reason some companies are embracing the "green agenda" is because there is a hell of a lot of money to be made from it. They wouldn't touch it with a bargepole otherwise.

How so? It's actually quite costly for companies to adopt a green agenda such as introducing greener ways of dealer with waste and using renewable sources of energy. The only reason they're doing it is because there is pressure from the Government and institutions like the EU for companies and Governments to meet targets. Raising public awareness and pressurising the Government further through demos and protests will help speed up these reforms. I don't know about you but we've been ignoring the problem for too long, not so bad for us now but our children and their children will have to bear the brunt of this thing if we keep going the way we're going now.
  • Options
    Raising public awareness and pressurising the Government further through demos and protests will help speed up these reforms.
    Do you really think the Government gives a damn? New Labour couldn't care less. Remember when the issue of nuclear power came up in the last year of Blair's premiership? Our then prize idiot of a Prime Minister launched yet another review into it whilst declaring he was in favour of it all along and to hell with anyone who thought otherwise! And I doubt that Dave The Chameleon cares either.
  • Options
    Do you really think the Government gives a damn? New Labour couldn't care less. Remember when the issue of nuclear power came up in the last year of Blair's premiership? Our then prize idiot of a Prime Minister launched yet another review into it whilst declaring he was in favour of it all along and to hell with anyone who thought otherwise! And I doubt that Dave The Chameleon cares either.

I think the government does care, just not enough. That's why demos like this will help raise awareness and get more people to tackle the government on the issue. Tbf though, they could've done something a little more daring and adventerous than camping outside Heathrow.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Tbf though, they could've done something a little more daring and adventerous than camping outside Heathrow.
    Such as?
  • Options
    Such as?

Lesbian jelly/mud/hot oil wrestling. Sure it might not help the cause but it would generate a fair ammount of interest.
  • Options
    Only because it's the middle of August and the press have sod all else to do at the moment but write about a bunch of tree-hugging hippies.

Amazing! You know the motives of news editors from your armchair!
  • Options
    The protesters certainly aren't taking their protest very seriously, so I'm not prepared to take them seriously. I'm on BAA's side on this one. Incidentally, if BA boss Willie Walsh wants to get in a plane and run them all over, I'd certainly watch it. ;) Absolutely nothing. There will be a fifth runway at Heathrow whether a bunch of sandal-wearing, salad-munching communist hippies like it or not. (and yes, I am rather bored, but who cares? It's a normal state of mind)

and you wonder why people take the piss out of you?
  • Options
    They are a bunch of tree-hugging hippies. Let's face it - what is actually going to change thanks to these protesters? Are BAA going to suddenly say "actually, you guys are right, let's demolish the airport and then we can all go and eat a salad"? Somehow, I doubt it.
    Does this pessimistic approach apply to all demostrations of all kinds? Or only those that support issues you don't have time for?

Would you have spoken in the same terms about all those people who went on the streets to protest against the forthcoming ban on hunting with dogs, and which achieved fuck all? Would you have ridiculed them on this board and described them as a bunch of shotgun-hugging toffs who were wasting everyone's time? Methinks you would not have.
  • Options
    anyone else would have been banned for trolling by now.
  • Options
    There will be a fifth runway at Heathrow whether a [insult deleted] like it or not.

In the midst of all the chaff there is occasionally a truth (although I'm sure it's third runway, not fifth) and this is it.

The development will happen, the protest won't achieve anything neither will the "networking" etc. The people who need to change their ways aren't those at this meet, it's the vast majority of the population and businesses. Both of whom don't give a shit, to be frank.

Change on the scale required will need legislation, and it'll be a brave party who comes up with anything workable.
  • Options
    MOK; then there can't be any harm in trying to pass on ideas and things that people ACTUALLY HAVE DONE, ie: waste management systems for their homes, insulation, renewable energy from micro generators in homes.

Just because (I agree) major structural change needs to occur at the level of policy and business, who both need to be co-opted into any workable solutions, it doesnt mean people shouldnt try in their own ways.

Unfortunately people like SG create a climate in which some people who use their initiative get unjustly vilified and put off.

MOK; your comments about nothing being done by networking and grass roots movements just aren't true. For example: Fair Trade started off as a networking system that put ethical buyers (wholesale) in touch with producers in order to circumvent large scale manipulation by corporate entities. Fair Trade is now a vibrant and growing market, and this all came from the ideas of a few.

Maybe we should all take a deep breath before condemning the endeavours of others.
  • Options
    MOK; then there can't be any harm in trying to pass on ideas and things that people ACTUALLY HAVE DONE, ie: waste management systems for their homes, insulation, renewable energy from micro generators in homes.

The problem is that they are passing ideas on to each other. It's like preaching to the converted. Sure you can share the ideas but you will achieve the grand total of fuck all when the rest of the populations continue to act in the same manner as before.
    MOK; your comments about nothing being done by networking and grass roots movements just aren't true. For example: Fair Trade started off as a networking system that put ethical buyers (wholesale) in touch with producers in order to circumvent large scale manipulation by corporate entities. Fair Trade is now a vibrant and growing market, and this all came from the ideas of a few.

My point was that it's isn't the networking which achives anything, it's what happens afterwards.

Lobbying parliament would be more productive than a campling holiday IMHO. If camping holidays worked then you would see more Businessmen do it...
  • Options
    For good or bad, raising the profile of an issue is what gets people's attention.

Regardless of whether they might have converted anyone, by camping there they have certainly have got many millions more ordinary people talking about the issue of climate change and the aviation industry than would have if the campaigners had written to their MPs, gone door-to-door, etc etc.
  • Options
    Yes but raising profiles on its own doesn't help.

You raise the profile of animal rights by sending bombs to people - doesn't mean its productive.

Samuel Goldwyn was wrong - there is such a thing as bad publicity.
  • Options
    I agree with that. Though so far there hasn't been any bad actions at all so only good can come of it.

In fact you could wonder whether the threats of violence etc might play into the hands of the campainers if the event turns out to be completely incident free. They would be shown not to be the violent wreckers some are claiming they are and they'd be shown in a good light. Though it is sad that you only get headlines and exposure if trouble is expected.
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6949056.stm

So no trouble with the climate change protesters then?

But actually the trouble isn't neccessarily that they kick off, but that they make themselves look irrelevant - which is what they're doing. The fact people are talking about them isn't a goal in itself...

If they wanted to make a bit of difference they'd be better off investing a few quid in buying energy efficient light bulbs and passing them to their neighbours - that's much more likely to have an impact than a few hundred people camping outside an airport.
  • Options
    never said there would'nt be any trouble - and just to clarify 'the protestors' are not an homogenous group, they do represent a diversity of concerns and viewpoints, contrary to SG's impecable analysis.

saying that it doesnt matter about networking, its what comes after is kind of like saying it doesn't matter about match-meeting-petrol, its what happens afterward.

Your observations all seem to be quite valid and I do agree that there will be some differences in methodology; but I do think it is a bit of a lazy assumption to refer to this group as a 'them', who only talk to each other.
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6949056.stm

So no trouble with the climate change protesters then?

You call that "trouble"? LOL! :D
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    You call that "trouble"? LOL! :D

Depends what you compare it to, doesn't it...
  • Options
    A few students chaining themselves to some railings is not trouble, not by a long stretch.
  • Options
    A few students chaining themselves to some railings is not trouble, not by a long stretch.

Well whenever I've been to airports the police dragging people away from railings and throwing them in vans is not a normal occurence...

Yes, I've seen worse, but that's not really the point is it?
  • Options
    polltaxriot.jpg

That's trouble
  • Options
    Well whenever I've been to airports the police dragging people away from railings and throwing them in vans is not a normal occurence...

Yes, I've seen worse, but that's not really the point is it?

Its not trouble is it? It's a few students chaining themselves to railings. Get a sense of perspective ffs.
  • Options
    Seen much worse than than a few rioters bricking police horses as well, but again its not really the point....
  • Options
    Seen much worse than than a few rioters bricking police horses as well, but again its not really the point....

What is the point then? Do you have one?
  • Options
    What is the point then? Do you have one?

Did you read my posts?
  • Options
    Yep. You're exagerrating wildly. Get some perspective eh?
  • Options
    Yep. You're exagerrating wildly. Get some perspective eh?

Er? I'm not saying that its the worst trouble I've ever seen or that it couldn't be a lot worse... whereas you seem to think its only trouble when you get bricks thrown...