Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How many friends do you have?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm doing this because I'm curious about how people look at their friendships and how they classify them.

I have one best best mate, about 5 best mates, 20 or so mates and about 80 acquiantances.

I'm judging that on the fact that I see my best mates regularly and my friends fairly regularly. My friends are people who I can talk to about somethings, my acquaintances are people who I speak to, but only chat to(if you know what I mean)

I'm fairly happy with that, I don't have over 100 msn contacts and just over 100 bebo contacts.

Just for comparison I know someone who is, in a ll fairness, a very likeable person but seems to class people as friends very easily. Would meet someone, know them for a week and class them as a mate kinda thing.

Like my best mates are my closest, dearest people as like my family. Whereas some of this person's "best mates" are people this person hardly speaks to.

Go.

Comments

• Options
    Hmm. Got loads of people I'd count as friends from all over the place, who I quite happily chat to about day to day stuff, but my true best friends are no more than 5. Those are the people who get me ranting at them when I've had a bad day, and the people I don't mind picking up a call from at 2 in the morning when they need a chat. Quality, not quantity is the key with friends.
  • Options
    I dont bother looking at Facebook and think wow i have hundreds of "friends", i have say 6 mates in my close close group. We do pretty much everything together, go out and all that. Then theres say another 10-15 who are good mates and then loads of people i know but wouldnt classify as good mates/
  • Options
    I have 3 best best mates, about 10 best mates, about 20 mates and then about 80 aquaintances.

Best best mates are the ones I chat to on a daily basis, always go out with and can tell anything to. Best mates are the people that I speak to fairly regularly and go out with almost every time. Mates are people I see and speak to when I am around the areas they are, but probably all used to be best mates when we lived in the same area. All these people I trust completely and can tell anything to. Aquaintances are the people I'll speak to if I pass them somewhere and are possibly friends of friends that I'll see on nights out with them etc, but not people that I would confide in or particularly go out of my way to keep in touch with.
  • Options
    I have absolutely loads of 'friends'. Then within that I've got my actual friends, and within that I have my closest friends.

I have many different friendship groups, so I've got a few close one's from each.
  • Options
    Actually thinking about it, my close group of mates. Were really good mates etc but come to think about it i don't think i could chat to them about everything. Don't really have that kind of mate which is abit sucky.
  • Options
    According to facebook, I have loads. On Myspace its less- about 58

In real life, about 10 acquiantances and 1/2 real friends (if family counts)

awww- i feel quite sad.
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote: »
    Actually thinking about it, my close group of mates. Were really good mates etc but come to think about it i don't think i could chat to them about everything. Don't really have that kind of mate which is abit sucky.

I can talk to a few of my girl mates about pretty much everything... but not my best guy mates.
  • Options
    I have about 5 friends who I consider close, then about 5 others through work type things then other more removed ones.

I've never really been someone to have loads and loads of "friends"..I keep my friends close...my two best friends I have known for more than 10 years (not from school though).

It's nice to make new friends when you're older (eg not at uni) but I think it gets harder as you tend to meet fewer people.
  • Options
    Loads!
    I have 10 best mates and fuck knows how many other mates and I see them/talk to them all regularly.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    and fuck knows how many other mates and I see them/talk to them all regularly.

Yeah same.
  • Options
    Actually thinking about it, I also have acquaintances like people you see in the pub/club that you say hello to and just do the basic chit chat but you don't know them *that* well.
  • Options
    I say I've got one or two mates who I could tell anything. About 10 or 15 other mates who I'd ring up and go out with them at the weekends or play footie with them at home and about 100-200 more people who I see out at various weekends and if they're about, I'll have a chat with them. You meet so many people when you've been in the drug culture though, parties here there everywhere and the ole E mouth helps ya get to know people. :thumb:
  • Options
    Oh gaawd !!

Well around 50 - 100 acquaintainces (sp) probably more cos I meet people all the time !

Then about twenty good mates and a few closer ones then one best mate who i can trust and talk to and everything !

On myspace I have like, ten friends because I cant be fucked to sort it out properly and go on it. Bebo I have like 300 which is a bit silly and facebook I have a few. I dont think you can judge an internet site as for how popular you are, if you go by that then your a bit sad.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    You meet so many people when you've been in the drug culture though, parties here there everywhere and the ole E mouth helps ya get to know people. :thumb:

Lol That is so true.
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    Lol That is so true.

Are they "real" friends though?
  • Options
    I have one best friend, my boyfriend. There is no one else I could tell anything to and get such good advice from. We may be going out but we are best friends.

Friends wise...I dunno, I don't usually hang around in big groups, I'd prefer a close group of friends
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »

Not all of them.

As I said, I have loads of 'friends' and then quite alot of actual friends, with a few close one's.
    Some are drug related, some aren't. I have many friendship groups, a couple of groups are drug related and yes some friends I've met through the drug culture have become really close to me.

I have my close friends but I also love being able to walk into any local pub/club/party and being able to chat to pretty much everybody in there.
  • Options
    Uno :thumb:
    But since last weekend I've met a few girls so *crosses fingers* :p
  • Options

What's that suppossed to mean?
  • Options
    1 best friend, 6-7 very close friends and about 20 friends. (that's of course excluding friends' girlfriends/boyfriends)
  • Options
    I would say 2 best friends,one guy one girl, about 6 close friends, and 20ish mates/acquaintances.

The group of best mates used to be 5 of us, but we've kind of grown apart and gone off with boyfriends and things, so now I'm only really close to one of them.
  • Options
    Facebook says I have 172 friends :p I dont know how many actual friends I have... I know who will see most or speak to most in terms of my closer friends though,.
  • Options

What do you class as a 'real' friend?
  • Options
    On Facebook? About a million.

People I'd trust with anything? About three.
  • Options
    People I trust with anything? Two and ones my brother. I have about 20 friends and then maybe 30ish acquaintances (mainly people I know through work and not very well of here)
  • Options
    I only really have a couple of close friends. The rest are more people I know.
  • Options
    I only have about two or three close friends.
  • Options
    Do imaginary freinds count?
  • Options
    I have about 3 mates who are the closest to me and who i'd do anything for, probably about the same again who would be the same if i got to see them more, another 10 or so good mates, and another 100 or so people that i know well enough to say hi/chat/see in clubs or other places.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    Loads!
    I have 10 best mates and fuck knows how many other mates and I see them/talk to them all regularly.

ditto