Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Social Classes and Mobility

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Jim V wrote: »
    I'm old school on this - I define class by the relation the mode of production. Anyone whose worked in a call centre will realise how much it's a myth that everyone is middle class or that there's no industrial jobs anymore. You're still on a factory floor getting paid fuck all so that the owner of a company can make a massive personal profit.
    If it's telemarketing, cold-calling etc in call centres and you get commission based on sales/performance you can make an absolute fuckload. Good salespeople who cold-call people persuading them to buy crappy stocks and shares make £100k+/yr with their bonuses.
  • Options
    Back to the original point of the thread -

imho -

I'm old school on this - I define class by the relation the mode of production. Anyone whose worked in a call centre will realise how much it's a myth that everyone is middle class or that there's no industrial jobs anymore. You're still on a factory floor getting paid fuck all so that the owner of a company can make a massive personal profit.

Anything else is ultimately a marketing tool, and tends to reinforce predujice and division by allowing people they've some how improved themselves when all they've really done is buy a new telly, got a mark on a piece of paper or read some Ovid.

But how long do people remain call centre workers. I know several people from middle class families who did a stint in a call centre before going to a middle class job. I worked as farm labourer before going to Sandhurst. Did this make us working class...

The prejudice and division seems always to be coming from the old fashioned class warriors of the 'kill the rich' variety... There the ones marketing the idea that you're stuck in a particular class and have no wider interests outside you're narrow niche...
  • Options
    Jomery wrote: »
    Exactly. The Bell Curve is a true scientific phenomenon -

Normally distributed IQ results are the product of the tests themselves not science, intelligence isn't an observable variable.
  • Options
    Back to the original point of the thread -

imho -

Anything else is ultimately a marketing tool, and tends to reinforce predujice and division by allowing people they've some how improved themselves when all they've really done is buy a new telly, got a mark on a piece of paper or read some Ovid.

If that's the case, then i'm a state tool of opression....nice. lol.
  • Options

I think I'd probably agree with that.

There is no social mobility because the rich at the top piss as freely on everyone else as they did 400 years ago. All that's changed is that the shop floor is now a faceless office in a faceless industrial park.
  • Options
    If it's telemarketing, cold-calling etc in call centres and you get commission based on sales/performance you can make an absolute fuckload. Good salespeople who cold-call people persuading them to buy crappy stocks and shares make £100k+/yr with their bonuses.

that's fraud by the way, through many of the financial laws we have...

quoting from a finanical advice webiste
    Boiler rooms use high-pressure selling techniques to persuade UK investors to purchase shares in companies that are usually based overseas. Boiler rooms are not authorised by the FSA and act illegally by selling and promoting the sale of shares in the UK

on topic i think an ideal osciety would be one in which people who have the right combination of intelligence/effort can work their way upwards in wealth and status, whilst those, even if wealthy can lose out

at the moment the government is trying to raise hradworking bright people (for the fields they're good at) without allowing for people to fall so they can take their place

giving everyone the oppurtunities to do what they want education wise without financial constraints whislt allowing selection is the best option ie remove the private school system or its subsidies, and instead of peopel of a certain age being in a certain year, let their ability decide in each subject they do (whilst giving them the basics in language and arithmetic) that and give a wider choice of education options from 14-19 - and allowing for more funding for adult education
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote: »
    No denying though that the children of two intelligent people (by whatever measure) are more likely to be intelligent themselves than the children of two less intelligent people.
    But to suggest that this is in any way genetically determined is in extremely dubious scientific territory. Like the claim that the child of a homosexual person is more likely to be homosexual, it has very little evidence to suggest genetic reasons for it's existance, so the claim is unfounded. That's not to say that this isn't the reason, but currently there is nowhere near the body of evidence you need, to come to the conclusion.

On the idea that the "black race" is genetically inferior with regards to "intelligence", being a reason for the patterns demonstrated earlier in the thread, it is fundamentally flawed. Basically the indigenous populations of sub-saharan Africa have four times the genetic diversity than all of the non-black "races" combined. That's whites, hispanics, asians, middle-eastern, all of them. So to put "black" as a race and terms of measurement in what should be a scientifically-based experiment, is biologically meaningless. As a scientific experiment based on social reasons, however, it is natrually a perfectly acceptable label. But the results of any experiment, therefore, will only ever show us social differences, not biological ones.
  • Options
    But to suggest that this is in any way genetically determined is in extremely dubious scientific territory.

Not really,smart parents will produce smart kids. To bring in the class and social environment/opportunities thing doesn't really work either, there are plenty of smart people who are working class and chose not to go to uni, get a higher pay etc etc.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Not really,smart parents will produce smart kids.
    The genetic basis for which is far from proven.
  • Options

I'm not a geneticist so I can't say for sure, all I know is my own experiences and obsevations.
  • Options
    Purely coincidental that parents with high IQs produce offspring with higher IQs on average than those with lower IQs then. And coincidental that the number of academically gifted pupils from manual labour families is very slim.

3 different networking events to meet people doing corporate internships in banking and consultancy tonight - at Umbaba, No.5 Mayfair and The Embassy club. Decisions decisions..:chin:
  • Options
    Purely coincidental that parents with high IQs produce offspring with higher IQs on average than those with lower IQs then.

About as coincidental as the results of the first ever IQ tests on military that proved that the (black) soldiers who'd never been taught to read or write, got on average much lower scores than their (white) equivalents who had been educated. But if you'd like to present any actual biological evidence for your claims, rather than basing your entire theory on your anecdotal experiences, feel free. And all of this is assuming that you regard IQ as an accurate measure of innate intelligence, and natural ability.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    i'm a ... tool

Sorry, you're a copper so I couldn't resist :D
  • Options
    Purely coincidental that parents with high IQs produce offspring with higher IQs on average than those with lower IQs then. And coincidental that the number of academically gifted pupils from manual labour families is very slim.

Except surely if a parent has a high IQ then they can support and nuture the intelligence in a child. Conversations held with the child, parental teaching outside school etc all have an influence on broadening a childs knowledge and abilities. Yes I do believe genetics has something to do with it, but as has been said throughout this thread, a persons situation can have a great effect on their intelligence, so it stands to reason that a parents IQ will have a great effect as well.
  • Options
    Not really,smart parents will produce smart kids.

They undoubtedly will, but to try and claim that is because of genetics is fairly ridiculous, to be quite honest.

Smart parents will be able to read and write, and so they will be able to read and write with their children. They will usually have the finances to support their children; not just with resources, but time too. This difference can mean that the children with the least parental support can be up to 3-4 years behind their peers when they start school, which is ground that can never be made up. So they don't bother, fail at school, go and get a low-paid job, and the cycle starts with their children. And so on and so on.

I'bve no doubt that genetics will play a role in how intelligent a child is, but environment plays a far bigger role. Send a kid to the right school and give him enough private tuition and he will get top grades in examinations, including the IQ examination- if this wasn't the case, and academic ability was purely inate, then parents wouldn't spend £30k a year sending their children to the right school.

It all comes down to whether you believe that the IQ examination is a fair and scientific test, or if it something that is taught. I firmly believe the latter, and the evidence tends to show that I'm right.

When we have children they will be at a distinct advantage over children who do not have two loving and educated parents, but that won't be because my sperm is better than an illiterate's sperm.

What makes me laugh is how Jomery seems to define intelligence based on pay packets. I'm not being arrogant to say that I'm intelligent (probably more so than Jomery as I can actually interact with real people), but because I work in the not-for-profit sector my pay is fairly small. According to pay packets Titus Bramble is more intelligent than most surgeons :chin:
  • Options
    And I sure it's just a coincidence that poor white males have the lowest performance at school - regardless of parental IQ levels.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    What makes me laugh is how Jomery seems to define intelligence based on pay packets. I'm not being arrogant to say that I'm intelligent (probably more so than Jomery as I can actually interact with real people), but because I work in the not-for-profit sector my pay is fairly small. According to pay packets Titus Bramble is more intelligent than most surgeons :chin:

The one that always gets me is in reference to people like Jade Goody and Paris Hilton, when people say things like "well she's made all that money marketing herself, so she must be more intelligent than she appears." No, she just has intelligent people around her who also stand to make a lot of money if she succeeds.
  • Options
    Too many people on this thread think intelligence = education
  • Options
    And does it even matter any more? There's more mobility between the social classes now than ever before - some might say we have a classless system (clearly not, but that's the theory) - and is this why it doesn't matter any more?
    Here are some photos from Ascot last weekend:

n36816722_33898620_2344.jpg

n36816722_33898621_2608.jpg

n36816722_33898605_8414.jpg

Do you honestly think people born in a lower social class, brought up in a working class family would ever be able to genuinely fit in with this sort of scene, even if they become wealthy/successful? No.
  • Options

Do you honestly think people born in a lower social class, brought up in a working class family would ever be able to genuinely fit in with this sort of scene, even if they become wealthy/successful? No.
    I don't see your point. Anyone could dress like that.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »

Yep. Ive had to wear dinner jackets for formals plenty of times. Anyone could blend in given the right clothing. Isnt the point that Ascot isnt just for the upper classes nowadays anyway...

It just seems to me Jomery hates poor people. There are still working classes, middle classes and upper classes but the lines are more blurred nowadays.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    They could, but (a) a chav in a top hat would instantly stand out as not being the 'real thing' as soon as they open their mouth, and (b) why would you want to dress like that if it's not how you've been brought up, I doubt working class people would want to dress like that. My point is there's no social class mobility, a chav would not be able to fit in at Ascot, even if they hire a top hat/required outfit.
  • Options

That doesn't look my cup of tea WHATSOEVER. Everyone looks so twee and about 20 years older than what they are.
  • Options
    The guy appearing on both pictures needs to buy a waistcoat that fits. The one he is wearing is too small.
    And looks as if he has too many colors going on at once in his outfit. Sorry.
  • Options
    My parents have been to Ascot before. They didn't have any problems. As long as you're polite and don't talk like a stoner and interact then I don't see the problem.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    My parents have been to Ascot before. They didn't have any problems. As long as you're polite and don't talk like a stoner and interact then I don't see the problem.
    But how can you honestly enjoy the atmosphere when you're surrounded by posh people who'll have different attitudes/values (they'll ask what school you went to, what job you do etc, and judge you on it), that you're having to dress up in something you'd not normally be comfortable in etc.. my main point is Ascot shows that class divisions still exist - most lower class people would not be attracted to the concept of dressing up like that and spending a day out with them.
  • Options
    But how can you honestly enjoy the atmosphere when you're surrounded by posh people who'll have different attitudes/values (they'll ask what school you went to, what job you do etc, and judge you on it), that you're having to dress up in something you'd not normally be comfortable in etc.. my main point is Ascot shows that class divisions still exist - most lower class people would not be attracted to the concept of dressing up like that and spending a day out with them.
    Maybe some people don't care what narrow minded people think.
  • Options
    They could, but (a) a chav in a top hat would instantly stand out as not being the 'real thing' as soon as they open their mouth, and (b) why would you want to dress like that if it's not how you've been brought up, I doubt working class people would want to dress like that. My point is there's no social class mobility, a chav would not be able to fit in at Ascot, even if they hire a top hat/required outfit.

Why do you have to be a sneering little cunt all the time?
  • Options
    Why do you have to be a sneering little cunt all the time?

It's funny because all the "posh" people I've met, most of whom were (or parents were) far more successful that Jomery claims to be, are actually nothing like the stuck up pricks that he likes to portray them as. Maybe they just act that way to brown-nosing little shits who are only after one thing, eh?
  • Options

Who's to say they'll have different attitudes and values?